PDA

View Full Version : DR: MORE OWNERSHIP PAPERS THAN LAND

ROVER
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
From Sosua news

"There are more ownership papers than land
According to the daily newspaper Diario Libre, as of 30 June, there are ownership papers covering 72,000 km2 of land, despite the fact that the country is only 48,000 km2 in size! In 1777 the island was split into French and Spanish sections, with the Spanish section being 48,000 km2. However, if all ownership papers are added together, the country has suddenly grown by 24,000 km2. According to the director of the central land registry, Bolívar Marte, the plots of land were never measured precisely in the past."

Well most of us allready knew this but it is encouraging to see that the goverment has finally discovered it too.

eldorob
07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I would guess that some of that is due to poor record keeping. That even happens in the States.

But you still need a very good land atty. to buy something down there. And even then I would be very careful.

By the way, I have a bridge for sale between NYC & NJ. It's very pretty at night.

Jimmydr
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Its due to scams all over the country over the past 30 years.

Si_Poppi
07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
What makes this news even more incredible is that a lot of people in the DR don't have any paper title to what is supposedly their land.