PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifter tests positive

NewsWhore
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Dominican weightlifter Yudelquis Contreras is among six Beijing Olympics athletes who have failed a post-Games drug test. The International Olympic Committee has been vigilant in eradicating performance-enhancing drugs from the Games and has said that it would keep blood and urine samples from Olympic athletes for eight years after each Olympic games in order to complete retroactive sample testing. Dominican Olympic Committee president Luis Mejia said that this has come as a surprise and that Dominican officials would ask for Contreras's "B" sample to be tested. If her "B" sample also tests positive for CERA, or any other drug, it would provide almost indisputable proof of wrongdoing and could lead to a lifetime international suspension for the Dominican athlete.
In response, Contreras said: "I am clean, and I have done nothing to prove the contrary. I haven't used anything different than in 2007." (The year she won gold at the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro).
William Ozuna of the Dominican Weightlifting Federation said the organization would continue to defend Contreras. Ozuna said that Contreras has been tested five times before the Games, and even once during the games, and those results had come back negative.
But there has been some controversy surrounding Contreras's participation. The weightlifter trained in Bulgarian, under coach Constantin Darov, but the Bulgarian national team didn't compete in weightlifting events because of a doping scandal.
Though Contreras's results are provoking concern, some are questioning why a power lifting athlete would consume a drug that is known only increase the levels of oxygen right red blood cells in the body. No word on how these results will affect her previous international competitive results.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#13)