PDA

View Full Version : Sosua Trip Report - Other activies

shredder
06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I had a short list of other things I wanted to do while I was in Sosua. One of those things was to visit Puerto Plata. I took a group taxi up there one day and walked the Malecon. It's really a nice stretch of beach with a walkway dividing the beach from the main street. Every 150 yards there's a structure with a snack bar. There are some nice looking apartments on that street facing the beach. Also, along that street there are some nice restaurants. There are a few hotels along the street. What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such....not the case. It would be a nice place to live if you don't like crowds.

shredder
06-19-2009, 07:11 PM
On the way to Puerto Plata there is a Go Kart park. I went there with a girl and her 9 year old. It's fun to go there with some people. The Karts are not exactly high tech. They have some that go maybe 35mph and then another track with some that go 25mph for smaller kids. The slower track has some two-seaters so an adult can take a kid.

shredder
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
One day I went to Playa Dorado to play golf. The course is more or less average in difficulty. It is well maintained. I enjoyed playing there. I used rental clubs, had a caddie (required) and a cart. It all came to about $70. It was fun but for half that I can play on better courses here at home so it's not something I'll do on my next trip. The Playa Dorada complex looks pretty impressive...condos, houses and an all-inclusive resort...is that correct?

givengo440
06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Shredder thanks for the intel. I for one don't like a whole trip to be about only about pussy.

shredder
06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
One day I took a group taxi to Cabarette. It is about 7 miles east on the main highway from Sosua. I was really taken with the town. It is definitely a tourist town with a beautiful beach that attracts wind and kite surfers. The town has more of an outdoor activity culture to it. There are lots of nice shops and restaurants. The draw back to the town is that the main street of town is also the main highway so there is a constant level of traffic.

From the main street I walked down an alley to the beach. You can see that in the first picture. There are other pictures of the beach, beach front condos and restaurants on the beach. I ate lunch there at one of the beach front restaurants and the food was delicious. These beach restaurants are different from Sosua Beach in that they are in real buildings and not shacks. Many of them have an entrance on the main street and a deck on the beach.

I really like Cabarette. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women. Cabarette brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day. Maybe at night the lookers come out and troll for wealthy tourists but on my visit I saw average Dominicanas...actually one looker at an internet cafe.

weyland
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such ... not the case.
You're right and, if you think it is quiet now, it was even quieter before they opened the La Sirena supermarket. I once needed a motoconcho to get back to Billy's and walked for ten minutes without seeing one. Anywhere else in Puerto Plata or Sosúa you have to fight them off.

The Fortaleza end gets busy at the weekends as a meeting point for young middle-class Dominicans. They meet to compete with their carboot sound systems as to whose is loudest.

Not sure what you mean by "at one end of town" though. It runs the whole length of the town from Long Beach to the Fortaleza (25 minutes walk).

It would be a nice place to live if you didn't like crowds.
The sea view condos can be surprisingly reasonably priced. It's a great location but I am not sure about security. In an enclosed barrio strangers are more obvious. Here anyone could rob your house and make a quick getaway unnoticed. If I could be reassured on that point I would consider living there myself.

shredder
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
One day I went around with a realtor and looked at houses and condos. It was very interesting. I won't go into the state of the real estate market but it appeared to me that the collapse of real estate in the states is having a "trickle down" effect on vacation properties....not to mention the adverse effect it had on UK real estate as Weyland will attest to. I saw many casas and casitas in the hills/mountains above Sosua and also a condo that is maybe 4 miles east of Sosua. It had been purchased for $160K 2 years ago and the owner wants out for $120K...or maybe less next fall.

bentwire
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
if your gringo forget about getting a good price on a house, marry a chica and live with the family:rofl::rofl:

weyland
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
On the way to Puerto Plata there is a Go Kart park. I went there with a girl and her 9 year old. It's fun to go there with some people. The Karts are not exactly high tech. They have some that go maybe 35mph and then another track with some that go 25mph for smaller kids. The slower track has some two-seaters so an adult can take a kid.
I was privileged to be at Fun City when this guy, Dale Weyhardt Jr, set the lap record which still stands:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/65684a3ccf33941db.jpg

eldorob
06-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I was privileged to be at Fun City when this guy, Dale Weyhardt Jr, set the lap record which still stands:

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/65684a3ccf33941db.jpg)

Yeah, but I heard he kept driving on the wrong side of the road.

Young Hero
06-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I really like Cabarette. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women.
Cabarette brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day. Maybe at night the lookers come out and troll for wealthy tourists but on my visit I saw average Dominicanas...actually one looker at an internet cafe.

Some friends and I had a late dinner in Cabarette a few weeks ago. There were quite a few stunners walking up and down the beach. Unfortunately most of them were gringas. The tourists definitely out number the locals. All the local girls seemed to be huddled up at some small bar adjacent to one of the discos on the beach. I saw one or two local girls that caught my eye, however, we all brought sand to the beach. Maybe next time.

Jimmydr
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Caberette is an excellant place to hang out. Its only 15 minutes from Sosua by Gwa Gwa.

Kennilingus
06-20-2009, 11:34 AM

For a small propina they will remove the speed governor ... with the governor removed you can lap the others at least once every 2 laps!

For me, that's putting the fun in Fun City!

shredder
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I forgot to mention a good aside about the Fun City gokarts. The go Karts steering wheel is not round. It is butterfly shaped. The track is very turny and so you are constantly fighting the wheel. The day I was there I ran a few sessions and developed a blister on my left palm....

....I couldn't help but laugh at the irony that on a vacation to Sosua I came home with a blister on my left palm.:lol::lol::lol:

Jimmydr
06-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Most people don't realize this, but there is more than enpugh things to keep a guy busy for months in this country.

weyland
06-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I really like Cabarete. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women. Cabarete brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day.
The authorities in Cabarete are much keener on "cleaning" up the town so putas are less free to wander the streets. Also a greater proportion of tourists are female than in Sosúa so male tourists are less interested (or maybe less free) to go with whores.

cervezalover
06-21-2009, 06:24 AM
The authorities in Cabarete are much keener on "cleaning" up the town so putas are less free to wander the streets. Also a greater proportion of tourists are female than in Sosúa so male tourists are less interested (or maybe less free) to go with whores.

I also think that Cabarete attracts a different kind of crowd due to all the surf activities (wind surfing...) and the last time i was i also thaught it attracted a young crowd in general. Also i think that the beaches are nicer in Cabarete than in Sosua.

cervezalover
06-21-2009, 06:35 AM
I had a short list of other things I wanted to do while I was in Sosua. One of those things was to visit Puerto Plata. I took a group taxi up there one day and walked the Malecon. It's really a nice stretch of beach with a walkway dividing the beach from the main street. Every 150 yards there's a structure with a snack bar. There are some nice looking apartments on that street facing the beach. Also, along that street there are some nice restaurants. There are a few hotels along the street. What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such....not the case. It would be a nice place to live if you don't like crowds.

You can also use a cablecar which is called Teleferico and it gets you up to a hill called Pico Isabel de Torres.
In Puerto Plata you can also visit the Amber museum in town and the Brugal rum factory.
Another site to see is the fortress in Puerto Plata (San Felipe) and if you want to you can also visit the first european settlement in the new world called La Isabelda.

weyland
06-21-2009, 06:54 AM
... you can also visit the first European settlement in the New World called La Isabela.
Just to clarify, La Isabela is an hour or more's drive from Puerto Plata past Imbert.

cervezalover
06-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Just to clarify, La Isabela is an hour or more's drive from Puerto Plata past Imbert.

Yup that is true round about 50 km.

Jimmydr
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM

There was a cool and wild place call typical that was chock full of whores. I guess they shut that place down.

WickedWillie
06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
There was a cool and wild place call typical that was chock full of whores. I guess they shut that place down.

To the best of my knowledge no place in Cabarete has ever been shut down by the authorities. The owner of the tipico sold the land to condo developers. I heard for 1 million.

Jimmydr
06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
To the best of my knowledge no place in Cabarete has ever been shut down by the authorities. The owner of the tipico sold the land to condo developers. I heard for 1 million.

He made a very good move. :iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

Westy
11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Scuba diving is Sosua Bay is pretty good. You can also do snorkeling, if you aren't ready for the deep stuff, or learn scuba-diving if that entices you.

I dove with Scuba Elite, www.scubaelitedr.com (http://www.scubaelitedr.com), on my October visit. A smaller shop, on Calle Duarte just a couple of doors down from the triangle (between Bailey's and the Happy Hour bar). The owner and divemaster is British; she is an excellent diver and fun to hang out with between and after dives.

Water conditions are not really clear - maybe 30 to 50 feet - but it is warm. The coral reefs have some problems, but they're still pretty healthy; I saw a few bleached spots and some of the soft-coral "bushes" were bare, however they're well in the minority. Not a lot in the way of big fauna, except for plenty of yellowtail, but we aren't coming here for the diving; if we were, we'd be going to Saba or Bonaire.

(Diving is a good 'nominal excuse' to tell anyone who might disapprove of your REAL reason for visiting Sosua.)

SeaWeed
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
this opened my eyes a bit on the happenings in Cabarete and some other areas mentioned in the thread

Citynights
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
One day I went to Playa Dorado to play golf. The course is more or less average in difficulty. It is well maintained. I enjoyed playing there. I used rental clubs, had a caddie (required) and a cart. It all came to about $70. It was fun but for half that I can play on better courses here at home so it's not something I'll do on my next trip. The Playa Dorada complex looks pretty impressive...condos, houses and an all-inclusive resort...is that correct?

Next time try Playa Grande....11to12 holes are along the coast...awesome veiw 50 ft cliffs...a good test of golf depending on your pick of tee boxes...just take the public taxi to get there... check out their website..