PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye To The Karaoke Bar

psriches
06-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I received this email today from the owner Fred:

PLEASE PASS OR FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ALL THE BROTHERS WHO COME TO SOSUA.

Hello everyone! Well the time has come for me to close the Karaoke bar for the reason of lack of support from the locals. However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your support. Without you all, I would not have lasted as long as I did.

But all is not lost you know! I have secured a lease for another smaller bar located on the same street, about a half mile east of the Karaoke Bar. It is just pass the new Le Passion Massage Bar, next door to a Yoga therapy clinic, same side of the street. Right now the name of the bar is: The Cuba Libre Bar.

Please come and help me celebrate the opening of this new Bar. I intend to go all out to promote this Bar and introduce it to the community. I have a total of about twenty girls who are on call at any given time who I can contact whenever you guys come to town. So please keep in contact and inform me of your arrival dates. If you need transportation from the airport, call me at 809 963-7641 or 809 571-1732 and I will pick you up.

I look forward to seeing all of you soon, take care.

Fred Jackson Sosua, Dominican Republic

Phoenix
06-05-2006, 10:40 PM
I liked that place! I met Jenni and Mildred there. I will have a beer at his new place next time I am in town.

LM
06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I received this email today from the owner Fred:

PLEASE PASS OR FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ALL THE BROTHERS WHO COME TO SOSUA.

Hello everyone! Well the time has come for me to close the Karaoke bar for the reason of lack of support from the locals. However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your support. Without you all, I would not have lasted as long as I did.

But all is not lost you know! I have secured a lease for another smaller bar located on the same street, about a half mile east of the Karaoke Bar. It is just pass the new Le Passion Massage Bar, next door to a Yoga therapy clinic, same side of the street. Right now the name of the bar is: The Cuba Libre Bar.

Please come and help me celebrate the opening of this new Bar. I intend to go all out to promote this Bar and introduce it to the community. I have a total of about twenty girls who are on call at any given time who I can contact whenever you guys come to town. So please keep in contact and inform me of your arrival dates. If you need transportation from the airport, call me at 809 963-7641 or 809 571-1732 and I will pick you up.

I look forward to seeing all of you soon, take care.

Fred Jackson Sosua, Dominican Republic

I'll check it out today.......I'll say hi

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Hmm, I've been tossing around plans to open a Margaritaville type bar in Sosua for the last few months.
I had a hughly successful bar/Discoteque in Puerto Rico for 12 years, so I know the business, but I guess I'm gonna have to start spending a little more time in Sosua before I decide..

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I've been tossing around plans to open a Margaritaville type bar in Sosua for the last few months.
I had a hughly successful bar/Discoteque in Puerto Rico for 12 years, so I know the business, but I guess I'm gonna have to start spending a little more time in Sosua before I decide..

Not enough business to go around these days, save your money.

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually, I would buy a spot, not rent. Even if the bar didn't fly, real estate prices in Sosua ain't going down....

Escottindr
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I have been there on many occassions with groups of friends. I never came on my own because if I ever got up and sang the place would have emptied out muy pronto! I don't even sound good when I sing to myself! LOL

Fred is a nice fellow and if you get to here HIM sing you will love it! I will certainly patronize his place when ever I get the chance. Best of luck in the new digs Fred!

Escott

Bug Boy
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM

If you are looking for investors let me know.

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Actually, I would buy a spot, not rent. Even if the bar didn't fly, real estate prices in Sosua ain't going down....

Are you sure they won't go down?

Escottindr
06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Not enough business to go around these days, save your money.I don't agree Jimmy. I think that there is more than enough business to go around and people who do a good job will be rewarded.

I was lucky to aquire the restaurant in the Europa which packs me up when they are busy. It also is very slow when they are empty but I had always planned on building a business separate from the tourist business. I haven't had the chance to do that yet since I got jammed up from the first day in business.

I am now taking advantage of the slow time to finish my renovations which is still going on and I am thankful town is quiet now so I can get it more complete before the 16th of the month when the hotel starts to fill up again and starts rocking past the 4th of July and then into the European vacation season.

Mr. Happy, just come to town and get started. I am pretty sure you will do just fine because you are a class act. Anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Escott

Escottindr
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Are you sure they won't go down?Jimmy, I truly believe that if you buy good real estate in a good area you will realize capital gains on your investment. I have been buying here for years and I am still buying inside the Tourist area known as El Batey in Sosua as I think that anything inside El Batey is going to go up in value because there isn't that much here in town within walking distance to beach and nightlife.

Escott

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Manigault,
Thanks for the offer, but I learned long ago that the best way to lose a friend is to make him a partner. But you're more than welcome to come "buy" and make all of the "Deposits" you want!

immy,
I pretty doggone sure they're not going down, for more than one reason, but most importantly, the current president loves the North Coast, and wants to see it grow.

I only wish I would have bought ten years ago. I would venture to say the vast majority of guys on this site aren't aware of what prices were back then, and we used to think they were high back then...

How many of you guys remember when most of the businesses on Pedro Clisante were closed? When you couldn't drive anywhere in Sosua without seeing empty buildings with for sale signs?

Scott, you're going to be miserable with me. I'll be stopping by your place all the time, and of course, everytime I go to your place, you'll have to go to mine. Hell, that alone should be enough to keep the doors open... LOL

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't agree Jimmy. I think that there is more than enough business to go around and people who do a good job will be rewarded.

I was lucky to aquire the restaurant in the Europa which packs me up when they are busy. It also is very slow when they are empty but I had always planned on building a business separate from the tourist business. I haven't had the chance to do that yet since I got jammed up from the first day in business.

I am now taking advantage of the slow time to finish my renovations which is still going on and I am thankful town is quiet now so I can get it more complete before the 16th of the month when the hotel starts to fill up again and starts rocking past the 4th of July and then into the European vacation season.

Mr. Happy, just come to town and get started. I am pretty sure you will do just fine because you are a class act. Anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Escott

So there is room for 10 more restaurants and bars and they all can do well? I really don't think so.

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Jimmy,
I pretty doggone sure they're not going down, for more than one reason, but most importantly, the current president loves the North Coast, and wants to see it grow.

Then you should do it.

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 01:09 PM
10 more? No, not at this point in time, of course not. But 2 or 3 more? Definitely.

But there are those that open a business, and think they can use their pocket to hold their money instead of putting it in the bank. The guys that think you're successful if you can pull a wad of bills out of your pocket to flash around to impress their friends.

Successful people don't do that. They understand that the big selling days have to cover the slow selling days, and it's all about averaging out your sales.

Also, show me ONE place in Sosua that has any kind of substantial discount program for REGULAR customers, not tourists or frequent visitors.

It's the regulars that toss down 3-4 beers a day that keep most bar businesses going.

For example, I've NEVER been to a bar in Sosua where I've been told "here's one on the house, thanks for the business" after dumping a thousand pesos or more on one tab in one day.

Christ, I used to give away 10-15 drinks A NIGHT in my place.

Escottindr
06-06-2006, 01:15 PM
So there is room for 10 more restaurants and bars and they all can do well? I really don't think so.Yes Jimmy I really believe that there is room for 20 more if they do it right. What would happen is that 20 of the marginal ones existing who Don't do it right would close and the 20 strong ones would stay. Please note "Those that do it right" will stay in business.

I just lost my first customer because I wouldnt let him take his dog to lunch. I even think that the fellow was a little bit insulted, Oh well, you can't please everyone but there are certain things I won't allow.

Me dos pesos!

Escott

Escottindr
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Central Bank to hold international bidding for tourism project

MONTELLANO, Puerto Plata.- Central Bank (CB) governor Hector Valdez Albizu affirmed that land in Bergantin, Los Cocos and Boca Nueva in this province will be subject to an international bidding contest, with a view to developing a tourism development project that will generate jobs and will have a multiplying effect for the Northern region.

See the rest of this article at:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=14226

This story will back up the facts that Mr Happy just stated.

Escott

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
There's a reason you don't let animals in a restaurant, I don't care how cute it is to have your dog with you.
Train the mutt to lay down on the sidewalk in front to wait for you until you come out.
I love my dog, but she doesn't go out to dinner with me.

Rocky
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
So there is room for 10 more restaurants and bars and they all can do well? I really don't think so.
Of course, you are 100% correct, Jimmy.
There aren't enough tourists to support 10 other restaurants, much less 20.
What is being suggested to you, that if 10 new ones open up, and 10 old ones close, does not add up to 10 more.
It is only substitution, and you, as an accountant, would know that better than anyone.
Of course, people will often rearrange mathmatics or statistics to suit their point of view, but in this case, there is no doubt that Sosua could not support an additional 10 to 20 restaurants, at this point in time.

weyland
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
There's a reason you don't let animals in a restaurant, I don't care how cute it is to have your dog with you.
Train the mutt to lay down on the sidewalk in front to wait for you until you come out.

That's how Jimmy treats his chicas :)

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Of course, you are 100% correct, Jimmy.
There aren't enough tourists to support 10 other restaurants, much less 20.
What is being suggested to you, that if 10 new ones open up, and 10 old ones close, does not add up to 10 more.
It is only substitution, and you, as an accountant, would know that better than anyone.
Of course, people will often rearrange mathmatics or statistics to suit their point of view, but in this case, there is no doubt that Sosua could not support an additional 10 to 20 restaurants, at this point in time.

There is room for 2-3 breakfast places and add on 3-4 more for dinner.

5 - 7 is the magic number here.

You better be very good if you want in on the top 7.

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
The way I see it

Breakfast places are Rockies, the Britania, and Scotts. Can there be 2 or 3 more, not a chance.

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Brother,
If you're not going to strive to be the best, why even bother doing it in the first place?

That's what makes competition such a great thing. Something most small business owners do not even begin to comprehend..

Jimmydr
06-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Brother,
If you're not going to strive to be the best, why even bother doing it in the first place?

That's what makes competition such a great thing. Something most small business owners do not even begin to comprehend..

Every Tom Dick and harry thinks they are the best. Many like Rockies and will continue to eat there. He is slow but I never got sick from breakfast there in 3 years.

ilikenyacional
06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Every Tom Dick and harry thinks they are the best. Many like Rockies and will continue to eat there. He is slow but I never got sick from breakfast there in 3 years.

Slow is not a bad thing sitting there and relaxing. There is no rush, we're on vacation.

gdogg
06-07-2006, 12:26 AM
I got to meet the owner on my last trip. He seemed like a really cool guy. I even sang a song there!! Sorry to see it fade away. I just hope that this a warning to all people, with limited funds, who hope to find a fountain of fortune in Sosua!

psriches
06-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Central Bank to hold international bidding for tourism project

MONTELLANO, Puerto Plata.- Central Bank (CB) governor Hector Valdez Albizu affirmed that land in Bergantin, Los Cocos and Boca Nueva in this province will be subject to an international bidding contest, with a view to developing a tourism development project that will generate jobs and will have a multiplying effect for the Northern region.Yes, but what did they do with all the poor locals that were living there? Very often they don't tell the entire story!!

Jimmydr
06-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Slow is not a bad thing sitting there and relaxing. There is no rush, we're on vacation.

My point exactly, he is established with a base and will be around for a long time.

Bug Boy
06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I just lost my first customer because I wouldnt let him take his dog to lunch.

No dogs allowed in the restaurant? Sounds like a sanitary place to me.

Beads
06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
The way I see it

Breakfast places are Rockies, the Britania, and Scotts. Can there be 2 or 3 more, not a chance.

Marua Mai and Bailys get a decent breakfast crowd also. The food is good but they dont have the internet cafe setup away from the tables like Rockys so they generally lose most of my breakfast business.

Jimmydr
06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Marua Mai and Bailys get a decent breakfast crowd also. The food is good but they dont have the internet cafe setup away from the tables like Rockys so they generally lose most of my breakfast business.

So there are 5 places, do we need any more?

Escottindr
06-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't think Baileys is open for breakfast.

Escottindr
06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, but what did they do with all the poor locals that were living there? Very often they don't tell the entire story!!The locals who were living (squatting) are being moved into new construction in Montellano.

I am just reporting what I read.

Escott

Escottindr
06-07-2006, 12:21 PM
No dogs allowed in the restaurant? Sounds like a sanitary place to me.Trying my best to keep it like I would want it for myself. I knew the fello and he seemed insulted I wouldnt let in the dog. Can't please everyone.

Business is dead now. The hotel is empty along with the streets. It should pick up in a week or so.

Escott

Jimmydr
06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't think Baileys is open for breakfast.

They were before, and it was okay.

weyland
06-07-2006, 03:22 PM
The locals who were living (squatting) are being moved into new construction in Montellano.
In my trip report I mentioned visiting Bergantin and hanging with one of the last families to leave (at least in that part of the village, I did not see what the situation was elsewhere, the area is thickly wooded). They may have been squatters but the family had been there since WWII. As we drove out we passed a couple of Federales brandishing shotguns on their way in to help them pack. Their home was just a flimsy timber shack, picturesque but not very practical. I saw the homes in Montellano they are being moved to (only from the outside) and they looked more than reasonable by local standards. This particular family were being allowed to retain their fishing rights but most others have lost whatever livelihoods they had.

psriches
06-08-2006, 12:30 PM
The locals who were living (squatting) are being moved into new construction in Montellano.

I am just reporting what I read.

EscottDidn't mean you left the info out. I was referring to news reports leaving info out!

dbros9
09-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I will be in Sousa in mid Oct - is there any other place in town that has Karaoke? I had a good time bringing some of the Classico girls over to Freds to sing a few the last time I was there.

Cuba Libre
09-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Did Fred ever open up his new place?

Cuba Libre
09-22-2006, 02:10 PM
I will be in Sousa in mid Oct - is there any other place in town that has Karaoke? I had a good time bringing some of the Classico girls over to Freds to sing a few the last time I was there.There is a Karaoke bar in Costambar, near Blackbeard's.

sosuaman
09-22-2006, 02:19 PM

rockys dog has dinner with the tourists every night!

Kevy
09-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Did Fred ever open up his new place?

Yeah, its called the Cuba libre, It is down past passions, closer to El Toro.

ilikenyacional
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah, its called the Cuba libre, It is down past passions, closer to El Toro.

Pretty far away, good luck to him...

ErikS
10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
There is a Karaoke bar in Costambar, near Blackbeard's.

I believe that the name of the place is "Pizza Plus" and they used to have karaoke every Sunday night. I had a couple of fun times there with groups of BB chicas in 2004.

Cuba Libre
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I believe that the name of the place is "Pizza Plus" and they used to have karaoke every Sunday night. I had a couple of fun times there with groups of BB chicas in 2004.That sounds like the place. I went with a couple of BB girls plus some the BB female staff. It's a fun place.

blacksultan
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
That sounds like the place. I went with a couple of BB girls plus some the BB female staff. It's a fun place.

And the chicas love some karaoke.

bachag
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Visited Fred's Cuba Libre bar last night. He is out of town for 2 weeks. It is one of the cleanest bars in Sosua. The staff was professional, entertaining and good looking (19-21 year olds). Very cool/relaxed atmosphere, with music that does not require ear plugs. Front bar allows you to scan the main drag and the back bar (view blocked by darkened glass) allows married folks (some of us who live here are) or those looking to hide from a chica, a good hiding place. It is a little ways from the main action, but some of us might perfer a place like this. Small one's and cuba libres were about 70 pesos.
Frank

Hemp
01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Visited Fred's Cuba Libre bar last night. He is out of town for 2 weeks. It is one of the cleanest bars in Sosua. The staff was professional, entertaining and good looking (19-21 year olds). Very cool/relaxed atmosphere, with music that does not require ear plugs. Front bar allows you to scan the main drag and the back bar (view blocked by darkened glass) allows married folks (some of us who live here are) or those looking to hide from a chica, a good hiding place. It is a little ways from the main action, but some of us might perfer a place like this. Small one's and cuba libres were about 70 pesos.
Frank

i found the overly loud music in a few places really annoying a couple weeks ago.

good post.

psriches
01-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Fred's got a nice thing going. He actually resides on the property in the casa at the opposite side of the bar.