PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Policia? Who do i call?

psriches
10-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm offering some useful phone numbers when a Tourist finds himself in a jam. This is a follow up to my below post from a different thread:

US Consular Agency - POP (809)586-8017; 4204
- SDQ (809)221-2171 ext 0; ask for duty officer.

American Citizens Services (809)221-2171; (809)731-4294.

Internal Affairs (Nacional Policia) - last resort - (809)688-1777; 0777.

"The problem i always have in the Capital is with the Policia. Not the green suited AMET traffic agents, but the nacional police.

As soon as they spot a single american tourist driving in a bright green clown car, i get stopped and the shake down begins. They make up some fake traffic charge, such as, making a turn from the wrong lane(lie), running a red light(lie) or talking on a cell phone(lie).

They ask for my license and say they're writing a 1000 peso ticket but for 500 pesos, they can make the matter go away. I've gotten stopped at least 5 times in the Capital and a couple times one has even gotten in the car and made me drive to a side street to scare me.

So if any of this happens, remain calm and respectful, but tell them you don't have any money. Take your cell phone out and tell them you need to check with your friend at the Consular. Hopefully at this point they will back off. If all else fails, i usually keep 200 pesos in the cup holder if i'm in a rush. That has worked sometimes as well.

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

psriches
10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Also remember it is your right to request names. They are all supposed to have nametags unless they're plainclothed.

givengo440
10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I tell you the pigs are funky even out of the country smh

eastcoastallstar
10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Make this thread a sticky.

Thanks PS!

I'm offering some useful phone numbers when a Tourist finds himself in a jam. This is a follow up to my below post from a different thread:

"The problem i always have in the Capital is with the Policia. Not the green suited AMET traffic agents, but the nacional police.

As soon as they spot a single american tourist driving in a bright green clown car, i get stopped and the shake down begins. They make up some fake traffic charge, such as, making a turn from the wrong lane(lie), running a red light(lie) or talking on a cell phone(lie).

They ask for my license and say they're writing a 1000 peso ticket but for 500 pesos, they can make the matter go away. I've gotten stopped at least 5 times in the Capital and a couple times one has even gotten in the car and made me drive to a side street to scare me.

So if any of this happens, remain calm and respectful, but tell them you don't have any money. Take your cell phone out and tell them you need to check with your friend at the Consular. Hopefully at this point they will back off. If all else fails, i usually keep 200 pesos in the cup holder if i'm in a rush. That has worked sometimes as well.

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

psriches
10-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I tell you the pigs are funky even out of the country smheasy easy!!!!!! :wink:

Drjetman
10-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Policia Nacional Dominicana has a website where you can file a complaint against an officer. I was not able to post the link but if you do a google search it will come up.

SeaWeed
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
good to know as I have driven thru the capital but never got stopped.........thanks!

sonrisa
10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info and suggestions, especially the phone numbers. I always rent a car as I enjoy the freedom and love to peruse the cities, pueblos, beaches, countrysides, notable historical and nature sights, and visit a few restaurants in different places. My one trip to the capital was no problem, although extra alertness was always needed with the heavy traffic. I've never had any problems (knock on wood). I try to be extra careful and since I don't drink alcohol, driving drunk is not a problem . . . except for oncoming traffic and a few crazy motoconchos. Basically, I try not to stand out or push my luck. Still, having some back-up plans is always helpful. I've even thought about calling the U.S. consular upon arrival and get the name of a duty officer just in case I did need some help. Caution , common sense and courtesy go a long way, but may not solve every problem.

Marco
10-18-2009, 08:50 PM

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

Thank you for taking your time to share this information and your experiences. This post is an excellent example why this board is so good!:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

Donny Boy
10-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I used to have the POP Counsel number when traveling to Sousa never had to use it but was good to know.

Lost my old cell, could this be used in place of the POP?

prtyr2
10-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't have the consular number stored in my cell but whenever stopped, I pull out my cell and tell the cop I need to call my brother. Cop asks why. I say my bro works at the US Embassy and told me if I ever had any trouble. . . .I should call him. 100% succcess rate so far in having cop say "have a nice day".

One time my buddy was driving and after the incident he turns to me and says "you have a brother at the embassy". . . . I say. . . .nope. . . no brothers any where. . . .one sister back in NY. . .. .;-)

givengo440
10-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Good intel since I will be traveling solo this mission. ISOC the best baby!!!

ROVER
10-20-2009, 12:49 AM

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

Great post Thankyou.

O.K. now a question. What if you tell them O.K. just write me the ticket and you finish your vacation, go home and just never pay it ????

What is the downside to this ?? :confused:

mikelodge
10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Great post Thankyou.

O.K. now a question. What if you tell them O.K. just write me the ticket and you finish your vacation, go home and just never pay it ????

What is the downside to this ?? :confused:

I would be afraid to do that. Suppose he takes the info off your Tourist Card or copy of passport and enters it in a ticket system. How would you know if it is linked up to the airport. I am not going to be the guy with machine guns pointed at me at the airport trying to depart and being stopped. I think paying it would be a million times easier.

hioctane
10-20-2009, 01:19 PM

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

This is usually the safest bet.. 100 for each policia (They usually come in groups of 2-3) is usually enough. Is it really worth wasting your vacation time to play hardball with them? You're giving them about $5.. The cost of a couple of beers! Forget about it and go have fun!

psriches
10-20-2009, 11:04 PM
This is usually the safest bet.. 100 for each policia (They usually come in groups of 2-3) is usually enough. Is it really worth wasting your vacation time to play hardball with them? You're giving them about $5.. The cost of a couple of beers! Forget about it and go have fun!The very first time i was stopped i gave two Policia 100 pesos each. But this last time i was stopped i offered the same and they asked for $50 us. When i refused to pay, they motioned for me to pull over and hassled me until i threatened to make some phone calls which i should have done to begin with. All in all, i remained parked on the side of the road for almost 30 mins going back and forth with them. I travel every other month, so yes it's worth the hassle to me because i don't want to pay fucking toll charges every time i use certain streets. My last trip down was about a week ago!

gmalet
10-21-2009, 06:08 AM
If you pay off the cops they will assume you are a sucker and ask for more. This is why cops are harrassing us Americans. Because they know some of us are suckers and they can get free money out of us.

Don't pay them shit. If you honestly did something illegal have them write you a ticket. I had two tickets and never paid them.

If they ask for cash don't pay them. Tell them you have no money.

They will hassle you more and try to get more out of you try to bribe them.

howudoen
10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I got a seatbelt ticket just past Playero about 3 months ago and never paid it, the chica in my car threw it out the window as I drove away....

psriches
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
A person has to do what they feel comfortable with. You might not be in Sosua or other tourist area. You might be solo in the middle of Santo Domingo and not in a position to say "fuck you" to the Policia. What if they don't want to give you a ticket or let you go? What if they want to get in your car and direct you to a side street? What then? What if you've got a plane to catch and don't have time to play games with them? So i think we've offered different ways to handle the situation. One has to make an assessment and do what they're most comfortable with.

mikelodge
10-21-2009, 11:25 PM

I hate the Capital!!!!!"

PS thanks for the valuable post and I hope this isn't a stupid question but I wouldn't be my first :p Would you please tell me what you mean by being in the bright green clown car? Do you rent green cars or am I missing something or what? :confused::confused:

hioctane
10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
A person has to do what they feel comfortable with. You might not be in Sosua or other tourist area. You might be solo in the middle of Santo Domingo and not in a position to say "fuck you" to the Policia. What if they don't want to give you a ticket or let you go? What if they want to get in your car and direct you to a side street? What then? What if you've got a plane to catch and don't have time to play games with them? So i think we've offered different ways to handle the situation. One has to make an assessment and do what they're most comfortable with.

This is very true. Most of the time we was stopped in the Capitol city. Once in Santiago and once in Puerto Plata. Never in Sosua. It was late at night (going to casas). The streets were pretty deserted. Who knows what the corrupt policia might do to you. That's why we just paid them the couple hundred pesos!

psriches
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM
PS thanks for the valuable post and I hope this isn't a stupid question but I wouldn't be my first :p Would you please tell me what you mean by being in the bright green clown car? Do you rent green cars or am I missing something or what? :confused::confused:Sometimes when you rent, the cars are easily recognizable as rentals. And most of those times it's because of the color. I've been given green, orange, red, etc, etc. And when you rent economy, you'll get a colorful very small car; hence the term "clown car" like the ones in the circus.

Hazard
10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Bulletin: On my last trip I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in Sosua -from the nice female AMET cop. No go to station, no shake down, and very friendly on advising me how to pay. I SHIT YOU NOT! It was about 30 bucks, but I did pay (I know, I know) but I was impressed! The funny thing was there were at least 4 people standing in the back of the truck yahooing ... oh well, its a beginning - and no resentment on my part. I always try and get the name of the newest police regional anti-corruption officer (or perhaps corruption coordinator??) when I am in country. I babble all Spanish words I can remember, in no order, then throw his name in and demand to see him NOW. NO CASH for N.P's ever exchanged after several stops using this approach! Give it a try!

psriches
10-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Bulletin: On my last trip I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in Sosua -from the nice female AMET cop. No go to station, no shake down, and very friendly on advising me how to pay. I SHIT YOU NOT! It was about 30 bucks, but I did pay (I know, I know) but I was impressed! The funny thing was there were at least 4 people standing in the back of the truck yahooing ... oh well, its a beginning - and no resentment on my part. I always try and get the name of the newest police regional anti-corruption officer (or perhaps corruption coordinator??) when I am in country. I babble all Spanish words I can remember, in no order, then throw his name in and demand to see him NOW. NO CASH for N.P's ever exchanged after several stops using this approach! Give it a try!AMET never tries to shake you down. This thread really relates to the Policia!

questner
05-28-2021, 04:33 PM
CESTUR becomes POLITUR again (https://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=6258&article=1) At the initiative of Minoru Matsunaga, the newly appointed brigadier general of the tourist police, the name CESTUR (Cuerpo Especializado de Seguridad TurÃ*stica) is changed to POLITUR (Dirección Central de PolicÃ*a de Turismo). POLITUR was previously the name of the tourist police. The brigadier general wants to wipe the slate clean after the commotion about alleged corruption within the tourist police. There was even talk of mafia practices. The previous commander had already been temporarily replaced by the Air Force Colonel. In a memorandum, the brigadier general announced that from now on the name POLITUR must be used in internal and external communication and in logos.

Source: cdn.com.do (https://cdn.com.do/principales/cestur-volvera-a-llamarse-politur/)
https://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2021/05/05-27.jpg (https://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2021/05/05-27.jpg) Minoru Matsunaga:loyal:

steviewonder
05-28-2021, 05:40 PM
CESTUR becomes POLITUR again (https://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=6258&article=1)

At the initiative of Minoru Matsunaga, the newly appointed brigadier general of the tourist police, the name CESTUR (Cuerpo Especializado de Seguridad TurÃ*stica) is changed to POLITUR (Dirección Central de PolicÃ*a de Turismo). POLITUR was previously the name of the tourist police. The brigadier general wants to wipe the slate clean after the commotion about alleged corruption within the tourist police. There was even talk of mafia practices. The previous commander had already been temporarily replaced by the Air Force Colonel. In a memorandum, the brigadier general announced that from now on the name POLITUR must be used in internal and external communication and in logos.

Source: cdn.com.do (https://cdn.com.do/principales/cestur-volvera-a-llamarse-politur/)

(https://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2021/05/05-27.jpg)Click to see pic (https://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2021/05/05-27.jpg) Minoru Matsunaga

:loyal:

Wash, Rinse, Repeat... The DR own the saying; Same thing, different day!

questner
05-28-2021, 08:05 PM
same same but different!:mrgreen:

I least I've been with one cafe-con-sake girl (half Dominican - half Japanese) :biggrin:

Latina_Banger_1
06-23-2021, 09:19 AM
Sometimes when you rent, the cars are easily recognizable as rentals. And most of those times it's because of the color. I've been given green, orange, red, etc, etc. And when you rent economy, you'll get a colorful very small car; hence the term "clown car" like the ones in the circus.

Always get a silver/gray or black car possibly with tinted windows.You blend in better!