PDA

View Full Version : Are Turboprop Planes safe?

joeysterr
07-27-2009, 12:37 AM
They got some flight PR <-> DR with AA, the least. I have never been on any of them.

I don't know if I ever will, that is unless I found myself surprised in a connection(to any other destination) and then while walking the tube thing I see there's not reactors on the plane:eek: why will I do then?

My question was like who out of the multiple mongers here on isoc have ever been on turboprop plane? Where you scared?? crazy turbulence??? Sharing is caring

joeysterr
07-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Here is a few articles on turboprop plane...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/13/propplanes.safety/index.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Turboprop-Airplanes-Safe?&id=2005751

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/oct/29/theairlineindustry

http://www.fox8.com/wjw-plane-into-home-turboprops,0,3217205.story

shredder
07-27-2009, 02:25 AM
They're safer than Dominican condoms:eek:

shredder
07-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Actually, I've flown on many...once from Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas. It's probably true that you don't feel as safe because they are small and you do feel the turbulence. I don't know the safety statistics but I believe that those planes can "glide" if there is engine failure...unlike jet airliners.

Speaking of turbulence, one time I was flying in one and we were approaching the runway. It was winter time and there were really high winds so the plane was bouncing all over the place. I could look up the isle and out the cockpit window and see the landing lights approaching. Then the plane pitched like crazy and looked out my window and saw the same landing lights:eek: So now the plane must be going sideways:eek: I was holding on tight. Somehow we landed okay...

...but hey, I'm sure you'll be fine.:lol:

chicmatic
07-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I believe the flight from Memphis to Miami is on a turboprop...I can say this, I have not yet died flying on one so far. Seriously though, I've been on a lot and although it feels like being on a kite, I haven't had anything major happen.

Maretti
07-27-2009, 03:14 AM
They got some flight PR <-> DR with AA, the least. I have never been on any of them.

I don't know if I ever will, that is unless I found myself surprised in a connection(to any other destination) and then while walking the tube thing I see there's not reactors on the plane:eek: why will I do then?

My question was like who out of the multiple mongers here on isoc have ever been on turboprop plane? Where you scared?? crazy turbulence??? Sharing is caring
Last time I went to Puerto Plata, I did the SJU - POP route in one of those. There was a lot of shaking and noise going up, but once it got to the right altitude, it was ok, and the seat felt more comfortable than in the regular airplane.

Personally, I would fly on a kite. When your time is up, there's no escape.

weyland
07-27-2009, 04:35 AM
This is a rather confused thread. No-one is comparing turboprops to jets here, simply small airliners to large airliners which is a different issue.

I don't suppose any statistics exist but I would guess that, if you compare like for like in terms of age and size, turboprops are at least as safe as jets. I remember that the Viscount airliner built in my home town (and used by Capital Airlines in the US among others) was the safest plane in the world in terms of passenger/miles flown for the two decades it was in service.

It is hard to compare the safety of those old planes with modern ones because of the vast improvements in ancillary technology, navigation, runways, communications, emergency services, etc.

For my first twenty years of flying there were no commercial jets, so if I drowse off on a plane nowadays then wake up suddenly I sometimes experience a momentary anxiety that the propellors have fallen off!

yayow
07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
I have been on a few myself, Miami to Bahamas (a few times), San Jose P.R, to POP (a few times), even Laguardia to D.C. (very first time). No problems yet, and like another poster said, when your time is up it's up and not a damn thing you can do about it.

So you might as well enjoy the ride. Actually even thinking about possibly doing some sky diving while down here, haven't done it yet, would have to take the classes. But have started gathering some info. :rolleyes: ..........;):rofl: God I must have too much free time. If I ever do it I would surely post some pictures.

MrHappy
07-27-2009, 07:52 AM
I was on a flight once from Aguadilla to Santiago on a small 8 passenger twin engine plane.

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the rear entrance door blew open, the force of which tore it from it's hinges. The only thing that kept it from being lost was the steel support cables that were used as handrails when the door was lowered.

I thought that door was going to take the tail off the plane, the way it was banging around.

I ended up being used as a grappling hook. Two guys held me by the legs while I hung my body out of the plane so I could grab the door.

After what seemed like forever, I managed to wrestle it in, and was able to more or less hold it more or less in place while the pilot made an emergency landing, with firetrucks and the whole nine yards.

I was the hero!! My better half had her camera out the whole time, and frantically took shot after shot of the whole nightmare. (we discovered later there was no film in the camera)

Since this was a Dominican airline, once it was determined there was no structural damage, the pilot put the door into place, secured it with some bars, and finally, after giving it 3 or 4 hard kicks, announced that it would be ok, and off we went.

What really shook me was when we flew across the north coast. As we got close to Santiago, the pilot did a left turn, to fly over the mountains and into Santiago(this was the old airport). He flew between two peaks, and we were so low, I could see the teeth of the people standing on the ground. Some folks were actually running for cover! I looked forward at the pilot, and he was flying with one hand, and holding a map in the other. Priceless.

For many years, I was deathly afraid of flying. After that experience, it never bothered me to fly again.

And, as an aside, I worked for a few months in an aircraft manufacturing company that later went bankrupt. But during the time I was there, I learned just how strong an aircraft frame really is. Once you see static structural testing done on surface components, you understand how much of a beating they'll take.

weyland
07-27-2009, 08:33 AM
I ended up being used as a grappling hook. Two guys held me by the legs while I hung my body out of the plane so I could grab the door.

After what seemed like forever, I managed to wrestle it in, and was able to more or less hold it more or less in place while the pilot made an emergency landing, with firetrucks and the whole nine yards.

I hope they offered you a complimentary drink by way of a thank you. (Local drinks only, naturally).

MrHappy
07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
I hope they offered you a complimentary drink by way of a thank you. (Local drinks only, naturally).

I guess you missed the part where I said "Since this was a DOMINICAN airline"

I'm surprised they didn't try to charge me more for the temporary air conditioning...

givengo440
07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I actually took that AA flight on my first trip to SDQ and besides my knees hitting the seat in front of me and feeling like a packed sardine I had no problem with the flight. It feels a whole lot different I am not going to lie about that but hay if you going down you going down anyways so what the hell do you care?

Beads
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I made the selection of yes Huge problems because my correct response was not on your list. During college I had a lot of friends getting pilots licenses. They would often be able to take people on their flights so I went from Florida to the Bahamas twice. Being on that small of a plane made me very uneasy. I would trust a commercial airline a lot more because of the size of the plane and the experience of the crew. Those smaller planes seem to have more problems and you can feel the turbulence a lot more. After 2 trips I decided this was not for me.

joeysterr
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I was on a flight once from Aguadilla to Santiago on a small 8 passenger twin engine plane.

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the rear entrance door blew open, the force of which tore it from it's hinges. The only thing that kept it from being lost was the steel support cables that were used as handrails when the door was lowered.

I thought that door was going to take the tail off the plane, the way it was banging around.

I was the hero!! My better half had her camera out the whole time, and frantically took shot after shot of the whole nightmare. (we discovered later there was no film in the camera)

Since this was a Dominican airline, once it was determined there was no structural damage, the pilot put the door into place, secured it with some bars, and finally, after giving it 3 or 4 hard kicks, announced that it would be ok, and off we went.

What really shook me was when we flew across the north coast. As we got close to Santiago, the pilot did a left turn, to fly over the mountains and into Santiago(this was the old airport). He flew between two peaks, and we were so low, I could see the teeth of the people standing on the ground. Some folks were actually running for cover! I looked forward at the pilot, and he was flying with one hand, and holding a map in the other. Priceless.

For many years, I was deathly afraid of flying. After that experience, it never bothered me to fly again.

And, as an aside, I worked for a few months in an aircraft manufacturing company that later went bankrupt. But during the time I was there, I learned just how strong an aircraft frame really is. Once you see static structural testing done on surface components, you understand how much of a beating they'll take.

Mr.Happy after all that you choose the "I have, NO problems" answer. Lmao!!

yayow
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Mr.Happy after all that you choose the "I have, NO problems" answer. Lmao!!

You have to remember Joey that Mr. Happy, has a strange sense of humor, especially if he has had some of that Mr. Happy juice:p:rofl:.

It helps keep him happy:eek:;)

Jay_t
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I used to fly commercial on them a couple of times per week.
No problems with them , though they are noisier than a jet. The landing tends to be very gentle but from 1k feet down they can be bounced around a little :wink:

Anything smaller than a large commercial prop forget about it - too many numbnuts think they know it all get a licence and then fly themselves and their friends/family into the side of a hill.

shredder
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
MrHappy, That is an amazing story.

eastcoastallstar
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
They must have some good acid in DR.

Kevy
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I have flown on Fokker 50 and Dash 8 and never had a problem. The flights were ok with me.

yayow
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
None of us work for TSA on NTSB, but having said that, you have received some opinions as far as the people who have used them while traveling (over whelmingly most had no problems), I believe the bottom line is if they weren't ultimately safe, they wouldn't allow them to fly.

joeysterr
07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
After reading the articles, not sure if anybody else did, if anybody give a...I was perplex. I don't have to take any turboprop I was just shooting the Breeze in the DR - Airlines section but thought I could get some opinions from actual travelers.

None of us work for TSA on NTSB, but having said that, you have received some opinions as far as the people who have used them while traveling, I believe the bottom line is if they weren't ultimately safe, they wouldn't allow them to fly.

And that's what I needed. Thanks group.

Still ain't gonna take them tho:p:rofl:

Jimmydr
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I flew them and never had any problems.

3somefan
07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
If anyone has read my first trip report from Feb 2006, they heard the story about my one and only experience on a turbo-prop!!! :eek: It was a live changing event for me and I would never ever go on one again. That was possibly the scariest 45 minutes in my entire life and I honestly though we were all going to die!! Never again.

MrHappy
07-28-2009, 07:33 AM
They must have some good acid in DR.

Nope, true story. Still got lots of witnesses around.

I guess you ain't got a clue about what it was like flying on Dominican airplanes in the seventies...

greydread
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
SAP commuter flight between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo is not to be missed. It's an 18 passenger turboprop that flies along the Southern coastline at 2,000'.

Fucking bee-oo-tee-full!

BlueDevil
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I love flying in a turbo-prop aircraft.

eldorob
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
There as safe as anything else - it depends on the maintenance.

Marco once told me "I would never let a Dominican work on anything mechanical that I own, Never Ever" (dishwasher, mower, car, etc)

But think about it, when's the last time your travel agent told you about a Dominican Turboprop taking a nose dive?:rolleyes: See, it must be safe.

weyland
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Marco once told me "I would never let a Dominican work on anything mechanical that I own, Never Ever" (dishwasher, mower, car, etc).
Because they will wreck anything that is nice or new within seconds.

But the other side of the coin is that they have a genius for patching up ancient things (cars, TVs, etc) for a few pesos using any materials to hand and keeping them operating for decades after we would have scrapped them.

I guess the moral of that is, if you are flying Dominican, choose the most ancient biplane you can find.

The Legend
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
That's fucking funny .

MrHappy
07-29-2009, 07:34 AM
What's Billy's favorite saying? A Dominican can break an anvil?

And it's true!!!!!

I am going through an experience right now with one. A new mechanic I'm trying. I've got an old forklift with a problem with the bushings where the tower pivots on the axles.

I asked this guy to take a look, and give me a quote to fix it. Jumped in my truck to go into town to pick up some stuff.

This is what I found when I came back......

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/63414a7034b86ae07.jpg
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/63414a7034b873e88.jpg

weyland
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
This is what I found when I came back......

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/63414a7034b86ae07.jpg)
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/63414a7034b873e88.jpg)

I can't see what you found, but whatever it was it has shrunk a lot.

ElPlomero
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I used to fly commercial on them a couple of times per week.
No problems with them , though they are noisier than a jet. The landing tends to be very gentle but from 1k feet down they can be bounced around a little :wink:

Anything smaller than a large commercial prop forget about it - too many numbnuts think they know it all get a licence and then fly themselves and their friends/family into the side of a hill.

Very few numbnuts can afford a turboprop and except for a few exceptions (I would imagine) there's a fair amount of oversight over those who can.

All airplanes are pricey nowadays, but turboprops are just a little short of having a jet.

Even smaller ones like Beech King Air's are millions to buy.

snowtreader
08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Geez, am I the only one on this site that remembers when turboprops where unpressurized? They would give you chewing gum at take off and a blanket when the cold mist/vapor started rising from the floor.

mikelodge
08-06-2009, 06:00 PM

They are common here in the Midwest in and out of Canada for fishing trips and as someone mentioned they can glide. I would rather go down in one than a jet in daylight because most of those guys that fly them can put them down on a country road. They do ride rougher but some of them are close to the speed of jets. Go for it.

JoeDR
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Guys, turbo prop planes are as good as the company that maintains them, like any aircraft. I have flown all over the Caribbean on dash 8 turbo props made by De Havilland Canada (DHC-8-311B Dash 8) on LIAT, here's their fleet.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/LIAT

There's lots of other equipment flying in the Caribbean, island to island. In the leeward islands you can hop for about $50 to $80 per hop, depending on where you are going. I have also chartered a private plane to take the same hop on occasion, for about $600, so its good value.

fred757
08-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Guys, turbo prop planes are as good as the company that maintains them, like any aircraft. I have flown all over the Caribbean on dash 8 turbo props made by De Havilland Canada (DHC-8-311B Dash 8) on LIAT, here's their fleet.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/LIAT

There's lots of other equipment flying in the Caribbean, island to island. In the leeward islands you can hop for about $50 to $80 per hop, depending on where you are going. I have also chartered a private plane to take the same hop on occasion, for about $600, so its good value.

Dash-8's are fine but i read alot about Czech Let 410's crashing in south america and africa. solid eastern block plane that get flown in the wrong conditions or poorly maintained?
fred757:confused:

JoeDR
08-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Dash-8's are fine but i read alot about Czech Let 410's crashing in south america and africa. solid eastern block plane that get flown in the wrong conditions or poorly maintained?
fred757:confused:

Holy crap, i see what you mean. I just checked the airline crash database, something like 10 crashes in the last 4 1/2 years. Africa (about 4 in the congo alone), Hungary, Peru, Brazil, a couple in Columbia..astounding record.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/database.htm

I am not familiar with the Let equipment, but thanks for the info. I've flown lots of regional flights in small aircraft, and in my opinion, weather factors in lot of crashes and of course pilot error is a big factor also. Take that recent crash in feb. in buffalo for instance, of a Canadian made, turbo prop. After reading the reports, one must conclude that the pilot did not follow proceedure, put the flaps down in the wrong sequence at the wrong time, caused a stall and then did not successfully rescue the aircraft through a stall. Not only that, the co-pilot might have caught the flaps error, but did not express it (lack of experience). She just seemed surprised. Bad things happened very quick at low altitude, and instantly everybody was history. Pilot's last words, 'We're down'

I've done a fair bit of flying on small commuter aircraft, bush planes, and pontoon craft too, and thankfully always without incident. My favourite is the Beaver... and that's no joke! :)

fred757
08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Holy crap, i see what you mean. I just checked the airline crash database, something like 10 crashes in the last 4 1/2 years. Africa (about 4 in the congo alone), Hungary, Peru, Brazil, a couple in Columbia..astounding record.

I am not familiar with the Let equipment, but thanks for the info. I've flown lots of regional flights in small aircraft, and in my opinion, weather factors in lot of crashes and of course pilot error is a big factor also. Take that recent crash in feb. in buffalo for instance, of a Canadian made, turbo prop. After reading the reports, one must conclude that the pilot did not follow proceedure, put the flaps down in the wrong sequence at the wrong time, caused a stall and then did not successfully rescue the aircraft through a stall. Not only that, the co-pilot might have caught the flaps error, but did not express it (lack of experience). She just seemed surprised. Bad things happened very quick at low altitude, and instantly everybody was history. Pilot's last words, 'We're down'

I've done a fair bit of flying on small commuter aircraft, bush planes, and pontoon craft too, and thankfully always without incident. My favourite is the Beaver... and that's no joke! :)

Patron jim
There was a Let 410 that crashed off of San Andres a few years back. it was the inter-island connection to Provencia(sic) isle.
A lot of these planes were bought in the early 90's for 50k-60k from the eastern block..
instant cheesy/tacky airline operation could be started for little money.
Maintenance doesn't just happen has to be planned and completed which doesn't happen in some areas of the world.

fred757

MrHappy
08-27-2009, 06:53 AM

Probably the last thing these guys said too.......

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/63414a96656d7ff26.jpg

sosuaman
08-29-2009, 11:01 AM
flown in them many times.. never had a problem .. still alive!
If it's your time it doesn't matter what you are doing or how your doing it
your time is your time..