PDA

View Full Version : Warning!!! Mountain road between STI-POP

Don Tomas
12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
The Touristic Highway that connects Puerto Plata and Santiago was reopened, although authorities warn that landslides could still occur.

Might want to stick to the highway this holiday season.

JDR
12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
The Touristic Highway that connects Puerto Plata and Santiago was reopened, although authorities warn that landslides could still occur.

Might want to stick to the highway this holiday season.

Whats a Dominican Warning?

BigTrick
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Is this the road, when leaving Sosua, you can take a left at a fork before you get to POP. This road takes you up thru the mountians then to STI. Alot of people says this way is quicker. It's seems about equal distance as taking the main road thru POP.

domfan
12-21-2004, 02:17 PM
its about 7 km shorter, exept when you fall down a landslide :?

Don Tomas
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM

The point where you make a left (coming from Sosua) until you get to Santiago is 43km.

The LONG way around is 68km from the above mentioned left turn! It's 46 miles from the southwest side of Puerto Plata to Santiago alone!

Time wise has to many factors...

Long Way: Can you speed on the highway? Not get stuck behind slow trucks? What time of the day are you coming through PP, traffic can get bad during the day?

Short Way: You really can't speed through the mountains so it's pretty consistant. Of course sometimes you get stuck behind a slow car/truck, also watch out for the school kids, mules/horses, etc.

The mountain route is pretty consistant and you can make it in 45-60 minutes depending on time of day and such. But as a driver try not to sight see, keep your eyes on the road.

The highway route is crazy but I have never made it in less then 1:15 and even then I was SPEEDING, followed someone going 90MPH all the way from Santiago to Puerto Plata.

JDR
12-21-2004, 03:03 PM
I did all three ways and always got stuck behind, cars, trucks and horses. :(

BigTrick
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I have better times on the main road because I do be speeding.....but it's some good eye candy on the mountain roads. I was even thinking about going to a disco I saw on the side of the road in the mountains

domfan
12-21-2004, 03:49 PM
as i had my cigar factory in tamboril, i drove that road twice per week. i liked it, since i am from an mountain country, great view too. but it got dangerous: potholes, slides.
right where you cross the river, at YASSICA, there has been a joint, opened alwaus about at 5:00pm. i picked up twice a chica, i loved them clad in their tight jeans, the real dominican butts......

JDR
12-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I have better times on the main road because I do be speeding.....but it's some good eye candy on the mountain roads. I was even thinking about going to a disco I saw on the side of the road in the mountains

Thats only because you are The Big Trick (Only if you are 5 feet 2 inches tall :D )

BigTrick
12-21-2004, 05:17 PM

Thats only because you are The Big Trick (Only if you are 5 feet 2 inches tall :D )

That means we the same hight.... :lol:

Reel Deal
12-21-2004, 07:24 PM
The mountain route is a BEAUTIFUL drive!

JD
12-22-2004, 02:45 AM
I have some nice photos along the route from a few years back.

I also wondered about those places along the road. I remember seeing
some eye candy along the way but was rushing back to Moca on that trip and couldn't stop.

JD

BrooklynBeas
12-22-2004, 08:17 AM

LMAO!

BrooklynBeas
12-22-2004, 08:20 AM

That wasnt a disco... it was a truck with a system and people dancing around the truck... :D

continentalmike
12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
mountainroad has a better view, is more tranquil and has opp to pick up chica's.. what more do you want.. i like this road because of the views and it's quicker than the long road for me..

At night I would recommend the long way though ... jejejeje

Also you might want to try the Moca to Sabaneta mountainroad a few times.. that's really nice as well.. beautiful scenery

domfan
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM

That wasnt a disco... it was a truck with a system and people dancing around the truck... :D

ther IS a disco (una barra) at yassica, when you cross the river.

Don Tomas
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM

ther IS a disco (una barra) at yassica, when you cross the river.

I drove the mountain road last trip at 2am, the above-mentioned disco was the only place open on the road. Nice part there was absolutely no traffic on the road either at that time.

BigTrick
12-22-2004, 02:05 PM

That's basicly how it was when I went to the Monument in Santiago. I like parties like that...reminds me of the FreakNik days

Don Tomas
12-22-2004, 02:25 PM

That's basicly how it was when I went to the Monument in Santiago. I like parties like that...reminds me of the FreakNik days

The Monument is like that every day at dusk!

BrooklynBeas
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
mountainroad has a better view, is more tranquil and has opp to pick up chica's.. what more do you want.. i like this road because of the views and it's quicker than the long road for me..

At night I would recommend the long way though ... jejejeje

Also you might want to try the Moca to Sabaneta mountainroad a few times.. that's really nice as well.. beautiful scenery

When you get close to Moca end of the road make sure you go slow there are a shitload of twists and turns!!!

continentalmike
12-22-2004, 05:08 PM
so :?:

JDR
12-23-2004, 03:52 PM
We took this road and its BAD news. A few houses rather shacks few off the cliffs. We almost went off the cliff but its not my time yet.

JDR
12-23-2004, 03:52 PM
We took this road and its BAD news. A few houses rather shacks few off the cliffs. We almost went off the cliff but its not my time yet.

Don Tomas
01-04-2005, 04:51 PM

My overall impression of the road and what changed: I drove it 9 times this past trip.

Yes a bunch of houses close to the Santiago side collasped.

Other then that I noticed two additional missing shoulders but marked and less then a foot loss.

Yes the previous bad parts are still there, just adding what's new.

2600 miles driven in the DR now. I can almost drive the mountain route blindfolded.

continentalmike
01-05-2005, 02:27 AM

My overall impression of the road and what changed: I drove it 9 times this past trip.

Yes a bunch of houses close to the Santiago side collasped.

Other then that I noticed two additional missing shoulders but marked and less then a foot loss.

Yes the previous bad parts are still there, just adding what's new.

2600 miles driven in the DR now. I can almost drive the mountain route blindfolded.

Thanks for the factual info.. now we're getting somewhere..

BTW 2600 miles driven.. do you keep a log?

Don Tomas
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the factual info.. now we're getting somewhere..

BTW 2600 miles driven.. do you keep a log?

I check the mileage on rental cars, always have even though you don't get charged by the mile.

Reel Deal
01-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Took the road from Santiago Saturday 1/08 morning. It's fine now, and has been cleared of debris (for now). Some pretty bad mudslides were there, no doubt. I hope there was no one in the shacks that fell into the valley...

I love to see the innovative way the Dominican kids find to make a few pesos. I saw a new one (for me); 2 kids clearing rocks and packing fresh dirt into holes on a bad stretch of road. They were working their asses off, all covered in mud, and actually making progress-something the DR government can't seem to do. My novia praised them, and gave them each two 5 peso coins...

Jimmydr
01-10-2005, 09:24 AM
My novia praised them, and gave them each two 5 peso coins...

Thats enough for some candy, more than their parents ever gave them.

BROOKLYN_357
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
i have only been there once, but is that the same road you can take to get to santiago??....if so, i saw a lot of prospects when we was driving and that's where i was going to look during the day, to add someone on to the playing roster, lol

Jimmydr
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
i have only been there once, but is that the same road you can take to get to santiago??....if so, i saw a lot of prospects when we was driving and that's where i was going to look during the day, to add someone on to the playing roster, lol

There are 3 ways from Sosua, all have candy on the road.

continentalmike
01-10-2005, 02:54 PM

There are 3 ways from Sosua, all have candy on the road.

word.. just drive down the road with your windows open and bachata/reggeaton playing