PDA

View Full Version : Taxis to and from BB's

hudagle
06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
A few trips ago, I hooked up with a taxi driver (Victor) who charged me 1,000 pesos for rides to and from the POP Airport and Blackbeard's. Victor proved to be punctual and reliable over the course of several visits.

On my most recent trip within the last couple of weeks, I again had Victor meet me at the airport and transport me to BB's. However, on the way home, I learned that outside taxis are no longer allowed through the Costambar gates to pick up fares.

I was forced to use one of the local Costambar taxis for the return trip to the airport, as Victor was denied entrance to Costambar. The tab was 1600 pesos (compared to Victor's charge of 1,000).

But to add insult to injury, whenever we were driving up an incline, the cabbie had to turn his air conditioner off, the car could not climb and cool at the same time. And of course it was very hot in June!

This sucks. John at BB's says it is some government thing, the outside taxis being allowed in to drop off, but not pick up.

perks
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
sounds like he may have a gig with the taxi inside, on my last trip,was leaving BB using a guy who picked me up at airport and the local taxi's went crazy on him and he had me go with one of them . The local guys are fucking rude and I tell them fuck u I go with who I want but my guy said please just go with him.

Kevy
06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
The taxis control the area, BB has no control and will have problems if outside taxis are used. You will have to get your taxi at the gate if it is not allowed inside.

eastcoastallstar
06-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Those Costambar Taxi mother fuckers are the scum of the earth.

To call them the Taxi Mafia would be giving them too much credit, there more like leeches.

But to answer the OP question $30 is a fare price from POP to BB's.

weyland
06-28-2009, 04:45 AM
I learned that outside taxis are no longer allowed through the Costambar gates to pick up fares.

This has been the case for the three years I have been visiting the DR. Sure, one or two have come in but presumably they paid a surcharge at the driver's office near the gate.

A few trips ago, I hooked up with a taxi driver (Victor) who charged me 1,000 pesos for rides to and from the POP Airport and Blackbeard's. Victor proved to be punctual and reliable over the course of several visits.

If this is Victor of Techni-Taxi then I agree. He is punctual, reliable, a safe and sensible driver, vast knowledge of the area and normally honest, though I have been told that even he is not above padding the bill with newbies. I recommend him, but agree the price first to be on the safe side.

hudagle
06-28-2009, 06:00 AM
This has been the case for the three years I have been visiting the DR. Sure, one or two have come in but presumably they paid a surcharge at the driver's office near the gate.

However on my previous two visits, in December and April, he was able to get in to pick me up at BB's for the trip to the airport. But not in June. In June, he called me from the gate and told me he could not get in.

If this is Victor of Techi-Taxi then I agree. He is punctual, reliable, a safe and sensible driver, vast knowledge of the area and normally honest, though I have been told that even he is not above padding the bill with newbies. I recommend him, but agree the price first to be on the safe side.

Yes, Victor of Techni-Taxi. We have agreed on the price in advance. I have also given him a nice tip because not only has he been there and greeted me the instant I walked out of the airport, but he has also stopped at the Orange store in Puerta Plata to help me get my phone reactivated, and also at Jenny's for me on the way in to enable me to change some money.

MrHappy
06-28-2009, 08:45 AM
So why wouldn't you jump on a motoconcho up to the gate, and meet Victor there?

hudagle
06-28-2009, 08:54 AM
So why wouldn't you jump on a motoconcho up to the gate, and meet Victor there?

I have thought about that. But of course I have my backpack and carry-on-size suitcase to transport also. Think I could pull that off on a motoconcho?

Hoseman
06-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I was thinking about doing BB's for a couple of days but the Taxi cost is kind of putting a squash on those plans.It must be about 60 bucks to get to Sosua.I may just do the FOD.

MrHappy
06-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I was thinking about doing BB's for a couple of days but the Taxi cost is kind of putting a squash on those plans.It must be about 60 bucks to get to Sosua.I may just do the FOD.

Of course you could.

Worse case, call two motoconchos. It would only be a couple of bucks for both.

DominicanBilly
06-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Back in 2001-2 when I opened the Sand Trap Inn (now Blackbeards) I had all kinds of problems with the taxi mafia in Costambar. They would not even let me pick up clients and bring them in from the airport. They threatened to slash my tires if I "stole" their fares anymore. I had to give in to their threats or have my station wagon trashed. The other taxi drivers like Victor have to knuckle under to their threats. I have no solution to the problem.

eastcoastallstar
06-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I would suggest tipping the guards at the gates, they are the one who have the final say anyway.

weyland
06-29-2009, 06:00 AM
I would suggest tipping the guards at the gates, they are the one who have the final say anyway.
That wouldn't work. The taxistas' office/restroom is just past the gate and they watch who goes in and out from there. If the guards repeatedly annoyed them they would get the guards replaced (or more likely intimidated). They have the juice to do that. Along with the Church and the Armed Forces the transport cartels are the only bodies which can stand up to national and local goverment and sometimes win.

MrHappy
06-29-2009, 07:04 AM
See post # 7

eastcoastallstar
06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
That wouldn't work. The taxistas' office/restroom is just past the gate and they watch who goes in and out from there. If the guards repeatedly annoyed them they would get the guards replaced (or more likely intimidated). They have the juice to do that. Along with the Church and the Armed Forces the transport cartels are the only bodies which can stand up to national and local goverment and sometimes win.

Your giving them too much credit.

passasabe
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Rented a Pasola and made it there in 20 minutes from Charamicos sosua.

Fun and exciting ride

Kennilingus
06-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Fun and exciting ride

20 minutes from Sosua to BB's ... was that Pasola equiped with Nitrous Oxide?

weyland
06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Careful! Making statements like that may undermine your credibility about all the free pussy you got in Sosúa. :)

MrHappy
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Fun and exciting ride

If you say so.....

daddy999
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Just got back the other day and promise to post a report. it seemed like we got to Sosua in like 20 minutes from BB's. However, it seemed longer and closer to 30-35 minutes going back. It could have seemed like it was longer on the way back due to the physical exertion while at LP's:wink:

passasabe
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Careful! Making statements like that may undermine your credibility about all the free pussy you got in Sosúa. :)

ok fine ... pehaps 30 minutes - easy riding