PDA

View Full Version : OTTT serves its director

NewsWhore
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Nuria Piera has done it again, unearthing another extreme case of Dominican government corruption. On her Saturday Color Vision Channel 9 investigative journalism show, she presented the case of the director of the Land Transport Office (OTTT) Franklin Beltre who confirmed nepotism in his department. There are 19 employees with his two last names Beltre and Cabral on the OTTT payroll. Many of them are from his hometown, Guayabal, in Padre de las Casas.
According to El Caribe, Beltre admitted he has no real clue as to how many people work in his department and accepted that members of his family are working there. The report says that the OTTT employs 635 workers and spends an estimated RD$7.8 million per month (RD$94 million per year). But Beltre says the "official" payroll doesn't include an extra 200 unaccounted people. "I don't know exactly how many people are employed by OTTT," said Beltre. Beltre revealed that three of his nieces and nephews were working for him, as well as the godfather of one of his children, who is a sub-director for OTTT. "I appointed him sub-director, but he doesn't even come in, but I do things out of love, because I always think of family, but it's not just him. There are others."
ElCaribe reports that other attention-grabbers on the TV show were the news of Beltre's purchase of a US$64,000 Chevy Tahoe only months after he became director of the OTTT in 2007, as well as the purchase of a Honda CRV. There are also reports of a RD$7 million house in Santo Domingo East and the purchase of five plots of land that doesn't have the corresponding paperwork. Beltre has monthly car payments of RD$30,000 and apartment payments of RD$42,000 per month. After being appointed to the OTTT in August 2007, the department went on to purchase 10 Isuzu 2008 pickups, one of which was assigned to take his daughters to school. His wage is RD$87,000 a month. He defends himself by saying his wife takes care of their household expenses.
See www.nuria.com.do/inicio.php (http://www.nuria.com.do/inicio.php)

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)