PDA

View Full Version : Interview with new Haiti PM

NewsWhore
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Haiti's new Prime Minister Michele Duvivier Pierre-Louis has told Listin Diario that one of the major concerns of her term will be the civil registry of Haitian citizens. She stressed that this is not only those living in the DR, but Haitians in general. A priority for her government will be to "consolidate the identification of Haitian citizens."
On the question of migration, Pierre-Louis stresses that these are times "to acknowledge the past, but look to the future." She said that it is fortunate for both Haiti and the DR that the two countries' Presidents, Fernandez and Preval are "friends, committed democrats and with the leadership to set these two nations on the right road."
She said that with the re-launching of the Bilateral Commission institutions will be strengthened and this will provide a space for talking about the affairs that concern the two peoples. "As president of the Commission I would like both sides to meet soon to prepare an agenda and objectives for the next two years," she said.
She added that her government is working to ensure transparency and fight corruption, to prove to donor nations that it is working for the welfare of the Haitian people.
Pierre-Louis said that drug trafficking is the most serious destabilizing factor affecting the country. She said it is a regional problem that needs to be treated as such. "When I say regional, it is because I am including the US because most of the drugs that pass through Haiti are for transshipment to that country." She stresses that despite recent successes in Haiti in the fight against drug trafficking, "we cannot go alone in the fight against narcotic trafficking."
Prior to her appointment as Prime Minister in June 2008, Pierre-Louis served as the executive director of the Knowledge and Freedom Foundation (Fokal), a non-governmental organization financed by George Soros since 1995.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#10)