PDA

View Full Version : Electricity what is the situation?

sarek12345
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
What is the current and can I plug my laptop, razor, ipod, etc. into the wall socket? Or do I need to bring a convert? Looks like I be staying at BB's and New Garden for about a week. Any advice would be appreciated.......

Also where does not buy a temporary cell phone?

Don Tomas
04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
As for power, it's 110 volt same as the US/Canada. Though it doesn't run all of the time but some places have generators.

As for the phone some people have found it cheaper to buy a used unlocked phone on eBay and just get a sim card in the DR.

Hoseman
04-24-2009, 03:24 PM
You can buy one on the street i bought one fo 300 Pesos that came with 100 minutes the guy would not budge off of 700 peso the next time.If you just want to make an ocassional call the Internet Cafes are pretty cheap.

Beads
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Plenty of cheap phones available for about $10-$20 all you need is to bring your passport to the store. I believe Claro has a $10 phone that works pretty well.

Summit
04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
There were guys selling inexpensive activated cell phones on the beach for 200 or 300 pesos, different models, and the more expensive one if you can call 300 pesos expensive was pretty nice for a throwaway.They came with 100 peso time credit. I bought one of each and gave them away before I left. I can't remember the exact brand but it started with a "A" and I'd not heard of it before.

MrHappy
04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
There were guys selling inexpensive activated cell phones on the beach for 200 or 300 pesos, different models, and the more expensive one if you can call 300 pesos expensive was pretty nice for a throwaway.They came with 100 peso time credit. I bought one of each and gave them away before I left. I can't remember the exact brand but it started with a "A" and I'd not heard of it before.

That would be "Alcatel"

Lots of cel phone stores & distributors carry used phones you can buy for 10 bucks. Shop around.

I got a candy bar Alcatel for 12 dollars last week that came with a 100 pesos card.

SJG
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Make sure you bring a travel surge protector for when you are charging your electronics. The power goes out frequently and it can surge when it comes back on. I have one of these Belkin surge protectors:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fF2DlmkvL._SS500_.jpg

sicpup71
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Plenty of cheap phones available for about $10-$20 all you need is to bring your passport to the store. I believe Claro has a $10 phone that works pretty well.

BOUGHT THIS one at claro for 495rd with 100 rd of time on it.
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/594849f5ee52dc82a.jpg

MrHappy
04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
BOUGHT THIS one at claro for 495rd with 100 rd of time on it.
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/594849f5ee52dc82a.jpg)

I don't believe you bought it at a Claro store, you bought it at an authorized Claro Distributor.

The actual Claro stores don't even carry the L7 anymore, if I'm not mistaken.

I was in the Claro store at Bella Vista Mall the other day, and two tourist guys came in with a "Buscon"

The clerk asked the guys what model they were looking for in English, and they said "the cheapest". The buscon turned to the clerk and told him to talk to him in Spanish instead.

He was telling the clerk to tell him what the cheapest price was, so he could add on his "commision"

One of the guys looked at me, and I nodded towards the buscon, and shook my head no.

They didn't get it. The buscon took their money to pay, and got himself a big chunk of change for doing nothing.

I went right outside the door of the Claro office, to a Claro Authorized dealer in the hallway, and bought an "Alcatel" phone for a new GF for 300 pesos, with 100 in minutes.

Stupid is as stupid does...