PDA

View Full Version : AIRPORT ADVICE

polbian
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I am planning to go to Sousa for the first time and i will be staying at NG. What airport should I fly into?
I can fly into SDQ for $334 or to POP for $ 465. Thus, i am thinking about SDQ because its cheaper but how far is it from Sousa and how much will a cab cost me?
ANY advise will help.....

SrSuerte
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
How many days are you staying and what time is your flight out? That would make a difference with my decisions.

SeaWeed
09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
mi would fly into POP........taxi would be outrageous......think it's like $250 for a taxi from SDQ to Sosua........maybe do a transfer for a fifth of that but that is a haul to Sosua.......pay the money to fly into POP.......ten minutes to Sosua.......versus hours from SDQ.....it's suppose to be a vacation afterall........

mikelodge
09-15-2009, 11:15 PM
I am planning to go to Sousa for the first time and i will be staying at NG. What airport should I fly into?
I can fly into SDQ for $334 or to POP for $ 465. Thus, i am thinking about SDQ because its cheaper but how far is it from Sousa and how much will a cab cost me?
ANY advise will help.....

I thought about this cab thing last spring and much has been written about buses being alot cheaper but I don't normally roll that way either. I have found many more flight options from where I am to SDQ and personally think the ride would be fun with a few cold Presidente stops at C-Stores. Others have said it is going to be over a hundred. You could find a semi pro for less if you avoid the taxi's right at the airport and go into town then get a local one cheap. In Puerto Vallarta Mexico we walk over a little foot bridge across the Blvd (road) and either hail a cab to the condo or get picked up there to avoid airport congestion. Traffic can suck.

Citynights
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I thought about this cab thing last spring and much has been written about buses being alot cheaper but I don't normally roll that way either. I have found many more flight options from where I am to SDQ and personally think the ride would be fun with a few cold Presidente stops at C-Stores. Others have said it is going to be over a hundred. You could find a semi pro for less if you avoid the taxi's right at the airport and go into town then get a local one cheap. In Puerto Vallarta Mexico we walk over a little foot bridge across the Blvd (road) and either hail a cab to the condo or get picked up there to avoid airport congestion. Traffic can suck.

I am flying into punta cana at xmas time and I was looking at how to get to POP too ...and then onto sousa...

google.... domestic flights in dominican republic.....

click on getting around dominican republic website...

click on getting around....buses...

you can take a air conditioned bus for $6 US... the bus shedules are there too...
just one way to see the country on the cheap...
metro buses are the higher end buses...

maybe this can be added to ISOC website...also gives prices for inland flights etc.... go to www.colonialtours.com.do (http://www.colonialtours.com.do)
punt cana to pop $199....

hope this helps....

DominicanBilly
09-16-2009, 01:49 AM
As the British used to say "penny wise and pound foolish".

Look on a map and figure out how big this island is. Would you fly in to Detroit for a vacation in Buffalo because you saved $120.00us to stay for a 4 day vacation. Punta Cana would be like flying in to Chicago to vacation in Buffalo. Santo Domingo to Sosua is a 1 taxi and 1 Metro bus ride costing $30.00 and taking up to 6 hours. Punta Cana to Sosua is a 9 to 10 hour trip by taxi and costing a fortune. By bus a lot cheaper but many hours longer.

Get a map out fellows.

yayow
09-16-2009, 04:13 AM
I agree with Dominican Billy,

You sent me a PM with the same question, so for others who may be interested I copied my response to you:

POP is better for Sosua, only about 8 minutes away from NG by taxi, taxi cost to airport should be about $20 to $25, or possibly you could arrange a pickup with NG, which could possibly reduce the costs especially if someone else is also going to Sosua. Flying into SDQ and staying in Sosua is a headache (and not worth it in my opinion), first of all the cost of the taxi will be over $100 each way, thereby costing more than the amount you saved by flying into SDQ. Plus add on the extra time traveling in a taxi, more than four hours each way, that you could be spending enjoying yourself on the beach or with a chica. Also a hassle when you want to fly out, you would have to leave more than 6 hrs. before your flight to get to the airport on time, and that is hoping there is no delays, car problems, traffic problems etc. Better off spending the few extrad dollars into POP for peace of mind, convenience, and actually in the costs.

Hope that helps.

SrSuerte
09-16-2009, 05:18 AM
I agree with Dominican Billy,

You sent me a PM with the same question, so for others who may be interested I copied my response to you:

POP is better for Sosua, only about 8 minutes away from NG by taxi, taxi cost to airport should be about $20 to $25, or possibly you could arrange a pickup with NG, which could possibly reduce the costs especially if someone else is also going to Sosua. Flying into SDQ and staying in Sosua is a headache (and not worth it in my opinion), first of all the cost of the taxi will be over $100 each way, thereby costing more than the amount you saved by flying into SDQ. Plus add on the extra time traveling in a taxi, more than four hours each way, that you could be spending enjoying yourself on the beach or with a chica. Also a hassle when you want to fly out, you would have to leave more than 6 hrs. before your flight to get to the airport on time, and that is hoping there is no delays, car problems, traffic problems etc. Better off spending the few extrad dollars into POP for peace of mind, convenience, and actually in the costs.

Hope that helps.

That is why i asked about how much time you were spending in town and the time of your flight.

DCIronman
09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I always fly into SDQ or STI because it's always at least a $150 to $200 difference for me. But I always plan on spending the night in the city I fly into.

My typical 5/7 day trip to the DR normally goes something like this (if I even go to Sosua...sometimes I don't), 1 night in SD/Santiago wake up and kick chica out (after smashing), catch early bus to Sosua. After spending 3 to 5 days in Sosua (I get bored after that), I catch the bus back to SD/Santiago and spend the night there. Then I wake up and spend a leisure day doing whatever before catching a flight home.

Doing it this way not only saves me $150-$200 on a ticket, it also allows me to see the rest of the country (there's a lot more to the DR than just Sosua). I don't mind riding the bus, and I really like spending time in SD or my beloved Santiago.

On a side note. I flew into Santiago on my last trip and took a taxi to Sosua ($75 flat). My driver took me through Moca and some campo town called Sambitu (spelling?). There were so many gorgeous women walking around in these little towns that I was constantly telling my driver to slow down so I could gawk a bit. I swore to myself to come back and spend a bit more time there.

To me, it's always worth a little time to see other parts of the country.

yayow
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I agree with DC if that is your plan, and also DC is experienced in D.R., where the original poster it's his first trip here, and he doesn't know any spanish, so his chances of enjoying it the way DC can would be extremely limited.

For someone like DC, I would say that would be a good way of going, as long as you plan on spending time in the city you fly into, otherwise it can be exhausting after a flight and then making it up to Sosua in the same day, and back the other way when you fly out.

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I am flying into punta cana at xmas time and I was looking at how to get to POP too ...and then onto sousa...

google.... domestic flights in dominican republic.....

click on getting around dominican republic website...

click on getting around....buses...

you can take a air conditioned bus for $6 US... the bus shedules are there too...
just one way to see the country on the cheap...
metro buses are the higher end buses...

maybe this can be added to ISOC website...also gives prices for inland flights etc.... go to www.colonialtours.com.do (http://www.colonialtours.com.do)
punt cana to pop $199....

hope this helps....

Thanks for the info. Higher End Buses I am picturing John Maddens old bus he toured on before he retired being sent to the DR with the full kitchen.

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
As the British used to say "penny wise and pound foolish".

Look on a map and figure out how big this island is. Would you fly in to Detroit for a vacation in Buffalo because you saved $120.00us to stay for a 4 day vacation. Punta Cana would be like flying in to Chicago to vacation in Buffalo. Santo Domingo to Sosua is a 1 taxi and 1 Metro bus ride costing $30.00 and taking up to 6 hours. Punta Cana to Sosua is a 9 to 10 hour trip by taxi and costing a fortune. By bus a lot cheaper but many hours longer.

Get a map out fellows.

I wouldn't do it to save $120 but the trip by car would be fun to see the country at least once.

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
I always fly into SDQ or STI because it's always at least a $150 to $200 difference for me. But I always plan on spending the night in the city I fly into.

My typical 5/7 day trip to the DR normally goes something like this (if I even go to Sosua...sometimes I don't), 1 night in SD/Santiago wake up and kick chica out (after smashing), catch early bus to Sosua. After spending 3 to 5 days in Sosua (I get bored after that), I catch the bus back to SD/Santiago and spend the night there. Then I wake up and spend a leisure day doing whatever before catching a flight home.

Doing it this way not only saves me $150-$200 on a ticket, it also allows me to see the rest of the country (there's a lot more to the DR than just Sosua). I don't mind riding the bus, and I really like spending time in SD or my beloved Santiago.

On a side note. I flew into Santiago on my last trip and took a taxi to Sosua ($75 flat). My driver took me through Moca and some campo town called Sambitu (spelling?). There were so many gorgeous women walking around in these little towns that I was constantly telling my driver to slow down so I could gawk a bit. I swore to myself to come back and spend a bit more time there.

To me, it's always worth a little time to see other parts of the country.

This is what I was trying to say. Your experience going through the small towns can be a enjoyable part of the trip. Do to flight time changes out of POP I will get to see those towns and the other 2 routes to STI when I have to fly out of there a few times this winter. I too always spend the last night where I fly out of not just to relax and have a leisure day but to KNOW I am there and within easy access to quick cabs to the airport eliminating the potential to missing a flight with a broken down rental car, road closure problems or an accident. This has happened to me so I like get there the night before and reduce the stress.

JD426
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with DC if that is your plan, and also DC is experienced in D.R., where the original poster it's his first trip here, and he doesn't know any spanish, so his chances of enjoying it the way DC can would be extremely limited.
For someone like DC, I would say that would be a good way of going, as long as you plan on spending time in the city you fly into, otherwise it can be exhausting after a flight and then making it up to Sosua in the same day, and back the other way when you fly out.

this is key right here...
and wasnt there an identical thread about this like a week ago ?

yayow
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
this is key right here...
and wasnt there an identical thread about this like a week ago ?

If there was I wouldn't know about it, my computer was down for a couple of weeks, after a move to a new apt. takes forever for the cable and internet services to get you back up and running.

DCIronman
09-16-2009, 01:14 PM

A very good point. Newbies should fly into POP and reduce the chances of anything happening that is outside of their limited experience.

The only thing you should be worried about is how many chicas you can fit into a 24hr period.;)

sosuaman
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
fly into POP
the convenience (coming and going) is worth the few extra bucks.....

gdogg
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I also agree with the newbie flying into POP statement. The only reason I would fly to SDQ to go to Sosua would be to sight see, I guess. I would take a Caribe Tour bus which is not expensive, and spend the trip eyeing the cute chicas headed to Sosua.

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
The only reason I would fly to SDQ to go to Sosua would be to sight see . . .

Yeah but . . . Sight Seeing from STI to Sosua takes us 4 to 6 hours :D :rofl: :D

How the fuck long would it take from SDQ ? ? ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

gdogg
09-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I've heard at least 9-10 hours on the bus. That would be your party bus. I've never done it...just giving a what if?

chicmatic
09-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I thought about flying into airports other than POP but my trips have been short and it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Eventually though, if I have more time to spend I think it would tight to sight see along the way. On a 5 or 4 day trip though, I'm POP.

DCIronman
09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I've heard at least 9-10 hours on the bus. That would be your party bus. I've never done it...just giving a what if?

The Caribe tour bus from Santiago to Sosua is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. The bus from SD is around 5 1/2 hrs tops. Neither is too bad if you spend the night and take the 9 am bus.

Worth it to some. Especially if they want to do more than one city, and have the time to do it.

gdogg
09-17-2009, 03:52 AM
You're right IronMan. Jayman and I were talking about the party buses he's known for that stops at every colmado, restaurant, or gas station along the way to pick up Presidentes (and to party a little bit with the chicas).

Beads
09-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I was diverted on a flight from POP to SDQ airport and we left SDQ airport around 2pm and didnt get to POP until a little after 11pm. We stopped once for fuel just outside SQD airport for maybe 20 minutes and didnt stop again until we hit McDonalds in Santiago for another food and fuel stop.

It was one long bus ride and it felt like the bus was being driven pretty fast on most of the long highway stretches but I couldn't see the gauges to see how fast he was going.

rushdog34
09-20-2009, 11:07 AM
i seriously hope that does not happen to me EVER!!

I was diverted on a flight from POP to SDQ airport and we left SDQ airport around 2pm and didnt get to POP until a little after 11pm. We stopped once for fuel just outside SQD airport for maybe 20 minutes and didnt stop again until we hit McDonalds in Santiago for another food and fuel stop.

It was one long bus ride and it felt like the bus was being driven pretty fast on most of the long highway stretches but I couldn't see the gauges to see how fast he was going.

psriches
09-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Eat the extra guap and fly into POP!!!!!!!

yayow
09-20-2009, 12:31 PM
To be fair to Caribe Tours, I have taken it to Sosua the last two times I visited Sosua, and both times the ride was only 4.5 hours, the first time I left at noon from SDQ, and was in Sosua by 4:30 pm and the last time I left la capital at 8:00 am and was in Sosua by 12:30 pm.

Coming back took a little longer about 5.5 hours. the first time I hitched a ride with a friend coming to la capital, so I didn't return that trip via Caribe Tours, but the second time I did take the bus leaving Sosua at 10:20 am and it took about 5.5 hrs. as I stated.

Of course if you just fly in; you also have to take into account how long it will take to get to the bus station, and the cost of that.

chicmatic
10-30-2009, 08:17 PM
I need help determining the best way to get from Sosua to Santo Domingo...I have a little bit of leeway as far as my schedule goes and would rather spend the extra time 'touring' than having the 10+ hour layover I would leaving from POP.

I found this (http://dominicanrepublic-guide.info/getting.around/buses/)which is helpful. Maybe I'll try to catch the bus Monday and fly out Tuesday.