PDA

View Full Version : Making a Telephone to Dominican Republic from the US

tonymd
02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Can someone please help. I have Verizon and these are the instructions for making a call. To place a call to Dominican Republic from the United States, dial: 011 + 1 + the 12 or 13-digit local number. The problem is I only have ten digits 809-xxx-xxx, where would I find the extra 2 or three digits? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

HAMMERHEAD
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Can someone please help. I have Verizon and these are the instructions for making a call. To place a call to Dominican Republic from the United States, dial: 011 + 1 + the 12 or 13-digit local number. The problem is I only have ten digits 809-xxx-xxx, where would I find the extra 2 or three digits? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

The best thing to do is buy a 5 dollar phone card and call fron a land line phone this will give you 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on to phone card you get just ask which card gets the best rates to D.R.

You can call from your cell phone but you get less mintues....

Hope this helps....

givengo440
02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I just added International calls on my cell my rates are cheap check tmobile for the rates.

Cuba Libre
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Can someone please help. I have Verizon and these are the instructions for making a call. To place a call to Dominican Republic from the United States, dial: 011 + 1 + the 12 or 13-digit local number. The problem is I only have ten digits 809-xxx-xxx, where would I find the extra 2 or three digits? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Have you tried 1-809-xxx-xxxx?

I never heard of anyone needing to dial the international code (011) when calling the DR from the US or Canada.

tonymd
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes that is what I tried initially, and it didn't work, so i called Verizon and was given those instructions. I have received calls from the number in the DR on my cell, but I am unable to call.

Cuba Libre
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes that is what I tried initially, and it didn't work, so i called Verizon and was given those instructions. I have received calls from the number in the DR on my cell, but I am unable to call.You probably should call back Verizon. (I am sure they will give you the same answer, because that is what their website says, but you may be able to have someone look into it).

You cann tell them that the DR is on the North Anerican Dialing system. All numbers in the DR are 10-digit numbers.

tonymd
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks, but I have called Verizon 5 times and they insist that the problem is with the number in the DR. I have tried to call six different numbers in the DR and none of them work, I have tried with Verizon, but they insist there is nothing that they can do. Maybe I will try a calling card from my cell and see if it works.

greydread
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.nobelcom.com

Dominican Republic for less than a nickel a minute from land lines (some with 1 second billing).

I have different (virtual) cards for 4 different Caribbean countries. The minutes never expire.

They also have cell phone cards from 7.9 cents a minute with pinless dialing.

Maretti
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes that is what I tried initially, and it didn't work, so i called Verizon and was given those instructions. I have received calls from the number in the DR on my cell, but I am unable to call.
Try 809 plus the number, but the best option would be the phone card like it was sugested already.

tonymd
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I have solved the problem. I just dialed 809-xxx-xxx, and it worked just like calling a number in the US. I guess the KISS principle works. Thanks, to everyone to gave some assistance. i just had to hear hear that sweet voice of my Dominican honeybunny. I have got to get back to this island, fast.:biggrin:

Dick Dawson
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Too bad you didn't put *67 before the number. Now she'll never stop calling back.

yourmomma999
03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
go to speedypin.com and buy a phone card, you can sort them out there for calls to land line or to cell phone and prices range from 2 cents land line to 18 cents cell phone. you get more minutes for your money than the cheap phone cards you buy in bodegas or convenience stores, because they have ones which do not charge you so much activation fee and use fee, mostly goes to your minutes. THought everyone mightl ike to know just in case they might need to make a call now and then, this also offers anonynimity because you call an 800 number and enter a code and when you call they can not even tell what country you are calling from, so you can not forget to block you number.