PDA

View Full Version : Monsignor: Governors can't be softies

NewsWhore
06-26-2009, 05:02 PM
The Bishop of San Francisco de Macoris, Monsignor Jesus Maria de Jesus Moya spoke out yesterday, calling for a government with more authority. "They should not be softies, but need to be capable of applying the laws and earnest", he said, as reported in Hoy.
He urged the government to deliver the RD$4 billion it had promised for the education sector during the summit held early this year. The money would be used to raise quality standards of public education.
He said that for years there has been no evidence of political will and instead there is buck-passing between the public and private sector, when both groups should join forces to solve the problems.
"A softie cannot govern, it has to be a strong and earnest person," said the bishop. He urged society to demand ethics from politicians, instead of accepting that to be a politician is synonymous with being a liar.
"See that I am almost 75 years old, and all my life I have heard that government is going to resolve the electricity problem and everything has remained the same," he said.
Monsignor de Jesus, who is rector of the Universidad Nordestana in San Francisco de Macoris, said that there has never been political will to put education first. He said this is also due to a lack of community empowerment and unity.
He criticized the great levels of inequity in the country, commenting on thousands of good public servants who make pennies, while there are others who work very little and get paid millions.
Monsignor also criticized the business sector, saying there were private groups that think the government has to do everything.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#5)