PDA

View Full Version : POP versus Sosua

mikelodge
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
How about some discussion on the pro's and con's of say Field of Dreams and Blackbeards and Voramar out of Sosua other than transportation. How do they measure up to Sosua with Sea Breeze and New Garden or Europa or others? What about Rock'ys is it worth staying? Trying to decide on Sosua or POP and only have 2 weeks left.

MrHappy
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
How about some discussion on the pro's and con's of say Field of Dreams and Blackbeards and Voramar out of Sosua other than transportation. How do they measure up to Sosua with Sea Breeze and New Garden or Europa or others? What about Rock'ys is it worth staying? Trying to decide on Sosua or POP and only have 2 weeks left.

Gotta do some readin', my boy.

All of that stuff has been discussed many times..

balcoach
05-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Mikelodge

It all really depends on what your looking for? Are you trying to be at an all inclusive moger spot where you don't have to leave the property for the party favors? = Blackbeards.

Central location to it all in Sosua? = NG, SeaBreeze, & Rocky's + and there you have a pretty fair $ scale in the respective order... with Rocky's having the necessities for your stay, Seabreeze a lil step up in amenities and a pool, and NG is kind of like the DelRey of SanJose, CR on a sosua scale. Comparable accomodations to a best western in the midwest, but the free breakfast is nice and the comraderie on site is great.

Voramar...off the beaten path in sosua, very friendly to our hobby, more of a german property rather than gringo's. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

So what else would you like to know...?

You can always get a condo, or villa in or out of town, just depends on the experience YOU are looking for, YOUR style, and YOUR budget, not what the next guy tells you you have to do... DO YOU and her my friend!

Jimmydr
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Try all these places and decide for yourself. Thats the only way to do it.

mikelodge
05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Gotta do some readin', my boy.

All of that stuff has been discussed many times..
No use it also has been changed like names of businesses. ie Sea breeze now back open Why who knows. NG new rooms added why, FOD taken back over why didn't get paid. Who can or would be stupid enough to rely on old info for future stays. What about some up to date data

mikelodge
05-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Mikelodge

It all really depends on what your looking for? Are you trying to be at an all inclusive moger spot where you don't have to leave the property for the party favors? = Blackbeards.

Central location to it all in Sosua? = NG, SeaBreeze, & Rocky's + and there you have a pretty fair $ scale in the respective order... with Rocky's having the necessities for your stay, Seabreeze a lil step up in amenities and a pool, and NG is kind of like the DelRey of SanJose, CR on a sosua scale. Comparable accomodations to a best western in the midwest, but the free breakfast is nice and the comraderie on site is great.

Voramar...off the beaten path in sosua, very friendly to our hobby, more of a german property rather than gringo's. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

So what else would you like to know...?

You can always get a condo, or villa in or out of town, just depends on the experience YOU are looking for, YOUR style, and YOUR budget, not what the next guy tells you you have to do... DO YOU and her my friend!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions. Any info on Colibri and Europa and TRopix to add to your comparison of the other local 3 would be greatly appreciated.

balcoach
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Mr Lodge... Tell me this...

What are you looking for? Are you traveling solo? Group? On a budget?

Might be easier to point you in the right direction.

And your quite welcome, thats what we are here for.. to help one another out as those have help me in the past when I first started out a few years back.

LOVE..PEACE..CHICKEN GREASE

mikelodge
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Mr Lodge... Tell me this...

What are you looking for? Are you traveling solo? Group? On a budget?

Might be easier to point you in the right direction.

And your quite welcome, thats what we are here for.. to help one another out as those have help me in the past when I first started out a few years back.

LOVE..PEACE..CHICKEN GREASE
Solo with 2 main goals wherever I travel to get the most value for my money for what I want which is guest friendly place with pool and preferably a jacuzzi/hottub where they allow you to hang out with your girlfriend. AC, safe box, parking, Refrigerator are a must. Sea Breeze sounds good but no jacuzzi. I also want to make sure ice is available and you can easily preferably included. Prefer to be close to town to walk to nightlife. NG sounds good but more money than SB and I don't see for what other than the breakfast I probably won't want but I have heard it is nicer and if that is the case I would pay for the nicer place and I have heard Cayena may be a step up as well however even more money. I was considering Europa but everyone seems to be putting it down now with many bad reviews. Valeria also has been mentioned. Colibri I heard is nice but no chicas in pool I was told and farther walk right? In conclusion I intend to have as sex as possible and want a decent place close to things to do it in. I have no budget I am just cheap but if a motel 6 was $30 and a $300 Hyatt on sale at $100 I would be at the Hyatt ( with my niece of course)

weyland
05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
No use it also has been changed like names of businesses. ie Sea breeze now back open Why who knows. NG new rooms added why, FOD taken back over why didn't get paid. Who can or would be stupid enough to rely on old info for future stays. What about some up to date data
There is ample recent data about the most popular places where our guys stay for you to make up your mind whether you want to stay in one of them, namely New Garden, Seabreeze, Europa, Barba Negra, & Field of Dreams. Of course all the guys won't say the same things because they will be influenced by their own experiences and because they are looking for different sorts of vacations. There are no 100% guarantees. This is a Third World country we are talking about. Things don't operate like a Swiss watch. As you rightly say, things in the DR can change quickly, but you if can't get a gut feel as to whether you fancy one of these places then there is frankly something wrong with you.

If you don't fancy any of those places and want to try something different then I agree there are only patchy reports, but having to take a bit of a chance is the price you pay for not following the herd.

You are over-analysing everything. Piss or get off the pot. One of members is famous for making elaborate plans for weeks or months ahead then scrapping the trip at the last moment. Are you another one like that?

daddyooo
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I was considering Europa but everyone seems to be putting it down now with many bad reviews.

I stayed at Europa in March and would not hesitate to stay there again. It met all my needs and more.

balcoach
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Well Mike

Best bet for what your looking for is the NG, SeaBreeze, or the Europa. My amigo Daddyooo stayed at the Europa in the spring and had no problem with it. All three properties have a pool, are chica friendly and meet your needs. Europa being the furthest from "center" of town, but it no way out of the way, actually, if you like LaPassion, its closer to there.

As Wey land said, you have to remember you are in a 3rd world country and the amenities of the room are what they are, pretty basic. As long as the shitter, shower, safe and bed work and are clean, and I have never had a problem with any of the above, then you are good. And a nice propina in the beginning to the maid or the person who takes care of the room serves very well to keep all to your liking.

Seabreeze is 40/night, NG is what ever they are charging now for new and old rooms, mention your an ISOC member for a bit of a discount and if you email the people at Europa and make them an offer in the slow economic times, you might be surprised what they will accept.

Also...check out this link, an off site agent rents a studio apartment at the europa... http://sosuaproperty.com/Site/Europa325-696.html

You should find something. but those 3 are the main "friendly" properties with a pool and with the best locations your looking for.

There are other condos out there and villas, but that comes with a lil bit of distance and more discretion.

HOlla at your boy

MrHappy
05-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Solo with 2 main goals wherever I travel to get the most value for my money for what I want which is guest friendly place with pool and preferably a jacuzzi/hottub where they allow you to hang out with your girlfriend. AC, safe box, parking, Refrigerator are a must.

Based on that alone, you're probably going to want the New Garden, new section.

Next step up is a villa, and I don't know of many that have jacuzzi's.

mikelodge
05-23-2009, 01:34 PM
There is ample recent data about the most popular places where our guys stay for you to make up your mind whether you want to stay in one of them, namely New Garden, Seabreeze, Europa, Barba Negra, & Field of Dreams. Of course all the guys won't say the same things because they will be influenced by their own experiences and because they are looking for different sorts of vacations. There are no 100% guarantees. This is a Third World country we are talking about. Things don't operate like a Swiss watch. As you rightly say, things in the DR can change quickly, but you if can't get a gut feel as to whether you fancy one of these places then there is frankly something wrong with you.

If you don't fancy any of those places and want to try something different then I agree there are only patchy reports, but having to take a bit of a chance is the price you pay for not following the herd.
You are over-analysing everything. Piss or get off the pot. One of members is famous for making elaborate plans for weeks or months ahead then scrapping the trip at the last moment. Are you another one like that?
No I don't ever scrap a trip. Most of mine have some business related event involved that I add some days on the front or back. I have 9 trips booked for next winter and spring mostly to Florida any of which I could hop down for a couple days. I will be in POP on business in less than 2 weeks but won't have anytime to check things out with who I will be with. I so have a trip booked to POP (Sosua)for a week in early January prepaid and I don't cancel. I also have one in March to SDQ where I was planning on visiting BC but If I like Sosua I will drive there for several days. And as I mentioned any of the times I will be in Florida on business from Nov.-April I could come down for a few days. I fly constantly for business so it is a good way for me to use up my miles. You are right I analyze everything to death. I will probably make up my mind on lodging in the fall when I see if anything has changed. I like the look and price of Sea Breeze and NG and am now leary of Europa based on recent reviews. I would like more info on Casa Cayena. There on other peoples websites but I have not found there own do they have one? Please share some info on them anyone.
Also can anyone recommend a guest friendly hotel in San Juan PR?

mikelodge
05-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I stayed at Europa in March and would not hesitate to stay there again. It met all my needs and more.
Thanks this is what a friend of mine said too. He said he likes the apartments that open out the back to the pool. The bad reviews made me nervous and comments about them selling and dining closed. But what isn't for sale and I think we all know only a few happy people review and the crabby customer makes the most noise so who knows

mikelodge
05-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Well Mike

Best bet for what your looking for is the NG, SeaBreeze, or the Europa. My amigo Daddyooo stayed at the Europa in the spring and had no problem with it. All three properties have a pool, are chica friendly and meet your needs. Europa being the furthest from "center" of town, but it no way out of the way, actually, if you like LaPassion, its closer to there.

As Wey land said, you have to remember you are in a 3rd world country and the amenities of the room are what they are, pretty basic. As long as the shitter, shower, safe and bed work and are clean, and I have never had a problem with any of the above, then you are good. And a nice propina in the beginning to the maid or the person who takes care of the room serves very well to keep all to your liking.
Seabreeze is 40/night, NG is what ever they are charging now for new and old rooms, mention your an ISOC member for a bit of a discount and if you email the people at Europa and make them an offer in the slow economic times, you might be surprised what they will accept.

Also...check out this link, an off site agent rents a studio apartment at the europa... http://sosuaproperty.com/Site/Europa325-696.html

You should find something. but those 3 are the main "friendly" properties with a pool and with the best locations your looking for.

There are other condos out there and villas, but that comes with a lil bit of distance and more discretion.

HOlla at your boy
Thanks for the good answers to my actual question and the link. Any info on Casa Cayena?

Jimmydr
05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks this is what a friend of mine said too. He said he likes the apartments that open out the back to the pool. The bad reviews made me nervous and comments about them selling and dining closed. But what isn't for sale and I think we all know only a few happy people review and the crabby customer makes the most noise so who knows

I stayed in the apartments a few years ago and they were okay.

Jimmydr
05-23-2009, 01:53 PM

NG added rooms because they sold out many days and he had the land to build on.

Hoseman
05-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks this is what a friend of mine said too. He said he likes the apartments that open out the back to the pool. The bad reviews made me nervous and comments about them selling and dining closed. But what isn't for sale and I think we all know only a few happy people review and the crabby customer makes the most noise so who knowsI was in Sosua last week the one thing I noticed about Europa was that everytime I passed there or sat at the Bar across the Street there was always anywhere from 10 to 20 local guys out front and all in the Doorways.I made quite a few trips down there in the past year and have never seen it like that.People are giving you good sound advice but you seem to be looking for that one or two People to prove them wrong,It's your money your trip and your life.Do as you please.

weyland
05-23-2009, 06:48 PM
NG added rooms because they sold out many days and he had the land to build on.
Once you have the land, construction is very cheap in the DR. There are not all the building regulations to worry about and what there are you can get round with bribes. And most work is done by Haitians who don't get paid much. In fact it is so cheap some mongers build houses and give them away to their girlfriends!

weyland
05-23-2009, 06:56 PM
NG: new rooms added. Why? ... What about some up to date data?
Does this answer that question?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showpost.php?p=591632&postcount=1

tomgueguen
05-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Once you have the land, construction is very cheap in the DR. There are not all the building regulations to worry about and what there are you can get round with bribes. And most work is done by Haitians who don't get paid much. In fact it is so cheap some mongers build houses and give them away to their girlfriends!

It's good until the next earthquake!!!!

Hunter
05-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Weyland - Master of cryptic digs...:D:D