PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to the DR

purejc
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey guys this is John the cafe owner from Cartagena. I closed down the cafe about 2 years ago and have not traveled much since I left Colombia. I have planned my first trip to Puerto Plata and considering doing another cafe there can I have some vets give me some input on if it is a good move. Some of you who traveled to Cartagena in 05 to 07 know me in fact I meet JimmyDR on his first trip. Would love to have any help that you give

Hunter
07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow --- voice from the past. Hey John I was down there with JDR his first trip........

So you left all those beautiful paisas... what did the heat get to you??? I know you didn't tire of the paisa beauty...

As far as opening a cafe... what are you a sucker for punishment :p Mr. Happy is your man to talk to... I am sure he will see this thread at some point....

purejc
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks Hunter it is good to hear from you again. I am not looking for punishment just wanting to live my dream life and it worked in Colombia just had too many expenses (rent 2500 dollars). I hope to maybe catch you in the DR sometime I will be there from July 30 to Sept 10 return on Sept 16 and head back home sometime in Nov before Thanksgiving. Anyone having info on how to get a temporary visa would help also

Hunter
07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Hunter it is good to hear from you again. I am not looking for punishment just wanting to live my dream life and it worked in Colombia just had too many expenses (rent 2500 dollars). I hope to maybe catch you in the DR sometime I will be there from July 30 to Sept 10 return on Sept 16 and head back home sometime in Nov before Thanksgiving. Anyone having info on how to get a temporary visa would help also

Good for you... Don't take my cynical views on the cafe too seriously... I am a small business owner myself so am somewhat jaded with this recession :eek:

I do know that very few businesses make it down there so tread cafefully.... the 2 guys making money from service type businesses seems to be Peter from La Passions and the New Garden owner...

I would talk to as many people as I can during your stay.. good luck...

weyland
07-16-2009, 05:21 AM
There are numerous internet cafés in Puerto Plata, including at least one satisfactory one. If you can offer something the others don't have then you may succeed, but it doesn't immediately strike me as a service desperately needed in the area.

I don't know anything about running a business in Colombia but gringos running small businesses in the DR can suffer lots of harrassment, even blackmail, from the police and local authorities, especially if they are competing with Dominican owned businesses. On top of that are the frustrations of getting anything supplied, fixed or maintained reasonably promptly, the frequent and prolonged power outages, the lack of any efficient postal service meaning everything has to be couriered in from abroad, and the near impossibility of finding an efficient and honest lawyer to take your side in any dispute with locals.

Maybe 10% of gringo-owned businesses make it through the first year and maybe 1% past the fifth year.

If you like a challenge, go for it! :)

MrHappy
07-16-2009, 07:36 AM
There are numerous internet cafés in Puerto Plata, including at least one satisfactory one. If you can offer something the others don't have then you may succeed, but it doesn't immediately strike me as a service desperately needed in the area.

I don't know anything about running a business in Colombia but gringos running small businesses in the DR can suffer lots of harrassment, even blackmail, from the police and local authorities, especially if they are competing with Dominican owned businesses. On top of that are the frustrations of getting anything supplied, fixed or maintained reasonably promptly, the frequent and prolonged power outages, the lack of any efficient postal service meaning everything has to be couriered in from abroad, and the near impossibility of finding an efficient and honest lawyer to take your side in any dispute with locals.

Maybe 10% of gringo-owned businesses make it through the first year and maybe 1% past the fifth year.

If you like a challenge, go for it! :)

Saying there are numerous internet cafes in Puerto Plata(or anywhere else) is like saying there are numerous catholics in Rome.

Every schmuck and his brother has an internet cafe. I know of a ton of stand alone businesses that have tried installing internet cafes in one corner, and all of them have gotten rid of them.

That dog can't hunt.

BTW, I'm in the 1% club.

Jimmydr
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys this is John the cafe owner from Cartagena. I closed down the cafe about 2 years ago and have not traveled much since I left Colombia. I have planned my first trip to Puerto Plata and considering doing another cafe there can I have some vets give me some input on if it is a good move. Some of you who traveled to Cartagena in 05 to 07 know me in fact I meet JimmyDR on his first trip. Would love to have any help that you give

You would be better off with one in Medellin.

Jimmydr
07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow --- voice from the past. Hey John I was down there with JDR his first trip........

So you left all those beautiful paisas... what did the heat get to you??? I know you didn't tire of the paisa beauty...

As far as opening a cafe... what are you a sucker for punishment :p Mr. Happy is your man to talk to... I am sure he will see this thread at some point....

Paisas are in Medellin, not Cartengna.:eek:

Jimmydr
07-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Rent in Medellin is as low as $400 a month, so I hear.