PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Owners want Monopoly

Hoseman
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
The taxi owners who are members of the transport union want the exclusive right to transport tourists. They want a ban on other transport of tourists to and from the airport, which is currently organised by the hotels.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/news_pictures/2009/06/3-6_taxi.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/news_pictures/2009/06/3-6_taxi.jpg) Taxi publico

According to the taxi owners, they should also have exclusive rights to transport tourists to local attractions such as Ocean World and on other excursions such as boat trips. The association of restaurant and hotel owners in Sosúa, Cabarete and Puerto Plata (ASONHORES) is strongly against such a monopoly. During the 1980-1990s the taxi drivers also demanded a monopoly position for transporting tourists, and even resorted to violence to achieve their objective. A compromise was reached then, under pressure from the tourism industry. However, according to ASONHORES, these latest developments are also potentially very harmful to the tourist trade. The association has asked the Minister of Tourism to intervene and mediate in this conflict.

knotty
06-03-2009, 01:09 PM
the taxicab mafia is at it again. I wonder if this happens in other destinations with the taxi drivers.

Maretti
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
the taxicab mafia is at it again. I wonder if this happens in other destinations with the taxi drivers.
I saw the taxicab mafia in action at the Sea Breeze the last time I stayed there. They were threatening the owner telling him "you're gonna have problem". I'd say that Jihad is doing more for the tourism in DR than those overpriced mofos.

Jimmydr
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
That sounds fair, $100 taxi rides to and from the airport!

Tony Toca
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
That sounds fair, $100 taxi rides to and from the airport!

Fair? And I know that is when you will WALK to the hotel. (or many up to the main road for a motoconcho)

MrHappy
06-05-2009, 08:01 AM
They are a bunch of illiterate dicks.

Beads
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Fuck the taxicab mafia. They have enough of a monopoly already with the airports and their overcharging. What really should be done is allow tourists to get off the plane and get onto guaguas and carro publicos right at the airports.Also make dedicated bus routes. The buses pass right by send them through on their routes to pick up passengers also.

If the taxis want more money provide service at a reasonable rate and dont always try to rip us all off.

knotty
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
i think the big advantage with Bangkok (eventhough they are crooked, too) and Rio is you have the option of telling them to put on the meter, and if they don't, you move on to the next driver. it's none of this livery cab bullshit.

jstarebel
06-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Fuck the taxicab mafia. They have enough of a monopoly already with the airports and their overcharging. What really should be done is allow tourists to get off the plane and get onto guaguas and carro publicos right at the airports.Also make dedicated bus routes. The buses pass right by send them through on their routes to pick up passengers also.

If the taxis want more money provide service at a reasonable rate and dont always try to rip us all off.
I agree.. Carro publico would be great from the airport. I always feel like the taxis are a rip off, and this is why I have my own guy come and get me. If you talk some spanish and are respectful, you can find a guy to drive you around wherever you want to go, hang out and wait for you, and even hook you up with chicas if you want for a lot less money than the taxis. When I go out, sometimes Jefry comes with me. Other times, I simply call him when I'm ready to go, and he comes and gets me. This service cost me 1,000-2,000 peso per day. I usually feed him and if he is hanging out with me, I buy his beers. If he has driven me a lot, I of course give up the propina.. I know this would not work for everyone, but I'm good with it. I find it cheap considering the cost of the airport Taxis..

riclagriclag
06-06-2009, 01:38 AM
I agree.. Carro publico would be great from the airport. I always feel like the taxis are a rip off, and this is why I have my own guy come and get me. If you talk some spanish and are respectful, you can find a guy to drive you around wherever you want to go, hang out and wait for you, and even hook you up with chicas if you want for a lot less money than the taxis. When I go out, sometimes Jefry comes with me. Other times, I simply call him when I'm ready to go, and he comes and gets me. This service cost me 1,000-2,000 peso per day. I usually feed him and if he is hanging out with me, I buy his beers. If he has driven me a lot, I of course give up the propina.. I know this would not work for everyone, but I'm good with it. I find it cheap considering the cost of the airport Taxis..
Thats bullshit!!!! The only reason he is helping is for the peso's not because
your respectful. You could talk trash to him and he still would be loyal to you for the peso. Money talks shit walks!!! Personnel driver huh! He's a whore too. Except he tour guides you. Your in the wrong forum buddy, Do you have a butler and a maid ? Does your wife have a nanny?
Excuse my spelling
Rick

riclagriclag
06-06-2009, 01:46 AM
That shit already happened in Aruba .The rental company's aren't allowed on the airport property they had to move out of their offices. You need to take a cab to your rental car company .
Excuse my spelling!!

Rick

jstarebel
06-06-2009, 06:16 AM
your respectful. You could talk trash to him and he still would be loyal to you for the peso. Money talks shit walks!!! Personnel driver huh! He's a whore too. Except he tour guides you. Your in the wrong forum buddy, Do you have a butler and a maid ? Does your wife have a nanny?
Excuse my spelling
Rick
Everybody understands they are all in it for the pesos.. No argument there. Being respectfull to the locals only makes easier and less costly. He would rather haul my ass around knowing he is going to make money for the time that I am there rather than hustle his ass of.. Like I said, it works for me, and I am sure with your attitude it wouldn't for you.

As far as being in the wrong forum, I doubt I am in the wrong forum. Are You??

Butler and a maid? No need... Thats what my novia's are for..

As for the last question.. I am single

Kevy
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
i think the big advantage with Bangkok (eventhough they are crooked, too) and Rio is you have the option of telling them to put on the meter, and if they don't, you move on to the next driver. it's none of this livery cab bullshit.

Same with Colombia too, although Cartagena does not have metered taxis, the rates are not that bad. Medellin and cali are good. the airport(rio negro) in Medellin is a little costly, but it is a good distance and takes close to an hour, none of this $25 for an 8 Km ride to Sosua.

eldorob
06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Excuse my spelling
Rick

rick,..why the hostility? Do you two guys know each other? Did jstarebel boink your Passions's novia? :rolleyes:

Sure, it's the peso's...none of us would work if it weren't for the pesos's. But you will find a few taxi guys who understand the importance of customer service. I usually rent a car but I know a taxi guy who will do the same thing as jstarebel's guy, he'll pick you up, wait for you , come out a 3 am for a pick up, give better pricing, whatever you need. I've given his name and number to a few guys and they were thrilled with the service.

jstarebel
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
rick,..why the hostility? Do you two guys know each other? Did jstarebel boink your Passions's novia? :rolleyes:

Sure, it's the peso's...none of us would work if it weren't for the pesos's. But you will find a few taxi guys who understand the importance of customer service. I usually rent a car but I know a taxi guy who will do the same thing as jstarebel's guy, he'll pick you up, wait for you , come out a 3 am for a pick up, give better pricing, whatever you need. I've given his name and number to a few guys and they were thrilled with the service.
I don't believe I know him, but I am wondering now if he was the gringo my novia called a "Rata" last month at FOD as I recently posted our picture in a thread. If so, he got what he deserved because he was disrespectful to her. Either way, Lifes way to short to go through it angry, and I've got no problem with other peoples opinions..

riclagriclag
06-12-2009, 02:09 AM
It flames me to hear about your spending habits and how much you probably pay for a chica, because that driver is also getting a piece of her take. Its guys like you that raise the price up for us little guys who just make enough money all year to spend little time there. The chicas expect more bang for our buck because of some people who pay what ever there asking price. I haven’t been to Fod’s since March 2007. (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/It%20flames%20me%20to%20hear%20about%20your%20spending%20habits%20and%20how%20much%20you%20probably%20pay%20for%20a%20chica,%20because%20that%20driver%20is%20also%20getting%20a%20piece%20of%20her%20take.%20Its%20guys%20like%20you%20that%20raise%20the%20price%20up%20for%20us%20little%20guys%20who%20just%20make%20enough%20money%20all%20year%20to%20spend%20little%20time%20there.%20The%20chicas%20expect%20more%20bang%20for%20our%20buck%20because%20of%20some%20%20people%20who%20pay%20what%20ever%20there%20asking%20price.%20I%20haven%E2%80%99t%20been%20to%20Fod%E2%80%99s%20since%20March%202007)

Excuse my spelling
Rick

MrHappy
06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Do you have a butler and a maid ?

Rick

I do, what's wrong with that?

yayow
06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
It flames me to hear about your spending habits and how much you probably pay for a chica, because that driver is also getting a piece of her take. Its guys like you that raise the price up for us little guys who just make enough money all year to spend little time there. The chicas expect more bang for our buck because of some people who pay what ever there asking price. I haven’t been to Fod’s since March 2007. (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/It%20flames%20me%20to%20hear%20about%20your%20spending%20habits%20and%20how%20much%20you%20probably%20pay%20for%20a%20chica,%20because%20that%20driver%20is%20also%20getting%20a%20piece%20of%20her%20take.%20Its%20guys%20like%20you%20that%20raise%20the%20price%20up%20for%20us%20little%20guys%20who%20just%20make%20enough%20money%20all%20year%20to%20spend%20little%20time%20there.%20The%20chicas%20expect%20more%20bang%20for%20our%20buck%20because%20of%20some%20%20people%20who%20pay%20what%20ever%20there%20asking%20price.%20I%20haven%E2%80%99t%20been%20to%20Fod%E2%80%99s%20since%20March%202007)

Excuse my spelling
Rick

I hear you Rick and I understand your frustration at times. I think it is incumbent on all of us to try and negotiate our individual best price. That best price can vary from individual to individual, for example if she is someone you had in the past and it was a good experience the next time she may agree to do it for less, or by learning the language, you can find that your prices tend to come down. Other than that I find patience to be helpful, if you like staying up late, many times the chica that was asking for x amount earlier in the evening, now may agree for y amount.

I have found very few chicas that I will go over a set price scale that I have set in my mind, and believe me, my scale is less than most, because I believe I deserve it. Good luck in your future mongering trips. And by the way most of the guys on this site are pretty good with the pricing (because knowledge is power, and there is a lot of knowledge shared here), it's the other thousands that don't know about this site and others like it, that raise the price scale.

weyland
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Do you have a butler and a maid?
JimmyDR had a butler once but had to let him go.

weyland
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
And by the way most of the guys on this site are pretty good with the pricing (because knowledge is power, and there is a lot of knowledge shared here), it's the other thousands that don't know about this site and others like it, that raise the price scale.
If every monger on every whoreboard (not just ISOC) kept rigorously to the "minimum fair price" (whatever that is supposed to be - a delusion in itself), it would make SFA difference to puta prices because 95% of their income is from punters who are not regular readers of whoreboards (affluent locals, less affluent locals, ex-pats and tourists).

I keep below a rigid ceiling (lower than most guys here) but that is because of my own limited budget not because of some imaginary monger "code". If I had a spare $1000 a week to spend on chicas (and many have) I wouldn't think twice about spending it.

jstarebel
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Excuse my spelling
Rick
I understand your frustrations Rick, and had you have read some of my other posts, I do not think we would be having this conversation. First of all, I go to the DR monthly on business. I live 200 miles away on Providenciales. I seldom go with the DR putas at all except to visit La Passions on occasion to fulfill my "young girl fantasies". The señora I was with at FOD, I picked up while at Scotiabank. She works there. In fact, I did not sample any of the FOD putas while I was there. I hunt a different way. I am always looking for new novias, and YES I do pay.. By way of shopping for nuevo ropas, zapatos, vestida, dinner, dancing, a total GFE. When I leave her do I give her money? Other than taxi fare, No.. If she askes for money, I explain that I was unaware that she was a puta. Sometimes this pisses them off, but either way, I'm off the hook.. Jefry was the guy that showed me around some of the local car wash discos, and cantinas.. I am sure he could set me up with a puta if I wanted, but I know the score, and I am very capable of finding my own, and being that I am there so often, I find it more to my liking to go after the non-pros and to be honest, they are a little closer to my own age.. He is simply my taxi guy.. I hope this clears things up.

bige810
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I have to agree with Beads. Since when should it cost more for a 15 min taxi ride in Puerto Plata than in NYC? :mad:

yourmomma999
06-21-2009, 04:28 AM
when you are in Sosua next time walk to the playero supermarket the big one, then walk 50 ft more and go the to PARADA, the taxi stop for locals, it is half price of the tourist taxis who rip you off when they only pay 60 cents a gallon for propane which they all use for fuel. lookin the back next time. I tell you the truth. Anyways, then get about 3 -4 of their numbers and call them 2 days ahead of your flight. They are allowed in if you call them. They just can not come in and drive through unless they are waiting for someone. Fuck that 25- 30 bs,. I pay $14 or 350 pesos plus a $5 tip.

that is the same price from airport to sosua, from airport to puerto plata, from airport to cofresi or maimon, etc. from sosua to puerto plata.
and the same form playa dorada enter or exit where the taxi mafia charge $33 just to enter or exit playa dorada, just because dummies pay it. also try to charge $50 at night for a ride from Sosua to Puerto plata. and $40 for Costambar just to enter. They have no extra fees to pay is is just robbery.

same thing if you are in Puerto Plata, go to Caribe Tours, where the buses from out of town arrive and where the money exchange is as that is the local taxi stand. and the same rates apply. tell them you have an apartment in puerto plata and took a motoconcho there (FYI the rate there is 37 pesos to a dollar) best rate in the area. Sosua would be like 34.5 or 35, bb's 33, etc.. Cost for taxi ride No more than 200- 350 pesos $9.40 max (a lot better than $25 each way or $50 round trip how bout $18.80 or $25 including $7 tip? a little less than half price depending on which tourist taxi who is trying to milk you. one way from there to anyplace you would be going, Santiago of course will be more but still not the $100 the tourist taxis will charge you. You could probably negotiate $50 or a litle less for that one way to Santiago. And allof the local taxis have signs with magnets on top of the car also so you will be safe, They are real taxis just that they are not designated taxis for the stupid tourists.

That shit already happened in Aruba .The rental company's aren't allowed on the airport property they had to move out of their offices. You need to take a cab to your rental car company .
Excuse my spelling!!

Rick

MrHappy
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
In my business, I pull trailers from Boca Chica, Caucedo, Santo Domingo, and Haina.

I don't really have a problem in the last three pulling the trailers, but Boca Chica is a completely different story.

If I have 20 trailers come in on a vessel, the union guys will let me pull out 3, if I'm lucky. Then, their drivers take a trailer to it's destination, and you can't get them to go back and pick it up when it's empty. (A trip should be take the full and drop it off, go pick up the empty later and return it)

If the trailer isn't picked up right away, the shipping lines charge ridiculous rent on the trailer box, and another rent for the chassis, which is even higher.

I end up having to send one of my trucks to return the trailer, while the union guys get paid for the entire trip. If you don't pay, you don't get your trailers out. Period.

Try to take a trailer out without their permission..... they destroy your truck. Simple.

So what's happening now?

All the businesses are changing their destination port from B.C to one of the others, and of course, now there's only one small ship coming into B.C. every week, and the union is crying because there's no business. Dick heads.

Every week there's articles in the local papers, reporting oh how businesses can't compete when they have to pay exorbitant rates to trucking companies that operate with equipment that's falling apart, and generate their own electricity at hundreds of pesos per hour.

The union guys do anything they want. Set trucks and buses on fire, go on wildcat strikes, block highways.... the sky is the limit.

weyland
06-21-2009, 06:07 PM
The union guys do anything they want. Set trucks and buses on fire, go on wildcat strikes, block highways.... the sky is the limit.
In the UK we don't call that a union. A union is an association of employees. What you are talking about is an employers' cartel. Same applies to the taxi drivers.