PDA

View Full Version : Underground Urban Deli opens in Sosúa

gmalet
04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
The new Underground Urban Deli was officially opened in Sosúa on 1 April. This was no April Fool's Day joke, but an excellent new addition to the catering facilities in Sosúa. The Deli is located in the main street (Pedro Clisante) in the building that used to house Tanya's Pastry.
The Underground Deli serves traditional English breakfast and varied lunch menu that include some exciting deli-style soups, salads, sandwiches and menu's, but they also sell English back bacon, sausages, pork chops, rolled pork, BBQ ribs etc. Clients can also use their free customer card to save points towards specials. The Deli also offers a catering/delivery service.
All staff have undergone food safety training, so you can be sure that everything is prepared under the most hygienic conditions.
Tel: 829-273-9115
Open: Monday-Saturday 8:30am to 5:30pm, closed on Sunday.

yayow
04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
The new Underground Urban Deli was officially opened in Sosúa on 1 April. This was no April Fool's Day joke, but an excellent new addition to the catering facilities in Sosúa. The Deli is located in the main street (Pedro Clisante) in the building that used to house Tanya's Pastry.
The Underground Deli serves traditional English breakfast and varied lunch menu that include some exciting deli-style soups, salads, sandwiches and menu's, but they also sell English back bacon, sausages, pork chops, rolled pork, BBQ ribs etc. Clients can also use their free customer card to save points towards specials. The Deli also offers a catering/delivery service.
All staff have undergone food safety training, so you can be sure that everything is prepared under the most hygienic conditions.
Website: www.undergrounddelidr.com (http://www.undergrounddelidr.com)
Tel: 829-273-9115
Open: Monday-Saturday 8:30am to 5:30pm, closed on Sunday.

Sounds like an excellent addition. But can you get a good roast beef sandwich, in any case it sounds like a place I would like to try on future visits in the area.

I have also heard rumours of a Hooters opening up in Sosua, I believe there was one in Santiago or someplace a few years back, those who have lived in DR longer can comment on that, but it didn't work out. If that is the case, a Hooters would have a better chance in a place like Sosua simply because of the American Tourists that abound, as we know even when a tourist goes away on vacation they tend to congregate at familiar places, and Hooters is certainly a familiar place for the American male.

Hemp
04-25-2009, 08:29 AM
very interesting!

eldorob
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I need Iced Coffee in the morning. They got THAT?

Jimmydr
04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I need Iced Coffee in the morning. They got THAT?

You can´t make that yourself and put it in the Frig:confused:

eldorob
04-25-2009, 09:01 AM
I do enjoy a Proper English Breakfast....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/681649f3096ed2b8e.jpg

eldorob
04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
You can´t make that yourself and put it in the Frig:confused:

Sure, but I want to sit on the sidewalk downtown, drink my iced coffee and watch everybody go to work in the morning.

I will be checking this place out. I'll bet they'll make some iced coffee for me.

daddyooo
04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Frow reading their website, I believe this is the place.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/1483649f38369a6a58.jpg

prtyr2
04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Sounds like an excellent addition. But can you get a good roast beef sandwich, in any case it sounds like a place I would like to try on future visits in the area.

I have also heard rumours of a Hooters opening up in Sosua, I believe there was one in Santiago or someplace a few years back, those who have lived in DR longer can comment on that, but it didn't work out. If that is the case, a Hooters would have a better chance in a place like Sosua simply because of the American Tourists that abound, as we know even when a tourist goes away on vacation they tend to congregate at familiar places, and Hooters is certainly a familiar place for the American male.

There were fake hooters in SDQ years back. There was also "booties" which had a logo that looked exactly like hooters. Food sucked but some fine asses walking around. There was one on san vincente and there was one chica that was skinny but with a nice ass. She caused a fender bender every time I was there!

I seriously doubt hooters would open in sosua.

eastcoastallstar
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM

No Way, I hate the idea! That's like Legalizing Weed. No bueno

prtyr2
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM

There really is not a big enough pool of customers in sosua for a hooters. Look at the american style places in SDQ. They survive because they also get dominican customers. In Hard Rock, Fridays, Tony Romas they get tourists but also get Dominican clientele. Sosua caters to budget tourists as well and many would prefer spending their vacation budget on chicas, rather than for food they can get at home. Santo Domingo or Punta Cana would be better bets for a hooters.

KoKi9290
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Even in SDQ with its populace, Outback Steakhouse failed.

MrHappy
04-26-2009, 08:13 AM
There were fake hooters in SDQ years back. There was also "booties" which had a logo that looked exactly like hooters. Food sucked but some fine asses walking around. There was one on san vincente and there was one chica that was skinny but with a nice ass. She caused a fender bender every time I was there!

I seriously doubt hooters would open in sosua.

The fake Hooters were owned by an American guy that used to be a fairly well known wrestler, who went by the name of Rocky. I had never heard of him, but the guy was a mountain of muscle, with arms as big as tree trunks.

He also built and operated a small water park out on the Las Americas highway, that had one of those meandering rivers that you could float on while you tossed down cold ones.

My brother is (was) a big stockholder in Hooters, and saw the one on San Vicente while here on vacation. He took some pictures, and a month or so later, Hooters became Booties.

The food was particularly horrible, but Rocky didn't care; he figured the pretty girls and cold beer would keep it afloat, but the lousy service finally did him in. He also had a dominican GF who bled him to death as well.

psriches
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Speaking of fake, does anybody have a picture of that FAKE white castles that used to be located across the street from classico???:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

yayow
04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
The food was particularly horrible, but Rocky didn't care; he figured the pretty girls and cold beer would keep it afloat, but the lousy service finally did him in.

Eventually it is like anything else, many guys seem to come down to a place like DR, and just figure because they got pretty girls that people will come. Yeah pretty girls help, but if the food is lousy and the service sucks what do you expect? After all there are pretty girls on just about every corner, and if that is the main thing you got going for you, why should I come to your place, when all I have to do is take a stroll through most neighborhoods and get my fill of pretty girls.

It is the mindset of some of these guys. If I ever did open up some kind of place, I would try to make sure it would be a place at the very least, I would like to go to and hang out in. If it can't meet those criteria why would I expect anyone else to want to go there and spend their money there.

psriches
04-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Speaking of fake, does anybody have a picture of that FAKE white castles that used to be located across the street from classico???:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:NEVERMIND!!!!!!:rofl:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/obsti/WC1.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/obsti/WC2.jpg

eldorob
04-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Speaking of fake, does anybody have a picture of that FAKE white castles that used to be located across the street from classico???:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Castle Burger looking out...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/681649f475682f968.jpg

eldorob
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
If done correctly, a franchise can be quite successful in Sosua....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/681649f476004b66a.jpg

Beads
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
The Castle Burger wasnt actually that bad. Maybe by the time I was eating over there I had drank a little too much but I remember them tasting pretty good for a DR hamburger.

Didnt they used to put mustard and ketchup on them unless you told them not too?

Jimmydr
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Frow reading their website, I believe this is the place.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/1483649f38369a6a58.jpg)

Now thats a great location.:iconTU::iconTU:

JD426
04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
If done correctly, a franchise can be quite successful in Sosua....

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/681649f476004b66a.jpg)
That guy is just a tad dyslexic, I think he meant " Marts Wall "

prtyr2
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
That guy is just a tad dyslexic, I think he meant " Marts Wall "

Is the "greeter" cute?

prtyr2
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Even in SDQ with its populace, Outback Steakhouse failed.

They went under during the last crisis. They didn't pay taxes and were closed down. Tony Romas has been open for about 8 years and in fact opened a second in SDQ and another in Bavaro. Fridays has been around over 10 years although they moved from Tiradentes to Acropolis. HRC is doing well and they opened a second in Punta Cana. Game Works ditched the frenchise and changed names to Trio Cafe and are still open.

Sosua doesn't even have a BK. You have to go to POP for that. In SDQ there are tons of BKs, Mickey Ds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, even a Taco Bell or 2.

Wendys also failed in the last crisis and closed down all the stores. They have reopened one on Tiradentes.

During the cirsis the peso devalued from 25-1 to almost 55-1 and restaurants kept prices the same as long as they could. I remember getting wings at Fridays for like 4 bucks and a double burger at Champions for like 6 bucks. I am talking imported anugus, 2 8 oz patties. They finally doubled the price as they were losing money big time.

prtyr2
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
The fake Hooters were owned by an American guy that used to be a fairly well known wrestler, who went by the name of Rocky. I had never heard of him, but the guy was a mountain of muscle, with arms as big as tree trunks.

He also built and operated a small water park out on the Las Americas highway, that had one of those meandering rivers that you could float on while you tossed down cold ones.

My brother is (was) a big stockholder in Hooters, and saw the one on San Vicente while here on vacation. He took some pictures, and a month or so later, Hooters became Booties.

The food was particularly horrible, but Rocky didn't care; he figured the pretty girls and cold beer would keep it afloat, but the lousy service finally did him in. He also had a dominican GF who bled him to death as well.

Wow. . . blast from past. I forgot about the wrestler. I never saw anyone at the water/amusement park but the location blew. There was a booties on Malecon and one on san vincente. Bad food bad service.

In Colombia they now have a bunch of fake Tony Romas. I ate at the Tony Romas in Cali. Not even close to the real deal. I think at one point they may have been legit but lost franchise but kept the name.

shredder
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
To Yayow's point about food and service...There is a chain of restaurants in Colombia that gets it, Crepes and Waffles. The food is fantastic, the service is fast and the waitresses are practically running to your table. There is one or more in every large city and there is always a line out the door. The amazing thing to me is that they are unique in their success in Colombia...maybe with the exception of El Corral, the best hamburgers anywhere.

This is a generality but it is mostly true that in Colombia the restaurants have slow service and food that is average at best. Growing up in Oregon I never understood the saying "...drag your feet..." until I was in Colombia. It is common to see waitresses and service people literally drag the heels of their shoes along the floor as they finally trudge over to your table. It is common to wait 2 hours for food. There were times I went out with Colombian friends and embarrassed them as I finally got up from the table to track down the waiter and demand something to eat before I died of starvation.

And everytime I was at one of these restaurants that seemed content with abject mediocrity it crossed my mind...I mean one would think that some Colombian would finally walk into Crepes and Waffles, look at the line out the door, watch the waiters and taste the food and....voila... a light bulb would go off.

PapiQueRico
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Eventually it is like anything else, many guys seem to come down to a place like DR, and just figure because they got pretty girls that people will come. Yeah pretty girls help, but if the food is lousy and the service sucks what do you expect? After all there are pretty girls on just about every corner, and if that is the main thing you got going for you, why should I come to your place, when all I have to do is take a stroll through most neighborhoods and get my fill of pretty girls.

It is the mindset of some of these guys. If I ever did open up some kind of place, I would try to make sure it would be a place at the very least, I would like to go to and hang out in. If it can't meet those criteria why would I expect anyone else to want to go there and spend their money there.

As I work a bit on the supplier side of the restaurant biz I see this all of the time. Lots of people who make good money in some other type of work think they know how to run a restaurant. "I'm a Dr. (broker, banker, lawyer, computer tech), much smarter than the guy who owns this place. I eat in lots of restaurants, I can run one."

These are the kind of guys you watch to pick up equipment on the cheap from later.

psriches
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
The Castle Burger wasnt actually that bad. Maybe by the time I was eating over there I had drank a little too much but I remember them tasting pretty good for a DR hamburger.

Didnt they used to put mustard and ketchup on them unless you told them not too?Most burgers i eat down there taste like chicken!!:eek:

PapiQueRico
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Most burgers i eat down there taste like chicken!!:eek:

Those are fur burgers.

blacksultan
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I do enjoy a Proper English Breakfast....

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/681649f3096ed2b8e.jpg)

put some maple syrup on that ass-- IHOP CHOCHA!!!

mho
05-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Eating the roast beef w/ cheddarcheese and horseradish right now. Tasty but a bit small. Came with a Queen's salad that I am also eating, the place was spotless so I will give them them the benefit of doubt and eat my first raw vegetables in the DR:surprised:.

They also have a 99 peso lunch special.

The patio is indeed a nice spot to chill and watch the street scene but they close at 5:00PM. I might head back for the happy hour (2-4) but I have been trying to limit my drinking.

Like most businesses in Sosua, it was empty when I went.

trEPP33
05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Eating the roast beef w/ cheddarcheese and horseradish right now. Tasty but a bit small. Came with a Queen's salad that I am also eating, the place was spotless so I will give them them the benefit of doubt and eat my first raw vegetables in the DR:surprised:.

They also have a 99 peso lunch special...Let us know how you make out.

weyland
05-15-2009, 04:58 PM
In SDQ there are tons of BKs, Mickey Ds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, even a Taco Bell or 2.
Oh great! Now I really want to spend time in that city :rolleyes:

prtyr2
05-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh great! Now I really want to spend time in that city :rolleyes:

I am not saying I eat at those places . . . .just that franchises have a much better shot in la capital over soswer;-) Although if I am working and have no time to cook or head out for lunch. . . .the fact that I can call KFC and have some fried chicken in 30 minutes is pretty cool.

I could have listed nice and expensive restaurants if I was trying to promote SD. I am pretty sure vesuvio, meson de la cava, davey crocketts, Porter house, Bricciola, etc would not do too well in sosua either.

When is sosua if I want a "quality" meal I go to baileys which I dig, but not exactly upscale dining. I usually stick to rockys, shark bar or head to cabarete to eat. No chicken stands or bandera for me!