PDA

View Full Version : Cabarete to BBs...

nomad
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Can anyone tell me how far and/or how much a cab is from Cabarete to Blackbeards. I wanted to stop by one night on my upcoming trip. Thanks.

Jimmydr
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Caberete is 15 minutes past Sosua. I took a public taxi the last time I was there but I think a taxi might be $15 more?

Hoseman
03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Can anyone tell me how far and/or how much a cab is from Cabarete to Blackbeards. I wanted to stop by one night on my upcoming trip. Thanks.about 35 Dollars if you come in to Puerto Plata Airport look at the Signs out from with the taxi fares and you will have a good Ideal just look at the fare to Caberete and you will have a good I deal thats the Max you should pay.

balcoach
03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Tough question. There are a few different transportation options my friend.
Private Taxi.
Publico
Gua Gua
Rent a bike/car. (for the price of a private taxi, you can do this for a day)

nomad
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I'll be staying in cabarete and sosua but I just wanted to make a quick stop by Blackbeards. I stayed in the Playa Dorado complex last trip and used their cabs to Blackbeards at $30 roundtrip (negotiated down from $50) and they waited for me. I just wasn't sure how far it was from Cabarete.

I'll probably just go with a taxi.. driving there myself definitely isn't something I want to do... I live in NY and have driven a fair amount in Jersey and I they don't compare to the shitty drivers in DR.

Thanks guys.

drsami
03-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Cabarete to Blackbeards is about 45-50 mins, nice cruising speed, no speed demon maneuvers. By cab, don't pay more than $40. Rent a car, seriously, driving isn't all that bad.

ponderosa
03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Cabarete to Blackbeards is about 45-50 mins, nice cruising speed, no speed demon maneuvers. By cab, don't pay more than $40. Rent a car, seriously, driving isn't all that bad.

I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I would not recommend ANYONE to drive here in the DR unless they have experience driving in a third world country beforehand.

I drive when I come down here myself, but I am glad i did the taxi thing my first trip down to get a lay of the land before attempting it. It does not take long to understand the rules of the road once you have seen it, but the first time down, I don't recommend it.

Also know the laws on who is at fault if there is an accident are different here than in the States. You are assumed guilty until proved innocent here in the DR when something happens, not the other way around. I would also recommend purchasing the extra liability insurance from the rental car company when you do finally drive for youself.

Motoconchos coming out of nowhere, stop lights and stop signs being "suggestions", passing cars zipping around you in no passing areas, idiot drivers, etc. Driving in the DR is not for the faint of heart.

My 2 cents.

P

Jimmydr
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I would not recommend ANYONE to drive here in the DR unless they have experience driving in a third world country beforehand.

I drive when I come down here myself, but I am glad i did the taxi thing my first trip down to get a lay of the land before attempting it. It does not take long to understand the rules of the road once you have seen it, but the first time down, I don't recommend it.

Also know the laws on who is at fault if there is an accident are different here than in the States. You are assumed guilty until proved innocent here in the DR when something happens, not the other way around. I would also recommend purchasing the extra liability insurance from the rental car company when you do finally drive for youself.

Motoconchos coming out of nowhere, stop lights and stop signs being "suggestions", passing cars zipping around you in no passing areas, idiot drivers, etc. Driving in the DR is not for the faint of heart.

My 2 cents.

P

I drove a few times but I prefer a taxi, like you said, its very different there.

weyland
03-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Doesn't matter how skilful you are, you may not be able to avoid some lunatic Dominican and when he hits you it will be your fault. You will have to pay (if lucky) or spend a night in jail.