PDA

View Full Version : Money for Sosua

bigcowboyzfan11
09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a guy that i work with traveling to Sosua this weekend and he's only taking $350.00. I tried to explain to him that i'm not hating on you because you're going an i'm not(been there 15 times),but that is not the suitable amount for that trip because between paying 10 to get in the country, taxis,food,and presidentes he's not going to have anything left to party with..

rushdog34
09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
i had a budget nd still went over it by alittle and dont regret one bit... with 350 i hope he is going for 1 1/2 days

I have a guy that i work with traveling to Sosua this weekend and he's only taking $350.00. I tried to explain to him that i'm not hating on you because you're going an i'm not(been there 15 times),but that is not the suitable amount for that trip because between paying 10 to get in the country, taxis,food,and presidentes he's not going to have anything left to party with..

sicpup71
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM

how long is he going,is the hotel paid for? does he drink/eat alot ? if he pays $30/50 a nite for a girl and is there for only the weekend 3day -$150 /for girls ($1500rd /$42)$100/for food and drinks .it can be done.

SeaWeed
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I am traveling to Sosua this weekend too but I am bringing a heck of alot more that that and mi food, drink and lodging are already paid for.......and think I am going to allocate $75-$100 a day for chicas.....

wondering what a a realistic ala carte budget would be if you had to pay for room, food, drinks and a chica every night?

would that be in the vicinty of $150-$200 day if you really wanted to enjoy yourself at all?

think $350 would only last mi two days if I did ala carte and had chicas......

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
how long is he going,is the hotel paid for? does he drink/eat alot ? if he pays $30/50 a nite for a girl and is there for only the weekend 3day -$150 /for girls ($1500rd /$42)$100/for food and drinks .it can be done.
I can't speak for you or him but $100 for food and drinks for 3 days WHAT!
I could eat on that for 3 days but the drinks would have to be a little less than I would want to enjoy on Vacation. $5 Breakfast easy $10 a nice lunch and at least $15-25 for a decent dinner followed by $5 for late night snacks would be at least $35 a day right there to feed me. Damn I'm Thirsty :biggrin:

PapiQueRico
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
These are trips to fantasy land. Why go with a tight budget??

I try to always bring about 50% more cash than I think I will need. Maybe it is because I don't get to travel that often, but while I'm not extravgant, I don't want $$ to deny me fun. There's nothing wrong with coming home with money, it's just the start of the fund for the next trip!

Tiger
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM

You sure he didn't mean $3500.00?

$350.00 just doesn't get it.

gdogg
09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm one of the most frugal people here, call me tacano...I don't care. When I first went to the D.R., my goal was to spend $100 a day (hotel included). Mind you, this was going on six years ago, and the ratio was over 50:1. I think I left spending about $150 a day.

When you budget, you never foresee the intangibles. Food prices vary. You may plan to eat the corner chicken or at Susanna's everyday, but that may get old after a couple of days. You're gonna wanna hit up Morua Mai or get some prime rib at a Steak joint. You're at La Passions having the greatest time of your life and start to feel generous, so you tell your five buddies that you're with that the next round is on you. You may have the "una mil o nada" attitude with the chicas, but you see one that you just have to have and she leaves your hotel room with 1700 pesos plus another 50 for transpo.

I can't remember what the original topic was, but PQR said it best...bring 50% more than you plan to spend. Oh yeah, the dude's only bringing $350 with him. He'll have a decent two nights, I guess. But he'll spend too much time worrying if he's gonna run out of money.

theman
09-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, me my budget last year was 700$us for the week and only spent 500$us, let's say I was at casa marina and everything is included, so only had to pay for chica(had 13) and twice eat at Rocky's. This year will be the same budget. So 350$ for a week end is ok, for me.

gdogg
09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
You're talking about $350 for a weekend after hotel? I couldn't tell if the O.P. was talking about $350 including hotel.

sosuaman
09-16-2009, 02:21 PM
need a minimum of $100/day....

yayow
09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
....... he'll spend too much time worrying if he's gonna run out of money.

I agree with this anytime you go anywhere and are totally watching every penny you spend, worrying if you are going to run out or not, you always end up feeling it would have been better just to stay home, because you can't enjoy yourself that way.

I speak from experience especially when I was younger, of going someplace with friends, and trying to watch every penny, wasn't a good feeling, and didn't really enjoy myself.

weyland
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
You sure he didn't mean $3500.00?

$350.00 just doesn't get it.
This is a stupid post.

$350 is tight but he could have a very good time on it if:
-- His hotel does not come out of it (prepaid?)
-- He is not a lush
-- He eats local food and drinks local drinks
-- He finds and negotiates with his own chicas rather than finding them on a plate at Passions or clubs requiring a salida
-- He works alone thus avoiding pressure to buy rounds or generally "keep up with the Joneses" (do you have that expression in the US?)

It depends whether his main intent is to have a good time or to show off to other people that he is having a good time. The latter usually costs a lot more.

He should certainly have access to other money in case of emergencies.

We would all be interested to learn how he got on.

Dick Dawson
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
$350 only makes sense if you're bringing your ATM card(s) as well.

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
This is a stupid post.

$350 is tight but he could have a very good time on it if:
-x- His hotel does not come out of it (prepaid?)
-x- He is not a lush
-x- He eats local food and drinks local drinks
-- He finds and negotiates with his own chicas rather than finding them on a plate at Passions or clubs requiring a salida
-- He works alone thus avoiding pressure to buy rounds or generally "keep up with the Joneses" (do you have that expression in the US?)

It depends whether his main intent is to have a good time or to show off to other people that he is having a good time. The latter usually costs a lot more.

He should certainly have access to other money in case of emergencies.

We would all be interested to learn how he got on.

I struck out after the First 3 Strikes of your options. Where's the Patron?
But I will be glad to eat some local food and have a few dozen Presidente's but I don't want to meet my next perfect woman and be out of money because I enjoyed a nice Prime Rib or Steak and Lobster dinner and have to settle for a grizzly veteran. I know enough of those here.

yayow
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I think in a way the question isn't could he do it for a weekend on $350, yes of course he could. Gosh most Dominicans on the average don't make that in a month and somehow they survive, so it can be done, the question is; is that the way you want to spend your vacation.

$350 dollars calculates to about 12,500 pesos mas o menos. Like Weyland said it could be done, eating as a local Dominican for the weekend. Buying your beer or your choice of bottle of alcohol at the supermercado and drink in your room. Maybe have a beer or two at the Colmado or El Flow. Go for the 1,000 peso puta, or splurge and have a 1,500 peso chica one night. Do not have tln's. Have everything prepaid before landing, walk out to the main highway and catch a publico from the airport instead of a taxi. Pray that you don't have any emergencies.

So it can be done, like I said it is done everyday, but is that how you want to spend your vacation.

Jimmydr
09-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Time to get a new friend.:confused:

Jimmydr
09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
$350 dollars calculates to about 12,500 pesos mas o menos. Like Weyland said it could be done, eating as a local Dominican for the weekend. Buying your beer or your choice of bottle of alcohol at the supermercado and drink in your room. Maybe have a beer or two at the Colmado or El Flow. Go for the 1,000 peso puta, or splurge and have a 1,500 peso chica one night. Do not have tln's. Have everything prepaid before landing, walk out to the main highway and catch a publico from the airport instead of a taxi. Pray that you don't have any emergencies.

And if you see a chica that wants 2,000 that you really want, do you pass on her?

yayow
09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
And if you see a chica that wants 2,000 that you really want, do you pass on her?

That is exactly the point, you may have to make some real tough decisions, or be kicking yourself in the ass because you didn't bring a little bit more. Or maybe just don't eat for a day and a half.

Jimmydr
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
That is exactly the point, you may have to make some real tough decisions, or be kicking yourself in the ass because you didn't bring a little bit more. Or maybe just don't eat for a day and a half.

I never passed on a chica that was charging a fair price unless it was way over the top.

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
$350 is PLENTY . . . for 1 night (well a slow night ! . . so long as Drunko's not there !)

gdogg
09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
$350 is PLENTY . . . for 1 night (well a slow night ! . . so long as Drunko's not there !)

Ain't that the truth! Man, I miss you guys (in a non-gay way, of course).
:wink::iconTU:

husl2001
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess it depends on what the OP's friend is looking for.

If he's looking for bragging rights to tell all his friends he did paradise for $350.00, and is willing to sacrifice a lot of comfort for the ability to do that, then it's worth it.

If he has extremely low expectations, is o.k. with spending his vacation in a low-end no-tell, eating cheap food, drinking beer in his room, and getting serviced ST by a few girls most of us wouldn't smash for free, then it's worth it.

If he has any notion of eating well, staying in nice surroundings, getting massages, enjoying the company of beautiful women, seeing interesting parts of the North Coast, and having fun at the night spots, then he probably needs to triple his budget (at least).

To the OP, a friendly warning: unless you have very similar values and expectations as your friend, DO NOT travel to DR with him. You will find it to be an incredibly frustrating experience. He will not want to spend time or money on things you find interesting, and you will either pass on the activities or come out of pocket for his cheap @ss, and that will do nothing but piss you off. The first time you miss out on a mind-blowing experience with a dime because he didn't want to pay 100 pesos to get into Classico's or drive to POP, or hang out while you properly introduce yourself to a Passion chica or whatever, you'll get pissed off.

And you'll get tired of that damn chicken stand really, really fast.

I was stupid enough to do that with a cousin of mine years ago. My trip enjoyment increased tenfold once I stopped going with him.

I don't understand why so many cheap-assed people consider it a point of pride to spend their vacation lowballing everything.

osanhopps
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Everyone seems to forget! Bringing $350 is not the problem. The problem is when he runs out of money, or he see a women he wants and does not have the cash to pay for it. What does his friend do when he runs out? Does he loan him the money or does he say I only brought enough for myself. He better let him know that when he runs out of cash he is on his own. Because he is not going to ruin your fun. As long as he have that rule in place there should be no problems. And there should not be any quilt. Because he was forewarned. I know this sounds a little cold, but this is what he might be depending on!:wink:

Jimmydr
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
One day in Medellin, me and this other guy from ths board hit the casas 5 times in one day, why, because they had what we wanted!

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Airport Tax = $10 ($11 if ya buy it @ EWR)
Taxi = $40 (out & back)
Rocky's room with ZERO AC (do the TV's work?) = $25
1 chica = $40 short time for a chica from the disco?
Food = Gotta be 10 bucks right?

That's $125.00

leaves $175.00 after day 1

How did he get to the airport and then home in the US ? = $25 to $100.00+ ? ? ?

(I ain't goin on that trip ! ! !)

Jimmydr
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Airport Tax = $10 ($11 if ya buy it @ EWR)
Taxi = $40 (out & back)
Rocky's room with ZERO AC (do the TV's work?) = $25
1 chica = $40 short time for a chica from the disco?
Food = Gotta be 10 bucks right?

That's $125.00

leaves $175.00 after day 1

How did he get to the airport and then home in the US ? = $25 to $100.00+ ? ? ?

(I ain't goin on that trip ! ! !)

Yea, but I would like to read about it. maybe he has a book of IOUs like that other guy you met?

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
. . .

HEY . . . IT'S DRUNKO ! ! !

NICE AVATAR ! ! !

:eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko:

:wav::wav::wav:

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't understand why so many cheap-assed people consider it a point of pride to spend their vacation lowballing everything.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

eastcoastallstar
09-16-2009, 07:34 PM
$350 will last two days tops. Then it's humming and bumming off of you for the rest of the trip.

I would ditch his ass at the airport.

weyland
09-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree that if the OP has significantly more to spend, he should not travel with his poor (or cheap?) friend. Problems come when people in groups have different spending power. The poor ones may feel envious, or be tempted to spend more than they can afford, or they may limit the activities of their more affluent friends if these latter are sensitive to their situation and may not do all they want because their poorer friends would be left out.

Better if all members of a group, whether rich or poor, have roughly the same spending power.

In my post above I said he could have a very good time if he worked alone. In this case the question is whether he would be better off going on US$350 or not going at all. This is much the same as asking whether he could have a better time for his US$350 (plus air ticket plus hotel costs) in his own country? I know my answer to that one.

It doesn't make a lot of sense going for three days and only having US$350 to spend unless he gets a really cheap flight and cheap hotel (US$29 per night at Field of Dreams solves the latter problem).

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
You can get a room @ Field of Dreams for $29.00 a night ? ? ?

REALLY ? ? ?

gdogg
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Don't tell me there's finally someone who finds out things after I do. Yeah Jay, you slacker...Billy's place is 29 bucks per night!

Weyland, if he stays at FOD he'll have other problems. Transportation to and from Sosua and downtown Puerto Plata will eat deeply into the rest of his limited funds.

the_Jayman
09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't tell me there's finally someone who finds out things after I do. Yeah Jay, you slacker...Billy's place is 29 bucks per night!

GO KILL YOURSELF ! ! ! :wink:

Thanks for the info by the way ! ! !

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/3344_billy'sback.wmv

gdogg
09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
GO KILL YOURSELF ! ! ! :wink:

Thanks for the info by the way ! ! !

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/3344_billy'sback.wmv (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/3344_billy%27sback.wmv)

Somebody really misses the "fuck you" button.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bklyndrguy
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
wow wow can anyone teach me how to spend so lil money ? i allways go for 11-12 days and i allways spend 3000-3500 i guess i need a teacher jimbo if u read thisd maybe u can watch me so i can come home with some $$$...... :)
cdstart=new%20garden&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/domrepflag.jpg&yr=2009&mo=9&da=29&hr=0&mi=0&sc=0&cdend=undefined&txtcolor=undefined&untilcolor=undefined

chicmatic
09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I guess you could bring as little money as you want as long as you have access to more and/or you know some serious Spanish. I plan on $200 a day but plans change of course.

JuanElGriego
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
People like him should just do everyone a favor and just kill themselves.

This is the type of dude that wants to complicate the lunch tab with his 2 buddies by, rather than simply dividing by 3, wants to point out that his hot dog cost 30 pesos less than their hamburgers so he wants a recalculation. :rolleyes:

($350 ..... GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!) :guns:

JuanElGriego
09-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I guess you could bring as little money as you want as long as you have access to more

No i believe the whole point of the thread is his buddy is planning on spending only that much.

mikelodge
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
HEY . . . IT'S DRUNKO ! ! !

NICE AVATAR ! ! !

:eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko: :eldrunko:

:wav::wav::wav:

He may be DRUNKO but I am going to be SOBER OH and still won't be able to do it on $350 plus car and hotel and putas because after seeing the quality of Putttaass I would get I hit the pow wow safe for extra funds. I quit drinking until tomorrow after after seeing this poor underfunded fuck in the picture.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414ab190a4e0863.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

weyland
09-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Weyland, if he stays at FOD he'll have other problems. Transportation to and from Sosua and downtown Puerto Plata will eat deeply into the rest of his limited funds.
Assuming one return trip to PP and one return trip to Sosúa on each of his three days:
(2+2) x 3 x 35 pesos = 420 pesos.

Add 6 motoconchos rides @ 25 pesos in PP (everything in Sosúa is walkable) = 150 pesos = 570 pesos = US$16 approx. Hardly a deal breaker.

I think we all agree we wouldn't want to be on his budget and that he shouldn't drag down another guy's vacation. I am just saying that it is doable and it might be preferable to not visiting the DR at all.

Somewhat different situation, I agree, but I probably spend 20% to 30% of what most guys on ISOC spend in the DR each day, and I am having a great time. I couldn't be more pleased to be in the DR and I wouldn't want to deprive anyone else of the opportunity.

Mr. Smooth
09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
When the op says of his buddy coming down for the weekend, is it a 2 day Fri-Sat and go back home Sun, or is it a 3 day stay with a return home on Mon? If the first case, yes, $350 is plenty. If the second, then he will be pushing it and I would suggest he brings his atm for back up funds. How many of us do a blow out on our last night before heading for the airport the next day? I'm as tight with a buck as I need to be, but I still have a good time and spend what I want for whatever I desire. The op should lay some ground rules before taking off incase the friend finds himself short after a day and a half. Another $100 in his wallet and the op's friend should be fine.

bigcowboyzfan11
09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I think my other peeps who are with him will help him out,but i just think he should have more than that. 350.00 is too low for a 3 day trip.