PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Food..

nomad
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Are there any good stands or restaurants with good authentic dominican food? It seems like a lot of everything else (italian, mexican, american).

weyland
04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Si Seņor

Dozens of them! One of the most convenient is Susana's, near and on the same side as the Europa Hotel. (Someone else please give more precise directions). A very limited selection of Dominican food (only) but it is cheap and I never heard of anyone getting food poisoning yet. (If anyone knows differently please let us know). A good place to feed your chica. One grade up from a roadside stall or stand but won't break the bank. Also a pleasant environment in a peaceful courtyard.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3531c2f03.jpg

This is the eponymous Susana:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3532289f3.jpg

Jimmydr
04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree, start there.

Hoseman
04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Si Seņor

Dozens of them! One of the most convenient is Susana's, near and on the same side as the Europa Hotel. (Someone else please give more precise directions). A very limited selection of Dominican food (only) but it is cheap and I never heard of anyone getting food poisoning yet. (If anyone knows better please let us know). A good place to feed your chica. One grade up from a roadside stall or stand but won't break the bank. Also a pleasant environment in a peaceful courtyard.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3531c2f03.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3532289f3.jpg)I ate there last trip.I agree with Weyland.It's not as far as Europa it's a little past Super ,Super just ask someone.I always eat Dominican food while I am down there that's one reason I like an Apt. also I have had girls Cook.It's kind of good establishing realionship with a couple of girls.I been to Charmicols for some good meals.

nomad
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Ok great thanks. I'd like to have at least a few authentic dominican meals. I'm sure NY dominican food is comparable.

WickedWillie
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Lunch time only cafeteria next to Baileys

Couple of places on the left past Passions, one is behind the carneceria

Big place out on the main road near the Coastal gas station

Most places, including PJ's, Pedro McMurphys etc etc do a 'Dominican' dish of the day - usually chicken rice and beans, it ain't difficult

All are good and I don't know the names of any of them

Hoseman
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
There is also a Chicken stand down towards Passion's across from 4 Roses that I get Chicken from.there is one in the Cpmplex that Seacrets is in but the Ladt tried to overchrage me till let her know what I paid at Susan's for the samething.

MrHappy
04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
try eating dominican for breakfast. Something like Mangu with fried eggs or fried cheese, or Yautia with fried salami and plantains, or maybe some batata.
That stuff grows on ya, and it's dirt cheap.

gmalet
04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Believe it or not but the Brittania has a good Dominican lunch special.

Hoseman
04-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Believe it or not but the Brittania has a good Dominican lunch special.Hope it's cheaper than their breakfast.

Juggles
05-01-2009, 05:31 AM
try eating dominican for breakfast. Something like Mangu with fried eggs or fried cheese, or Yautia with fried salami and plantains, or maybe some batata.
That stuff grows on ya, and it's dirt cheap.

I always thought Dominican Breakfast was an Empanada and a Chinola....

gmalet
05-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Hope it's cheaper than their breakfast.

I never thought their breakfast was that expensive. Its about 5 bucks right? I pay 8 to 10 dollars for breakfast here in Chicago.

The lunch is about 3 or 4 bucks. Is that expensive???

Hoseman
05-01-2009, 07:09 AM
I never thought their breakfast was that expensive. Its about 5 bucks right? I pay 8 to 10 dollars for breakfast here in Chicago.

The lunch is about 3 or 4 bucks. Is that expensive???I don't recall exactly.i went there because i wanted something different from rockey's i remember my bill being a little more than twice as much.But in all fairness it was very good and more variety I also ate breakfast at Pedro Murphy's my bill was comparable.Now that I think about it may have been what I ordered.

tonymd
05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
I highly recommend Sosuana, and tghe little chicken stand on the side going to lapassions. They are both good and cheap.

gmalet
05-02-2009, 07:17 AM
If you ask Willie in advance at the New Garden to cook you some Dominican food he will. He is a great cook as well.

Jimmydr
05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
If you ask Willie in advance at the New Garden to cook you some Dominican food he will. He is a great cook as well.

He did a dinner for 20 for me in July 2007.:iconTU::iconTU:

MegaSquirt
05-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I always thought Dominican Breakfast was an Empanada and a Chinola....

I'll take an empanada anytime of the day. :wink::wink:

MrHappy
05-03-2009, 07:09 AM
As far as the OP's question is concerned, it really is tough to find an authentic dominican restaurant.

The vast majority of dominicans depend on good cheap food prepared by others. I would venture to guess that probably 1 household in every 10 have a woman that prepares a large portion of food everyday, then sells most of it to others.

There are also many small "comedors" that only have one or two tables, that you could walk right by and not notice. They stay in business because their food is good, not because they have an attractive ambiance.

Just look around you at lunchtime, and see how many motoconchos you see carrying plastic bags or cardboard cartons full of styrofoam food containers. All of that food comes from the locals.

If you want to try dominican food, give a hundred pesos to a trusted motoconcho, and ask him to bring you "La bandera"

Shadowdweller
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Have to agree with a poster above, lunch at the cafeteria next to Baileys is great.

KoKi9290
05-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I like El Choclo on the road toward Cabarete. Not cheap like Suzanna's but not expensive either. Always good food and good sized portions.

For great cheap seafood, try the little restaurant, Pescaderia Don Pancho, just the other side of the bridge in Cangejo. Maimon like deep fried fish, papas fritas and salad with drink for about 200P. Also cangrejo, lambi, camarones and langostos - all cheap.

tomgueguen
05-15-2009, 10:07 PM
If you want to try dominican food, give a hundred pesos to a trusted motoconcho, and ask him to bring you "La bandera"

Do you mean those 2 words "trusted" and "motoconcho" in a town like Sosua can go together???

psriches
05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Si Seņor

Dozens of them! One of the most convenient is Susana's, near and on the same side as the Europa Hotel. (Someone else please give more precise directions). A very limited selection of Dominican food (only) but it is cheap and I never heard of anyone getting food poisoning yet. (If anyone knows differently please let us know). A good place to feed your chica. One grade up from a roadside stall or stand but won't break the bank. Also a pleasant environment in a peaceful courtyard.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3531c2f03.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3532289f3.jpg)They moved to a new location. Across from Edy's sports bar.

Beads
05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I think you will have better luck finding more authentic Dominican food if you venture to the areas where mainly Dominicans live. Charamicos is a close walk from Sosua and has quite a few little restaurants and places to eat and buy food. I consider myself to be very cautious with where I eat but I have found a few places where I would eat or buy food.

My favorite is easily found by walking from the beach into Charamicos and up the steep hill until you see a traffic light on the main road on a street on the left. At this corner on the left side of the street is a nice little restaurant that serves food.

I have seen some tourists eating there who have also found the place but it seems to be a popular dominican lunch spot. Prices are good and the food is cafeteria style. Food is also VERY good.

Theres also a nice little fried fish spot thats cheap right on the main road leaving Sosua headed towards the airport but its kind of hard to notice if you dont look closely. As your leaving Sosua go just past Charamicos entrances and about 1-2 blocks after its on the right. They have a small table outside and a few chairs.

I am sure there are plenty of other good spots but as was stated earlier you could easily walk past some of them thinking they are peoples homes when in fact they also sell food.

The chicken stand near LaPassions mentioned earlier is one of my all time favorites.

Theres a lot of chicken stands to be found but there are some that just have a better tasting chicken than others.

My all time favorite chicken stand is the guy next to Kelvins Car Wash in Santiago.

Summit
05-16-2009, 01:00 PM
They moved to a new location. Across from Edy's sports bar.Is this where Il Molino was located?

curiousdude
05-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Theres also a nice little fried fish spot thats cheap right on the main road leaving Sosua headed towards the airport but its kind of hard to notice if you dont look closely. As your leaving Sosua go just past Charamicos entrances and about 1-2 blocks after its on the right. They have a small table outside and a few chairs.

My Dominican friend/Spanish teacher from the El Colibri Hotel/Holiday Spanish School took me there last summer. When I went there it was just a shack with a few folding tables outside. I remember it was quite good, but very busy. We had to stand around and wait to get a table.

psriches
05-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Is this where Il Molino was located?next to the fruit/juice bar

psriches
05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I eat at that fish spot at least twice a trip!

jensenspecial
05-17-2009, 09:58 PM

I can cook, too

papi_sosua
07-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Easiest (and cheapest) is to head over to Charamicos and frequent your favorite comidor.

Si Seņor

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656849fa3532289f3.jpg)