PDA

View Full Version : 11/2009 - Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

givengo440
11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
During my last trip to Sosua I had money sent to me twice once in Charimicos where the exchange rate at Caribe Money Exchange (down the hill from Caribe tours) was 36.05 (a full peso) in some places then in Sosua. There is also an lil exchange place right next door to Caribe that gave the same rate of 36.05. The other time I recieved money via Western Union in Sosua (just up the street going towards the main highway) and the exchange rate there was also 36.05. YES THEY WILL EXCHANGE YOUR MONEY EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING A WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER. The closest to that rate in Sosua was 35.90 in a lil place just across from Classicos (halfway up the block) on the same side of the street as the Sports Bar.

Jimbo44
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
The playero supermarket on Hwy 5 always gave me 36 to my dollar.

givengo440
11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
The playero supermarket on Hwy 5 always gave me 36 to my dollar.

Ok 36 to 36.05 not much of a difference.

JD426
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I got 36.10 with no problem at the place right after Hermans bar as you walk to Classicos. Just tell him MIKE( make up a name) recommended you to him, and he got that rate. Day time only. A couple just off the plane in front of me were given like 35.70 or something, and were happy with it, the wife showed her hand when she said "wow thats a lot better than at the airport"... Amateur . LOL.. I said nothing, waited til they LEFT,(which the exchange guy appreciated) and made my deal at 36.10. So thats how it seems to work.

givengo440
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I got 36.10 with no problem at the place right after Hermans bar as you walk to Classicos. Just tell him MIKE( make up a name) recommended you to him, and he got that rate. Day time only. A couple just off the plane in front of me were given like 35.70 or something, and were happy with it, the wife showed her hand when she said "wow thats a lot better than at the airport"... Amateur . LOL.. I said nothing, waited til they LEFT,(which the exchange guy appreciated) and made my deal at 36.10. So thats how it seems to work.

I was told to be careful there because the money be counterfeit... But I will keep that in my mental for the next trip the first weekend of December. Buying ticket friday.

SeaWeed
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
a lot of guys at SeaBreeze were using this place down by the Kaka Kaka Bar and Happy Bar for 36 to 1 in September......

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/170084af84a83079a2.jpg

it was to the left of the Kaka Kaka bar in this picture.........
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/170084af84b2a830af.jpg

one day when I was waiting in line to change a $100 at this place there was a monger in front of me......mi waiting and waiting.......thinking what the heck is this guy doing..... this guy changed out $4,000US........when it was my turn and after the $4,000US guy had left.....I said to the owner that must be one expensive Chica......him was laughing and pratically rolling on the ground on that one......

JD426
11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I was told to be careful there because the money be counterfeit... But I will keep that in my mental for the next trip the first weekend of December. Buying ticket friday.
I doubt that, I was told hes been there for a bit .Its a hole in the wall, but I dont think he would want to give someone counterfeits, hes too easy to find again, and everyone tends to know the LAST place they got Cambio.
I would be more worried about the street guys, who are probably the ones starting the Rumour. Dont forget they work on a tight margin or maybe .20-.30,but they do it all day long so the can make a couple thousand pesos. Which is a half months salary, for hanging out and bullshitting with tourists all day, not a bad Gig and not very hard work, if you can do math on your feet.
The street guys in Santo Domingo, are CRIMINALS, Dont EVER deal with them, or you will be sorry, esp if they offer you a rate WAY too good to be true, then you know they will cheat you for sure, just walk away.

Edit......

Dont misunderstand me , the street guys in Sosua are NOT criminals(from what I have seen an heard) , . They are hustlers for sure, but not criminals, since its a SMALL town, and they take it seriously.
In SANTO DOMINGO (HUGE city) , they ARE 90 % criminals (IMO) and smart Gringos will not deal with them at all .They dont fear anything as they will easily set up in another section of the city, and they know we're not good at remembering their faces anyway. Most times the getaway is with another Motoconcho waiting near by. So dont let your guard down when u go there.
thats all im saying.

givengo440
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I doubt that, I was told hes been there for a bit .Its a hole in the wall, but I dont think he would want to give someone counterfeits, hes too easy to find again, and everyone tends to know the LAST place they got Cambio.
I would be more worried about the street guys, who are probably the ones starting the Rumour. Dont forget they work on a tight margin or maybe .20-.30,but they do it all day long so the can make a couple thousand pesos. Which is a half months salary, for hanging out and bullshitting with tourists all day, not a bad Gig and not very hard work, if you can do math on your feet.
The street guys in Santo Domingo, are CRIMINALS, Dont EVER deal with them, or you will be sorry, esp if they offer you a rate WAY too good to be true, then you know they will cheat you for sure, just walk away.
JD I agree with what you are saying just passing the intel as it came to me. As far as the street guys they yell a number I yell back double and triple that number. There is only one way to deal with a thief cut his fucking fingers off! So I stay clear...

gdogg
11-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Super used to match whatever the best going price was (if you asked). I haven't changed there in about a year though.

givengo440
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Super used to match whatever the best going price was (if you asked). I haven't changed there in about a year though.

gdogg where is the Super Super located?

Tiger
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
In Sosua I always use the street guys and have never had a problem. The exchange is always the same and they are always there. I have made friends with a couple of them. The same guys have been there for years.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/848849930c8bea0e4.jpg

Jimmydr
11-10-2009, 02:12 PM
In Sosua I always use the street guys and have never had a problem. The exchange is always the same and they are always there. I have made friends with a couple of them. The same guys have been there for years.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/848849930c8bea0e4.jpg)

They all work out of the store fronts and if you go in, you get a little better.

JD426
11-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/848849930c8bea0e4.jpg)

This is the guy across the street from the ice cream store, Bon's?
He has a good reputation,but as said, hes .20-.30 lower than the storefronts. . Im starting to remember faces.
LOL

Seņor Jimmy of Medellin
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
He has a good reputation,but as said, hes .20-.30 lower than the storefronts. . Im starting to remember faces.
LOL

Thats his commission. Use them after the stores close.

givengo440
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL

LOL my thoughts exactly he also in the evening frequents the corner by JP's

gdogg
11-11-2009, 06:01 AM
gdogg where is the Super Super located?

It's the big liquor store on the corner of the Pedro Clisante and the street where Eddy's and The Romanoff are.

Roy
12-27-2009, 09:23 AM
The storefront right next to Happy Bar during the day is always good. I've used the cambio next to El Flow 100's of times and EVERY TIME they try to give me 35.5 I'd just walk off and they'd immediately change to 36 but I got tired of the "dance" and just moved on.

I also used a couple of colmados on the west end of Alejo Martinez - just around the corner of Caprinia (all night soup place). He has a sign posted 36 or whatever the rate is. He's a brit, and super nice guy.

Of course you can go to Charamicos, but buyer beware for a gringo roaming into that territory walking out of a cambio. Talk about a bullseye target!

swiggy
01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
The storefront right next to Happy Bar during the day is always good. I've used the cambio next to El Flow 100's of times and EVERY TIME they try to give me 35.5 I'd just walk off and they'd immediately change to 36 but I got tired of the "dance" and just moved on.

I also used a couple of colmados on the west end of Alejo Martinez - just around the corner of Caprinia (all night soup place). He has a sign posted 36 or whatever the rate is. He's a brit, and super nice guy.

Of course you can go to Charamicos, but buyer beware for a gringo roaming into that territory walking out of a cambio. Talk about a bullseye target!

First i wanna say your avatar is great.

Charamicos isnt Batey but its basically safe. Ive rented a condo there and driven through on my scooter at night. Even had a problem and had to walk the scooter to the condo with my chica at 3 in the morning in the dark. I wouldnt do that on a regular basis but i never felt threatened and never got a strange look from anyone the whole time i stayed there. I would not be even slightly scared walking out of a cambio in Charamicos, especially the hours they operate... the streets are mobbed anyway at that time. The place that givengo440 said (Caribe Money Exchange) is the only place i used last time. No bullshit games, the sign is posted and all the locals use it. If you walk out of the beach on Charamicos side its basically straight up about 2 or 3 blocks right at the top of the hill you can see it.

Roy
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks man, I made a bunch of derivatives of them. Actually going to make some T-Shirts once I get them refined. It's just the kind of shit I do when I need to be doing something else more constructive.

givengo440
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Charamicos isnt Batey but its basically safe. Ive rented a condo there and driven through on my scooter at night. Even had a problem and had to walk the scooter to the condo with my chica at 3 in the morning in the dark. I wouldnt do that on a regular basis but i never felt threatened and never got a strange look from anyone the whole time i stayed there. I would not be even slightly scared walking out of a cambio in Charamicos, especially the hours they operate... the streets are mobbed anyway at that time. The place that givengo440 said (Caribe Money Exchange) is the only place i used last time. No bullshit games, the sign is posted and all the locals use it. If you walk out of the beach on Charamicos side its basically straight up about 2 or 3 blocks right at the top of the hill you can see it.

I agree on the avatar as well and Charamicos. I've ridden down there in the eve on my bike and played basketball there almost everyday never felt threatened always was aware of my surroundings but never felt funky. Also the Caribe Money Exchange is the main spot but if you are facing it and look to your left there is a lil exchange place (sign is outside) that offers the same exchange. I use that when Caribe is closed or crowded.

swiggy
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree on the avatar as well and Charamicos. I've ridden down there in the eve on my bike and played basketball there almost everyday never felt threatened always was aware of my surroundings but never felt funky. Also the Caribe Money Exchange is the main spot but if you are facing it and look to your left there is a lil exchange place (sign is outside) that offers the same exchange. I use that when Caribe is closed or crowded.

Ive never gotten a second look in Charamicos. One thing I noticed is if you talk to a nice girl in Charamicos she will be more willing to talk to you Than if you tried to talk to her in Batey. Also there is a Girl Ive seen in Batey mostly near Super Super and down closer to Europa. Shes about 5'7" skinny and has a scar on her face, shes dressed slutty half the time. She always tries to make eye contact with me in Batey and shes really vulgar. "Come on Fiki-Fiki, i fuck you good, what you want? i suck your dick good". She lives near the condo i rent sometimes in Charamicos ad she won't even look at me there. One time i purposely got in her face and tried to talk to her and she ignored me. a couple of other putas i recognized kinda ignored me too. Nice girls will speak to you but you have to speak to them first. I pulled a real hot girl from a farmacia who ended up having a German bf who lived in Santo Domingo, she came clean with me when she found out he decided to visit for the weekend.

SeaWeed
01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
all those Hoes have BF one place or another.......and some are even married......

ralphie1
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
all those Hoes have BF one place or another.......and some are even married......

they can have a BF, heck, they can even be married. just dont bring either along when i bang the snot out of her

(while that doesnt matter, also something i dont need to know)

the_Jayman
01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
36ish to 1 right now ? ? ?

Tiger
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
they can have a BF, heck, they can even be married. just dont bring either along when i bang the snot out of her

(while that doesnt matter, also something i dont need to know)

A chica we have known for a couple years was with my wingman last Oct. During the conversation she said she was getting married in Dec. It didn't seem to bother her that she was fucking some gringo just a couple months before her wedding.

Since we will be there in Jan my wingman asked if he could go on the honeymoon with her. lol

Jimmydr
01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
A chica we have known for a couple years was with my wingman last Oct. During the conversation she said she was getting married in Dec. It didn't seem to bother her that she was fucking some gringo just a couple months before her wedding.

Since we will be there in Jan my wingman asked if he could go on the honeymoon with her. lol

My wingman was with a chica last month, she told him that she would be back in a week. She was getting married and the honeymoon would be over by then.

afroski
01-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Are these places good for changing pesos back to dollars also? If so what rate do you get?

Jimmydr
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Are these places good for changing pesos back to dollars also? If so what rate do you get?

You never change it back, save it for the next trip.

swiggy
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
36ish to 1 right now ? ? ?

pretty much

the_Jayman
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
You never change it back, save it for the next trip.

But you can if you keep your receipt I believe . . . .

Jimmydr
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
But you can if you keep your receipt I believe . . . .

I stand corrected. Yes if you have the receipt you can get your cash back but if you don't have the receipt there is a claim form, just PM Jayman for a copy of one.

afroski
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I used the cambio across from the ice cream shop in Sosua and they bought my pesos back at 37 to 1.

mikelodge
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM

This guy asked me multiple times a day down buy the internet place on Rosen past NG until finally after a few days he remembered me and we both laughed.

adios
01-18-2010, 02:10 PM

this guy always woke me up when i had a room nearby the road (New Garden). every morning he yelled "CHANGE CHANGE" :icontd:

will never take THAT room again... :rofl::rofl:

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
this guy always woke me up when i had a room nearby the road (New Garden). every morning he yelled "CHANGE CHANGE" :icontd:

will never take THAT room again... :rofl::rofl:

Yes I have heard a lot about the NOISE Problems at the NG and even Worse at the Sea Breeze where the motos really congregate on the corner.

They should make them have quiet mufflers that noise drives me crazy.

lonesoul
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I think the noise is at EVERY hotel in Sosua. I was in Seabreeze for a week and didnt hear the motos, but I heard the fucking karaoke at Casa Marina at times.... Tourist what ya gonna do, they arent like mongers... All I hear is the ay papi.. gotta luv it

rushdog34
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
idk the noises help put me to sleep.. lol feels live i never left the city

chicmatic
02-25-2010, 03:06 AM
where do people exchange in Santo Domingo?

riclagriclag
02-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Try the local Western Union. I use them when I'm traveling.Good rates!!

Rick
Excuse my spellin!!!!

unclecrook
02-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Whatever you do bring plenty of cash, i like to aviod hassles and just exchange alot at the airport, i know many will argue that you dont get the best exchange rate but you know what i dont care i dont have to worry about it after that so

theheights718
02-25-2010, 06:11 AM
When I was out there it seemed like the supermarket (either the small one across from pj's or the larger one on the main road...I think they are the same name "playero") was the best place...if its 35 and change they give you 36:1...if its 36 and change they give you 37:1...just dont go in there trying to change 500+ US...that will take all the money at the smaller one!
The cambio was 35:1
The bank was 36 and change but then again you have your atm fees so like most said...walk with plenty of cash and then exchange what you need, put the rest in the safe

givengo440
02-25-2010, 08:02 AM
There are a few places chicy baby if you walk past the park and make a left about a quarter of the way up the street on the left right across from the hotel (I forget the name) there is a place like El Flow they have a good exchange rate and there is also a location in a mall located right across from the police station on the Conde. Maybe someone will help me with the name of the Hotel and Street where the police post is located.

JD426
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
The Big Hotels were not too bad with their rate, but the BEST rates are in BOCA Chica, so if you make a day trip to the beach, thats the place to shop for a good rate. There are a bunch of them on the main street in BC so the competition is good. The Banks from my experience did NOT give the best rates, the Little Cambios DID.

Passport Playa
02-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Whatever you do bring plenty of cash, i like to aviod hassles and just exchange alot at the airport, i know many will argue that you dont get the best exchange rate but you know what i dont care i dont have to worry about it after that so

A fool and his money will soon part!

The Mac Man

JD426
02-25-2010, 09:39 AM
A fool and his money will soon part!

The Mac Man

I like to pay the chicas the first price they ask no matter what it is , so I dont have to worry about it . :rofl:

TPdog
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Western Union is always a option. The down side is that you need your passport and I rarely carry my passport.
The street "vendors" are a good option, but know what the going rate is.....I do not haggle over 35.8 vs 36.1 Over the past year or so I have been getting 36 about every where I go...........:)

Mr Hillbilly
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I will give ya 50 cents worth do not exchange money near El Flows the little queer tried to scam me out of 1000 pesos on a 100us last trip good try!

Other thing is the exchanges in Charmicos seem to pay another 50 pesos more on a 100 us exchange rate than street cambio guys.I would not bother for the extra 50 but if you are near Hermans your a short walk straight up the entrance another 100 yards or so on the right there is two exchanges there.

Apos
02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
My take exchanging money in Sosua (cambios):

1. I never use the guys in the streets because there are too many people watching WTF you're doing. Of course anyone watching you enter a caambio also knows what you're there for but not the amount you exchanged.

2. Most of the cambios with a storefront are relatively equal and generally, if you know the current rate, you don't need to shop around unless of course you feel you are getting screwed over. Never been an issue for me.

3. The cambio just past El Flow, heading towards the beach, is well regarded by many locals and expats, but shit can happen anywhere if people think they can get away with it. This goes for virtually anything and any business in the DR.

4. Exiting Rocky's and turning right, just past Super Marcado Carmen is an internet place and a cambio, both owned be the owners of the super marcado and they also give a consistently fair rate.

5. Banks do give a good rate, but are often very slow and you may need ID and unless you have other business there or notice that there is no line it's not worth the wait IMO.

6. Western Union also gives and excellent rate but again they are often slow and you must have your cedula or passport.

7. I would recommend just using the closest storefront cambio to you whenever you need to change money but you really need to be armed with the correct current rate to ensure that you get the best possible rate. There are many other possibilities for changing money but do not often apply to tourists. A little negotiating is expected and accepted but it will likely only get you a very slight raise in the offered rate, weekdays only. It's much more set in stone at night and on weekends. In fact expect to get a little less on the weekends, it's been like that for years.

I hope this helps a little.

Tiger
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM

This is NOT a good thing to do. The rates are always terrible and there are many places to change money.

Do NOT exchange money in the airport.

goinggetstough
03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I've asked this elsewhere but still don't feel too sure. Why not exchange with an ATM? Personal banks generally give a good rate and if the ATM fee is only $3-4 doesn't it make more sense than carrying $500 in cash with you and then storing it in a safe? You can lose the money anywhere along the line and safes are not always safe. All that said, I have often traveled in places with NO safes, so it may be a bias. I know you are paying a 4% premium, but you are guaranteed the going rate and don't need to deal with any money changers. That's just my 2cents, though I am WANTING to be convinced otherwise. I just don't see the benefit yet. As alway, I appreciate everyones thoughts and ample experience.

bklyndrguy
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
i allways bring a bundle of cash with me and change evry day a lil i never had any problam with noone just a lil advice i allways take down the safe key from my room key so if i lost my key noone will have my room number and the safe key and also i allways hide the safe key in the room so i do feel verry safe

papi_sosua
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
+1.

I always bring some cash with me to cover the initial weekend. I typically arrive on a Saturday, and sometimes the ATMs run dry; hence the cash.

After that, I resort to pulling money from ATMs. The one next to the Super Super is best because it allows to withdraw up to RDP 20,000 thus minimizing transaction fees.

I've asked this elsewhere but still don't feel too sure. Why not exchange with an ATM? Personal banks generally give a good rate and if the ATM fee is only $3-4 doesn't it make more sense than carrying $500 in cash with you and then storing it in a safe? You can lose the money anywhere along the line and safes are not always safe. All that said, I have often traveled in places with NO safes, so it may be a bias. I know you are paying a 4% premium, but you are guaranteed the going rate and don't need to deal with any money changers. That's just my 2cents, though I am WANTING to be convinced otherwise. I just don't see the benefit yet. As alway, I appreciate everyones thoughts and ample experience.

yayow
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Living down here, I always get my money from ATM's I haven't seen American dollars in over 2 years now, I feel the ATM's gives good rates. But again my situation is different from most on this board.

LJDMV
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
What fees do they charge Americans per transaction if you take cash from the ATM in Sosua?

Apos
03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Unless it's changed recently it's 40,000rd as long as the limit from your bank on your personal card is that high....just over $1100 USD

I verified this with Banco Progresso some time ago and have withdrawn 40k in one go myself.
+1.

I always bring some cash with me to cover the initial weekend. I typically arrive on a Saturday, and sometimes the ATMs run dry; hence the cash.

After that, I resort to pulling money from ATMs. The one next to the Super Super is best because it allows to withdraw up to RDP 20,000 thus minimizing transaction fees.I pay $5 per transaction but that's a charge from my bank, not the local bank.

What fees do they charge Americans per transaction if you take cash from the ATM in Sosua?

papi_sosua
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
You need to look at the T&C of your bank account.

I typically pull from my European (rather than American) account when in Sosua (Euros rule!) and pay about 5 Euro per transaction.

yayow
03-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Unless it's changed recently it's 40,000rd as long as the limit from your bank on your personal card is that high....just over $1100 USD

I verified this with Banco Progresso some time ago and have withdrawn 40k in one go myself.

Both those things depend on your individual bank in the US or wherever also sometimes depends on the Dominican bank as well, I have a fee deducted every month from my account in NY, so I don't have to pay an extra fee every time I make a withdrawal. Also if you are going to use your card in a foreign country it is best to let your bank know ahead of time, or else they may keep your card, thinking it may have been stolen or compromised in some other way.

As far as daily limits, in the U.S. I can withdraw up to $1,000 dollars per day. The banks I use down in the D.R., generally allows the same thing, I can take up to about 36,000 rd at any given time. But there are some banks in the D.R. that will only allow you to take out a certain amount at a time, you can use it more than one time, and withdraw up to you daily limit, but if your bank charges a fee per transaction, you have to pay that fee each time.

I was surprised on this last trip when I went to Banc Reserva on Pedro Clisante across from Super Super, when I lived there I would go there and withdraw 35,000 pesos at any time, but this trip they had a limit of only I think it was 8,000 pesos per transaction, so had to use it multiple times, when I was withdrawing money for the party. I later found out a couple of different banks on Pedro gave a better limit, Progresso for one, in the same Plaza as Super Super, and then further down the Scotia Bank.

Apos
03-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Good advice. The last 2 days, Monday and Tuesday, the ATM's were out of cash due, in part, to Monday being payday for pretty much everyone. I have 2 friends here that were all but out of funds as they did not bring much cash and could not get any from the banks....ALWAYS bring a few hundred or more to cover things like this.

When I was coming here on vacation I always brought $500 USD or more in cash. Once i arrived I would get funds from the bank and keep the cash in reserve but sometimes that cash had to last a few days due to things like bank holidays and payday. Better safe than broke on vacation! :rolleyes::rofl:
+1.

After that, I resort to pulling money from ATMs. The one next to the Super Super is best because it allows to withdraw up to RDP 20,000 thus minimizing transaction fees.

yayow
03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Good advice. The last 2 days, Monday and Tuesday, the ATM's were out of cash due, in part, to Monday being payday for pretty much everyone. I have 2 friends here that were all but out of funds as they did not bring much cash and could not get any from the banks....ALWAYS bring a few hundred or more to cover things like this.

When I was coming here on vacation I always brought $500 USD or more in cash. Once i arrived I would get funds from the bank and keep the cash in reserve but sometimes that cash had to last a few days due to things like bank holidays and payday. Better safe than broke on vacation! :rolleyes::rofl:

When I lived there, sometimes all the banks in Sosua would run out of funds on the weekends because of all the tourists down there, I found out there is one spot that always seemed to have funds when all others did not. It was the cash machine at the Coastal Gas Station just past the turn-off for Casa Linda, as you are going towards Cabarete, it never failed me in a time of need.

Keep it in the back of your mind in case of an emergency, not to many people know about that one. ;)

goinggetstough
03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I get charged ~$3.50-$4.50 US per transaction. That said, my regular checking account reimburses me $5.00 in ATM transaction fees/month and my online savings account (which I usually use) reimburses me $10.00. For a week long trip, I am basically covered. Both banks also give the best board exchange rates for the 24 hour period. (BTW, my Amex card gives me the best rates for the month). I have NEVER paid a transaction fee to a DR bank.

Also, last time I was in Cabarete I needed to take out a large amount of cash (~14000RD). The ATM had a limit of 5000 RD (it was a Saturday night.) I used the machine three times in a row (5000RD each time). The system wasn't smart enough to know what I was doing. It took a long time - luckily it was in a bank where the ATM was enclosed and lockable. As a bonus, my bank at home recognized this as ONE transactions (they were minutes apart) and I paid the fee only once. I had to fight with the machine a little (there were a few failed attempts), but I got my cash and paid only $4.00 for 15000RD at a rate beating the money changers. As an added bonus, I didn't have to flash all that cash on the street. I hope this trick helps someone else.

As a side note - I always take a few hundred US in cash (stored in my trust money belt - see this post http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=217950&page=2) just in case.
Just a thought - does anyone know of a way to get a few hundred pesetas in the states? I'd love to be able to get out at the airport, jump in a guagua, and deal with ATMs once in Sosua.

Both those things depend on your individual bank in the US or wherever also sometimes depends on the Dominican bank as well, I have a fee deducted every month from my account in NY, so I don't have to pay an extra fee every time I make a withdrawal. Also if you are going to use your card in a foreign country it is best to let your bank know ahead of time, or else they may keep your card, thinking it may have been stolen or compromised in some other way.

As far as daily limits, in the U.S. I can withdraw up to $1,000 dollars per day. The banks I use down in the D.R., generally allows the same thing, I can take up to about 36,000 rd at any given time. But there are some banks in the D.R. that will only allow you to take out a certain amount at a time, you can use it more than one time, and withdraw up to you daily limit, but if your bank charges a fee per transaction, you have to pay that fee each time.

I was surprised on this last trip when I went to Banc Reserva on Pedro Clisante across from Super Super, when I lived there I would go there and withdraw 35,000 pesos at any time, but this trip they had a limit of only I think it was 8,000 pesos per transaction, so had to use it multiple times, when I was withdrawing money for the party. I later found out a couple of different banks on Pedro gave a better limit, Progresso for one, in the same Plaza as Super Super, and then further down the Scotia Bank.

afroski
03-19-2010, 12:21 AM
One thing I've learned is to keep a couple of thousand pesos at the end each trip so that I have some start up money for the next trip. I hate wasting that first evening running around looking for a safe ATM or money changer.

FritoBandito
04-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I go to Banco Vimenca/Western Union. They give you the EXACT going rate at that particular time.

I don't understand why some of you guys get change on the street or go to "change" houses. You're getting shortchanged, that's for SURE!!!!

Mr Hillbilly
04-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Probably cause my time is 200 us dollars per hour

Some fuck heads ran me around Cali to exchange 100 dollars at the maximum rate they saved 5 dollars on the exchange we waited two hoursand the cab driver wanted 20.Ishould have knocked their fucking teeth out for wasting my time.

Nothing in the world pisses me off more than some fuckhead wasting my time I will drown them in Sosua bay first especially over 5 bucks when it costs me 5 k in my time just for being there.

SrSuerte
04-10-2010, 05:22 AM
I have not read the entire thread but I just wanted to share that I went to two different places. The money exchange near Happy bar and the other one near El Flow.

I got my dollars excanged at the one near Happy bar. Later when I wanted to get change for the 2000RD bill and the on near El Flow he looked at it and did not take it. I said that it is real because I got it from the money exchange near happy bar. He told me the take it back there then!

b319
04-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I go to Banco Vimenca/Western Union. They give you the EXACT going rate at that particular time...

Where is this located?

FritoBandito
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
About a block off Pedro Clisante.

Up near the "Checkpoint Bar" or the Mel Tours office with Linda.
Or turn up the street directly before PJs Restaurant (take a left).

PJs restaurant is kitty-corner to the "Happy Bar."

JD426
04-11-2010, 08:13 AM
i got 36.20 last night at the place on pc right near el flow,the street guys held fast at 36 even.

Count
04-11-2010, 09:15 AM
What I like is that the Canadian$ is almost par to the US$ now -- and climbing. It's 36.3 today and could hit 40 by summer. Intend to head back to Sosua mid July; happy to buy all my American friends a drink or two. Cheers!

rookie44
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Last week I got 36.25 at the money exchange place behind the Orange Store in the little plaza. There is a painted blue door you enter.

balcoach
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
HERMANOS....

Just my experience...if you change small amounts... 100 and under, the difference between 36.00 and 36.3 is less than a dollar...but if you deal in larger bulk.. this is what I do, and only information... (as you all know me, do what ever makes you happy)... Look at the rate before you go out to get money.. Www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com) ..... determine what you think is fair , figure the amount you want the change and the amount of pesos you want, and tell the changer, for example, i have $1000 and i need need $36,350 RD for it. Most of the time they will agree with you, as long as your rate is fair for everyone involved. Takes the BS out of the transaction, if they refuse, move on to the next guy.

Also another couple of tips, from my experience....
**get to know and use the same change guy all the time, they will begin to listen to you more for your chosen rate, as well as they get to know you and look out for you, never hurts to have a local on your side (I use a guy, whose name I can never remember, but if you are at the cigar bar on the corner of PC and Rosen, he has the blue toyota corolla..we always go inside his car to do business...i call this his office! he is a rep for the cambio just past el flow/and the clothing store)

**2nd nuggett of knowledge I have found thru my experience, try to avoid changing money on the weekend, because they know you are in "their" market with the banks being closed and the ATM's running out of money, so they now have the advantage and the rate always get lower and firmer.

Just my .02 centavos worth of information...

FritoBandito
04-12-2010, 01:27 AM
What I like is that the Canadian$ is almost par to the US$ now -- and climbing. It's 36.3 today and could hit 40 by summer. Intend to head back to Sosua mid July; happy to buy all my American friends a drink or two. Cheers!

I'm planning on heading back myself in mid-July and I'm American, so you can buy me a drink, please.:cheesygrin:

sporthobbyist
04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
My first trip I did the cardinal sin and exchanged 200 usd at the airport. I knew the rate sucked, but just wanted small bills because I heard that alot of places have no change. So I got 200usd in all 100 and 50 pesos notes. the rest of my money was on street guys. 35-36

Second trip, i used the street guys at first. 36
Then went to the spot at the end of the strip. Across from the flip flop/sandle store.
It was tiny, just a counter and a fan. Bu they gave me 36.20 with no arguing. It is a very good idea to save money and bring it back home for the next trip. You get screwed trying to change it back, so unless you do not plan to go back, just save it.
and like the others have said, it does seem they try to get more on weekends. and that is when I usually arrive. I just checked and I still have almost 20k in pesos, so my third trip will not have to deal with a jacked weekend rate.

KoKi9290
04-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Last week I got 36.25 at the money exchange place behind the Orange Store in the little plaza. There is a painted blue door you enter.

In my experience, this guy gives the best rate once he knows you.

jacknback
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for info everyone.Can you tell me where the Orange Store is with a little more detail please.

KoKi9290
04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks for info everyone.Can you tell me where the Orange Store is with a little more detail please.

It's in the Plaza just past Banco Popular. The Orange store is upfront, just go past it into the back of the plaza and you'll see the door.

givengo440
04-26-2010, 08:26 AM
MY THREAD LIVES ON!!! :)

Corrado
04-26-2010, 09:33 AM
You can get 36.35 to the dollar at the exchange in Plaza Half Moon in Cabarete. On El Conde 36.50......

Passport Playa
04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
You can get 36.35 to the dollar at the exchange in Plaza Half Moon in Cabarete. On El Conde 36.50......

Based upon this intel, I am glad I will be "hitting" the Conde before heading up to "SoSewer".

The Mac Man

LJDMV
05-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Exchange rate is posting at 37.1 again today. Anyone in sosua now getting close to that rate at bank, cambio or Western union?

Monday, May 10, 2010

1 US Dollar = 37.11000 Dominican R. Peso
1 Dominican R. Peso (DOP) = 0.02695 US Dollar (USD)

Median price = 35.85200 / 37.11000 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 35.85200 / 37.11000
Maximum price = 35.85200 / 37.11000

Si_Poppi
05-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Why do you keep on quoting the price to BUY US$ when you are looking to SELL US$ and buy Dominican pesos?

The mid-market rate right now is
Live rates at 2010.05.10 13:23:09 UTC
1.00 USD = 36.2500 DOP

Best rate I know of is at Banco Santa Cruz but make sure you take your passport.

gdogg
05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Why do you keep on quoting the price to BUY US$ when you are looking to SELL US$ and buy Dominican pesos?

The mid-market rate right now is
Live rates at 2010.05.10 13:23:09 UTC
1.00 USD = 36.2500 DOP

Best rate I know of is at Banco Santa Cruz but make sure you take your passport.

Si Poppi is correct! As of 0930 this morning:

Live rates at 2010.05.10 13:30:09 UTC

1.00 USD = 36.2500 DOP
(http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=DOP)1 DOP = 0.0275862 USD

Beads
05-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Current rates on the ground(last week) for the US$ are 36.6 from a reputable cambio or ATM machine. In El Batey they were offering 36.4. Definitely best rates in Western Union office or in Los Charamicos or just use the ATMs 36.6.

deep2001
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
What's the current situation with ATMs in Sosua. A friend of mine was there a couple years ago and told me to be careful. His ATM card was captured by the machine a couple days into the trip and he didn't have access to his cash. Has this happened to any of you? Do they have any ATM where you just swipe your card?

Otherwise I may bring travellers checks.

onetosix
07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Lived in Sosua all last winter and used all the ATM's at different times...never any problems at all. One always has to have their awareness on with what's going on with their surroundings, but there is a lot of unwarranted paranoia that gets tossed around at times.

Seville
07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I have had my card eaten by the ATM. Now I make certain I use it only during bank hours. That way I can go in and get it back; and that has happened to me twice.

deep2001
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I have had my card eaten by the ATM. Now I make certain I use it only during bank hours. That way I can go in and get it back; and that has happened to me twice.

It's reassuring that you can have it returned to you during bank hours. Thanks!

Seville
07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
They will ask for your passport for ID but I think both times I got by with my photocopy passport. Only use ATMs right outside a bank. When they retrieve yours you will be surprised how many cards have been eaten.

Apos
07-16-2010, 11:09 PM
All gringos are considered to be ATM's...just sayin' :D

deep2001
07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
All gringos are considered to be ATM's...just sayin' :D

:rofl: Well put!!

onetosix
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Don't know what happened with getting your cards eaten by the ATM. I have used the ATMs probably hundreds of times with no issues...I do know that if you don't take your card back out of the insertion slot at the right time then the machine will keep it, and yes you can get it back as described above from the bank. Good idea about trying to only use ATMs at a bank location too just in case.

bobdobbs
07-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Few years ago I was with a chica in bed and told her after we finish I need to go to an ATM. Could you tell me where is the closest one?
She said to me "Oh you don't need to get out of bed just give me your Bank Card and PIN number and I will go get the money for you.
I thought to my self "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING!!"
Then I had a great idea. I ran to my wallet gave her my card and told her the PIN number was 9876. Please take out 5000 and keep 2000 for yourself.
She bounced out of bed and I never saw anyone get dressed so fast and run out of the room.
I guess I should have told her the card I gave her was a "Best Buy" gift card with .39 cents on it. :rofl:
Plus she ran out so quick I didn't even get to pay her the 1500 for the TLN :biggrin:

naptime
07-17-2010, 02:22 AM
I use the atm at reserve banca next door/across the street from super super. A block down from seacrets.

I have also used popular over by the old fountain by baileys.

Never an issue with either.

Popular tends to run out of money by late Saturday if there are a lot of grins in town that weekend

gdogg
07-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Few years ago I was with a chica in bed and told her after we finish I need to go to an ATM. Could you tell me where is the closest one?
She said to me "Oh you don't need to get out of bed just give me your Bank Card and PIN number and I will go get the money for you.
Then I had a great idea. I ran to my wallet gave her my card and told her the PIN number was 9876. Please take out 5000 and keep 2000 for yourself.
She bounced out of bed and I never saw anyone get dressed so fast and run out of the room.
I guess I should have told her the card I gave her was a "Best Buy" gift card with .39 cents on it. :rofl:
Plus she ran out so quick I didn't even get to pay her the 1500 for the TLN :biggrin:

So....what happened?

gdogg
07-17-2010, 03:46 AM
I use the atm at reserve banca next door/across the street from super super. A block down from seacrets.

I have also used popular over by the old fountain by baileys.

Never an issue with either.

Popular tends to run out of money by late Saturday if there are a lot of grins in town that weekend

Yep...ATMs running out of money seems to be a bigger problem, especially when big crowds come into town for certain weekends. I've used all of them without any major issues. Once upon a time there was a problem with double charging, but I guess that's been resolved. There was also a fake ATM scam some years back, but I haven't heard about that being an issue in a long time. Like mentioned before, it's ideal to use them during banking hours.

whynotme
07-17-2010, 06:57 AM
i have had two cards eaten at home and had to wait until they opened to get new ones.
when travelling anywhere i try to take enough cash,cash to get thru the entire trip.

in 2005 i spent three weeks in the dr at xmas and was bored so i spent more than usual, so i had to use the atm at the scotia bank the last week and never had a problem

MrHappy
07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Get an extra card, end of story.

continentalmike
07-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Here I was thinking about some good ole Ass-T-Mouth action

That can also be had in Sosua....

whynotme
07-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Get an extra card, end of story.
not sure about the usa but the banks in canada will not give out more than one per account holder. ( i have tried even on my buisness accounts):icontd:

mho
07-17-2010, 09:46 AM
not sure about the usa but the banks in canada will not give out more than one per account holder. ( i have tried even on my buisness accounts):icontd:

Ask again, try someone else (sitting at a desk not a teller) or your personal banker and it should not be a problem.

My bank first refused the second card for my main account, then I talked with one of the people sitting at a desk, no problem.

When I went to open the travel account, I just went to the lady sitting at a desk and she set up the account and automatically gave me two cards.

continentalmike
07-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Sucks but in that case open two accounts and viola two cards

snoozer
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM

I opened a sub account on my main account and was issued another card, different number on the card and you can set up a different PIN number. This way you can go on-line and transfer money (no fee) from one account to another. If the machine eats your card or someone steals it you simply empty that account and no one can get at your money. This was actually suggested to me by my bank manager.

onetosix
07-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I opened a sub account on my main account and was issued another card, different number on the card and you can set up a different PIN number. This way you can go on-line and transfer money (no fee) from one account to another. If the machine eats your card or someone steals it you simply empty that account and no one can get at your money. This was actually suggested to me by my bank manager.

Yes, that is what I have set up for myself. Two separate accounts with different numbers and cards...I can transfer $$ between them at will on line at any time 24/7. Very convenient and easy.

whynotme
07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Sucks but in that case open two accounts and viola two cards
i already have too many accounts at too many different banks:rofl:

but in sosewer i try to use only my scotia bank card at the scotia bank

bobdobbs
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
So....what happened?
Not too much. I just left the hotel and saw her walking down PC the next day.
She gave me a terrible look and I gave her a big goofy grin and kept walking. :biggrin:
She was mumbling something in spanish when I walked by and I don't think it was "have a nice day" :mad:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stevereds
07-30-2010, 12:02 AM
be careful with some of these exchange stores on Pedro.

I went to the one by lation's el flow. And the guy tried to rip me off 600 pesos.
He gave me a rate of 35, instead of 36. I didnt see the calculator. But I could tell he was up to something fishy.
I went back to the cigar corner bar, re-counted, and got the calculator from that bar, and realized what he did.

I went back told him, calmy...He apologized, but her knew, and I knew what he did. I got the right amount back this time.

I wonder how often he pockets 600 pesos, or more, when people exchange?
maybe that's why they are behind a cage? lol

macula
07-30-2010, 05:32 AM

I went to the one by lation's el flow. And the guy tried to rip me off 600 pesos.
He gave me a rate of 35, instead of 36. I didnt see the calculator. But I could tell he was up to something fishy.
I went back to the cigar corner bar, re-counted, and got the calculator from that bar, and realized what he did.

I went back told him, calmy...He apologized, but her knew, and I knew what he did. I got the right amount back this time.

That sounds like where I got my dollars exchanged. He gave me a little over 35 per $1. Considering the airport was only giving roughly 32, I chose not to argue about it being 36. Next time, I'll know better.

JD426
07-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Im glad somone else caught this also.
He tried that exact same thing with me end of May last time around , shortchanging me by 500 pesos, I caught it immed , before he even handed it to me thru the iron gate. and held it up high and showed him. He apologized naturally.
I immed warned everyone in the groups at the NG . Not sure if the guys believed me though, so thanks for confirming I was not crazy.
I still have to use him at night sometimes, but COUNT YOUR money.
They think if you are a little drunk,he will try you, that goes for all of them.
The street guys were giving me 36.50 during the day and the PLayero Supermercado on 5 only 36.70 so it was not even worth the effort to go there.

stevereds
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
yeah, this guy is sneaky. you can barely see thru the metal screen thing. and he hides the calculator too.

other places, show you the calculator, some even give you a print out.

I am glad I caught it. 600 pesos, is several Presidente's and mamajuana shots.

His little bank thing is right by lation's/el flow area.

Be careful... only use him if you must. and ask to see the calculator.

What he did was:
He said the rate at night was 36. not 36.5
He then proceeded to punch in 35X my amount of US dollars.

I thought he punched in 35, but wasnt positive. my math sucks, so when I got to the corner cigar bar, I used their calculator....sure enough he gave me 35 rate.

jonblaze
08-01-2010, 10:44 AM
The only problems I had with the ATM's in Sosua are when they are all down on the weekend for lack of funds. I can never bring myself to bring enough cash on me for my whole trip. I have an eggs in one basket phobia. I know It cost me in the long run. My advice is to always get enough cash from the atm's on Friday, for the whole weekend. That way if your card gets snagged you can get it back because the bank will be open. During my march trip this year there was a guy who lost his card on Saturday evening and he was SOL with 10 bucks to his name for the whole weekend.

psriches
08-01-2010, 11:56 AM
The only problems I had with the ATM's in Sosua are when they are all down on the weekend for lack of funds. I can never bring myself to bring enough cash on me for my whole trip. I have an eggs in one basket phobia. I know It cost me in the long run. My advice is to always get enough cash from the atm's on Friday, for the whole weekend. That way if your card gets snagged you can get it back because the bank will be open. During my march trip this year there was a guy who lost his card on Saturday evening and he was SOL with 10 bucks to his name for the whole weekend.OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

questner
08-01-2010, 10:57 PM
i already have too many accounts at too many different banks:rofl:

but in sosewer i try to use only my scotia bank card at the scotia bank

I don't trust ATM's. Period. I use them everywhere, but never trust them as only source of funds.

I have numerous accounts with RBC and still only one card - security policy - one customer, one card.

Couple of years ago on a Sunday evening I was at the bus station buying tickets with my debit card to cross into NY on my 2 weeks SEA trip. And, my card was cancelled! No calls, on a Sunday, just like that... Just imagine if I'd have planned to withdraw my bahts and pisos from my account, I'd have been royally fucked up. I was screaming to a security guy on the phone like a madman. (one of the locations was compromized so all users likely got their cards cancelled at the same time). I exchanged my card for a new one only when I returned.

Lessons learned: take cash, travellers cheques and multiple cards but ultimately don't trust plastic.

cdstart=Oye%2C%20mami%21&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/domrepflag.jpg&yr=2010&mo=8&da=27&hr=14&mi=13&sc=0&cdend=Que%20rico%21&txtcolor=0xcc00&untilcolor=0xffff

continentalmike
08-02-2010, 02:54 AM
I don't trust ATM's. Period. I use them everywhere, but never trust them as only source of funds.

I have numerous accounts with RBC and still only one card - security policy - one customer, one card.

Couple of years ago on a Sunday evening I was at the bus station buying tickets with my debit card to cross into NY on my 2 weeks SEA trip. And, my card was cancelled! No calls, on a Sunday, just like that... Just imagine if I'd have planned to withdraw my bahts and pisos from my account, I'd have been royally fucked up. I was screaming to a security guy on the phone like a madman. (one of the locations was compromized so all users likely got their cards cancelled at the same time). I exchanged my card for a new one only when I returned.

Lessons learned: take cash, travellers cheques and multiple cards but ultimately don't trust plastic.

cdstart=Oye%2C%20mami%21&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/domrepflag.jpg&yr=2010&mo=8&da=27&hr=14&mi=13&sc=0&cdend=Que%20rico%21&txtcolor=0xcc00&untilcolor=0xffff

Get a new bank or various new banks

MisterPink
08-02-2010, 08:55 AM

I strongly doubt this happened in Sosua without a tiguere @ your door or an empty Presidente over your head, but thanks for the fiction.

tfcm

MrHappy
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I strongly doubt this happened in Sosua without a tiguere @ your door or an empty Presidente over your head, but thanks for the fiction.

tfcm

Where's that doggone embellishment thread....

deep2001
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I was in Sosua from July 18-30. For some reason I couldn't get cash from the Banco Popular ATM. I had to call my bank twice to make sure they didn't have a hold on my account. I don't know what the issued was with Banco Popular, but I never was able to get cash from their machine. I had no problems getting cash from the ATM at the bank down the street from Seacrets.

One thing I did notice is that both ATMs will take your card, read it and then give it back to you before you make any transactions! I guess the banks there wised up!

hugrad95a
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I only exchange 100 at time kinda hard to be shady when its 3650 even.

psriches
08-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I was in Sosua from July 18-30. For some reason I couldn't get cash from the Banco Popular ATM. I had to call my bank twice to make sure they didn't have a hold on my account. I don't know what the issued was with Banco Popular, but I never was able to get cash from their machine. I had no problems getting cash from the ATM at the bank down the street from Seacrets.

One thing I did notice is that both ATMs will take your card, read it and then give it back to you before you make any transactions! I guess the banks there wised up!Same here!

I have a Citibank card and for some reason, the NEW Banco Popular machines won't take the card. I have no problems with the old BP machines or any other bank machine.

shredder
08-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "tempermental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.:confused:

naptime
08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "tempermental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.:confused:

i prefer to use the reserva banc down by seacrets ..

but, whenever i use banco popular.. whether its at the end of pedro by the beach, or in santiago, and at the santiago airport, i always have to select savings instead of checking as well.

weyland
08-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "temperamental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.:confused:
Same applies to my Banco BHD current (checking) account. I have to select "savings" not "checking". Took me weeks to work that one out, I thought they had somehow stored the wrong PIN number for me.

Si_Poppi
10-18-2010, 10:37 AM
yeah, this guy is sneaky. you can barely see thru the metal screen thing. and he hides the calculator too.

other places, show you the calculator, some even give you a print out.

I am glad I caught it. 600 pesos, is several Presidente's and mamajuana shots.

His little bank thing is right by lation's/el flow area.

Be careful... only use him if you must. and ask to see the calculator.

What he did was:
He said the rate at night was 36. not 36.5
He then proceeded to punch in 35X my amount of US dollars.

I thought he punched in 35, but wasnt positive. my math sucks, so when I got to the corner cigar bar, I used their calculator....sure enough he gave me 35 rate.One time I went there and I think I changed an odd amount like $70 and he punched in an extra $10 and gave me 360 extra pesos.
He started out trying to give me 35 instead of 36 so I said fuck him and didn't say a word. :mrgreen::rofl:

Pepp-1
01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Trying to plan a quick trip to Sousa, for my first time. Tentatively arriving on a Friday about 5pm. Just wondering, are there any cambios, banks, or ATMs that are still available between 5pm-6pm on a Friday in Sousa? From what I read lots of money exchanging services run out of money on the weekends. I also believe I read on this thread that its a place just outside the terminals of the airport that gives a descent rate. So has anyone exchanged at this place. From previous travels, I know airports like to stick it to you.

givengo440
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Trying to plan a quick trip to Sousa, for my first time. Tentatively arriving on a Friday about 5pm. Just wondering, are there any cambios, banks, or ATMs that are still available between 5pm-6pm on a Friday in Sousa? From what I read lots of money exchanging services run out of money on the weekends. I also believe I read on this thread that its a place just outside the terminals of the airport that gives a descent rate. So has anyone exchanged at this place. From previous travels, I know airports like to stick it to you.

You'll be fine everything is open until 6 at the very least or you can exchange at the airport. If you have to exchange on the street there is a guy there (grey haired) sits right across from the mini supermarket just before the motorcycle rental place (Left hand side of the street) he gives you a good rate.

JD426
01-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Just go see the guy in the little cubicle DIRECTLY across from the Terra Linda Hotel (easy landmark) , the same one Givengo just described as across from CARMEN MERCADO on Dr Rosen. .. He wont cheat you.. there is a picture of him here (see post #11 ) . Hes the most cosistent guy there and he will remember your face forever.
Also the guys on the corners by Bon Ice Cream would be my second choice. It sounds strange, but the The STREET guys are better than the Cambios. It goes against every instinct you have, but its the truth.. And The airport will completely rip you off, just dont do it.. bring a bunch of singles and fives with you, that will get you by. The cab wants $20 US anyway, so there is nothing for you to buy with Pesos anyway.

Tiger
01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Just go see the guy in the little cubicle DIRECTLY across from the Terra Linda Hotel (easy landmark) , the same one Givengo just described as across from CARMEN MERCADO on Dr Rosen. .. He wont cheat you.. there is a picture of him here (see post #11 ) . Hes the most cosistent guy there and he will remember your face forever.
Also the guys on the corners by Bon Ice Cream would be my second choice. It sounds strange, but the The STREET guys are better than the Cambios. It goes against every instinct you have, but its the truth.. And The airport will completely rip you off, just dont do it.. bring a bunch of singles and fives with you, that will get you by. The cab wants $20 US anyway, so there is nothing for you to buy with Pesos anyway.

I always use the steet guys also.....

swiggy
01-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Ive never had a problem with any street guy. If they dont know you they may try to lowball you a bit , but just tell him what you want and if its the going rate he will give it to you. I try to stay away from the cambio by Sosua Life bar, they are always trying to pull some kind of bullshit. It gets really annoying after the fifth time, but sometimes you just forget to change money or get caught up in some pussy in the daytime and you have to use them at night.

JD426
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
totally Agree Swiggy,
I got along just fine with the streeet guys first time I met them.
I was saying that first timers might be intimidated by the process of handing some stranger $200 or more, for change in the middle of the street.
The thought does run through your mind, if this guy tkles off , WHAT are you gonna do about it? . Absolutely nothing.. But they are not like that, they take their little business very seriously.
I dont think we have heard of a single incident in Sosua where a Street Cambio guy runs away with your money. and this DOES happen in Santo Domingo.. We had it happen to us. Shortchanged by a LOT and the guy was on a MOTO and GONE in 5 seconds .. In sosua this is NOT a concern, and a new guy needs that re assurance that its a safe way to change his money , and that the airport is a 100% ripoff.
I feel like we beat this topic to death, but since were talking about a guys hard earned vacation money, it may be worth repeating as many times as needed.

Pepp-1
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Jd426, Swiggy, Tiger, and Givengo. Your intel along with others is Priceless:iconTU:. I want to start Sousa off on the right foot. I'm going to check out Post 11 again.

Ter319
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
At the airport, as you exit customs walking out to where the taxies are and people are waiting you go to your left in the corner, you will see a bank. The rates are going at the current exchange rate. I also exchanged money on my last trip at the sea breeze hotel, I can't remember his name but he works store front attach to the Sea Breeze hotel.

psriches
01-08-2011, 11:57 PM
CHENGE!!!!!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/42094d29400772531.jpg

Pepp-1
01-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks Ter, that could be a hidden gem. I can change 50-100 bucks at the airport, just in case I may need it. Just downloaded XE money converter to the cellie, so I can keep up with the current rates.

Si_Poppi
01-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I have always found that the street guys are about .5 pesos less than the cambios and I only use them if I need some extra pesos really late.
Banco Santa Cruz is the best place to change money.

swiggy
01-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I have always found that the street guys are about .5 pesos less than the cambios and I only use them if I need some extra pesos really late.
Banco Santa Cruz is the best place to change money.

years ago i got the best rate from the street guys, i would just agree to change 3 or 4 hundred at a time and they easily gave me a bit more than the cambios. i stopped after a while and always used my bank card. now i bring cash and use the card. I always like to have some cash in case the machines are down, and for certain things like hotel rooms cash is preferred.

voltage69
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
In the shopping center where mnm massage and the orange store are.. near the back of the stores along the wall (a few doors to the left of the computer accesory store) are doors.. theres an unmarked door.. you go in that door ..then the guy buzzes you in through the iron rail gate.. he has the best rates.. i think thats where the street guys change their money. someone brought me there the first time i was like wtf.. where are we going.. thought io was going to be killed going through these doors and gates.. but it was legit. i got 37.30 to the dollar in mid january

Festy
05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I received 37.5 for $1 USD a few days ago from the guy across from Terra Linda (under the carport)

kitie carson
05-15-2011, 10:17 PM
When I was there in Jan, I was using an ATM where the Max Withdraw was $4000 RD..

But another member told me of 1 Banks ATM that will let you withdraw $10000 RD..

Does anyone know which bank that is?

Seville
05-15-2011, 10:44 PM
When I was there in Jan, I was using an ATM where the Max Withdraw was $4000 RD..

But another member told me of 1 Banks ATM that will let you withdraw $10000 RD..

There are several. Banco Santa Cruz will allow you to withdraw a total of 32,000 pesos in four 8000 pesos transaction. Next to Super Super you can withdraw 40,000 pesos if your bank will allow it.

Kevy
05-15-2011, 10:45 PM
it is also discussed a bit in this thread

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?1391-10-2004-Current-rate-of-exchange-(Current-Info)

kitie carson
05-15-2011, 11:23 PM
it is also discussed a bit in this thread

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?1391-10-2004-Current-rate-of-exchange-(Current-Info (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?1391-10-2004-Current-rate-of-exchange-%28Current-Info))

Thanks....got it....

chris3746
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
anybody else have a hard time getting money from the machines yesterday??
i think i went to almost every bank machine in sosua and all seemed to be down regardless of bank... just wondering if anyone else was having trouble or if my card is toast??..lol.. i have a back up card if need be but i would prefer not to use it..

any info is appreciated..

cheers

deezl
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
i think i went to almost every bank machine in sosua and all seemed to be down regardless of bank... just wondering if anyone else was having trouble or if my card is toast??..lol.. i have a back up card if need be but i would prefer not to use it..

cheers

'Down' as in not on, not working or out of cash? I've run into a few that had run out of cash by Sunday, but I think there were a lot more tourists in town then as compared to recently.

Also, if you've used the ATMs there before then you can disregard this but I'll mention it anyway - iirc, you have to choose 'savings' (or maybe 'credit'?) when the machines ask what account you're withdrawing from even though debit cards are usually linked to checking accounts only. If you try to withdraw from checking the ATMs just say something like 'this transaction could not be completed' or some such bullshit. It's something they fucked up in translation but every ATM I've used in Sosua had the same issue.

Apos
05-16-2011, 12:38 PM
'Down' as in not on, not working or out of cash? I've run into a few that had run out of cash by Sunday, but I think there were a lot more tourists in town then as compared to recently.

Also, if you've used the ATMs there before then you can disregard this but I'll mention it anyway - iirc, you have to choose 'savings' (or maybe 'credit'?) when the machines ask what account you're withdrawing from even though debit cards are usually linked to checking accounts only. If you try to withdraw from checking the ATMs just say something like 'this transaction could not be completed' or some such bullshit. It's something they fucked up in translation but every ATM I've used in Sosua had the same issue.
My bank was aware of this issue, apparently common in many places in the world, and linked my accounts to both options so either one works.

Sidney
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Progresso, next to Super Liquors allows 20,000, my friend.:lol:

weyland
05-16-2011, 05:28 PM

cheers
OK, yesterday was Sunday so you had no choice, but I suggest you take your card AND PASSPORT inside the bank and draw cash at the teller counter. It's safer in that people are less likely to see you drawing cash and follow you, also safer in case the machine malfunctions and eats your card or fails to pay out, but still charges your account, etc. The other advantage is that you can ask for some of your cash in small change (say 1000 in 100s and 1000 in 50s) as small bills can be hard to come by, resulting in your having to "round up" and overpay.

If there are two queues make sure you get in the one for withdrawals (usually signed "retiros").

bigcowboyzfan11
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
The giftshop at the seabreeze usually gives a deal on exchanging money. 35 or 36 to 1

Irie
06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Question (and maybe it's in the thread already), but am going to be arriving on a Sat and probably not in Sosua until about 4pm. Are the main money exchange places still open, like WU or banks? If so, anyone know what time?

Jimmydr
06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Question (and maybe it's in the thread already), but am going to be arriving on a Sat and probably not in Sosua until about 4pm. Are the main money exchange places still open, like WU or banks? If so, anyone know what time?

They should be open until at least 9PM.

Irie
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
They should be open until at least 9PM.

i usually exchange mid day because I always have some left over from a previous trip. not this time though. :iconTU: gracias.

givengo440
06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Good to see a thread I started live long and help those who need it :o

JD426
06-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm going to steal a line from mr Eastcoast here , hope he doesnt mind..
Next trip report I see where I guy starts off with .
"Landed at POP , Changed some money at the airport Cambio, got $32.50, i know stupid , right "
" IMMMA RUN INTO TRAFFIC"....

WTF is up with that ??

Passport Playa
06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Where would you consider exchanging money if you didn't arrive into POP until 2:30 AM?

Bangkok

JD426
06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Where would you consider exchanging money if you didn't arrive into POP until 2:30 AM?

Bangkok

For a well traveled monger like YOU, I would say you should be bringing back at least 3 mil pesos with you anyway.. I always bring back at least 4 or 5
Newbies, AINT coming in at 2:30 am to POP. thats a recently added flight by the way.
the taxis take $20 us.. You dont need a single peso ,just get to your hotel and use the street changers when you get into town OR better yet, The HOTEL receptionist who ALL give you just 1 peso under the going rate ,not the ripoff rate.

Passport Playa
06-08-2011, 02:48 PM
For a well traveled monger like YOU, I would say you should be bringing back at least 3 mil pesos with you anyway.. I always bring back at least 4 or 5
Newbies, AINT coming in at 2:30 am to POP. thats a recently added flight by the way.
the taxis take $20 us.. You dont need a single peso ,just get to your hotel and use the street changers when you get into town OR better yet, The HOTEL receptionist who ALL give you just 1 peso under the going rate ,not the ripoff rate.

JD:

Thanks for your comments. For the record, I usually do bring foreign currency back home (ie. $180 mil COP's, 2 mil DOP's). I was inquiring for a friend who will fly into POP on the recently added flight. My next trip will be to STI (where the big boys like to play).

Bangkok

JD426
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
JD:

Thanks for your comments. For the record, I usually do bring foreign currency back home (ie. $180 mil COP's, 2 mil DOP's). I was inquiring for a friend who will fly into POP on the recently added flight. My next trip will be to STI (where the big boys like to play).

Bangkok
If hes NYC,, you can evenb get pesos at the Bodegas in Wash Heights, no ?

Irie
06-08-2011, 04:19 PM

excellent advice that i've done each and every time. one thing i didn't consider is if you can exchange for a good rate at a respectable place on a Sunday, so hence my question about a Saturday afternoon arrival.

macula
06-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm going to steal a line from mr Eastcoast here , hope he doesnt mind..
Next trip report I see where I guy starts off with .
"Landed at POP , Changed some money at the airport Cambio, got $32.50, i know stupid , right "
" IMMMA RUN INTO TRAFFIC"....

WTF is up with that ??

My first trip I fucked up and panicked because I wasn't sure where/how soon I'd be able to exchange money once I got in NG (despite the good info on the board). And yes I felt like a fool the moment I hit the strip. :mad:

Irie
06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
My first trip I fucked up and panicked because I wasn't sure where/how soon I'd be able to exchange money once I got in NG (despite the good info on the board). And yes I felt like a fool the moment I hit the strip. :mad:

Ditto for me times two. That was also pre isoc for me. We all live and learn though.

Dave Diaz
06-16-2011, 11:21 PM
The peso rate right now is pretty close to 38. The best place I have exchanged is in charimicos, its right near the highway, you just go down that lil swoop just a little and you'll see it, its like a dominican western union. They exchanged for me at 38 as recent as this passed saturday which was 6/11. You need ID to exchange, they really dont seem to care if your a tourist or not when it comes to the ID thing.

In sosua the best rate I get is from a place right around the corner of Happy's bar. But make sure you go between 9 and 5 when the shift guy is there. He gave me an exchange of 37.90 everyday, even when I checked the internet for the rate and saw it had dropped to around 37.50, he still gave me 37.90. One time he said "same rate as yesterday"and he gave me 37.85 and I was like whoa amigo yesterday was 37.90 and he gave me the rest. I gave him 100 pesos, he didnt have to do all that.

But point about the day shift guy is, when the night shift guy comes he drastically lowers the price from whatever it may be so you'll probably get the 37.50 or so but if you come before 5 you'll get a higher rate. I asked the guy why and he said its because the day shift is paid a salary and the night shift guy is not, he works off commission based instead of both salary and commission like the day shift guy. He said thats why the day shift can afford to give me a better rate than he can.

NEVER change with the guys on the street. I remember I got 35 to 1 in March 2011 because teh bancas were closed so early in the morning and the only one out changing was a street guy.

Also dont buy in supermarkets with cash, you will get a 35 to 1 exchange no matter what the rate is. Im not sure why but I think many establishments that do take dollars make their own conversion rate, which is why I think i'm going to pay everything in pesos from now on.

Hope this information is helpful.

Dave Diaz
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM

The place in charimicos is open until 6pm. And the Bancas in Sosua are open WAYYYY passed 4pm for exchanges. It'll be well into nightfall before all the Bancas in sosua are closed, not that you should wait that long though. But 4pm is a good time.

Goober17
06-17-2011, 08:08 AM
was 38.00 on Tues 14th at Banco Santa Cruz :smile:

balcoach
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
i will say it again
know how much you want to exchange in US and how much you wish to receive, and tell the changer that, if he says no, go to the next guy

but remember when dealing is amounts less than $500 % points don't add up to alot, so consider the value of hassle for yourself.

The best rate, hands down in sosua is at WU, bring your passport, and if you choose to change a stack or more, ask them to call for a better rate.

thats just my 2 pesos worth, but what the hell do i know

Dave Diaz
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
i will say it again
know how much you want to exchange in US and how much you wish to receive, and tell the changer that, if he says no, go to the next guy

but remember when dealing is amounts less than $500 % points don't add up to alot, so consider the value of hassle for yourself.

The best rate, hands down in sosua is at WU, bring your passport, and if you choose to change a stack or more, ask them to call for a better rate.

Great post. That's bound to save members some money, goood to knoww I can just go to the wu that's pretty close by.

JD426
06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Just one correction, The Playero Super Mercado across from Texaco on Rt5, always give a great rate, they do not give you just 35:1 in change, like the smaller stores, they always give more ,like 37.8 if WU is 38.
Also ElBatey is very safe for changing money on the street, the daytime rate is almost the same at 37.7. I dont see what the danger is, has something changed very recently ,? no pun intended. those guys all have a little booth now anyway. They are legit & very controlled. Noone but recognized money changers will make change for you, its not like a Concho guy will offer it to you, they know better, for very obvious reasons.

rushdog34
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
i will say it again

remember on the first day the guys bringing out the calculator in rockys to see how much they were losing.

TNT72
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
remember on the first day the guys bringing out the calculator in rockys to see how much they were losing.

Frickin rediculous!!! They were fussing over pennies!

el toro
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Frickin rediculous!!! They were fussing over pennies!

A few points doesn't make more than a $5-$10 difference unless exchanging at least $1,000. My time and the hastle is worth more than that. Do you drive 15 miles to "save" 2 cents a gallon on gas?

Dave Diaz
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Just one correction, The Playero Super Mercado across from Texaco on Rt5, always give a great rate, they do not give you just 35:1 in change, like the smaller stores, they always give more ,like 37.8 if WU is 38.
Also ElBatey is very safe for changing money on the street, the daytime rate is almost the same at 37.7. I dont see what the danger is, has something changed very recently ,? no pun intended. those guys all have a little booth now anyway. They are legit & very controlled. Noone but recognized money changers will make change for you, its not like a Concho guy will offer it to you, they know better, for very obvious reasons.

I only saw the exchange at the supermarket a little higher up in the direction of cabarete and passed the lil car stop. Thanks for clearing that up about the smaller supermarkets and the bigger ones, its good to know.

On the street my experience is u won't get a good rate if no one else is open. That's the impression I got.

But again thanks for clearing that all up

Irie
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
A few points doesn't make more than a $5-$10 difference unless exchanging at least $1,000. My time and the hastle is worth more than that. Do you drive 15 miles to "save" 2 cents a gallon on gas?

sad but fucking true with some people. unfortunately i know a few. i've tried to drive the concept home, but to no avail. some will never "get it."

b3k
09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
When I pull money in the US with my German Visa card, it's super cheap and better than anything else. My bank charges nothing, the ATM charges maybe 2 $.
I get let's say 500 USD. Then 502 USD are converted in EUR with the official exchange rate of the day or something very close. That's incredible!!!

Is there an ATM at Puerto Plata airport where I can do the same thing (Get RD$ with VISA Debit card)?

el toro
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
When I pull money in the US with my German Visa card, it's super cheap and better than anything else. My bank charges nothing, the ATM charges maybe 2 $.
I get let's say 500 USD. Then 502 USD are converted in EUR with the official exchange rate of the day or something very close. That's incredible!!!

Is there an ATM at Puerto Plata airport where I can do the same thing (Get RD$ with VISA Debit card)?

I learned early on it's best to take the cash with you that you plan to spend to avoid any sort of surcharges from DR banks and ATMs are not easy to get to near some places like Blackbeards.

I don't think there is an ATM in POP airport--remember it's a 3rd world country. ATMs are all over Sosua, but there are places in DR where they're not convenient when you get around other areas.

No Worries
09-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Supermarket was giving 38 last weekend and the WU was 38.5. Most of the cambios were giving 37.50-37.75.

blazaveli
09-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Supermarket was giving 38 last weekend and the WU was 38.5. Most of the cambios were giving 37.50-37.75.

That's a great look.

deezl
09-07-2011, 11:16 PM
I learned early on it's best to take the cash with you that you plan to spend to avoid any sort of surcharges from DR banks and ATMs are not easy to get to near some places like Blackbeards.

I don't think there is an ATM in POP airport--remember it's a 3rd world country. ATMs are all over Sosua, but there are places in DR where they're not convenient when you get around other areas.

I may have been suffering from toto withdrawal, but I'd swear I've seen an ATM outside the airport by the departures area, right near all of the souvenir shops.

blazaveli
09-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I may have been suffering from toto withdrawal, but I'd swear I've seen an ATM outside the airport by the departures area, right near all of the souvenir shops.

You're right. There is an ATM there. Right to the left when you come out of the airport. My brother used it back in May.

DCIronman
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
There are ATMs at every airport in the DR. That's where I get my pesos. You will get the best exchange rate. And I see the fees as a small cost for the safety and convenience of not having to carry around or store large amounts of cash in a developing country.

blazaveli
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
There are ATMs at every airport in the DR. That's where I get my pesos. You will get the best exchange rate. And I see the fees as a small cost for the safety and convenience of not having to carry around or store large amounts of cash in a developing country.

You recall how much the fees are?

el_papi_chew_low
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Recently I was exchanging money in front of Happy Bar and a truck full of police rolled up and walked up behind me with riffles in hand. I didn't see them until they were right behind me because I was in the middle of the transaction. At first I looked at them like WTF cause I thought they were going to ask me to go with them but they just told me to finish my transaction quickly and I complied. They then took the guy that was exchanging my money and a couple of other guys away on the truck. When I saw the guy the next day I asked him what that was about and he told me just the normal police routine of rounding people up and interrogating them about what they are doing and what they've observed going on around town.

Festy
11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
CHENGE!!!!!!

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/42094d29400772531.jpg)

This is the guy that I have used for exchange for the past few years. Unless things have changed he always offered me the better rate than the street or ATMs.

Festy
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
This is the guy that I have used for exchange for the past few years. Unless things have changed he always offered me the better rate than the street or ATMs.

I don't see an update since my last post here from 2011. Is that same guy still running his exchange? I arrive on th 19th and am curious as to his current rate.

TNT72
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't see an update since my last post here from 2011. Is that same guy still running his exchange? I arrive on th 19th and am curious as to his current rate.

He's still there. This past trip, I used the guy that is right beside Rocky's. Never any hassle. He's opened up the smallest office I have ever seen!

Festy
02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
He's still there. This past trip, I used the guy that is right beside Rocky's. Never any hassle. He's opened up the smallest office I have ever seen!

is it that little shack next to the carport? a little valet shack. Sells Viagra too.

TNT72
02-09-2013, 03:21 PM
is it that little shack next to the carport? a little valet shack. Sells Viagra too.

No. That is the chenge guy you are talking about.

This guy is between Rocky's and Pedro Clisante.

BrooklynBeas
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM

That's the guy I have exchanged with for the last 10 years or so... Even when I took a few years off, the first time I was back, he remembered me like I was there yesterday... He also has a moto friend who hangs with him sometimes and being that he knows me and is cool with me, if I have to go somewhere that may be a distance longer then the average, I get a great, "close to Dominican" rate... The moto guy has a little stomach on him and a whole lot of hair, so if your a big guy like me, it may be a little too close for comfort lol... But I rather be safe and not get robbed of a few pesos by a moto-thief... This past trip, I needed to make some room in the suitcase for cigs and a bottle of Barcelo Gran Anejo, so I decided I was gonna leave behind my old undies and socks to save on some weight lol... I walked up to the moto guy with two shopping bags full of dirty draws and socks, told him he needs to wash them first, but they were all his if he wanted them. I don't think I was ever thanked as much for anything as much as he thanked me for my soiled Fruit Of The Loom and Hanes undies... lol

P.S. When every change guy was giving 40-1 last month, this guy gave me 40.25 for my whole trip, even on weekends and even on MLK day, which was a different Dominican holiday and the banks were closed...

givengo440
02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
My baby lives on! Jimmy now restore me to green :rofl: j/k

sporthobbyist
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
The cambio guys seemed pretty hard up this past trip. First time was 40.25, without any effort. then the guys would work later and later every night. Right at the Bon Ice Cream intersection.
I needed cambio and this time got 40.50! considering the official rate was 40.60, I think that is as good as it gets.

Festy
02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
The cambio guys seemed pretty hard up this past trip. First time was 40.25, without any effort. then the guys would work later and later every night. Right at the Bon Ice Cream intersection.
I needed cambio and this time got 40.50! considering the official rate was 40.60, I think that is as good as it gets.

4050-4060 pesos per $100 USD is awesome. Anyone getting more? I am arriving on Tuesday. Thanks for the information. VERY HELPFUL!!!

Seņor JDR of Medellin
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM
4050-4060 pesos per $100 USD is awesome. Anyone getting more? I am arriving on Tuesday. Thanks for the information. VERY HELPFUL!!!

I got 3,950 last month from paypal.

Festy
02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
4000 pesos for $100 USD across from Terra Linda. Haven't made it down to the other spot yet.

Festy
08-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Been a while since this thread was updated. Made ATM withdrawal today at the plaza on Clisante. Broke it down and rate was $39.43 (with ATM fee included in breakdown). Hotel Europa gave me 41.50 yesterday as did the guy Rick recommends with the booth next to Rocky's.

MisterPink
08-04-2013, 09:53 AM
AVOID the cocksucker to the left of El Flow after 5PM, he shortchanged my boy over RD1000 Pesos.
He then played dumb when I whipped out the calculator in his face and said donde esta mi dinero?
This booth is fine in the day when the owner is there with glasses, otherwise stay away from this prick.

The best two rates in Sosua are Banco Santa Cruz, and Banco Provinciales, both pay 42 or close to it this week.
You will need a copy of your passport @ both of these places.

Mapeo, the flaco, balding 40ish guy, on the street also pays close to 42, and will never shortchange you, he is on the beach in the daytime walking around.
He will come to your location for larger transactions.

voltage69
08-04-2013, 10:12 AM
sigh.. no one takes my advice about going to the place behind the orange shop.

snoozer
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
This place is used by a lot of the local businesses, should tell you something. Right next door to M and M Massage.

Moretti
08-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, have used this place for a couple of years. It was recommended by Warren, formerly of New Garden, rest his soul.

Majicman
08-04-2013, 11:40 AM

I happily took your advice on my last trip and will be going there from now on. Thanks! I guess if I really want to thank the board, I need to post a TR. Problem is my dumbass didn't take any pics so I think the story would be boring.

Majicman
08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
AVOID the cocksucker to the left of El Flow after 5PM, he shortchanged my boy over RD1000 Pesos.
He then played dumb when I whipped out the calculator in his face and said donde esta mi dinero?
This booth is fine in the day when the owner is there with glasses, otherwise stay away from this prick.

I dealt with this dude on a last minute basis a few trips back and he tried to get me too. He only does it because he can get away with it when dudes either dont ask for the rate up front or dont bother to count the pesos (you will notice he does not count the pesos out for you like other cambios) or both. Remember fellas although you might not be worried about a peso here or there, its still money and you need to take the same care, if not more as you do with transactions while you're in the US. The pesos you lose to a clown like this could be an extra presidente, pesos to lose I mean gamble in the casino, or in the case of CW's wing at 1000 per clip, that could be another session! I'm sure we'd all rather el dinero go into la cartera de la mujer linda instead of el bosillo del maricon.

j_d66
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I use the place on Duarte near Pedro Clisante. The guy seems to give a consistent rate in line with the banks.
I did however notice the Dominican gets a little better rate than the Gringo does.

One night I noticed on the slip of the Dominican gentleman in front of me that he got 41.90.
I got 41.80

Now maybe it is because this man does alot of business with him or maybe it was because I was a gringo.
Either way it is not enough to make a stink about imho.

The next day he gave me 41.90 :D

Always got 41.50-41.90 each time so I felt he was consistent.

Also during this time (12 days) I went to the guy right next to Sosua Suites on the corner. I have always felt like he deals fairly but he was only giving 41.00 that night. Seems a little low to me although I did not call him out on it, I probably should have but I did not use him again during the trip. He has seen me many times in town and I have used him before.

minkyboodle
08-04-2013, 07:12 PM
So nice that this thread going and up to date.
Does anyone have an address on Banco Santa Cruz and Banco Provinciales?
Up to date intel like this is good stuff to know! Thanks
Scott

MisterPink
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM
So nice that this thread going and up to date.
Does anyone have an address on Banco Santa Cruz and Banco Provinciales?
Up to date intel like this is good stuff to know! Thanks
Scott

B.S.C. - on the right heading towards the former Passions diagonal from Super Super Liquor store
Banco Provinciales (green sign) is a few doors down from Maora Mai near Rx Store and Patrick's Silversmithy, right near the ramp to enter the beach.

BOTH require a passport (copy), and pay highest rate in Sosua, and it is posted on the sign.

Seville
08-05-2013, 08:57 AM
B.S.C. - on the right heading towards the former Passions diagonal from Super Super Liquor store
Banco Provinciales (green sign) is a few doors down from Maora Mai near Rx Store and Patrick's Silversmithy, right near the ramp to enter the beach.

BOTH require a passport (copy), and pay highest rate in Sosua, and it is posted on the sign.

Banco Santa Cruz tends to lag behind in raising their exchange rate. I can't ever remember anyone getting a better rate than at Western Union. Copy of your passport required.

JD426
08-05-2013, 10:00 AM

The best two rates in Sosua are Banco Santa Cruz, and Banco Provinciales, both pay 42 or close to it this week.
You will need a copy of your passport @ both of these places.

Mapeo, the flaco, balding 40ish guy, on the street also pays close to 42, and will never shortchange you, he is on the beach in the daytime walking around.
He will come to your location for larger transactions.

This guy has been talked about at least 5 times before.... he usually tries for 500 pesos... doesnt matter what time of day or night. He is a CROOK.. its probably in this thread right here .. Im surprised you went there.
If you walk away from the cage without counting in his face , he gets away with it. He truly belongs in the hall of shame for PUTAS, cause he is one.

MisterPink
08-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Banco Santa Cruz tends to lag behind in raising their exchange rate. I can't ever remember anyone getting a better rate than at Western Union. Copy of your passport required.

You will not find a higher rate than Banco Provinciales, the cute little banker girl dared me to, and said if I did, she will match it!
They need USD and are willing to pay up for them.
If Mapeo buys RD Pesos there, you know it's the best rate on the street.

MisterPink
08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
He is a CROOK.. its probably in this thread right here .. Im surprised you went there.

My boy needed a quick Peso fix for a chica, I watched him count in front of the Puto, and he came up short @ 4000!
He knew we bagged him, I would not look at the POS, he promptly handed over an RD 1000 Peso note.
I will make sure NOBODY uses this scumbag.

Mr. Smooth
08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have problems with exchanging $100 bills that are of a particular series, whether in the banks, the cambios or the street guys? In Thailand, the exchanges would not accept bills from a 1996, 1998 or 2001 series, and maybe 2003 if I recall. Basically, they all wanted newer $100's to exchange. I had to keep the older ones in my safe the whole trip. I wound up having to go the ATM route the last week or so.

I went to my bank this past weekend to withdraw some money for this upcoming trip and requested as many newer bills as possible.

Since I need to go to that Orange shop to get a new sim card for my phone, I'll just stop by that exchange place while there to get my pesos. Thanks for the heads up.

porno frank
08-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Does the money changers exchange travelors checks?

MisterPink
08-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Leave those home, they are worthless.

MrHappy
08-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Do they still exist? I thought they went the way of S & H green stamps.

SeaWeed
08-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Do they still exist? I thought they went the way of S & H green stamps.
they sure have......heard a bank manager here recently say that they only sold a few Travelers Checks all this year.....

Corrado
08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
sigh.. no one takes my advice about going to the place behind the orange shop. You my friend are giving very good advice. As someone pointed out the local businesses use them. If you have large amounts to change ($2,000 and up), you will get a rate much better than any of the banks or Western Union can offer. For most I know its not worth it but if you are a baller........ it can put quite a few more pesos in your pocket.

JD426
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
You my friend are giving very good advice. As someone pointed out the local businesses use them. If you have large amounts to change ($2,000 and up), you will get a rate much better than any of the banks or Western Union can offer. For most I know its not worth it but if you are a baller........ it can put quite a few more pesos in your pocket.

Please excuse my ignorance,, but whats the name of this place ? I thought Banco Popular was right there ?

Reachind $2000 should not be too hard to do, if guys pool their money, if everyone benefits from it how can you go wrong.. Is the $2K minimun a requirement to get the higher rate ?
Got to admit, I have never heard of this place before either..

I thought you meant the B P bank there.. maybe others did as well , or is this a different spot ?

voltage69
08-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Theres no name its just a door. just walk to orange but instead of going in the front door of the orange shop.. go to the right into the little plaza thats there.. theres a seamstress shop and massage place to the right in the plaza. but go to the left.. or ask the massage girls where the cambio is. if theres no massage girls there at the time, just look to the left (with your back toward orange once you are in the plaza) you'll see the open plaza ends and becomes a hallway with a few more businesses. Exactly where the hallway starts there are 2 doors side by side. its the second door.. just walk in. I believe this is the place where the street guys change their dollars.

voltage69
08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
oh.. and no its not banco popular.. banco popular is to the right of orange but you have to cross the street.. this change place is in the same actual gated in area that orange is in.

voltage69
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Ok.. here goes.. best i can do. everything is marked, even the route to get to the doorway of the change place when you come down the street and pass banco popular.
The fine red line is walking through the plaza behind orange.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81185&d=1375817704

Festy
08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
42.15 today at Banco Providencial near the entrance to the beach on Pedro Clisante. No passport needed. In and out in a couple minutes....a/c while waiting was great after walking the beach today.

Majicman
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok.. here goes.. best i can do. everything is marked, even the route to get to the doorway of the change place when you come down the street and pass banco popular.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81185&d=1375817704)

And if you still cant find it, do what I did and walk into any of the businesses in that plaza and ask for the cambio. They all know where it is and wont mind showing you.

snoozer
08-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Theres no name its just a door. just walk to orange but instead of going in the front door of the orange shop.. go to the right into the little plaza thats there.. theres a seamstress shop and massage place to the right in the plaza. but go to the left.. or ask the massage girls where the cambio is. if theres no massage girls there at the time, just look to the left (with your back toward orange once you are in the plaza) you'll see the open plaza ends and becomes a hallway with a few more businesses. Exactly where the hallway starts there are 2 doors side by side. its the second door.. just walk in. I believe this is the place where the street guys change their dollars.
Look for the sign for M and M Massage, the cambio is right next door.

MisterPink
08-06-2013, 08:35 PM
42.15 today at Banco Providencial near the entrance to the beach on Pedro Clisante. No passport needed. In and out in a couple minutes....a/c while waiting was great after walking the beach today.

The highest rate on the North Coast, they will pay even higher for a pile of USD.
Great A/C and a cute chic @ the desk that speaks Inglee.

TNT72
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81185&d=1375817704)

Just past the cambio door, is the phone guy that I go to if the Germans on PC can't get it done. He unlocked a droid for me in January. Then spent a day and a half trying to unlock my next one (I dropped the first one) in June. Very reasonable for the first one. Didn't charge me for the second time.

Irie
08-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Just past the cambio door, is the phone guy that I go to if the Germans on PC can't get it done. He unlocked a droid for me in January. Then spent a day and a half trying to unlock my next one (I dropped the first one) in June. Very reasonable for the first one. Didn't charge me for the second time.

El Rey turned me on to the shack across the street from Baileys this trip. I finally got my old iPhone (3?) unlocked for 400RD. It took an afternoon of them messing with it, but well worth it imo.

(screw that antiquated texting crap!):biggrin:

voltage69
08-07-2013, 02:38 PM
yeah that phone guy is good. had a blackberry that had no sound on the headphones and he fixed it.. changed the amplifier chip inside it. i think it was like 20 bucks or so to fix it.

SeaWeed
08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
easiest and cheapest cellies to unlock are LG's.....Blackberry's.......and Iphones are pretty easy too........
done over three dozen of my own cellies this year alone....just stay away from Nokia's...they are a problem and costly usually
unlocking GSM cellies from Tmobile and AT&T are the easiest....Verizon GSM cellies can be done too....
PM if you need help unlocking.....u just need the 15 numeric IME number(*#06#)...Carrier.....Make & Model...
then find an unlocking website to go to.......there are a ton......some as low as a buck.....
they will give you the code that matches up with your IME number on your cellie within 12 hours usually....
you have ten times to enter it correctly before you brick up the cellie.......
you'll get it the first time though unless you have a hard time with that cellie......then maybe twice
LG's you usually have to enter the code twice.........some older and cheap cellies you don't need a code to unlock the cellie......
like the samsungs....some cellies aren't even locked........
so always check first with your active foreign sim card to see if the phone is unlocked.......
there are other ways to find out if a cellie is locked....
but I have done enuff thread jacking and not gonna explain all da different ways.....lol

MisterPink
08-07-2013, 08:07 PM
easiest and cheapest cellies to unlock are LG's.....Blackberry's.......and Iphones are pretty easy too........

How does a thread about "Sosua Money Exchange" get de-railed to a "Cell Phone Unlocking thread", you lost me here!

Apos
08-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Bienvenidos a ISOC....this is how we do tings here! :p

How does a thread about "Sosua Money Exchange" get de-railed to a "Cell Phone Unlocking thread", you lost me here!

TNT72
08-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Well. all everyone was talking about, was getting change. How boring!! Jesh, lets spice it up with some phone talk!:rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Citynights
08-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Well. all everyone was talking about, was getting change. How boring!! Jesh, lets spice it up with some phone talk!:rolleyes:

show us some of your whats up phone pics.....

Pac-Man
08-08-2013, 01:09 AM

Simple. The trick to great gumbo lies in how the roux is prepared. What was this thread about again?

MrHappy
08-08-2013, 08:26 AM

It's all TNT's fault in post 217. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-08-2013, 09:20 AM
show us some of your whats up phone pics.....

If I did that, then this thread would get moved into the pay section and everyone wouldn't get all this great info on where to change their money (and where to get their phone fixed).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-08-2013, 09:22 AM
It's all TNT's fault in post 217. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know what this thread could use?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsUf_oIgp0

theheights718
08-08-2013, 12:11 PM

Someone say CHENGE???????
81339:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Mr. Smooth
08-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Simple. The trick to great gumbo lies in how the roux is prepared. What was this thread about again?

Man....there's this little joint just off the French Quarter, across from Canal. The gumbo in there is awesome! Throw in a nice pint of Abita Amber and I'm telling you that there ain't nothing better........

Ah hell, I got a plane to catch. Change place in the plaza behind Orange. Next to M@M's. Got it!

And with that, I'm outta here.....

the_Jayman
06-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Bump

1 week from Tuesday ...

JDR
06-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Bump

1 week from Tuesday ...

Pictures and stories and more stories.

j.rac
06-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Pictures and stories and more stories.
Trip coming up July 2-11 can't wait ,, do I exchange some at airport or wait until get into town ? And where is current best place ? How much will taxi be from pop to sosua ?💲

quietcorner911
06-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Trip coming up July 2-11 can't wait ,, do I exchange some at airport or wait until get into town ? And where is current best place ? How much will taxi be from pop to sosua ?💲Don't change money at the airport,they will screw you. The best place to exchange money is the guy in the Orange plaza,the second best is Western Union but you need your passport. The taxi mafia will try to get $30. out of you but only offer $25. Some guys used to do it for $20. but I don't think you will find any takers,a member might have the name of someone that will do it for $20.,I haven't taken a taxi in quite a while so I don't know anyone.

distantvoyeur
06-11-2016, 11:56 PM
You can also use a photocopy of your passport ID page. Done that several times, keep the original in the safe!

Don't change money at the airport,they will screw you. The best place to exchange money is the guy in the Orange plaza,the second best is Western Union but you need your passport. The taxi mafia will try to get $30. out of you but only offer $25. Some guys used to do it for $20. but I don't think you will find any takers,a member might have the name of someone that will do it for $20.,I haven't taken a taxi in quite a while so I don't know anyone.

the_Jayman
06-17-2016, 07:04 PM
What are they giving? 45? 46? 54? :mrgreen: 42? :mad:

j_d66
06-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Trip coming up July 2-11 can't wait ,, do I exchange some at airport or wait until get into town ? And where is current best place ? How much will taxi be from pop to sosua ?💲

Where are you staying?

Some places have a deal with a driver to pick you up and will save you a few bucks

Otherwise expect it to be about $25

There will likely be others on your plane headed to Sosua as well you might try and split a cab with one of them.

They are pretty easy to spot. :corky:

Irie
06-17-2016, 07:13 PM

45.75 on the street last week. Probably 33.25 at the airport. :rofl:

j_d66
06-17-2016, 07:14 PM

According to Xe Currency the market is 45.93 today so you should be able to find at least 45 RD at a minimum and probably closer to 45.50-45.75 pretty easy

Jimmydr
06-17-2016, 07:15 PM
According to Xe Currency the market is 45.93 today so you should be able to find at least 45 RD

Never understand the big deal when so many guys are throwing 3,000 -4,000 at these chicas.

j_d66
06-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Never understand the big deal when so many guys are throwing 3,000 -4,000 at these chicas.

Ha ha good point

Since you rarely see a conversion rate posted except in the banks I use it to make sure they are fairly close to the rate they should be at.

Afterall they might try and take advantage if you don't know what it should be. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just make sure they are close to market rate, don't short me on the exchange and don't give me any 2,000 RD notes

Much different in Thailand where the rate is always posted and often changes throughout the day.

If you are truly rate conscious than a schwab card is probably the best bet since you will get market rates all of the time and no big notes have ever come out of an atm for me. But I have found one or two atm's in Sosua where the Schwab card does not seem to work but most of them do.

the_Jayman
06-17-2016, 07:31 PM
There will likely be others on your plane headed to Sosua as well you might try and split a cab with one of them.

They are pretty easy to spot. :corky:

Yes we are .... I always survey the plane and end up chattin with fellow mongers the entire flight . . . :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jimmydr
06-17-2016, 09:28 PM
If you are truly rate conscious than a schwab card is probably the best bet since you will get market rates all of the time and no big notes have ever come out of an atm for me. But I have found one or two atm's in Sosua where the Schwab card does not seem to work but most of them do.

There was about 8 machines if not more in Sosua.

psriches
06-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Never understand the big deal when so many guys are throwing 3,000 -4,000 at these chicas.At worse, we're talking about a $1 difference for every $100 exchanged, between good and bad rates. But I think for mongers, it's just the principle of the thing. We don't mind being cheated a little on the pussy. But the restaurant bill is a different story!!

Jimmydr
06-18-2016, 09:00 AM
At worse, we're talking about a $1 difference for every $100 exchanged, between good and bad rates. But I think for mongers, it's just the principle of the thing. We don't mind being cheated a little on the pussy. But the restaurant bill is a different story!!

Guys want 45 rather than 44.5

BUT

will pay 3,000 vs 2,500

500 times ten sessions is a ton of pesos:corky:

the_Jayman
06-18-2016, 10:54 AM
We don't mind being cheated a little on the pussy. But the restaurant bill is a different story!!

Too funny but oh so true !!! Well said !!!

CentralNJDude
06-18-2016, 08:35 PM
At worse, we're talking about a $1 difference for every $100 exchanged, between good and bad rates. But I think for mongers, it's just the principle of the thing. We don't mind being cheated a little on the pussy. But the restaurant bill is a different story!!

Pussy exchange rates are subjective, bills and cambios are hard numbers and objective.. :biggrin:

Jimmydr
06-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Pussy exchange rates are subjective, bills and cambios are hard numbers and objective.. :biggrin:

Coming with $1,000 and getting 45,000 vs 44,500 is only 500 pesos less.

Spending 3,000 a TLN for 10 nights is 30,000 vs 2,500 is 25,000.

Overpaying 5,000 is no problem but 500 less is:smile::mrgreen::lol::wink::corky: