PDA

View Full Version : For the expats in the house....

yayow
04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
In El Nacional a Dominican newspaper there was an article today stating that the Director General of Migration is requiring all expats that are living illegally in DR are going to be required to get their residency or possibly face some kind of fine. I didn't read the whole thing, so I don't know exactly when this goes into effect, I am in the process of doing it anyhow, but for those of you who haven't done it, you may have to start to consider it.

For those of you who read spanish here is the first paragraph of the article.

El director general de Migración advirtió hoy que todos los extranjeros que viven ilegalmente en el país y que no reúnan los requisitos necesarios para obtener una residencia dominicana, serán repatriados.

KoKi9290
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Yayow
What exactly is it you have to do to get your residency? I've often wondered just how complicated and expensive it is. I spoke with an alleged immigration attorney a couple of weeks ago in SDQ and didn't think he was being straight with me.

prtyr2
04-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I ahve been thinking about getting residency any way so I can get a DR license. I travel so much and am rarely in DR for more than a few weeks at a clip so it would be hard to say I "live" there;-) I'll be back monday night and can already taste the presidentes!

yayow
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Yayow
What exactly is it you have to do to get your residency? I've often wondered just how complicated and expensive it is. I spoke with an alleged immigration attorney a couple of weeks ago in SDQ and didn't think he was being straight with me.

It is not really complicated but it is a process, you have to take it one step at a time. Blood tests, prove your solvency etc. You first have to apply for temporary residency, takes a few months, then after you have received that you have to apply for permanent residency and once you get that if you like you can apply for citizenship, US and DR have dual citizenship. If you become a dual citizen you can get a DR passport as well. Residency affords you certain protections under the law especially if you are interested in starting a business or working in the DR or purchasing property. As far as cost that depends on you, you can do it on your own, but that takes time, and patience or you can hire an attorney who will do everything for you and can possibly speed up the process a bit, as far as attorney's go it is best to shop around and ask others for recommendation.

MrHappy
04-26-2009, 08:34 AM
It is not really complicated but it is a process, you have to take it one step at a time. Blood tests, prove your solvency etc. You first have to apply for temporary residency, takes a few months, then after you have received that you have to apply for permit residency and once you get that if you like you can apply for citizenship, US and DR have dual citizenship. If you become a dual citizen you can get a DR passport as well. Residency affords you certain protections under the law especially if you are interested in starting a business or working in the DR or purchasing property. As far as cost that depends on you, you can do it on your own, but that takes time, and patience or you can hire an attorney who will do everything for you and can possibly speed up the process a bit, as far as attorney's go it is best to shop around and ask others for recommendation.

There have been various attorneys that have been recommended on DR1, the cost should run less than a thousand bucks to hold your hand through the entire process.

Avoid any attorney that tries to sell you the "fast track" process. It is extremely easy to get a actual residency card in a few days, which will not be a valid card, just one that some insider printed with your info for some $$$

KoKi9290
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
There have been various attorneys that have been recommended on DR1, the cost should run less than a thousand bucks to hold your hand through the entire process.

Avoid any attorney that tries to sell you the "fast track" process. It is extremely easy to get a actual residency card in a few days, which will not be a valid card, just one that some insider printed with your info for some $$$

Yeah, I got that hustle on the Conde last trip. As I'm an attorney as well, his story got sketchy quickly but in essence, he would do the app for free, had a buddy at la migra, rules were changing in a couple days, only need my passport number and oh yeah, by the way, $118 for an apostille on the application. He'd have every ready when I got back next month.