PDA

View Full Version : Arturo fuentes

Andy
04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
This may sound stupid, but... can you get real Arturo Fuentes cigars in PP.
I heard that they are all allocated to the U.S market and that most or all the cigars sold there are fakes made with the scrap. :?

Beachlover69
04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Yes you can get them in several places but I would not buy them there cause they are almost as expensive in the DR than at home. Go for Macanuduos, Don Diegos or some other brand. With the less well known brands you can save up to 60% (from the internet-shop prices) and they are as good as the Athuro Fuentes. My personal favorites are the Macanudo Robusto Maduros. What a great cigar!

Andy
04-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the adivse. I will try the Mac's 8)

bigfroggy1
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
where is their somewhere to get dominician cigars,and or other quaiity cigarsat good prices :?:

domfan
01-12-2005, 07:39 AM
when you go for price only, you will get fakes. brandname protection is rarely enforced in DR, so you can stick any label on any crap. buy at reputed stores, never a brand cigar on the beach.
fakes doesnt mean they have to be of bad quality, but you will be disappointed if you compare to the real stuff.
you believe it or not: the arturo fuentes are REimported, the fuentes brothers refuse to sell them here just for reason of fakes.

bigfroggy1
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
good advice
where then can I pick up some good cigars to enjoy while I am there ???
as this is onother one mf my vices. :twisted:

domfan
01-13-2005, 08:38 AM
i know 2 good places, alas not in sosua, but puerto plata (thats where i live...):
at playa dorada shopping center, the casa del puro, in front of harrison jewellery. and in puerto plata itself, when you arrive at the city, there is a small complex on the left (almost in front of brugal rum), called plaza turisol, shops name is cigar disceont, owner a swiss countryfellowchap.

bigfroggy1
01-13-2005, 06:06 PM
thank you that should work i plan on touring brugal rum plant

Morpheus
03-21-2005, 01:14 PM
good advice
where then can I pick up some good cigars to enjoy while I am there ???
as this is onother one mf my vices. :twisted:

So does anyone where one picks up good quality cigars around Sosua?

gdogg
03-21-2005, 01:28 PM
There are a couple of good places on the beach. There's also a German spot across the street from Harrison's Jewelers, on the same side as Classico/Sosua Life. They act like dicks sometimes however.

continentalmike
03-22-2005, 05:24 AM
I'm bad.. I buy directly from a cigar factory whose owner is a friend of mine... :twisted:

BrooklynBeas
03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
There are a couple of good places on the beach. There's also a German spot across the street from Harrison's Jewelers, on the same side as Classico/Sosua Life. They act like dicks sometimes however.

Everything on the beach if fake! I wouldnt doubt the guy thats across from harrisons is fake too but i dont know.... i think the owner of Maura Mai sells real cigars but they are pricey ... kinda like the food

gdogg
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I got my real ones from Palace John. I haven't really shopped for the real ones. I actually enjoy the taste of my fake Cohibas from the store next to Rocky's.

El Tiburon
06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
The best place for Cigars that I have found and you can rely on being real is in the small shop next to the little coffee shop accross the street from the Classico Disco.

You definetly are not going to find any bargains but if you want real Dominican, or Cuban Brands you will find them here. Unlike the people across the street from Harrison's they treat you decent.

Occasionally you get lucky and run accross a Montecristo #2

sjaak
06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, don't buy the cigars at the beach. I knew they were fakes, and I bought a box hoping they would taste at least reasonably OK and vaguely like cigars made from quality caribbean tobacco. But in fact they don't, they taste like shit, literally. So don't buy those, unless you just like to walk around with a big cigar from an expensive brand of course...

Don Tomas
06-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Real Cubans!

This is a matter of much debate. If you read the book "Rum Runners" which was written by a guy who smuggled cigars out of Cuba to the U.S. for numerous years, you can never buy a top notch real Cuban cigar unless you are in a Communist friendly country or have friends in high places in Cuba. So yes he says the Cubans you buy in a Holland smoke shop are fake aka low quality cigars.

Remember even if it was made in the right factory it doesn't mean it was made to the best standards with the best tobacco.

As for getting Real Cubans in the DR. It has been reported several times by various long standing members of DR1 that there is only ONE store in all of the DR that sells authentic top-notch Cubans and it is located in La Romana, definitely not Sosua. And this is from people who have lived in the DR for 30+ years.

Kevy
06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
The cigar scams happen in Canada all the time. There are only a few in Toronto that I would trust to sell authentic Cuban cigars.

Maximus
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
This site shows you how to pick out the counterfeits. I don't see anything on Arturo Fuentes, but it has many popular brands. I haven't checked all of these in depth, but did notice these label differences with the Cohibas in Sosua.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Counterfeits/Counterfeit_Gallery/0,3390,,00.html

Web Page Name (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Counterfeits/Counterfeit_Gallery/0,3390,,00.html)

gdogg
06-18-2005, 04:35 AM
My luggage still carries the scent of my fake Cohibas...can't wait to get some more. I guess I'm easy to please.