PDA

View Full Version : sosua cell phone

rushdog34
08-17-2009, 12:43 PM
i have searched for exact info on cell phones in dr and cant place an exact thread... my trip is coming up and i cant get my hands on an unlocked phone in time.. how much is too much for a cell phone with sim card at orange?? thanks in advance

yayow
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
i have searched for exact info on cell phones in dr and cant place an exact thread... my trip is coming up and i cant get my hands on an unlocked phone in time.. how much is too much for a cell phone with sim card at orange?? thanks in advance

Depends on what area you are in, but here down in Santo Domingo, you can get on el conde, at a number of stores a phone with 100rd credit for about 500rd or maybe even a little less. Comes to a little less than $15.00 US. If you can't come down with a phone don't sweat it. They are cheap, and everywhere.

Mr. Smooth
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
When I was in Santiago last March, I went to an Orange shop just down the street from the Aloha Sol Hotel where I was staying. I paid just under 600 pesos for my phone. Was always told that Orange was better than Claro and most all the chicas I beleive use Orange. Check the Orange shop near Banco Popular (just down same side of the street). A 3 min. walk from NG. I'm sure you can find a reasonably priced phone there. Then your squared away for future trips.

trEPP33
08-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I purchased a cell phone in Sosua back in June for less than $25 with 100 minutes. The carrier is orange. Use it every time I go.

Festy
08-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I was just in Sosua and had to get a new sim card for my phone from January. 100 pesos at the Orange agency got me the new card, new phone number and 12 minutes of talk time. That is about $2.80. cheap phones are also available for 500-700 pesos ($15-20). Worked great to help chicas contact and meet up.

mho
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
When I got in last Wednesday, my number from May was still good and so were my minutes:biggrin:.

I do not know how many minutes I have left but on this trip alone I have used almost 2 hours with about 90 minutes of it to the States:iconTU:

rushdog34
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
i learned my lesson the hard way... so im coming with an unlocked phone and getting a sim card.. if not then im buying a phone either way.. im getting a dr number my blackberry shall be turned off for the whole trip

JD426
09-29-2009, 01:00 PM
If you have Verizon service you dont even need a second phone, chances are you have a dual NAM fon. You can therefore get a local 809 # for about 300 pesos + the minues(through CLARO) & still keep your US # on the same phone.
I hear it USED to be free for the programming but now its 300 pesos. Make sure you switch nams before they do the programming . I didnt do it cause I was just too lazy, but I know for a fact that it works flawlessly .
When you get back to the US , switch NAM back & do a soft reset by taking the bat out for 30 sec , and then the dial *228 , opt #1 & then opt #2, to reset the phone properly as it will still be looking for the DR service, or call cust svce & they can guide you right through it. But no second phone needed with Dual Nam fon in the DR.

Beads
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont know why people worry about getting cellphones so much. If your doing frequent trips and want a more expensive cellphone then by all means get an unlocked GSM phone in the states. Its definitely much cheaper. If you don't care that much and dont need all the bells and whistles you can always walk into the Orange store and buy a cheap cellphone for under $30. No hassles about if the phone is unlocked and being that its cheap its less of a target for thieves.

weyland
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
I dont know why people worry about getting cellphones so much. If your doing frequent trips and want a more expensive cellphone then by all means get an unlocked GSM phone in the states. Its definitely much cheaper. If you don't care that much and dont need all the bells and whistles you can always walk into the Orange store and buy a cheap cellphone for under $30. No hassles about if the phone is unlocked and being that its cheap its less of a target for thieves.
Totally agree. I already have an Orange phone but have just bought a brand new Claro phone for 400 pesos (about US$11) with some minutes included to start me off. (From a store, not on the street). It works fine. Why walk around with something more valuable to worry about? This does all you will need on holiday.

I am not sure I agree about Orange being best and most chicas having Orange. It doesn't seem very popular in Puerto Plata and has a lot of downtime. Which is why I have bought Claro as well. Maybe it depends on which town you are in?

Trib
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
When I got in last Wednesday, my number from May was still good and so were my minutes:biggrin:.

I do not know how many minutes I have left but on this trip alone I have used almost 2 hours with about 90 minutes of it to the States:iconTU:

How much did you spend? If I can get a cheap DR phone that can call that much to the US it would be awesome

Passport Playa
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Members of the Brotherhood:

Would someone who is already in Chicaland or when soon arrive in Chicaland provide a cost comparison sheet for the cheapest phone and minutes that both Claro and Orange offer? I already have Claro phone that I use every October. However, if I am going to get a better deal (cost per minute) from Orange, I will gladly give me Claro away.

Tx,

The Mac Man

rushdog34
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
i wouldnt suggest going out and getting a new unlocked phone just for the trip... the unlocked phone i have is an old piece of crap thats in the bottom of the drawer for times when i loose or cant find my blackberry so if i loose it in the dr i could care less

mikelodge
09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
If you have Verizon service you dont even need a second phone, chances are you have a dual NAM fon. You can therefore get a local 809 # for about 300 pesos + the minues(through CLARO) & still keep your US # on the same phone.
I hear it USED to be free for the programming but now its 300 pesos. Make sure you switch nams before they do the programming . I didnt do it cause I was just too lazy, but I know for a fact that it works flawlessly .
When you get back to the US , switch NAM back & do a soft reset by taking the bat out for 30 sec , and then the dial *228 , opt #1 & then opt #2, to reset the phone properly as it will still be looking for the DR service, or call cust svce & they can guide you right through it. But no second phone needed with Dual Nam fon in the DR.

I agree with you JD it can be done when the CDMA is the same but I want a cheap phone like Weyland said if it is stolen so what. I don't want my personal info on my phone lost or stolen and used or anything to do with it getting Sticky fingers on it. Goin Orange

bklyndrguy
09-29-2009, 06:27 PM
just came here today i got a claro phone with 100rd for 300rd

WickedWillie
09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Members of the Brotherhood:

Would someone who is already in Chicaland or when soon arrive in Chicaland provide a cost comparison sheet for the cheapest phone and minutes that both Claro and Orange offer? I already have Claro phone that I use every October. However, if I am going to get a better deal (cost per minute) from Orange, I will gladly give me Claro away.

Tx,

The Mac Man

As already pointed out, both providers can sell you a cheap phone for around US$20 with some minutes.

Cost for minutes if you buy phonecards or top-up are roughly the same between both.

BTW you get about 10% more time if you buy electronic minutes direct from the main stores rather than buying phonecards.

The service provided with dropped calls, lost calls, messaging etc is a constant pain the in the ass, but it is what it is.

I've had Orange for a few years now and don't believe Claro offer anything that would make me change.

sicpup71
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
just came here today i got a claro phone with 100rd for 300rd

got from claro for 500rd with i think 200rd of time.
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/594849f5ee52dc82a.jpg

Trib
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
can you call the US with the cheap DR phones?

sicpup71
09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
can you call the US with the cheap DR phones?

yep i think it like 8rd/per min.

JD426
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
U can even call Thailand, but it eats up the credits .

Trib
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
yep i think it like 8rd/per min.

THANK YOU!!!!

SeaWeed
09-30-2009, 10:16 AM
I was checking out brooklyguys 300RD phone yesterday and that's all I would ever need and the price is right......and it's suppose to be easy to change from Spanish to English.....cheaper than buying an unlocked phone stateside or trying to use your foreign cellie in the DR which is a big no no.......