PDA

View Full Version : Last minute advice please

shredder
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm getting ready for the 4/28 arrival and am wondering about carrying US dollars. The SeaBreeze, NG and other hotels ask for payment in dollars. So what do I do...bring all dollars necessary for the trip on the plane? And that means if I am staying in one hotel for a week and then switching hotels...I will have to hold those dollars for a week? Where? In the safe? Is this the standard operating proceedure or am I missing a double secret, super clever, mongering method of hiding money in my crotch where no chica would ever find it....and hopefully no guy either.

Besides the hotels, airport tax and the airport taxi what will I need US dollars for? Everything else will be in pesos...yes? Chicas, restaurants, bars, taxis, etc?

DCIronman
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you may be stuck with carrying dollars for your hotels. Unless you want to pay in advance (unadvisable). Make sure that there is a safe in your room.

But you should use pesos for everything else.

daddyooo
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
You won't have to bring a ton of cash, there are plenty of ATMs in town, but they only spit out pesos and be sure to keep your card in your safe till you need it. Have a great trip!

bentwire
04-26-2009, 08:05 PM
You won't have to bring a ton of cash, there are plenty of ATMs in town, but they only spit out pesos and be sure to keep your card in your safe till you need it. Have a great trip!

excelent advice,, here is another secret ,,, western union your self 1,000 dollars US cash and then when your ready to pay go to western union office in sosua and get the money,
you can do this for what ever size US dollar amount you may need, just remember to get the money before going back home, this way you do not need to carry the cash or have it in your hotel room

Probably only finaincial benificial if your going to stay over two weeks as western Union isnt free

credit cards can also be used but there is a upcharge do to processing fees

nothing wrong with paying in pesos either,, many ATMs around sosua just make sure you let your bank know your going out of the country so they do not suspect card theft, also remove any limits on daily draws

you can always load money into your paypal account when on out of country adventures, when you need some dough send a western union to yourself though paypal.

Marco at Rockies is also very trustable and many of us keep loot in his safe while we are in sosua, however if you dont know him i could see your discomfort with this

blacksultan
04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Go down there and shred some pussy since you claim to be a shredder. Have fun.

ralphie1
04-26-2009, 11:24 PM
buy yourself a money belt. very easy to put a couple grand in one hundred dollar bills in it.

nobody will be the wiser

blacksultan
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
buy yourself a money belt. very easy to put a couple grand in one hundred dollar bills in it.

nobody will be the wiser

Easy, but not too wise.

ralphie1
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
why not to wise?

bklyndrguy
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
i just came back from DR it was my 11th time and i allways take with me about 5000 in cash i keep it in the safe so far i didnt have any problam whatsoever but i dont use cash only to pay the hotel i change money like every day or two the way i bring it i split it in 2 packs most of it in 100 bills and i keep it in 2 pockets than ill take about 50 in $1 for tips and a few 20 and 5 have fun and nothing to worry

Jimmydr
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
i just came back from DR it was my 11th time and i allways take with me about 5000 in cash i keep it in the safe so far i didnt have any problam whatsoever but i dont use cash only to pay the hotel i change money like every day or two the way i bring it i split it in 2 packs most of it in 100 bills and i keep it in 2 pockets than ill take about 50 in $1 for tips and a few 20 and 5 have fun and nothing to worry

Are you CRAZY? $5,000? I carry paypal, a back up card and $300.

Jimmydr
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
why not to wise?

Use bank cards and never think about getting your money taken.:iconTU:

blacksultan
04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Also, one should only carry the minimum they would need for a day's activities.

weyland
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Also, one should only carry the minimum they would need for a day's activities.
I assume you mean "carry the maximum they would need for a day's activities." If you always carried the minimum you would be constantly running out of money whenever you needed to spend a few pesos more for contingencies.

blacksultan
04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
I assume you mean "carry the maximum they would need for a day's activities." If you always carried the minimum you would be constantly running out of money whenever you needed to spend a few pesos more for contingencies.

I would rather run to the ATM or room to get cash than carry a large sum that can be potentially stolen or lost. I like to err on the side of caution.

WSJ3
04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Are you CRAZY? $5,000? I carry paypal, a back up card and $300.

I travel with large amounts of cash and have never been robbed. It all depends on your personality.

If you are a heavy drinking borderline alcoholic then you shouldn't carry cash.

But if you can maintain and focus use a safe...then its the same as carrying your bank card or travelers checks.

blacksultan
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I travel with large amounts of cash and have never been robbed. It all depends on your personality.

But if you can maintain and focus use a safe...then its the same as carrying your bank card or travelers checks.

Personality doesn't mean jack shit if a Dominican muthafucka decides to put a gun to your head. Please don't say that you are going to kick his ass. That ain't gonna happen.

SJG
04-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Personality doesn't mean jack shit if a Dominican muthafucka decides to put a gun to your head. Please don't say that you are going to kick his ass. That ain't gonna happen.

In all the years I've been going to the DR, the even more years I've read about going to the DR, and all the guys I've talked with who have been to the DR, I've never heard of any tourist, ever, having a gun put to his head and being forced to open his safe and hand over his stuff.

There is always a first time for everything, but I do believe, as jd246 stated in the chica stabbing thread, anyone that would do that and disrupt the tourist flow of cash would be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly.

blacksultan
04-29-2009, 01:22 AM
True, but desparate people do desparate things in desparate circumstances, making them unpredictable.

prtyr2
04-29-2009, 09:26 AM

I am with you. I tend to go bar hopping in SD and can't budget how much for taxis, beer, drinks and chicas. I always have at least 10k pesos just in case. Often 5k in my wallet and 5k lose in my pocket and I use that to pay. I only dip into the second 5k if needed. I also use a debit card to pay for any meals or drinks in reputable places so as to keep the cash ready.

10 years and never been robbed. If I do get robbed it would not be more than a few hundred bucks. I went out monday night with 12k pesos and 100 USD plus debit card.

voltage69
04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
i bring cash when i go now. no one is going to try to rob you in the airport cause for all they know you may only have travelers checks. then the taxi drops you at the hotel and right after i check in the money goes in the safe. in sosua i cash in 100 bucks on the way to the club at night.. thats usually enough for the night out and the chica youre gonna grab. during the day i cash in 100 or whatever is needed for meals/massages/quickies. occasionally i go to the bank and get money from the atm (5 dollar fee) if i feel my cash supply is running low. i like to go home with some american dollars for taxi rides and stuff at home. plus you never know exactly how much your bar/food tab is going to be at the hotel.

Hemp
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
This has been my routine for almost 3 yrs, Never been robbed or lost any money! I only carry maybe 2 or 3 thousand pesos with me MAX through out the day. Usually i have already set aside TLN/ST pesos in the safe since i always give the/my fixed rate of 1500 ST 2000 TLN. (Ive been thinking about setting up a pay pal account or a seperate bank debit card and keep a couple thousand USD on there for ABSOLUTE emergencies only) We'll see.

WSJ3 said it best, its personality...maintain focus and no heavy drinking, common sense and basic street smarts go a long way.

i bring cash. no one is going to try to rob you in the airport cause for all they know you may only have travelers checks. then the taxi drops you at the hotel and right after i check in the money goes in the safe.

moshy2k
04-30-2009, 07:15 PM
no heavy drinking.

Umm, what do you mean no heavy drinking.... I recall you breaking 2 glasses and spilling a drink on a bartender cause you couldn't handle the Cuba Libre's.....

Hemp
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
That was an accident!!! ;) it was Ericks fault...he was distracting me

And you best not talk about heavy drinking...we could be enjoying some cuba libre's or some Benedictas at sosua life and moshy visits the porcelain god at least once per trip!!! he's a borderline slush :eek:

:rofl:

Umm, what do you mean no heavy drinking.... I recall you breaking 2 glasses and spilling a drink on a bartender cause you couldn't handle the Cuba Libre's.....

DCIronman
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I stopped drinking heavily when in the DR and it had nothing to do with handling money. It was causing me to put a serious hurtin on the toto and I got tired of hearing "por que no leche?"

balcoach
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Do what ever makes you happy with your $. Use cash, use atm, use pay pal, use USD, use DR pesos, use columbian pesos. What ever it is YOU do, and YOU feel good with, do it smart, do it wise nd have a great time.
I appreciate all the suggestions to our new brotheren. But we each have our own way to operate while in country.

Love Peace and Chicken Grease.

Hoseman
05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Do what ever makes you happy with your $. Use cash, use atm, use pay pal, use USD, use DR pesos, use columbian pesos. What ever it is YOU do, and YOU feel good with, do it smart, do it wise nd have a great time.
I appreciate all the suggestions to our new brotheren. But we each have our own way to operate while in country.

Love Peace and Chicken Grease.Very good advise here.