PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Puerto Plata???

dvgz_clock
06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I am heading to Puerto Plata(Sosua) with my co-pilot in early September for some fun. Wanted to do two of my favorites things, chicas and fishing. Finding the chicas I don't think will be a problem but I haven't found to much information on fishing in Sosua and the surronding areas. I heard that Mels tours is basically a boat ride rather then a fishing trip. Njoy tours looks like another options but they don't offer fishing only tours. I also heard of an American named Victor who does it part time. Anybody heard of him? I was also thinking about getting a local to take me fishing. Not sure if that is safe or not. I was planning on bringing some fishing gear. I don't mind a little adventure but want to be smart. Any info is greatly appreciated.

K-

eldorob
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
. I heard that Mels tours is basically a boat ride rather then a fishing trip. -

Mel's is very enviromentally friendly - no fish are harmed in the process...

Although I did have a Blue Marlin smack my bait once...it then jumped out of the water and laughed at me (if that's story's getting old, I'll retire it)

.. I also heard of an American named Victor who does it part time. Anybody heard of him?
K-

I've heard it's a good time, don't know about fish tho. The north coast isn't that great for fishing. Someone here should have his number.

bentwire
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Njoy tours is a very good trip, i have would spend 100 dollars anytime for the fun i had, and i have fished all over the world., they will pick you up at your hotel and take you to Los Gringos, a trip worth the cost in its self, then you go fishing for four hours,, all your gonna want anyway in one day, then some light snorkling in a protected blue cove,, Locals with drinks for sale and a great expieriance this is well worth the money paid

You can always walk down to the Sosua by the Sea hotel, take the path though the gate at the side and go straight to the beach in front not the tourist AI beach, there is a old boat on the beach with a info sign, the guy leaves from there twice a day, in the morning is when you want to go to catch red fish

I caught a 38' silver sword fish with Njoy tours another guy on the boat caught a Dorrado

Here is another option,, make yourself a Rod container out of 3 inch X 6 feet PVC take your won rods with you and fish in front of the Waterfront hotel,, lots of good fish there off the shore,, also you can hire locals near cabarete very cheap

August is prime Marlin season in Dominican republic, nothing like catching a 85 pound fish in a 20 foot boat

I did the Mel tours thing and it is a Joke, dont waste your money,, also the boat ramp by sosua playa will find you many fishermen who will take your money
Good luck to you, i have Kaja from Njoy tours talking to me daily, if more ISOC guys would use them we would get a discount

NJ_Hobby
06-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Call Victor at 809-880-5105 and see what he will work out for you. We organized a boat cruise with him one time with some chicas - but he has all the equipment and knows the fishing spots as well.

-NJH

dvgz_clock
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys.. I'll post my what I find with the fishing and the chicas.

dvgz_clock
06-02-2009, 01:27 PM
A stupid question.... Do I need a fishing license in the DR???

sicpup71
06-02-2009, 03:15 PM

no...................

eldorob
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM

"license? We don't need no stinken license..."