PDA

View Full Version : NYC Safest City In US

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
The violent crime category is comprised of murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Property crimes include burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft. Arson is a property crime, but its statistics are calculated separately.
Among cities with a population exceeding 500,000 residents, New York City tops the list of safest cities in America. The Big Apple saw a decrease of 4% in violent crime from 2007, handily beating the national average. The overall drop consists of a 9% decrease in assaults (the largest sub category), but is marred by a 5.4% increase in murder, 1.7% increase in rape and a 1.8% increase in robbery. New York City's per-capita crime rate hovers at 4.2%.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg touted the continuing downtrend in crime activity, declaring that New York City has had "43 fewer murders, 1,415 fewer robberies and 491 fewer cars stolen" in the first five months of 2009 compared to 2008. Bloomberg continued, "Using innovative policing strategies and a focus on keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, we are continuing to do more with less, in spite of the economic downturn."
Tuscon, Arizona, however, does have a lower crime rate than New York City, at 2.9% per-capita, but a lack of property crime statistics prevents it from achieving the top spot.
After New York, America's safest cities are: San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, El Paso, Honolulu, Denver, Boston, Las Vegas and Louisville.
And the U.S.'s least safe city? That distinction goes to Memphis, Tennessee, with a crime rate of 18% per capita, followed by Atlanta (16%), San Antonio (15.2%), Detroit (13.7%) and Milwaukee (13.4%). These rates reflect the total crimes detailed in the FBI's report divided by the population of the city.

New York also tops the list of safest cities with more than a million residents, beating out Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego and San Jose. These cities all saw an impressive reduction in all three major categories of crime.
Curiously, only the smallest category of cities - those with under ten thousand people - saw an increase in the number of murders, rapes and robberies.

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I gotta move to NYC where it is safe.

Jimmydr
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM

No hookers here, it sucks.:eek:

yayow
06-07-2009, 11:58 AM
New policies as far as policing, and all the additional federal monies that came into the city to help fight terroism, inevitably if you stop terroism you also stop other crimes, because there are more eyes watching.

Also a lot of the money trickled down to the local agencies, and has been utilized in most cases quite wisely.

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
No hookers here, it sucks.:eek:Maybe rape is high they did not mention it.

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
New policies as far as policing, and all the additional federal monies that came into the city to help fight terroism, inevitably if you stop terroism you also stop other crimes, because there are more eyes watching.

Also a lot of the money trickled down to the local agencies, and has been utilized in most cases quite wisely.They did to get some of that money here in the D we were ranked the most dangerous among Major cities.What ever money we get the Politician's steal.They never hire the amount of Cops that they are Budgeted for.It's getting like the Wild West here.

curiousdude
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
NYC is the only place I have lived where I have NOT been the victim of some crime. Even though that asshole Guiliani and his successor's hype should not be believed (you know, there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics"), the city is, and has always been, safer than most non-New Yorkers imagine.

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 12:30 PM
NYC is the only place I have lived where I have NOT been the victim of some crime. Even though that asshole Guiliani and his successor's hype should not be believed (you know, there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics"), the city is, and has always been, safer than most non-New Yorkers imagine.I Guess since that is where all the Money is they have to keep it safe.

papirazzi
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
No hookers here, it sucks.:eek:

Yeah, there used to be a time when you couldn't walk down 42nd street without seeing at a minimum 10 hookers.....and Bklyn & Qns had there hot spots too! Way b4 the days of CL & the others...It was crazy! I kinda miss those days, LOL

Elvis
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
NYC is the only place I have lived where I have NOT been the victim of some crime. Even though that asshole Guiliani and his successor's hype should not be believed (you know, there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics"), the city is, and has always been, safer than most non-New Yorkers imagine.

Since I was in early years, but most elders I talk to mention the high amount of robberies in the 80's !

And now I think it's more dangerous for woman with all the shit I've been reading..

Woman who went to the club and got murdered by the bouncer ! About a while ago, some women got raped inside a subway platform, and when she requested assistance from the token booth collector, he didn't do shit !

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
From the things I have read they have tough laws there especially gun laws.I was Suprised at the time they were talking about giving P Diddy about that gun that time.Here someone like him would have been looking at probation.

PapiQueRico
06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
From the things I have read they have tough laws there especially gun laws.I was Suprised at the time they were talking about giving P Diddy about that gun that time.Here someone like him would have been looking at probation.

Just ask Plaxico!

Hoseman
06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Just ask Plaxico!That's what i am talking about.He would get a pass here.