PDA

View Full Version : Getting from the airport in Santiago to Sosua--Don Tomas??

Apos
01-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm flying into STI and arriving at 12:45 pm and I want to get to the Caribe bus terminal, take the bus to Los charamicas and then get to Rocky's. Since I'll be arriving in the daylight I thought I'd be a little more adventerous than just getting a taxi to Sosua.

I'll be travelling light, carryon only. How much is a taxi to the bus terminal? Does anyone have a map that clearly shows the airport and the bus terminal?

I have no issue with a public taxi if the route is direct. I like to explore and try new stuff but my spanish is limited although functional.

Thanks in advance.

BrooklynBeas
01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
the answer is somewhere here because i read it a few days ago but i forgot... i think it was 200 pesos to the bus stop if i remember correctly... take the bus its airconditioned and maybe you can meet a nice chica on there...

Apos
01-30-2005, 04:24 PM
the answer is somewhere here because i read it a few days ago but i forgot... i think it was 200 pesos to the bus stop if i remember correctly... take the bus its airconditioned and maybe you can meet a nice chica on there...

Yea, I was trying to find it but can't. I will take the Caribe Tours to Los Charamicas, I did i last trip, but have not been to/from the airport before.

Don Tomas
01-30-2005, 06:31 PM
A post for me, how nice...

First here is the best Santiago Map:

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/mapsantiago.htm

First disregard the airport on the map, the map is old and that is not the airport. That area is a jail and a huge PN station.

The map doesn't show the new airport. The Cibao airport is SW of the city.

They build a 4 lane road leading to the airport that connects with Autopista Duarte SW of the city. This is the road (in red) that ends at the SW corner of the map.

The other main road you want to find is Estrella Shadalá, this a major N-S road.

The Caribe Bus terminal is located at Estrella Shadalá & 27th de Feb. It is on 27th de Feb on the south side of the street. Look for the KFC, it's across from there.

I don't know how much the taxi would be.

Jimmydr
01-30-2005, 06:43 PM

The prices are posted by the taxi stand. If you are lucky you may be able to get a taxi dropping off some one. Its a very long walk to the main road from the inside of the airport.

I think it was 250 to get downtown.

Apos
01-30-2005, 06:44 PM
A post for me, how nice...

First here is the best Santiago Map:

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/mapsantiago.htm

First disregard the airport on the map, the map is old and that is not the airport. That area is a jail and a huge PN station.

The map doesn't show the new airport. The Cibao airport is SW of the city.

They build a 4 lane road leading to the airport that connects with Autopista Duarte SW of the city. This is the road (in red) that ends at the SW corner of the map.

The other main road you want to find is Estrella Shadalá, this a major N-S road.

The Caribe Bus terminal is located at Estrella Shadalá & 27th de Feb. It is on 27th de Feb on the south side of the street. Look for the KFC, it's across from there.

I don't know how much the taxi would be.

Thanks Don Tomas,

Great map!

Apparently the taxi is about $450 according to hillbilly on DR1.

RickRock
02-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm a newbie on this board. I just made my first trip to the Dominican last weekend. I paid a taxi 1500 peso from Santiago to Sosua. He drove my novia and I there, waited for us for a few hours and then returned us to Santiago. Is this a good price? I did buy lunch for him and his wife which may have run $15 or so.

dapanz1

Don Tomas
02-23-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm a newbie on this board. I just made my first trip to the Dominican last weekend. I paid a taxi 1500 peso from Santiago to Sosua. He drove my novia and I there, waited for us for a few hours and then returned us to Santiago. Is this a good price? I did buy lunch for him and his wife which may have run $15 or so.

dapanz1

RD$1500 R/T or each way? If RD$1500 plus lunch for the whole trip then it was a great deal.

RickRock
02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
DT..it was for the whole trip. I have his cell phone number if you want to contact him. His name is Yran. Pronounced like the country Iran. Nice guy, good driver.

dapanz1

Apos
02-23-2005, 05:56 PM
DT..it was for the whole trip. I have his cell phone number if you want to contact him. His name is Yran. Pronounced like the country Iran. Nice guy, good driver.

dapanz1

that is a great price, infact about half of what i found. good deal.

if it's okay with you and him why not post his phone number?

RickRock
02-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Apostrophe...I will call him and get his permission.

dapanz1

JDR
02-23-2005, 07:41 PM

dapanz1

Very good price. Range is 1,500-2,000.

Dick Dawson
02-23-2005, 08:43 PM

dapanz1

Jayman and El D will probably be interested as well.

Apos
02-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Apostrophe...I will call him and get his permission.

dapanz1

thanks, he may find himself very busy :D

Don Tomas
02-24-2005, 11:01 AM

dapanz1

I drive in the DR so I don't need a taxi.

RickRock
02-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Ok, I have received permission to post the cell number to the taxi driver. Please only contact him if you are serious. Santiago to Sosua and return for 1500 pesos. I'm sure you are probably all generous enough to provide your driver with a tip or maybe a meal. That would be a nice gesture. Anyway, his name is Yran and doesn't speak much English but is a hell of a nice guy and a good driver. Cellular is 772-5674.

dapanz1

PS. Tell him you got his name from Jaime de Chicago.

JDR
02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Ok, I have received permission to post the cell number to the taxi driver. Please only contact him if you are serious. Santiago to Sosua and return for 1500 pesos. I'm sure you are probably all generous enough to provide your driver with a tip or maybe a meal. That would be a nice gesture. Anyway, his name is Yran and doesn't speak much English but is a hell of a nice guy and a good driver. Cellular is 772-5674.

dapanz1

PS. Tell him you got his name from Jaime de Chicago.

I am thinking of getting there at Midnight, maybe I can use the guy.

RickRock
02-25-2005, 10:48 AM

Midnight?? Actually, I guess that's still early for the Dominican.

dapanz1

JDR
02-25-2005, 11:10 AM

Midnight?? Actually, I guess that's still early for the Dominican.

dapanz1

American Flight leaves at 8:30PM.

psriches
06-03-2005, 08:43 PM
This past weekend, i drove to Sosua from Santiago using the Mountain Road. I have excellant directions and it was a very painless drive. Wsj and i did it in 1 hour 30 mins. But only drive this way during daylight hours. No street lamps!

JDR
06-03-2005, 08:49 PM
This past weekend, i drove to Sosua from Santiago using the Mountain Road. I have excellant directions and it was a very painless drive. Wsj and i did it in 1 hour 30 mins. But only drive this way during daylight hours. No street lamps!

There are no guard rails.