PDA

View Full Version : I find this incomprehensible!!! Air Tran

Gutter Meat
09-11-2009, 04:05 AM
The Florida Keys resort town of Key West will become AirTran Airway's newest destination.

The carrier will fly Boeing 737-700 jets on the route!!!

Despite the Key West Airport's relatively short runway, AirTran will be able to fly its full-size 737s into the airport by keeping the weight of its flights in check. Healy tells Today in the Sky that the airline has run proving flights into the Key West airport to make sure the route is feasible. He says that "from a runway configuration perspective, it's shorter than normal – but not so short that it’s a concern." The airline also notes that Key West is approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for 737 operations.

Are they for real????

For those of you that live in the NYC area and have flown out of LGA (7000x150 ft runway) and HPN at westchester county (6548x150 ft runway) these are considered relatively short runways for major airlines.

Air tran wants to put their 737-700 into Key West airport with a 4801x100 foot runway!!! This is short, very short!!! You won't catch me on this route with Air Tran!! They are gonna keep the weight of its flights in check???? ( basically flying with minimal fuel capacity).

Any aviation buffs out there please I'd like to hear what you think of this.

I'm a low time private pilot that flies out of Teteboro N.J. so I found this interesting.

Gutter Meat
09-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Shit I just thought of somthing !! What is the runway at POP was only 4801 feet (its really 10,000 ft)?? I guess i'd have to take my chances!!!

Gutter Meat
09-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Short Runways Plague Brazil’s Busiest Airport

Landing on the runway in Sao Paulo is like landing on an aircraft carrier, say pilots familiar with Brazil’s busiest airport.

Long criticized as too short for modern jets, the 6,365-foot landing strip at Congonhas airport leaped into the headlines again yesterday when an Airbus 320 skidded in wet weather, crashed into a gas station and adjacent building, and exploded.

Pilots detest the 7,000-foot runway at New York’s LaGuardia, which they say is too short for wet-weather landings. Although it is 700 feet longer than the runway in Sao Paulo, the LaGuardia runway encounters more bad weather, including snowy, icy, or rainy conditions.

lonelyguy128
09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Have you ever flown into Midway in Chicago? A Southwest 737 skidded off the 6500 foot runway in a snowstorm a few years ago. Midway is surrounded by city streets and houses, with no buffer.

So what happens in Key West if a plane overshoots the runway, any buffer, or should people carry on their snorkeling gear?

mikelodge
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Have you ever flown into Midway in Chicago? A Southwest 737 skidded off the 6500 foot runway in a snowstorm a few years ago. Midway is surrounded by city streets and houses, with no buffer.

So what happens in Key West if a plane overshoots the runway, any buffer, or should people carry on their snorkeling gear?

I would rather skid off the runway in Key West there are mangrove swamps just off the runway that would be a minor delay compared to hitting anything in Chicago. Maybe AirTran should get a POP route with benefits with only 50 seats for passengers attached to 50 seats for HOES face to face while buckled in for a hummers and they could forget the coffee the HOES could offer a better grind.

butlert
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Im a proffesional pilot and I can tell you that anything under 6,000 is considered challenging. Most pilots are going to avoid this route like the plague.