PDA

View Full Version : Malaria meds in DR

FnB
06-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Are malaria meds easy to get in Sosua?

eldorob
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Probably somewhere, but don't you have to take those in advance of a trip?

There is a Health section here, look for info on a Dr Salazar (spelling probably off)

I have NEVER seen a misquito in the DR.

Jimmydr
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Probably somewhere, but don't you have to take those in advance of a trip?

There is a Health section here, look for info on a Dr Salazar (spelling probably off)

That doctor will kill you, he is a nut.

eldorob
06-24-2009, 08:00 PM
That doctor will kill you, he is a nut.

and no more malaria problems....

Ok, then there is a female Doc office between the Farmacia & Bon Ice Cream on Dr Rosen. This is the same road as Rockys

And there is a smokin hot spinner in the farmacia that is untouchable. But you can always try...:rofl:

Jimmydr
06-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Ok, then there is a female Doc office between the Farmacia & Bon Ice Cream on Dr Rosen. This is the same road as Rockys

And there is a smokin hot spinner in the farmacia that is untouchable. But you can always try...:rofl:

Closet doctor I would use would be in Puerto Plata, the rest will kill you.

moshy2k
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Doctor Salazar is a good doctor. He can handle the normal minor stuff most will encounter in the DR.

Jimmydr
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Doctor Salazar is a good doctor. He can handle the normal minor stuff most will encounter in the DR.

But he will try to handle everything he encounters.:icontd:

Killed by doctor, not what I am looking for here, hahaha

moshy2k
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
But he will try to handle everything he encounters.:icontd:

Killed by doctor, not what I am looking for here, hahaha

Umm, thats his job lol. I would consider him to be on the same level as a normal clinic doctor stateside. If you have a serious medical emergency than a good hospital is your best bet. Otherwise for the bumps, bruises and minor itch, stomach virus we might get in town he will do a very good job. Most of the stuff he sees is the norm for the area.

In my 4+ years I have gotten sick 3 times and he did a great job each time. I always follow up with my doctor when I get home. So far everything he has done has been what my doctor would have done.

Did you have a bad experience with him? As saying " he will kill you" seems way over the top lol.

weyland
06-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Are malaria meds easy to get in Sosua?
Why do you ask?

The best anti-malaria drug is Malarone. It is the strongest but with least side-effects (except on your wallet).
http://www.emoware.org/buy-malarone.asp

I was recently prescribed Malarone by my doctor for a trip to Kenya (which I cancelled at the last moment).

First time I went to the DR (North Coast) my local travel clinic nurse insisted I take malaria tablets (Doxycycline). I suspect they gave me slight diarrhoea although I am not sure it was them. Once I became more knowledgable about the North Coast I realised that the chances of a gringo tourist catching malaria are extremely small and I have never bothered since and I don't think anyone else on here does either.

Dengue is a much greater threat but you cannot protect against that in advance with drugs, all you can do is protect yourself from daytime mosquito bites by covering up and using Deet-based sprays and creams.

There are a few areas in the DR where malaria is a serious threat, along the Haitian border, parts of the South-West and far East, some poor barrios in the capital, but nowhere where gringo mongers normally go.

To answer your actual question, I am sure you could buy malaria drugs in Sosúa but they won't be cheaper than in North America or Europe and they may be of suspect quality. Also, as Eldorob says, you need to start taking them two days before your trip (also continue for one week after your return home).

If Eldorob has never seen a mosquito in the DR I will easily recognise him if we are both there at the same time by his white stick and dark glasses. I already knew he would be accompanied by a dog.

eldorob
06-25-2009, 06:57 AM
If Eldorob has never seen a mosquito in the DR I will easily recognise him if we are both there at the same time by his white stick and dark glasses. I already knew he would be accompanied by a dog.

Not one Misquito in 18+ trips. I don't think they like me.

But I did walk up on this 6" Spider one morning at 6AM :eek:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/6816451b124e35615.jpg

weyland
06-25-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't think they like me.
Who does? Besides, mosquitoes are Democrats.

But I did walk up on this 6" Spider one morning at 6AM.
I hope you left it alone. It does a useful job reducing the insect population. The only dangerous spider in the DR is the Brown Recluse which is very shy, as its name suggests, and is much smaller than yours.

ErikS
06-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Not anymore. Dr Anny Marte did have an office there. She was an excellent doctor who I utilized when needed for about 400 DR pesos per visit.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/49604a43f96cc3f5f.jpg

But alas, she has closed up shop and moved to the good ol' US of A. Rumor has it that she is engaged to ISOC's own Magnum (and I believe that is why he has posted a "farewell thread" - he's getting married to her. :eek::rolleyes::wink: