PDA

View Full Version : Aura Fernandez: transparency

NewsWhore
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Central Electoral Judge (JCE) Aura Celeste Fernandez has persistently called for increased transparency at the JCE. Fernandez says the JCE has an operating budget of RD$2.5 billion, but that its members don't know what the budgetary spending consists of because the judges have never discussed the topic.
"I see rental contracts of RD$2,000 and RD$3,000 for civil registry offices but I've never seen them," said Fernandez, quoted in Hoy. Fernandez also says the JCE has authorized contracts of RD$400 million, without having been authorized reviewed by the other JCE judges.
"I don't know if Dr. Julio Cesar Castanos Guzman signs those contracts, in legal representation of the JCE. He probably does, but he does not take these contracts to his fellow judges of the JCE for approval."
She voiced her criticisms against the JCE Administrative Chamber, adding that there is a culture of fear in that office that has silenced all government employees there.
She added that there was a culture of "secrecy" at the JCE and a lack of responsibility because Castanos Guzman has never asked for increased levels of austerity for the JCE judges.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#4)