PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$hould I Book Now?

kris boog
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Hello Fellas,

It's that time of year again, when the wife gives me permission to take a trip with the fellas. Needless to say, I am coming (home) for a few days. Since we always go away for the memorial day weekend, I am pretty much locked into 5-21-09 to 5-24-09. Her expectation is that we go away Thursday to Sunday; why rock the boat.

The problem is that from JFK to POP is costing me $522; and EWR to POP is costing $609. I've never paid this much before, and I usually buy my ticket about now.

Based on your collective past experiences, what are the odds that the price will actually go down? And do you think that I should book now, or wait? I've watched the price climb over the last 2 weeks, but I just got the final OK.

The price would be a little cheaper leaving Wed. or coming back on Mon. But I don't really think that it is in my best interest to change days. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kris

moshy2k
03-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Book NOW lol. You will thank yourself in paradise.

greydread
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Yup

Airfares seem to have jumped up 10%-15% since January. I don't think they'll be coming down any time soon. Just book and go. Some of life's pleasures defy quantification. You'll see the return on your investment as soon as you land. :)

joeysterr
03-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Hello Fellas,

It's that time of year again, when the wife gives me permission to take a trip with the fellas. Needless to say, I am coming (home) for a few days. Since we always go away for the memorial day weekend, I am pretty much locked into 5-21-09 to 5-24-09. Her expectation is that we go away Thursday to Sunday; why rock the boat.

The problem is that from JFK to POP is costing me $522; and EWR to POP is costing $609. I've never paid this much before, and I usually buy my ticket about now.

Based on your collective past experiences, what are the odds that the price will actually go down? And do you think that I should book now, or wait? I've watched the price climb over the last 2 weeks, but I just got the final OK.

The price would be a little cheaper leaving Wed. or coming back on Mon. But I don't really think that it is in my best interest to change days. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kris

Or you can buy the ticket thru this website:

www.yapta.com (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/www.yapta.com)

1) Not only they can watch the price of the ticket and alert you whenever it drops.(if you choose not to buy the ticket yet)

2) If the price happen to drop of let's say for example $100 AFTER YOU'VE BOUGHT YOUR TICKET they also will get you the reimbursement of the 100 bucks!! Could be either back to the credit/debit card or thru credit in your favor.

This should really cover any worries you had.:wink: I never have used the system before but I believe in it. I first saw it in a news program on TV - not 'paid commercial program' - real news program on 'How to save money'....you betchaaa!!!http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/posticons/thumbup.gif never thought of sharing it(forgot) before seeing your thread/post(in the new post button). So there my peeps!!

Also kris I am planning the exact same flight!!! 5/21/09 - 5/24/09!!!! JFK <-> POP - $522. Holla at ur boi:corky::corky::corky:

SJG
03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Book it. It ain't gonna get better. Your dates screwed you. If you have the time, and the schedule flexibility, EWR to POP is only $347 with the tax, if you fly down on the Thursday and fly home on a Thursday.

carolinajack
03-19-2009, 06:18 PM
For every trip I've taken since last July the prices always move up as the time passes...so waiting another day - week - 2 weeks won't help.

Like you, my trips have been short ones - 5 days, 4 nights - dictated more by work than spouse - so my departure dates have always screwed me in terms of price...so you may just have to bite the bullet there.

Try to squeeze another day (or 2) out of wifey by explaining "the hotel is having a promotion and giving us an extra night and dinner comp...yeah I know it's probably some time share bull; but I can also save $100 on my plane ticket too if I leave a day early..." ;)

DCIronman
03-19-2009, 07:03 PM
You might try buying your ticket on a Mon. or a Tues. as fares are sometimes cheaper on those days. They generally start to go back up by Wed. Sometimes by as much as $100.

Your lack of flexibility on your dates will make it hard to get a cheaper flight. But you will get get the cheapest fares if you buy at the beginning of the week. Airlines know that most people shop for tickets on or around the weekend. So the earlier in the week you buy the better.

If you check again on Monday and see that the prices haven't gone down, they probably won't.

eldorob
03-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I like to shop ewr to pop 30 to 60 days out. I fly strictly Continental tho. I would keep watching.

And like others said, changing your dates a little would probably pay off.

kris boog
03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I like to shop ewr to pop 30 to 60 days out. I fly strictly Continental tho. I would keep watching.

And like others said, changing your dates a little would probably pay off.

Unfortunately, I can't really touch the days. You know what they say in a marriage, any deviation in habit, actions, etc. raises a red flag. She always expects us to do the same thing, so I'll do those days even if I gotta bite the bullet.

I'm still watchin the prices; they have went up $30 and $50 respectively since I initially posted :mad:. I'm gonna watch for the next two weeks and then pull the trigger. Some chica is gonna pay for this :rofl:.

carolinajack
03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately, I can't really touch the days. You know what they say in a marriage, any deviation in habit, actions, etc. raises a red flag. She always expects us to do the same thing, so I'll do those days even if I gotta bite the bullet.

I'm still watchin the prices; they have went up $30 and $50 respectively since I initially posted :mad:. I'm gonna watch for the next two weeks and then pull the trigger. Some chica is gonna pay for this :rofl:.

I would say book AHORA y RAPIDO! If you're going Memorial Day weekend - that price will only go up. To hell what you may hear about "stay-cations" - people are still traveling in this shitty economy; and the airlines have cut back on flights to help keep demand up for the flights/seats they do have.

Have a great time.

trEPP33
03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
For anyone interested, prices on Continental from Newark to Puerto Plata have dropped $50 over the past two days. A greater savings to San Jose. Wish I would've booked my flights a month later.

whatever
03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
For anyone interested, prices on Continental from Newark to Puerto Plata have dropped $50 over the past two days. A greater savings to San Jose. Wish I would've booked my flights a month later.

I never check prices after I book. If it goes down I
don't want to know that I'll be sitting on the plane
next to someone getting exactly the same thing
for less money.

kris boog
03-26-2009, 03:40 PM

I guess it depends on the date you're traveling because my dates just went up by $30 since yesterday:confused:

I never check prices after I book. If it goes down I
don't want to know that I'll be sitting on the plane
next to someone getting exactly the same thing
for less money.

My boy that I'm coming down with booked a month ago at $391.00; he's already riding me because it looks like he'll have paid $160 more. :mad:

trEPP33
03-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep, the prices did go back up today. I don't look at prices after I book either. It just so happens that my boy who is now joining us on the trip asked me to book his flight, hence I noticed the price change. I guess Tuesdays & Wednesdays are the days to book as the prices increase on Thursdays.

Also, his prices aren't $160 more. Once you add taxes the savings will be about $50 at most.

kris boog
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
OK, the deed is done. The flight is booked. The count down begins.

I ended up changing my dates to 5/20/09 thru 5/24/09; and paying $511.00 from EWR to POP. As I stated before, my budy booked the same trip 3 weeks earlier for $391.00. But it's all good, at the end of the day I know I'll have a great time, so let the count down begin.

Jimbo44
03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I always like arriving on Wed, as the chicas usually begin to make their journey within 24 hrs if they live out of town. It is a nice build up each night as the weekend approaches.

the_Jayman
03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
you got time . . . search + or - 3 days . . .

you got time ! ! !

TropicBob
03-28-2009, 01:45 PM
you got time . . . search + or - 3 days . . .

you got time ! ! !

Even I found time....IM BOOKED BABY! LEAVING IN 18 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_Jayman
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Maybe we can reinstall the "FUCK YOU" button and set it so it can only be used against TropicalBob ! ! !

TropicBob
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe we can reinstall the "FUCK YOU" button and set it so it can only be used against TropicalBob ! ! !

Hey, tired of sitting on the bench as a subsitute? Come on, get off your ass and join me in some genuine debaucery (sp?)!!! HO, HO, HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM!

balcoach
03-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Wish I could join you Bob. This f'ing weather is horrible here in 2 up and 2 down. I has rained and been cold every day since I have been back. June 22 can't get here fast enough!!!

Have a great excursion.