PDA

View Full Version : Buffets or All u can Eats in Sosua or POP

mikelodge
08-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I have read enough, everything posted but as we say it changes. Any buffets or all u can eat nights current info? Reviews of Barcelo which I agree are usually only unhappy people but they say at AI's that locals (Dom's) come on the weekend and push and shove and eat like at a troff (sp) and low quality. I have friends coming down not interested in the hobby and at $89 bucks a night for one with all booze and meals included want to graze. Any imput would appreciated. Any buffets in POP, pizza, chicken, whatever???

brovo35
08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
I believe Baileys in Sosua has a Dominican fare lunch buffet. I do not know if it is all you can eat or just a buffet based on offering variety, as I have never tried it.I do like Baileys food though so I am sure it probably good.

I have never been big on all you can eat places at home or abroad. As others have stated in recent threads about portions, which is probably what prompted you to start this thread, I haven't run into the gargantuan portions that I do here in the states although I am sure they exist.

I don't eat a ton when it's hot and humid like that anyway. I always start with a good breakfast for a base and grab something before going out that night.

natmatt
08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
La Roca has an all-you-can-eat bbq buffet on thurs or fri night, if I am not mistaken. Although the food is a tad expensive there, they have excellent service and the food is always good.

Beads
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
In the case of all you can eat places you typically get what you pay for. If you want low quality mass prepared meals surely you will find it in the AIs. There are a few in Sosua and POP. I cant remember the name of the place in Sosua that one of you guys stays at quite frequently so hopefully he will chime in.

There are also some places that do have larger portions and I am sure you will find enough food to fill up on.

If you like fish for instance go to Maimon and fill up on fish in one of the roadside restaurants. The food is cheap enough to be able to get a big meal at a decent price.

mikelodge
08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
In the case of all you can eat places you typically get what you pay for. If you want low quality mass prepared meals surely you will find it in the AIs. There are a few in Sosua and POP. I cant remember the name of the place in Sosua that one of you guys stays at quite frequently so hopefully he will chime in.

There are also some places that do have larger portions and I am sure you will find enough food to fill up on.

If you like fish for instance go to Maimon and fill up on fish in one of the roadside restaurants. The food is cheap enough to be able to get a big meal at a decent price.

A guy that works at Riu told us about that in June but I didn't try it because I figured he might be just promoting a friend. Thanks for the tip I will drive over there and try it. Since I love seafood and fish and sometimes I even love the smell of fresh fish in the morning.
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414a9bf7b17ec26.jpg (javascript:void(0))

mikelodge
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
A guy that works at Riu told us about that in June but I didn't try it because I figured he might be just promoting a friend. Thanks for the tip I will drive over there and try it. Since I love seafood and fish and sometimes I even love the smell of fresh fish in the morning.
Click to see pic (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

I figured out how to put in a picture but how to enlarge it is another story. Anybody know?

Hemp
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
i wouldnt worry to much about food down there...food can be found cheap and good just about anywhere there.

PapiQueRico
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
The best all you can eat buffet in Sosua is Clasicos!!

mikelodge
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
The best all you can eat buffet in Sosua is Clasicos!!

Sounds like a Sushi Bar to me.

snoozer
09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
La Roca has an all-you-can-eat bbq buffet on thurs or fri night, if I am not mistaken. Although the food is a tad expensive there, they have excellent service and the food is always good.

The sign says it is every Friday night, I believe the cost is RD$ 475 ... all you can eat. I have never tried it so have no opinion wether it is worth it or not.

snoozer
09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I believe Baileys in Sosua has a Dominican fare lunch buffet. I do not know if it is all you can eat or just a buffet based on offering variety, as I have never tried it.I do like Baileys food though so I am sure it probably good.

I have never been big on all you can eat places at home or abroad. As others have stated in recent threads about portions, which is probably what prompted you to start this thread, I haven't run into the gargantuan portions that I do here in the states although I am sure they exist.

I don't eat a ton when it's hot and humid like that anyway. I always start with a good breakfast for a base and grab something before going out that night.

The lunch time buffet at Baileys is not all you can eat. You pay by the item, usually rice with chicken or pork with a side salad will cost about RD$ 125 plus the cost of a drink. My novia told me that the quality has gone down in the last few months but it is still very popular with the locals between noon and one.

husl2001
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
The sign says it is every Friday night, I believe the cost is RD$ 475 ... all you can eat. I have never tried it so have no opinion wether it is worth it or not.

Tried it about two years ago. Back then, it was just ok. Ribs were average in taste, but a bit small. Veggies and salad were good, though, and I liked the grilled bread. Overall, I would have rather taken a double order of ribs from Rocky's to the beach.

Oh, and btw La Roca is for sale for you budding entrepreneurs....

thunderstar
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
It’s a little way from where you are interested in – but Tropic Co Co used to do an all you can eat.
Its on the way to Cab on the left about 2 mins before you get to the centre of town.
Weyland will know more as hes been a few times if your interested!

yayow
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I also find large portions on Sundays on the beach, not the stands that are numbered and always there, but the locals that set up their bbq's etc. just on sundays in the sand and feed the locals. I normally would get a very large fish, rice and salad and never could finish it.

mikelodge
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
The lunch time buffet at Baileys is not all you can eat. You pay by the item, usually rice with chicken or pork with a side salad will cost about RD$ 125 plus the cost of a drink. My novia told me that the quality has gone down in the last few months but it is still very popular with the locals between noon and one.

Good price for under $4 and worth a look

mikelodge
09-01-2009, 06:45 PM
It’s a little way from where you are interested in – but Tropic Co Co used to do an all you can eat.
Its on the way to Cab on the left about 2 mins before you get to the centre of town.

I drive so I have no problem going a few miles to eat like Beads said about Maimon. I usually like to check out spots for seafood the locals like to go to even if I am the only gringo. I have also found some of the food stalls in the markets the travel guides all say will get you deathly ill are many times great. If I see a lot of people eating there I like to at least look and if it is cooked (hot) I will try it.

mikelodge
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM

I looked Baileys lunch that was prepared cafeteria style where they put on what you want on a plate and you pay a cashier at the end. There was Lasagna, chicken, fish fried only, several stir fry type things and assorted other items. I went with the grilled fish off the regular menu in the regular side of the restaurant to the let for 320RD which was a nice fillet of sea bass with choice of side (one of the few places with a baked potatoe). I don't know the price of the cafeteria style. It is a good place but I heard many avoid it because they are one of the few to add the 16% tax in addition.

mikelodge
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

La Roca is actually now 375RD for the Friday night buffet and is down past Happy Bar just up from Beach Way. I wasn't able to make it there that night so I don't know about the quality but I heard it was ok. :smile:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414af086c25ec89.jpg (javascript:void(0))

wjscuba
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Were would one find a good steak? Also some seafood?

JD426
11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
for Steak , El Toro was really good.
Seafood, what kind of seafood ? For whole fried fish I like Andres on the beach and the seafood platter with choice of sause is out of this world .
seems theres lots of seafood choices though.
This is not buffet all u can eat though, would love to know if there is one though.
Not sure if I would trust an all u can eat seafood in the DR anyway , as good seafood should always be prepared FRESH.

SeaWeed
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
more pics of La Roca with food prices.......luv to try dat lunch special there for 90 pesos

weyland
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
It’s a little way from where you are interested in – but Tropicoco used to do an all you can eat.
Its on the way to Cabarete on the left about 2 mins before you get to the centre of town.
Weyland will know more as he has been a few times, if your interested!

As our friend with the unfriendly font writes, I have been to the all-you-can-eat buffet at Tropicoco three times and it was very good each time. It is not particularly cheap (500 for the food, without drinks, if I remember correctly) but there is a great variety of good things to eat, both Dominican and International dishes, including a choice of desserts and cheese and plenty of it unless you arrive after 9.00pm when some things run out.

But it only operates on Saturdays. Other days the normal a la carte menu applies.

mikelodge
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM

I don't think you go to a island down there for a good steak but you can find one in Puerto Plata. I can get you the name of the place we ate if you are really into it. I was with locals and not driving on my first night there last week so I would have to ask. I agree El Toro which was not far from my hotel in Sosua was decent.

mikelodge
11-03-2009, 09:11 PM
for Steak , El Toro was really good.
Seafood, what kind of seafood ? For whole fried fish I like Andres on the beach and the seafood platter with choice of sause is out of this world .
seems theres lots of seafood choices though.
This is not buffet all u can eat though, would love to know if there is one though.
Not sure if I would trust an all u can eat seafood in the DR anyway , as good seafood should always be prepared FRESH.

Hey JD, I have to agree Seafood was no problem. I was satisfied with both the quality and quantity and price at Baileys. They do not have large number of choices with the fish being sea bass (which I like) in many preparations and of course shrimp. I would have tried the Atlantic Blue Lobster House but it was always closed for lunch and even at about 8pm so if they do open I don't know the when the hell they open. If it is that late this guy is past looking for that type of seafood.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414af0e254dd382.jpg (javascript:void(0))

Jimbo44
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
La Roca is actually now 375RD for the Friday night buffet and is down past Happy Bar just up from Beach Way. I wasn't able to make it there that night so I don't know about the quality but I heard it was ok. :smile:

Click to see pic (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

The food here is good, however, your total tab with a drink or 2 and tip and tax added is over 600 pesos.....

mikelodge
11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
The food here is good, however, your total tab with a drink or 2 and tip and tax added is over 600 pesos.....

Good Point Jimbo but like Jimmy said about tipping "I leave those bad American Habits at home". I agree some add the 16% which if you want to pig out puts it at 435 or $12 without drinks unless I am unaware that they are even adding a mandatory tip unlike Baileys. I know I got hit with this in Santiago 16 or 17 plus 10% more and personally I find it insulting and never advise a client to do it. Tax, fine in some situations but the propina added automatically F that if you want repeat business. Most of us will give a nice tip anyway with good service and especially will a couple of those babes at Baileys at the bar which I consider to be a well run joint. As many mentioned the heat and humidity does cut ones appetite and my desire to pig out turned into more meals at shorter intervals.
Getting off track sorry.

gdogg
11-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Morua Mai has a great seafood platter. Very filling. I avoided it when they raised the price to over 700 pesos, but they came to their senses and brought it back down to around 400.

MrHappy
11-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Good Point Jimbo but like Jimmy said about tipping "I leave those bad American Habits at home". I agree some add the 16% which if you want to pig out puts it at 435 or $12 without drinks unless I am unaware that they are even adding a mandatory tip unlike Baileys. I know I got hit with this in Santiago 16 or 17 plus 10% more and personally I find it insulting and never advise a client to do it. Tax fine in some situations but the propina F that if you want repeat business. Most of us will give it anyway with good service and especially will a couple of those bades at Baileys at the bar which I consider to be a well run joint and I know a little bit about this. As many mentioned the heat and humidity does cut ones appetite and my desire to pig out turned into more meals at shorter intervals.
Getting off track sorry.

Just in case you missed it in previous posts, the 10% service charge and the 16% ITBS charge is required by law, and businesses are SUPPOSED to
keep track of each.

It's not something that most places do because they want to.

mikelodge
11-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Just in case you missed it in previous posts, the 10% service charge and the 16% ITBS charge is required by law, and businesses are SUPPOSED to
keep track of each.

It's not something that most places do because they want to.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have phrased it better. At Century Plaza the ticket clearly breaks that down and as many of you know Baileys adds the 16% but not the 10% which is why when you see the 85 peso Presidente on the menu you wonder why you get no change for your 100 peso bill.

wjscuba
11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Thank you guys. I will report back next week on my search for good food.

SeaWeed
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Morua Mai has a great seafood platter. Very filling. I avoided it when they raised the price to over 700 pesos, but they came to their senses and brought it back down to around 400.

where is Morua Mai..........mi luv seafood

KoKi9290
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM

I really like the Tropicoco buffet but it is only on Saturday nights. They have fish, chicken, beef, pasta, salads, bread, potato dishes, veggies and a great desert table.

mikelodge
11-04-2009, 09:37 PM
where is Morua Mai..........mi luv seafood

It is on Pedro just off the water but is or was for sale for 1.6M if you are interested let me know I will get you a deal. Excellent food I think they are German or for sure speak German. Me LIKE