PDA

View Full Version : New bar and restaurant at the New Garden

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Beginning June 8, they are planning to redo the bar and restaurant at the New Garden.

Wilfried would like suggestions posted here for new menu items for breakfast, lunch and dinner that would appeal to the Americans and Canadians on this board. I'm sure suggestions from members from other countries would be welcome also.

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Beginning June 8, they are planning to redo the bar and restaurant at the New Garden.

Wilfried and Lorenzo would like suggestions posted here for new menu items for breakfast, lunch and dinner that would appeal to the Americans and Canadians on this board. I'm sure suggestions from members from other countries would be welcome also.

Since they are from Europe, they would know what Europeans like.:lol::lol:

3somefan
06-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Are they just redoing the menu or are they remodeling the whole bar/restaurant area?

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Since they are from Europe, they would know what Europeans like.:lol::lol:

I just added the last sentence to my post so that Weyland wouldn't be offended. ;)

Hoseman
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I say they should consult Peter about the Menu.

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Are they just redoing the menu or are they remodeling the whole bar/restaurant area?

Total remodel.

mikelodge
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Wilfried and Lorenzo would like suggestions posted here for new menu items for breakfast, lunch and dinner that would appeal to the Americans and Canadians on this board. I'm sure suggestions from members from other countries would be welcome also.

Breakfast is simple:
Meats- bacon, sausage links, ham or canadian bacon, a cheap breakfast steak
Eggs- omlettes, eggs all styles, including ranchero style, use cheddar cheese not goat cheese
Potatos- Not some soggy papas, crispy hash browns,
fruit- unpeeled oranges ect. you know the fruit

Lunch and Dinner
Grilled Chicken and pork cheap for you and us.
A half way decent steak
Most important anything from your SEA's including fish like sea bass whatever and not only fried make sure you can get it grilled with garlic. Any shrimp ect.
Again don't forget potatoes, fries, baked, mashed ect. and of course pizza is great if you can do it. Typical appetizers wings, mix it up daily specials.
My personal favorites Cabrito grilled and Huatchanango Vera Cruzana (excuse spelling) it is red snapper cooked with peppers, onions, tomatos ect. YUMM
Gotta have some Mexican stuff tacos, fahitas, nachos

Hoseman
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Breakfast is simple:
Eggs- omlettes, eggs all styles, including ranchero style, use cheddar cheese not goat cheese

Lunch and Dinner
A half way decent steak
Most important anything from your SEA's including fish like sea bass whatever and not only fried make sure you can get it grilled with garlic. Any shrimp ect.
Again don't forget potatoes, fries, baked, mashed ect. and of course pizza is great if you can do it. Typical appetizers wings, mix it up daily specials.
My personal favorites Cabrito grilled and Huatchanango Vera Cruzana (excuse spelling) it is red snapper cooked with peppers, onions, tomatos ect. YUMM
Looks good to me just throw in a couple of Dominican Dishes.

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 07:06 PM
A hamburger would be another obvious choice, but it needs to be a good one. Most hamburgers made in Sosua aren't worth eating.

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:07 PM
A hamburger would be another obvious choice, but it needs to be a good one. Most hamburgers made in Sosua aren't worth eating.

Hamburgers in DR suck bigtime. I stuck with fish and chicken and was always happy.:iconTU:

JD426
06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I just added the last sentence to my post so that Weyland wouldn't be offended. ;)

so there will be hell to pay if the new menu doesnt have some
Bangers and mash, or jellied eels .
lol

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Also they need at least a few desserts. Ice cream, pie, donuts, etc.

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Leave that to Bailys, okay buddy!

mikelodge
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM
This will just bulk up the putas. The only hole they need isn't in a doughnut

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
This will just bulk up the putas. The only hole they need isn't in a doughnut

See the thing is, some of us are going with the brand new putas while others are sticking with the very used and the very, very used putas.:eek::eek:

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Leave that to Bailys, okay buddy!

Yeah, but they need a few desserts for those who like them with their meals.

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but they need a few desserts for those who like them with their meals.

Nice rooms, great prices, whores on site, good meals and desert. They want it all, motherfuckers and they are sold out alot!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Choirboy
06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
See the thing is, some of us are going with the brand new putas while others are sticking with the very used and the very, very used putas.:eek::eek:

Quit picking on Jimbo dammit !!!! :D

3somefan
06-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Not to rain on this parade but shouldn't they really concentrate on better customer service? I don't think guys will care so much where they are eating a new menu as long as they are treated very well. Did they ever hire Wilfred an assistant to help with the reservations? It seems to me that they have some issues with the reservation system there. Although it has been getting better, I know a few members here have reported problems (Kenn came and got the wrong room with no apology or anything). On our June 2008 trip Wilfred did not come to the airport to pick four of us up when it had been set up long before arrival. When he was asked why, he had a lame excuse that someone named "Mike" emailed to cancel that pick-up. I was the only one in the party who has that name and I didn't email them!!

They did a great job hosting the bikini contest there later that week, but after the trip they stole my pictures of the contest and posted them on their website without asking.

Not trying to be a dick, but let's be realistic..what is real nice place building-wise without good customer service?

Just adding balance...

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Not to rain on this parade but shouldn't they really concentrate on better customer service? I don't think guys will care so much where they are eating a new menu as long as they are treated very well. Did they ever hire Wilfred an assistant to help with the reservations? It seems to me that they have some issues with the reservation system there. Although it has been getting better, I know a few members here have reported problems (Kenn came and got the wrong room with no apology or anything). On our June 2008 trip Wilfred did not come to the airport to pick four of us up when it had been set up long before arrival. When he was asked why, he had a lame excuse that someone named "Mike" emailed to cancel that pick-up. I was the only one in the party who has that name and I didn't email them!!

They did a great job hosting the bikini contest there later that week, but after the trip they stole my pictures of the contest and posted them on their website without asking.

Not trying to be a dick, but let's be realistic..what is real nice place building-wise without good customer service?

Just adding balance...

Some of us are happy once we are handed the keys and the only thing thats hard to find, is a good meal.:eek::lol:

3somefan
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Some of us are happy once we are handed the keys and the only thing thats hard to find, is a good meal.:eek::lol:

I hear ya, but some aren't..that is all I was trying to do is balance things a bit. :)

Jimmydr
06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I hear ya, but some aren't..that is all I was trying to do is balance things a bit. :)

As I run with the select few, those that are happy just to have whores around, we say, too bad!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

mho
06-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Looks good to me just throw in a couple of Dominican Dishes.

Yes, some Dominican food would be great.

I had the seafood pasta dish (Lobster, shrimp, mussels) on my last trip and it was great. So good that I had it twice. Everything I have had at the NG was pretty good.

I know that Willy (& Wendy?) can cook alot of things quite well but the current menu at the NG is pretty spartan and does not give any indication of what they are capable of producing. Maybe mix up the menu with some daily specials. Hell, Casa Valeria had their menu and chalkboard sign out everyday (even if no one was is in there).

I also liked the bunch of bananas hanging the dining room, nice to take one as a snack.

mirage6
06-06-2009, 04:43 AM
As far as consulting for food they need to consult ERIK he is the man when it comes to cooking from what I have seen at his BBQ pics

Jay_t
06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Sensible food at sensible prices.
I'm not looking for a culinary delight at puta central - just somewhere to refuel that wont give me the shits and ruin the holiday.

Grilled chicken and burgers have been mentioned before but are so simple and most people will try them. Pizza , half decent steak with the option perhaps of pre-ordering larger higher quality steaks for evening meals.

Show people whats on offer with a chalkboard , last time it was word of mouth as to what was available that evening.

mirage6
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I HAVE TO AGREE with jimmydr those hamburgers suck in dr theytaste sweat or something

Pacoloco
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I've never found a decent sandwich de pollo either, it's always some nasty chicken-salad type stuff.

Hoseman
06-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Ham either when ever I have ordered Ham with breakfast it was always Lunch Meat Ham.

Jimmydr
06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I've never found a decent sandwich de pollo either, it's always some nasty chicken-salad type stuff.

I usually go to the supermarket, buy various meats and make my own sandwiches. Cheap and they come out the way I like them.:iconTU:

Pacoloco
06-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Maybe NG could put a couple decent sandwiches on the menu! :idea:

eldorob
06-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Great List Mike....

and ICED COFFEE....I think a source for a good Iced Coffee would turn into a big hit down there. And promote it a little, every time somebody ordered a coffee ask them if they would like a small Iced Coffee sample. I think you'd be surprised at the response.

Breakfast is simple:

Lunch and Dinner
A half way decent steak

mikelodge
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Ham either when ever I have ordered Ham with breakfast it was always Lunch Meat Ham.

I have to agree that most ham in Latin countries sucks which is surprising when some of the best ham in the world comes from Spain such as black footed pigs Serrano ect. Apparently when the Spanish left so did the ham. I didn't mention hamburgers in my list because like Jimmy said they typically suck in Latin countries with some exceptions. This is one thing I hate about Central America is the food unless I go to a Mexican place where it has some flavor. Costa Rica has some great Empandas but the Typico gallo pinto crap and the plantains is not for this meat eater. I was in Managua at the Crown Plaza where the lunch buffet is about $28 American and the entrees where a mystery fish not very good, steak which was a nice filet mignon with the life cooked out of it to Medium Well soon to be Well done as it sat in the Steam table with some starchy sauce on it. It is elegant and the presentation first rate but I got better food from the bar/restaurant behind the hotel on the corner owned by my buddy Vincente's wife. Simple quesadillas, sandwiches, steaks, chicken, pork ribs ect.

Jimmydr
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Its strange, in Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica and Peru, the food was excellant and priced right. IN DR, its hard to find many great meals.

carolinajack
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Great List Mike....

and ICED COFFEE....I think a source for a good Iced Coffee would turn into a big hit down there. And promote it a little, every time somebody ordered a coffee ask them if they would like a small Iced Coffee sample. I think you'd be surprised at the response.

AMEN to the ICED COFFEE idea...this seems a natural down there!

Have to agree with Jimmy too...my best Dominican meals have been here in NYC...great spots in da Bronx and da Heights....

..hmmm maybe I'll do a best Dominican eats thread in NYC and the rest of the tri-state...pics of the restaurant - waitresses (they all seem to wear those skin tight black pants)...and of course food...

...For the NG, maybe made to order seafood wraps (lobster and shrimp) and or chicken - grilled...they're light yet filling and add a sandwich aspect as PACOLOCO mentioned.

SrSuerte
07-04-2009, 08:28 AM
- I like alot of the dominican dishes I had at other resturaunts.

- They will get all of my money if they start to fry whole red snapper with good seasoning.

- I can't remeber if they had pancakes, waffles, or french toast on the menu.

- fresh cut up mangos, pineapple, melon, strawberries.

-Fruit Smothies

-Homefries!

TropicBob
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
gotta add the blood sausage too....

psriches
07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
- I like alot of the dominican dishes I had at other resturaunts.

- They will get all of my money if they start to fry whole red snapper with good seasoning.

- I can't remeber if they had pancakes, waffles, or french toast on the menu.

- fresh cut up mangos, pineapple, melon, strawberries.

-Fruit Smothies

-Homefries!There are a few places that sell whole fish with good seasoning but not on the strip.

gmalet
07-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Now the real question is.....

Did they ever start on the new Bar and Restaurant yet??

KoKi9290
07-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Now the real question is.....

Did they ever start on the new Bar and Restaurant yet??

Choirboy is there as we speak and can tell us how it goes. But when I was there last week, they were well along and working late into the night to stay on sked. I believe they are aiming to be done in aboout two more weeks.
Choirboy, Did Steve's new bar open yesterday?

KoKi9290
08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Got back from NG on Tuesday and they still had about ten days Dominican time til the finish of the restaurant. Much more noise than when I was there in June but still not terrible. They were laying the tile floor and it looked very nice.

Count
08-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks. I'll be there in 16 days!

voltage69
08-02-2009, 06:42 AM
wow looks much different, i guess maybe theyre looking to get some traffic for the restaurant from the street with that open look. where have the customers been having their breakfast?

SrSuerte
08-02-2009, 06:53 AM
wow looks much different, i guess maybe theyre looking to get some traffic for the restaurant from the street with that open look. where have the customers been having their breakfast?

The NG customers? On the inside next to the pool. If I don't eat at the hotel I have been to baily's around the corner next to Banco Popular.

KoKi9290
08-02-2009, 09:16 PM
To add a little drama to the restaurant story, Willie fucked up his shoulder and was being operated on last Wednesday in POP clinic. He walked around with his right arm in a sling for the few days leading up to the surgery. He told me it would be a month of recuperation but he could cook with one arm. Anyone there who can let us know that everything came out alright for him?

SrSuerte
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
How much more further along are they since Mid-July? Dam I just realized I just got back. It seems like it has been a long time. I already want to go back.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/163704a636e65223e6.gif

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/163704a636e64ad2f1.gif

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/163704a636e64c0b60.png

voltage69
08-15-2009, 12:54 PM
hows the construction coming? anyone?

daddyooo
08-15-2009, 03:39 PM
They have come a long way.....This is what it looked like in June

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=2937

Plaso
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
and now august 15th

chicmatic
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
and now august 15th

Wow, very nice! Much improved since early July. I also noticed the new website. You're doing it big.

voltage69
08-16-2009, 09:48 AM
looks great. chicmatic, saw your timer.. see you there.

cdstart=Here%20I%20go%20AGAIN&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/chica11.jpg&yr=2009&mo=8&da=28&hr=13&mi=0&sc=0&cdend=Time%20for%20a%20new%20countdown&txtcolor=0xb20000&untilcolor=0xffff00

Hemp
08-16-2009, 01:20 PM
This should be a good look for the NG when its done...ive always found the NG rather pleasant to stop by and chill for a few even though its a heavy monger spot. Its still pretty chill over there. I always make it point to stop in there atleast once per trip and kick it for a while...

3somefan
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Great work!! I am much looking forward to eating at the new restaurant very soon! :D

Jimbo44
08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Wilfred, see you in December. Maybe sooner, if things work out....

bklyndrguy
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
wow what a makeover looks great can anyone tell whats on the dinner manu lunch and dinner ? thanx alot

can wait 6 more weeks :) jimbo hope u coming

JuanElGriego
08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I HAVE TO AGREE with jimmydr those hamburgers suck in dr theytaste sweat or something

I like all kinds of pasta anyways but i never eat it as much as i do when i'm down in the DR. It's simple, tastes good, and won't get you sick. Give me a plate of Penne and some garlic bread and i'm good to go down there.

gmalet
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Wilfred where's the TV!!!

Hemp
08-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Dont you mean wheres the 52 inch flat screen?

:biggrin:

3somefan
08-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Dont you mean wheres the 52 inch flat screen?

:biggrin:

I think I would rather look at the hookers around the place instead of having a t.v. :wink:

gmalet
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I look at hookers all the time. I also watch the Chicago Bears when I'm in town and thats a great place to watch it at.

JD426
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Very nice. Looks very much complete to me. Thats a nice big area, well put together, Im looking forward to it now. See ya in Sept.

Tiger
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks really great! It's amazing they got something like that done so fast in the DR. I agree with the TV. Could be a great place to watch NFL games. Also they need to have hashbrowns or homefries for breakfast. Thats the only reason we didn't eat there last trip. Need spuds for breakfast.

rushdog34
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
how good is the lunch before i head down stairs lol

Plaso
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM
today we saw the track an field championship in Berlin

rushdog34
08-19-2009, 06:39 PM
as of right now its smelling good from my room

Plaso
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
the pic was left

gmalet
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Wilfred tell Lorenzo he needs two TVs in each corner. One for the Americans so we can watch American football. One in the other corner for the Italians so they can watch Futbal (Soccer).

Hoseman
08-21-2009, 03:50 PM
the pic was leftIt looks nice you may want to work on your Customer Service I was in there a couple of days ago I sat there for 10 mintues no one ever came over and asked me about placing an order or aknowledge that I was there so I left and went some where else.

The Legend
08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
What your said about the hamburgers are very true they sucked and they are so easy to make .

rushdog34
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM
had breakfast for the first time today and i was happy with it... and u cant beat the price lol

3somefan
08-22-2009, 12:58 PM
had breakfast for the first time today and i was happy with it... and u cant beat the price lol

Any eye candy??

rushdog34
08-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Any eye candy??

at that time there was only 1 leaving a room and wasnt that impressive... but the days that i have been in sosua there seems to be a new shipment everyday or something lol

Trib
08-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Voodoo Doughnut in portland has an appropriate catch phrase "the magic is in the hole"

Gutter Meat
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Just got finishing dinner at the New Garden restaurant..ordered the speghetti bolinese. It was ok came with 3 pieces of garlic bread however......the portion was small as all hell. I think someone here posted about a minimal hamberger too... They use the tactical illusion of big plate to make it look bigger... but it was minimal.

I had a great experience however today at Scotch n Serlion.

Jimbo44
09-14-2010, 11:19 PM
When Willie was the cook the food was excellent, as was the prices. I eat only the free breakfast while there
There are too many other places to chow down at!!

Gutter Meat
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Brand new brick oven just installed at New Garden. Just had a margarita pizza, 180 pesos.

LJDMV
06-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Brand new brick oven just installed at New Garden. Just had a margarita pizza, 180 pesos.
What size pizza is that?

Gutter Meat
06-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Scotch & Sirloin just installed a new wood burning oven for pizza.

Gutter Meat
06-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Best ever anywhere, Patsy's coal oven pizza , East Harlem NY.

Gutter Meat
06-15-2013, 03:16 PM
New brick oven at New Garden..

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78316&d=1371323702