PDA

View Full Version : STI to Sosua?

xman26
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I will be headed there in Nov. and Feb. I am about to book tickets. STI seems a little less expensive than POP. How far is the ride from STI to Sosua!

Thanks in advance!

cervezalover
07-24-2009, 06:22 AM
I will be headed there in Nov. and Feb. I am about to book tickets. STI seems a little less expensive than POP. How far is the ride from STI to Sosua!

Thanks in advance!

It should take you round about 2 hours depending on traffic and road conditions.
There are 2 bus companies in the D.R. Caribe tours and Metro.
Their station in Santiago is in the same street.
Just keep im mind that Caribe tours is going to drop you off in Los Caramicos and from there you will have to take a moto or taxi to your hotel, condo in Sosua.
On the other hand the Metro bus will drop you off right in the center of Sosua next to La Bomba or gasstation, and from there everything is in walking distance.
Rice should be between a 100 and 150 pesos round about 5 bucks.

www.caribetours.com.do (http://www.caribetours.com.do)
www.metroserviciosturisticos.com (http://www.metroserviciosturisticos.com)

weyland
07-24-2009, 07:42 AM
It should take you round about 2 hours depending on traffic and road conditions.
There are 2 bus companies in the D.R. Caribe tours and Metro.
Their station in Santiago is in the same street.
Just keep im mind that Caribe tours is going to drop you off in Los Caramicos and from there you will have to take a moto or taxi to your hotel, condo in Sosua.
On the other hand the Metro bus will drop you off right in the center of Sosua next to La Bomba or gasstation, and from there everything is in walking distance.
Rice should be between a 100 and 150 pesos round about 5 bucks.

www.caribetours.com.do (http://www.caribetours.com.do)
www.metroserviciosturisticos.com (http://www.metroserviciosturisticos.com)
Plus the ride from the airport to the bus station. (I know there are two Caribe stations in Santiago, one on the northern edge of town and one on the southern edge. I presume the one nearer the airport is the southern?).

Damn, rice is expensive these days. No wonder my Haitian friends are hungry.

ponderosa
07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
If you are seasoned enough to drive, it is about an hour and a half drive depending on traffic in Santiago. The roughest part of the drive is getting out of Santiago (lack of good signage) and I definitely would not recommend doing this in the dark. At night many cars and motoconchos have no lights and there are chuckholes right in the middle of a nice stretch of road. I drove this route at night once and I never plan on doing it again

yayow
07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
If you are seasoned enough to drive, it is about an hour and a half drive depending on traffic in Santiago. The roughest part of the drive is getting out of Santiago (lack of good signage) and I definitely would not recommend doing this in the dark. At night many cars and motoconchos have no lights and there are chuckholes right in the middle of a nice stretch of road. I drove this route at night once and I never plan on doing it again

Or you could also take the mountain road, and it should take you about an hour more or less, but if you are not a seasoned driver in the country, I wouldn't try it. At night if you haven't driven it a few times I wouldn't recommend it as well. I have driven it a few times, including at night and at night while it was raining , very interesting to say the least. Couldn't wait to get to the other side :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl:

DominicanBilly
07-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Or you could also take the mountain road, and it should take you about an hour more or less, but if you are not a seasoned driver in the country, I wouldn't try it. At night if you haven't driven it a few times I wouldn't recommend it as well. I have driven it a few times, including at night and at night while it was raining , very interesting to say the least. Couldn't wait to get to the other side :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl:

I came back from the airport via the mountain road last Friday morning. You could not drive a mile with out slowing to a crawl because of washed out parts and land slides that have been cleared. There is no pavement on these spots. The trip took me over an hour and it less than 23 miles in length from the Santiago side to the Puerto Plata side of the mountain. I used to love taking this scenic road when coming back from shopping in Santiago.

robo-dick
07-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks in advance!

I made that journey about 6 weeks ago. When I booked my flight I had the option of Miami>POP or Miami>STI at vitually the same costs. I choose flying into STI for 2 reasons, a 1 1/2 hour layover in Miami flying into STI, versus a 4+ hour layover if I would have flown into POP, secondly, I wanted to experince flying into STI and then making my way to Sosua for the same reason you are, cheaper flights in the future, plus I thought it would be a good learning experince and beats sitting in Miami for 4+ hours. I was to arrive in STI about 1:30 pm and I had it figured that I would be in Sosua about the same time the POP flight arrived. My intentions were to take the taxi from the airport to Caribe Tours, then Caribe to Charamicos, then Charamicos to the NG. I had it figured that it should cost about 28-30 bucks getting from STI to the NG. Unfortunately, I didnt plan in a 5 hour delay at Miami, which would put me into STI after both Caribe and Metro quit running. So be aware of this and have a plan "B" if your plane arrives later in the day or early evening. Of course if this happens, the next easiest thing is to just pay 80-100 for a taxi to Sosua.
At 5 pm, still in Miami, I knew there was no way I would make it in time to catch Caribe or Metro. I made a call to a Dominican freind in Sosua which gave me the # of a Canadian living in Santiago. I offered him 40 bucks to take me to Sosua from the STI airport and he accepted, thankfully for me.
The drive from STI to Sosua is one I would never want to take again at night, especially with a regular taxi. I was thankful to arrive at the NG still alive even with a conservative driver. I thought hitting a chuck hole and bending the rim was bad enuff, but then hitting and running over a dog that came out of the darkness was worse. Eventually, I ended up at the NG @ 10pm.
I'd still fly into STI again though, but will always have a plan "b" when doing so. I'm actually looking at the SpiritAir flights that arrive in STI at 3am. This seems ideal. Leave work, head to the airport, arrive in STI at 3am, head to Caribe Tours and take the 6am bus to Sosua arriving at the NG about 7:30 ish. I'd be arriving half a day earlier then my prior flights, and for once..... I'd be up early enuff to get the free breakfast there. :)

yayow
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I came back from the airport via the mountain road last Friday morning. You could not drive a mile with out slowing to a crawl because of washed out parts and land slides that have been cleared. There is no pavement on these spots. The trip took me over an hour and it less than 23 miles in length from the Santiago side to the Puerto Plata side of the mountain. I used to love taking this scenic road when coming back from shopping in Santiago.

Yeah I haven't taken that route in awhile, it sounds like it's gotten worst instead of better. I actually enjoyed it also. Wonder why they can't get the repairs done correctly on that road instead of the stop gap procedures that they use now.

I also take the mountain road by way of Moca, which is another option, and that mountain road, is actually in very good shape, wouldn't work for Dominican Billy though, as that would make his trip to POP so much longer.