PDA

View Full Version : Car Rentals

trEPP33
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Not long ago I read a thread where someone mentioned L and I car rental in Sosua but I cannot find that thread. I remember reading that they will pick you up from the airport and drop you back off at the airport once the trip is over. I took down their number and saved it so I'll give them a call.

I'm staying in Cabarete and am looking to rent an SUV for a week for travel between Cabarete, Sosua and Puerta Plata. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

First of all, other than L and I are there any other car rental agencies in Sosua or Cabarete?

Any recommendations?

What's the approximate going rate to rent an SUV per day?

I appreciate any info on the subject.

balcoach
05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
www.savingscarrental.com (http://www.savingscarrental.com)

trEPP33
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks balcoach. I also remember reading about some bad experiences some received from some agencies. Just as good as hearing of possible agencies it would be good to hear of those who not to rent from.

mikelodge
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks balcoach. I also remember reading about some bad experiences some received from some agencies. Just as good as hearing of possible agencies it would be good to hear of those who not to rent from.
Dude this I am an expert on trust me. Rent American always unless you know them and this applies to any country. Google Bookingbuddy.com and click cars and hit POP for Puerto Plata. It is going to be cheaper and better to rent from the airport. You can use coupons from the US they will honor them for upgrades for example. If you are a preferred member even better. This site will show you which companies rent there. Budget is there and very cheap with USA guarantees that you won't be let standing there with your dick in your hand.

sicpup71
05-27-2009, 01:26 AM
www.savingscarrental.com (http://www.savingscarrental.com)

enff said!!!!

mirage6
05-27-2009, 02:13 AM
I BOOKED MY CAR RENTAL WITH NATIIONAL CAR RENTAL WHICH IS AMERICAN AND I TOOK OUT ALL THE EXTRA INSURANCE JUST TO BE SAFE. I AM GETTING MY RENTAL FROM THE AIRPORT.

curiousdude
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree you should rent from one of the big companies (National, Budget, etc.) out of the airport, and make your reservation before you go. You get a better deal, and better leverage in case something goes wrong, as you made your deal with a gringo company in gringolandia before you left. I've always done this, in two trips to the North Coast and one trip to Santo Domingo. I also booked the rental car through American when I booked my flight. Never a problem yet. Be sure you have good insurance.

carolinajack
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Do any of the rental offices operate 24/7 out of POP. I ask because inorder to use my JetBLUE points my departing flight (back to NYC) does not leave until 1:30 AM...something free always has a fuckin' hook to it.

I'd rather keep my room an "extra" day...get to the airport that night, and drop the car off. Any info on what service has 24/7 or LATE office hours would be appreciated.

eldorob
07-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Not long ago I read a thread where someone mentioned L and I car rental in Sosua but I cannot find that thread.
What's the approximate going rate to rent an SUV per day?

I appreciate any info on the subject.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=188466&highlight=luis

Phone #'s for Luis are cel 809-222-3255 & ofc 809-571-2452 I THINK I pay about $30 - $35us a day but I would have to check my last slip to verify that.

I always rent a car from Luis at L und I Renta Car. He's a nice guy & has always treated me good. It's right next to the laundry you used.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Guido tho. :rolleyes:

I agree with Eldo here, rented a car many times from the locals in Sosua, especially the one he is talking about, and never a problem.

Although I agree if you want to be more careful you are best served paying a bit more at the airport.

trEPP33
07-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know if it will help you CJ but to finish off what I started, I ended up renting from a rental service located on the main strip in Cabarete. The company is called easy rider - Cabarete Rent-A-Motor. Their service was great and the prices were very good. $315 for a suv - montero over 8 days. The best thing about it is that they picked us up at the airport and dropped us back off once the trip was over. The cost of transportation into Cabarete from the airport is $40. This pickup service saved us $80. Service was so good as was the price that I have already reserved vehicles for my next three trips this year. That's right I'm a lucky man. :)

Sorry I haven't had time to post the report as I've been very busy but I will as soon as I get a chance.

by the way the owners name is Joe and their number is 809-571-9798 and their web address is www.easyrider-cabarete.com.

eldorob
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I THINK I pay about $30 - $35us a day but I would have to check my last slip to verify that.

I paid $37 a day for this in May.

I'm talkin' about the CAR Dammit, THE CAR!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/6816480a6ac333b0b.jpg

ElPlomero
07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I BOOKED MY CAR RENTAL WITH NATIIONAL CAR RENTAL WHICH IS AMERICAN AND I TOOK OUT ALL THE EXTRA INSURANCE JUST TO BE SAFE. I AM GETTING MY RENTAL FROM THE AIRPORT.

You know....

A lot of credit card companies have rental card insurance options that you can get.

Amex, for one has a great one. It costs practically nothing and covers almost everything.

Just be sure that there is no aftermarket equipt. on the car or the policy is void.

You might want to do a search "car rental" herein because some have had some really interesting experiences renting cars in the DR.

I think you said you're married, right? How would you explain an "impedemiento de Salida" to your wife ?

Taxis aren't THAT expensive.

moshy2k
07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
On my last trip I rented from Avis which gave me a great rate. I used my insurance through Amex to cover the car and took the third party liability from Avis.

Unfortunately, when I got home I noticed I had two charges for renting a car on my amex statement.

Seems I was the victim of fraud as I received a charge from Budget for a 1 week rental $357 from Santo Domingo. I have a dispute going on with Amex over this charge as there is no way I rented two cars (POP and SDQ).

And since the Budget and Avis counter are right next to each other in POP I think someone pulled my info..

Anyway, make sure you all check your statements after renting a car.

mirage6
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
You know....

A lot of credit card companies have rental card insurance options that you can get.

Amex, for one has a great one. It costs practically nothing and covers almost everything.

Just be sure that there is no aftermarket equipt. on the car or the policy is void.

You might want to do a search "car rental" herein because some have had some really interesting experiences renting cars in the DR.

I think you said you're married, right? How would you explain an "impedemiento de Salida" to your wife ?

Taxis aren't THAT expensive.

MY WIFE KNEW I WAS GOING TO DR AND SHE WOULD NEVER KNOW I AM IN CHARGE OF ALL THE BILLS AND STUFF

carolinajack
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
MY WIFE KNEW I WAS GOING TO DR AND SHE WOULD NEVER KNOW I AM IN CHARGE OF ALL THE BILLS AND STUFF

Amen to that one brother...as they say, "I pay the cost to be the boss."

MrHappy
07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Every time I have rented a car here, it's has been with a U.S. Company.

Any company is OK as long as nothing happens, it's when you have a problem that things can and do get sticky.

Renting through a local car rental company is false economy.

yourmomma999
07-10-2009, 02:04 AM
in sosua there is place called daniels car rental right next to the orange store if you rent for a week, tell him you have another friend in puerto plata you usually rent from for 30 dollars a day, if for a week or so he wil give you a honda crv for about the same. better than 55 a days the airport crooks want. he will also deliver the car to airport and drive you there at the end so no need to pay taxi.

Every time I have rented a car here, it's has been with a U.S. Company.

Any company is OK as long as nothing happens, it's when you have a problem that things can and do get sticky.

Renting through a local car rental company is false economy.

ElPlomero
07-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Would she know something was up if you were held in POP for a week or more waiting to settle any accident you might have?

Or if she had to wire an attorney in POP $10K for you?