PDA

View Full Version : Carribean Communications

MAV
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes, the store is now open. The name is Carribean Communications and it is located across from Europa, Domino's Flamingo area (next to Leos).
As I am writing this the cell phone sales and rental portion are open and the interent should follow within the next 30 days. There will be two terminals to start and also a wireless access point for anyone who brings there own laptop. There will be a discount for any members of this sight for internet usage.

If anyone has any cell phones that they want to sell or if they have a phone they need to unlock, please stop by. Roger is usually there during the day and he can help you unlock most any phones. I will also be down from December 26th- Janurary 6th. If I can help any of you out just let me know.

Thanks,

MAV

Reel Deal
12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
O lost my Orange GSM chip (and phone number). Can I get another one from you? In the mail, so when I land on the 28th I'll be good to go?

MAV
12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
O lost my Orange GSM chip (and phone number). Can I get another one from you? In the mail, so when I land on the 28th I'll be good to go?

I can have one sent from DR I just don't know what the cost to send it would be. When are you coming down again? Also you will have a differnet phone number, is that a problem?

MAV
12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Can you activate a TRI Mode Motorola T720?
What would you charge me, I will buy a 500 Peso card.

Lechero,

No problem to activate a Tri Mode Motorola T720. Do you know if it is a CDMA Tri Mode or a GSM Tri Mode? There is no charge to activate the phone. The only charges would be if you need to have the phone unlocked or if it is a GSM phone and you need to purchase a new sim card for Orange. The cost to "unlock" a phone varries depending on what type of phone it is , but most can be unlocked for less then 500 pesos. The cost of the Orange sim card usually runs about 300 or 400 pesos.
Do you live in DR? If not, when are you heading down? My Partner is in the store most days and can help you out whenever you need him. If you need more information, just let me know.

Thanks,

MAV

domfan
12-09-2004, 07:40 AM
i see many chicas using orange celulars. seems the network is very limited. puerto plata works well, in my village near montellano its hopeless, santiago is perfect, up the hills just forget it. verizon seems to cover much better.

gdogg
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Mav, glad to see you've opened up! You'll be getting my cell phone business. See ya in a few weeks!

MAV
12-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Mav, glad to see you've opened up! You'll be getting my cell phone business. See ya in a few weeks!

gdogg,

Thanks a lot. If I can help you out with anything just let me know.

MAV

Jimmydr
12-10-2004, 09:31 AM
The computers are on the way, there will be coffee and he will have the second best prices in town. Nobody can beat Rockies at 40 pesos an hour.

BrooklynBeas
12-10-2004, 11:49 AM
The computers are on the way, there will be coffee and he will have the second best prices in town. Nobody can beat Rockies at 40 pesos an hour.

I rather give Mav the extra 50 cents or so... Especially if the famous pasta stand opens in front of the place

Don Tomas
12-10-2004, 11:51 AM

I rather give Mav the extra 50 cents or so... Especially if the famous pasta stand opens in front of the place

Well he doesn't have Rocky's famous breakfast!

Either way it's a mute point, I don't care what's going on, on the internet when I'm in the DR!

Don Tomas
12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
moot or mute?

You got me, yeah homonyns always get me

BrooklynBeas
12-10-2004, 01:41 PM
moot or mute?

You got me, yeah homonyns always get me

who cares i dont care about homonyns, synonyms, or internet in DR..

Reel Deal
12-10-2004, 01:44 PM
moot or mute?

You got me, yeah homonyns always get me(Spoken in his best Butthead voice:) hehehe...he said "HOMOnyn..."

D_W_
12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
moot or mute?

It's moot.

JDR
12-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Now you can paypal Roger/Mav and your chica will be handed a phone card. Never be out of touch with your favorite regulars. Also paypal her internet time so you really do know how she is spending your gringo dollars.

JDR
12-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Wireless internet has arrived here today. Its free. Stop by, log on and have a great time. ISOC shirts coming soon here as well. I even prepaid some phone cards so my girl can pick them up as needed.

MAV
01-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I am seeing if anyone is heading to DR (sosua) soon. If so, can I send them a faceplate for a phone to drop off at the store in Sosua. I have a customer that needs a faceplate ASAP and I am not heading down again until the end of Feburary. Thanks for your help.

Mav

Apos
01-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I had my old cell unlocked and activated in Sosua by Mav and TheLostGringo.
The service was great especially considering it is a very difficult phone to unlock. The cost was minimal and included a 100 peso phonecard. Where the hell else would you go? Highly recommended.

Jimmydr
01-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I like my novia to call me so I sent money via Paypal to the store and now she can pick up 2 cards a week for the next three weeks. No western union invoved at all. :D

D_W_
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if Mav rents phones...? If so how much? Are they bricks or something relatively compact?

Jimmydr
01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know if Mav rents phones...? If so how much? Are they bricks or something relatively compact?

He does or he will soon.

D_W_
01-18-2005, 11:46 AM

He does or he will soon.

Do you know how I can get in touch with him?

Jimmydr
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM

He does or he will soon.

Do you know how I can get in touch with him?

PM him on this board.

Jimmydr
01-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Soon you can sit outside, drink coffee and watch the chicas walk by. Soon you can burn your Digital pictures and return home with a disk. No waiting for weeks. :D

Great things are coming! 8)

Jimmydr
01-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I only saw cell phones in a showcase there.
No computers.

They are coming, slowly but surley 8)

MAV
01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I had my old cell unlocked and activated in Sosua by Mav and TheLostGringo.
The service was great especially considering it is a very difficult phone to unlock. The cost was minimal and included a 100 peso phonecard. Where the hell else would you go? Highly recommended.

Thanks. If we can help you with anything else just let us know.

MAV

MAV
01-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Yes we do. We can rent you either a Verizon Phone or Orange.

MAV
01-19-2005, 12:20 PM
No computers.

The internet should be up and running by the end of Feburary. The problem is that we are bring in the computer towers from the states (they are way too expensive in DR), and getting them there is the biggest problem.

MAV
01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
One of the services we are considering is Didital Camera rental with free photo disc. Basically, you would rent a camera and at the end of your trip we would burn a cd for you with all of your photos. We also may have the option of printing out the photos for you to take with you.

What is everyones opion on this? Do you think this would be a helpful service?

Also, if anyone has any other ideas (realistic ones) on serives that would be helpfull, please let us know.

Thanks,

MAV

jd_mine
01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I've got a question: How do these Orange plans work?? I usually just get a pre-paid card to put in my phone while I'm there.
But this time I'm going to be staying for 4 weeks. Would it then be more cost proficient to get a plan???? Is that even possible as a tourist??

Jimmydr
01-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I've got a question: How do these Orange plans work?? I usually just get a pre-paid card to put in my phone while I'm there.
But this time I'm going to be staying for 4 weeks. Would it then be more cost proficient to get a plan???? Is that even possible as a tourist??

Its good for lpng term. Stick with the cards.

MAV
01-19-2005, 02:54 PM

It is possible, but is not cost effective. The only benifit is if you are living down there it may pay off. The savings per miniute is not much and you have to sign a contrat similar to the states.

Apos
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
One of the services we are considering is Didital Camera rental with free photo disc. Basically, you would rent a camera and at the end of your trip we would burn a cd for you with all of your photos. We also may have the option of printing out the photos for you to take with you.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas (realistic ones) on serives that would be helpfull, please let us know.

Thanks,

MAV

If the camers is atleast 3.2 to 4 megapixel and takes a superior pic I'm in. Save me the hassle of bringing one.

When you have one to rent and the associated costs figured out please let us know. I'll be down in May for 11 days May 13-23 and will use this service if available.

Apos
01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
No computers.

The internet should be up and running by the end of Feburary. The problem is that we are bring in the computer towers from the states (they are way too expensive in DR), and getting them there is the biggest problem.

]I'll be coming down in May and changing planes in Newark. If I can bring something down for you and you can get it to me let me know.

BrooklynBeas
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM

Thanks,

MAV

i think thats a great idea maverino....

gdogg
01-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Just in case anyone missed my reports:

Carribean Communications is a great business, which specializes in excellent customer service!!
:!:

MAV
01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Just in case anyone missed my reports:

Carribean Communications is a great business, which specializes in excellent customer service!!
:!:

Thanks Gdogg.

Magnum
01-20-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey Mav you notice your little secret never got out???? 8)

Reel Deal
01-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Stopped in to CC with the novia and Mom RD to see Roger (nice guy, BTW...), and who do I see there? Tampabukkake, a homeboy and fellow avistion pal I had spoken with just a week prior.

Small world, indeed...

One thing I really like about CC is it's so CLEAN!!!!! :D

BrooklynBeas
01-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Hey Mav you notice your little secret never got out???? 8)

I wanna know the secret!

Nosey Beas

Magnum
01-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Beas,

Now that Mav finally paid me back for the poker chips, I can't. It is pretty funny though.

Mav and Jimmy would kill me! The last thing I need is two vertically challenged guys hanging on my leg! :twisted:

BrooklynBeas
01-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Beas,

Now that Mav finally paid me back for the poker chips, I can't. It is pretty funny though.

Mav and Jimmy would kill me! The last thing I need is two vertically challenged guys hanging on my leg! :twisted:

OK Mav or Jimmy PM me and let me in on the secret!!!

tampabukkake
01-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I just spent 10 days in the DR and I can say that Carib Comm is the place to go!!! I used my wireless laptop and was able to extend my vacation due to the fact that many files I needed were with me. It was better than using a rental comuter.

Roger and the girls were awesome. They helped many a gringos!

Prices for cellular phones were cheapest around (checkout for yourself the other 4 cell stores in Sosua)

It is clean and close to Plaza Sosua.

Good luck!!!

Jimmydr
01-20-2005, 09:13 AM
I just spent 10 days in the DR and I can say that Carib Comm is the place to go!!! I used my wireless laptop and was able to extend my vacation due to the fact that many files I needed were with me. It was better than using a rental comuter.

Roger and the girls were awesome. They helped many a gringos!

Prices for cellular phones were cheapest around (checkout for yourself the other 4 cell stores in Sosua)

It is clean and close to Plaza Sosua.

Good luck!!!

Mav is ISOC and you will never get FUCKED there, EVER!

Jimmydr
02-12-2005, 10:33 AM
When I arrive in April, I will load software and leave bend the cables so you can download your pictures (Sony) and burn CD's.

Kevy
02-13-2005, 08:52 AM
When I arrive in April, I will load software and leave bend the cables so you can download your pictures (Sony) and burn CD's.

Why not just get one of those card readers, that reads compact flash, secure digital and memory stick, then everyone came view their pictures.

Jimmydr
02-13-2005, 11:01 AM

Why not just get one of those card readers, that reads compact flash, secure digital and memory stick, then everyone came view their pictures.

Thats what I am talking about. :)

MAV
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
When is WI-FI going to be up and running?
I like a variety of Hot Spots in Sosua!
Throws the scent of my laptop off to the dogs!

The wireless network is up and running. Hopefully the other terminals with be up by the end of the month.

Jimmydr
02-17-2005, 08:08 AM

The wireless network is up and running. Hopefully the other terminals with be up by the end of the month.

My new home during my time in DR, posting and drinking coffee. :D

gdogg
02-17-2005, 08:41 AM

Congrats, buddy! See you in a few weeks!
:wink:

vak
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes, the store is now open. The name is Carribean Communications and it is located across from Europa, Domino's Flamingo area (next to Leos).
As I am writing this the cell phone sales and rental portion are open and the interent should follow within the next 30 days. There will be two terminals to start and also a wireless access point for anyone who brings there own laptop. There will be a discount for any members of this sight for internet usage.

If anyone has any cell phones that they want to sell or if they have a phone they need to unlock, please stop by. Roger is usually there during the day and he can help you unlock most any phones. I will also be down from December 26th- Janurary 6th. If I can help any of you out just let me know.

Thanks,

MAV

Can you unlock Blackberrys?

MAV
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM

I am not sure.I will have to look into it.

Mister NYC
02-21-2005, 04:04 PM

My new home during my time in DR, posting and drinking coffee. :D

Who's making the coffee...Rog or Mav? Can I get it to go?

hughgrection
02-22-2005, 01:10 AM
How far is Mav from La Passion ? What is the rate for wireless?

gdogg
02-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Very close. He's right next to the restaurant that the Passions chicas go for lunch. About two city blocks I guess.

freakaccident
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Yes but they aren't easy to get unlocked. Search google for Blackberry Sim unlock. From what I understand the software on the BB has to be changed or the software is logged and a code is generated. It requires a cable and special software OR you can send it in to a place to have it done. www.gsmlocker.com does them. Easier just to get an old Nokia 3595 and pay the $5 on gsmlocker.com .

Don Tomas
02-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Yes but they aren't easy to get unlocked. Search google for Blackberry Sim unlock. From what I understand the software on the BB has to be changed or the software is logged and a code is generated. It requires a cable and special software OR you can send it in to a place to have it done. www.gsmlocker.com does them. Easier just to get an old Nokia 3595 and pay the $5 on gsmlocker.com .

You should never pay to get a Nokia unlocked...way to many places on the net to get it unlocked for free.

freakaccident
02-22-2005, 02:54 PM

You should never pay to get a Nokia unlocked...way to many places on the net to get it unlocked for free.

I just called Tmobile for mine.

freakaccident
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Heh. I just searched and found www.nokiafree.org . I downloaded the applet and unlocked my work friends phone in three minutes. Good stuff.

MAV
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM

Like Jimmy said we are right down the street on the same side towards downtown. Currently wireless access is free of charge with your own laptop.

BROOKLYN_357
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Like Jimmy said we are right down the street on the same side towards downtown. Currently wireless access is free of charge with your own laptop.

what's the cheapest phone you have that i can buy??

guttaman
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
If you are in DR for under 30 days a year rent a phone. All incoming calls are free. For your own phone ebay has A460 samsungs for 35 bucks and do verizion whitch puts orange to shame. I had trougle with GMS phones for they are usually locked and need to be sent to Santiago for 400 pesos more to unlock.

xrayg
03-16-2005, 06:30 AM
can i get for selling a few phones can you find out ;

i have a sony erricson t616 and a sony erricson t637

both have a all accessories ( headsets, car chargers, wall and desk chargers) great condition

ill be in sosua mar 26th - 30 at the palace

Ray

JDR
03-16-2005, 08:04 AM
can i get for selling a few phones can you find out ;

i have a sony erricson t616 and a sony erricson t637

both have a all accessories ( headsets, car chargers, wall and desk chargers) great condition

ill be in sosua mar 26th - 30 at the palace

Ray

Stop by in the afternoon.

will_blueprint
03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
are the tshirts there yet?

MAV
03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
what's the cheapest phone you have that i can buy??[/quote]

You can get one as low as 1000 pesos.

JDR
03-17-2005, 01:56 PM
what's the cheapest phone you have that i can buy??

You can get one as low as 1000 pesos.[/quote]

Sure now you tell me. :( :D

D_W_
03-17-2005, 02:48 PM
If you are in DR for under 30 days a year rent a phone. All incoming calls are free. For your own phone ebay has A460 samsungs for 35 bucks and do verizion whitch puts orange to shame. I had trougle with GMS phones for they are usually locked and need to be sent to Santiago for 400 pesos more to unlock.

I rented a Verizon phone by Mav's last trip. But some folks said Orange is better.

I pretty much had signal all the time, but I went through those cards quick.

freakaccident
03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Here's a free phone suggestion. I just went to my cell provider and told them I wanted a new phone. I had been a good customer for so long they just gave me a free phone if I renewed my contract. The old phone would work great as a DR phone. I unlocked it and am ready to go.

gdogg
03-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I always use my old phone in the DR. Even though everyone makes fun of it (it's an ancient 1998 model), it does the job!

knotty
03-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I always use my old phone in the DR. Even though everyone makes fun of it (it's an ancient 1998 model), it does the job!

you can still use those heavyweights? i was wondering because i have one of those sitting in draw. i'm tired of using my regular cell. shit's too expensive.

Dick Dawson
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
I have a Nokia 6185 that I have sitting in a drawer as well. I wonder if I should hook it up on my next trip.

http://www.cellular-news.com/images/cellphones/Nokia_6185.jpg

Apos
03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a Nokia 6185 that I have sitting in a drawer as well. I wonder if I should hook it up on my next trip.

if it works whynot? for a few hundred pesos they'll get it unlocked and hooked up in no time. that is a good phone, i had one too but it died, ugly :lol:

i left a pretty good phone down there, looks like i need to bring another :cry:

freakaccident
03-22-2005, 07:45 AM

if it works whynot? for a few hundred pesos they'll get it unlocked and hooked up in no time. that is a good phone, i had one too but it died, ugly :lol:

i left a pretty good phone down there, looks like i need to bring another :cry:

That link I posted above probably has the software to unlock that Nokia phone for free.

Dick Dawson
03-22-2005, 08:30 AM
It's not a GSM phone though. It's CDMA so it would work only on Verizon down there.

gdogg
03-22-2005, 09:43 AM

That's my baby!! Use it all the time in Paradise!

Dick Dawson
03-22-2005, 09:48 AM
That's my baby!! Use it all the time in Paradise!

Tell me more. How much was it to hook up, rates per minute, etc.

gdogg
03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I think it was a couple hundred pesos. I then used a phone card. I can't remember exactly how much it cost. I activated it again in December, and it was still activated when I recently went down. Mav can answer this (since he activated it).

bpl0116
03-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Are u guys into buying cell phones.I have 2 decent samsung verizon phones model #sch-A310.I alos have a motorola V60 i color flip in great condition.What would u buy them for?ill be down april 14th for 10 days.

Reel Deal
03-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Are u guys into buying cell phones.I have 2 decent samsung verizon phones model #sch-A310.I alos have a motorola V60 i color flip in great condition.What would u buy them for?ill be down april 14th for 10 days.The v60 is a GSM phone, I believe. All it needs is an Orange SIM card and a few pesos of air time. That is my personal phone, and works well down there...

Tonto4
03-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Are u guys into buying cell phones.I have 2 decent samsung verizon phones model #sch-A310.I alos have a motorola V60 i color flip in great condition.What would u buy them for?ill be down april 14th for 10 days.The v60 is a GSM phone, I believe. All it needs is an Orange SIM card and a few pesos of air time. That is my personal phone, and works well down there...

Is it cheaper than buying one down there?

Willie
09-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I recently bought a cheap Nokia GSM phone on Craigslist NYC. It was locked to TMobile.

I did a search on google and found this site http://unlock.nokiafree.org/

I entered the necessary info and was able to get a code to unlock the phone.

Some might find this info useful.

Willie

TG37
09-24-2005, 09:37 AM
i got a cheap nokia at Caribean Comm. for 700 pesos .. With a small amount of minutes...

JDR
09-24-2005, 09:38 AM
i got a cheap nokia at Caribean Comm. for 700 pesos .. With a small amount of minutes...

Mav's store was selling them for 700 with 300 pesos of talk time. I bought one last trip.

Apos
09-24-2005, 09:41 AM
what model? i need a new phone :D

sicpup71
03-31-2006, 05:13 PM
if anyone needs a phone this is the place.