PDA

View Full Version : New highway

FnB
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.santo-domingo-live.com/santo-domingo/autopista-santo-domingo-samana.html
Mas informacion,
Jim
http://www.santo-domingo-live.com/upload/mapa-santo-domingo-samana-2.jpg

osanhopps
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to say thank you. I was looking for a detailed map, to get from Abreu to Higuey. And you unknowingly provided it. Once again, THANKS:iconTU:

psriches
09-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Has anyone driven it?? (personally)

husl2001
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I just wanted to say thank you. I was looking for a detailed map, to get from Abreu to Higuey. And you unknowingly provided it. Once again, THANKS:iconTU:

Has anybody done SDQ to Sosua on the new road? How long does it take? Are there any dangerous patches (i.e., potholes, etc.) we need to be on the lookout for?

Jimmydr
09-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Has anybody done SDQ to Sosua on the new road? How long does it take? Are there any dangerous patches (i.e., potholes, etc.) we need to be on the lookout for?

What new road? You talking about that same road?

husl2001
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
What new road? You talking about that same road?

Yes, the one that now connects SDQ to Samana, Autopista Juan Pablo II (aka Route 8), that opened early last year.

psriches
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Has anybody done SDQ to Sosua on the new road? How long does it take? Anything we need to be on the lookout for?Yeah we need to find someone who has driven it. We need the correct information.

Not a friend of a friend of a friend who drove it!!:wink:

snoozer
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I drove it in June with my novia. What do you want to know?

husl2001
09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I drove it in June with my novia. What do you want to know?

yayow
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Has anyone driven it?? (personally)

I drove it returning to Santo Domingo about two months ago, as a passenger after my accident, nice ride, new road is great, depending where you are going in Santo Domingo or other points east it is great because you can avoid the major Santo Domingo traffic using it. The highway itself is barren, not much to see, if you want to stop for refreshments once you get on it, you are shit out of luck. But the road is brand new and no problems one land in some places and two lanes most of the ride many stretches where you won't even see another car in either direction, a few problems on the road to Nagua to get to it however, when I went construction was going on so that slowed us down a little bit. Once you get on the highway no real speed limit as are most highways in the D.R., so you can go just about as fast as you want, with very little traffic.

Don't remember the exact time but will guess about 3.5 hours, the only reason I can't remember is because the guy I was driving with forget some papers that he needed in Santo Domingo so he had to return to Sosua, after we had already been about an hour into the drive. So it totally screwed up my sense of timing.

yayow
09-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Haven't done it in that direction, but can't imagine it being any different from doing it in the opposite direction. Again if you rent a car in SDQ, and take the road, shortly after leaving the airport I would guess about 3.5 hours or so, most days to Sosua, not much traffic going this way at all. No dangerous patches on the highway itself, a few once you get off in the Nagua area, if they haven't completed the construction on that road yet, if they have, no problems at all.

I would recommend it especially from the airport to Sosua.

gmalet
09-25-2009, 06:18 AM
I took the road 2 weeks ago. Nice road. You can really get up and go on it. No pot holes. Its the AutoBahn of Dominican Republic right now.

DCIronman
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I took the road 2 weeks ago. Nice road. You can really get up and go on it. No pot holes. Its the AutoBahn of Dominican Republic right now.

Don't know about that. We took this highway last week. It is a great highway. And very scenic once you reach the north coast. But there are a few speed traps on it now. Which me and my boys learned to our detriment. The ticket was only $1000RD, but it was a pain to pay.

However, I did learn where the fiscalera is in Sosua. So I guess that I can chalk it up to a learning experience.

mikelodge
10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Don't know about that. We took this highway last week. It is a great highway. And very scenic once you reach the north coast. But there are a few speed traps on it now. Which me and my boys learned to our detriment. The ticket was only $1000RD, but it was a pain to pay.

However, I did learn where the fiscalera is in Sosua. So I guess that I can chalk it up to a learning experience.

How fast were you going and what is the posted limit?

DCIronman
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
How fast were you going and what is the posted limit?

The posted speed limit is 80km per hour. I guess we were going faster than that.:(

mikelodge
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
The posted speed limit is 80km per hour. I guess we were going faster than that.:(

DR Autobahn :rofl: can you imagine posting a 50 mph sign on the German one.

husl2001
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM

We were out there alone, heading towards the north coast. The speed trap is about 15 minutes away from the second toll station, and looks like a regular spot for the policia (they actually have a small shelter built there.)

On the trip back to Santo Domingo, we just got behind a car doing 120-140 kph, and had no issues.

mikelodge
10-08-2009, 11:51 AM
We were out there alone, heading towards the north coast. The speed trap is about 15 minutes away from the second toll station, and looks like a regular spot for the policia (they actually have a small shelter built there.)

On the trip back to Santo Domingo, we just got behind a car doing 120-140 kph, and had no issues.

How much are the tolls?

JD426
10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
You have not LIVED til you've had the BMW OVER 230KM.

I would imagine the 80km limit is in certain areas only and then it opens back up. Its the same in Germany, certain areas have posted limits and one needs to heed them, and then where see "the sign" (a tire track in a circle, which brings a smile to my face just thinking of it) and you can open er up all the way .

mikelodge
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM

I would imagine the 80km limit is in certain areas only and then it opens back up. Its the same in Germany, certain areas have posted limits and one needs to heed them, and then where see "the sign" (a tire track in a circle, which brings a smile to my face just thinking of it) and you can open er up all the way .

120 mph plus on a bike is a rush too. I have done that 140 plus shit is a vette and one time in a Pontiac GTA Trans Am that we had a different chip put in the computer. Gave all that crazy shit up years ago now I am content to keep the bike at 75-80 mph on the freeway and actually prefer a much slower 50 mph nice ride somewhere scenic. Tickets have gone up and insurance nails you bad enough even with only a couple regular speeding tickets a year.

husl2001
10-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Actually, the top speed for the entire highway is 80 kph. A good chunk of the last 1/3 of the highway (close to Nagua) is closer to 50 kph, due to lots of curves and hills.

At the end of the highway, you turn left, so the ocean is on your right side. The road is fine through Nagua, but after that, there's a stretch between there and Rio San Juan which has a ton of potholes. It's best to follow another car, as the potholes come up quickly and the other vehicles give you some advance warning. DO NOT attempt to drive at or above the speed limit at night, especially if you're in a car, as it would be exceedingly dangerous.

After Rio San Juan, the road is fine all the way through Puerto Plata.

For a daytime run, and assuming no stops, give yourself 3 1/2 hours from the time you enter the highway until you are in downtown Sosua.

It's a nice drive, and you get to see a lot you'd ordinarily miss if you flew straight into POP. That said, be careful - the police and potholes are equally hazardous on this route.

JD426
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM

For a daytime run, and assuming no stops, give yourself 3 1/2 hours from the time you enter the highway until you are in downtown Sosua.

It's a nice drive, and you get to see a lot you'd ordinarily miss if you flew straight into POP. That said, be careful - the police and potholes are equally hazardous on this route.

this would be an impossible timeframe :rofl:
as We usually average about 3-4 stops for snacks & food, gas, more cold beer, baņo . Its usually like 6+ hours. But like you said, you get to see a LOT more of the scenery.
That is, when a chica is not on my lap with her tits in my face, holding my beer. LOL
I love road trips in the DR.

husl2001
10-08-2009, 04:58 PM
How much are the tolls?

For a private car or SUV, you'll need approximately RD400 for the tolls. They don't exchange foreign cash, so have your pesos handy.

psriches
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
OK now we get all the info without the HYPE!!!!!:wink::wink::wink::wink:

I want to give it a shot on the next trip!