PDA

View Full Version : Budget at POP

milone
06-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Anybody have any experience renting a car from the Budget Rent-a-car office in POP?

Their rates look amazing - less than $150 a week, including the fees!!!

Also - how do you say 'spare tire' and 'jack' in spanish?

TIA,
MrNat

Jimmydr
06-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Anybody have any experience renting a car from the Budget Rent-a-car office in POP?

TIA,
MrNat

You must look in the trunk, and show them what they gave you won't work.

whynotme
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM

TIA,
MrNat
thats a great rate
they want $50/day in sousa
post their website if you have it.
going down again as soon as i can get things set up here and want a car again (rented marcos olds at new years 20/day)

milone
06-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I just got it off the regular Orbitz car search: http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewCarResults?z=8902&r=2n

guttaman
06-24-2006, 05:58 PM
I have heard of the bait and switch routine at the rental companies. If you book on line bring a copy of all the prices quoted. i think a few people have got the $150 deal that turned out to be a total of $284 mas o menos.

Bug Boy
06-24-2006, 06:22 PM

What about insurance?

milone
06-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Liability is an extra $50 a week. I get collision & comprehensive on my credit card.

Rocky
06-24-2006, 07:32 PM
People have told me that they have paid 22 bucks/day, renting from the airport, for a late model Nissan Sentra.
I asked about insurance, and they said it was included, although I don't know what deductible there was.
Still, the price is excellent and the car's not bad, either, so it would make sense, that they are offering a $150 US/week deal.
Remember to drive according to the rules here, which is no rules at all.

moshy2k
06-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Mrnatural,

I have used Budget at POP airport least 4 times on my trips to the promised land. You can book your reservation online at budget.com. Print out your reservation with confirmation number and take it with you. I only had 1 problem with their cars. Once the car didn't have a CD player so I brought the car back the next day and they gave me another car. All their cars have been very new (maybe a year or 2 old).

As far as insurance check to see if your credit card will insure you rental. I use AMEX gold and hey charge me 1 time charge of $20 and they cover 100% of the rental car in case of accident. Keep in mind that most insurance coverage you get from credit cards ONLY covers YOUR car. So the only decision I need to make is if I want the additional coverage to cover the other guys car in case of an accident.

So I usually rent for about $80 then waive the liability coverage as my AMEX covers my car. I add the additional ins $8 a day to cover anyones car I hit cause I don't wanna deal with that BS.

I hope you can follow that...

milone
06-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do.

BrooklynBeas
06-24-2006, 11:22 PM
i rented a Sentra from Alamo at STI airport for $100 plus fees for 4 days... It was $126... You can get a compact car for a few bucks less and if they are out of them then they give u the sentra... Definitely book it online and use ur card... I didnt get any extra insurance...

BrooklynBeas
06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
and u dont have to worry about how to say spare tire or jack... The people at the car rental speak english very well... By the way Goma is tire... pronounced just how i spelled it... Go-Ma... Which actually translates to rubber... but its a tire too... Have fun Santa! :)

milone
06-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanx Beas!!

I'll probably see you there Thanksgiving.

bentwire
06-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Spare tire=====neumático de repuesto
Car lift, jack, magic elevation of your car===elevación del coche

Rocky
06-25-2006, 04:38 AM
By the way Goma is tire... pronounced just how i spelled it... Go-Ma... Which actually translates to rubber.. You got that right.
If you go to a pharmacy asking for gomas, you would get condoms.
If you go to the office supply store, they would give you rubber bands.
At the car parts dealer, you would get tires.

Rocky
06-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Spare tire=====neumático de repuesto
Car lift, jack, magic elevation of your car===elevación del coche
To be practical around the Sosua area, "repuesto" would be better understood for a spare tire and "gato" for a jack.
Some more educated people may understand the translations you used, but many will not.
They have their own little language around here.

guttaman
06-25-2006, 07:26 AM
OK, i see what car you are talking about. It is the Fiat Palio. To be honest i can not drive a standard and value my life too much to be driving a sardine can in the DR. But then again ask Jayman how i drive and he will tell you i need a Jeepeta. I do the airport run in about 7 minutes with traffic. I rented a Toyota Corolla before and had 6 flats in 10 days. When you get a flat the best place to get it fixxed in Sosua is the shop just past the Texico going towards Cabarette on the left. I think it was 50 or 60 pesos if the rim is not fucked up also.

Pana
06-25-2006, 09:38 AM
OK, i see what car you are talking about. It is the Fiat Palio. To be honest i can not drive a standard and value my life too much to be driving a sardine can in the DR.
The Fiat Palio is good if you are just going to be in one area driving but around the country forget about it :thumbsdown2:. Like gutterman I always drive a jeepeta you will never see me drive a regular car in the DR with all the pot-holes and sink-holes in the streets, I remember I went to Jarabacoa 2 years ago there must of been a 2 mile radius of a street full of pot-holes and sink-holes lucky I had a jeepeta because a regular car would of never made it through those streets.

milone
06-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not really planning to go that far afield, mainly just from BB to Bohen and/or Cristal's. I'll probably head into Sosua about 4 or 5 times during the week, and maybe a trip to Cabarete. I figure I'll be fine as long as I can avoid most of the potholes on the road from Puerto Plata to Sosua - I've been on it enuf times to know where most of them are.

And I've been driving a stick for almost 40 years, so that's not an issue. Automatic was only about 20 bucks more, but it looks like that Fiat has only got a 1.1 liter engine, so it's probably a total dog with the automatic.

tampabukkake
06-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I have used them before. The $148.00 rate is for a Fiat Polo.... not bad but stay on the main roads. Some words of caution

Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ... and you will get a free stay at Casa Miraflores.... That is the Green Building to the left of the Playero (POLICE STATION). I know this for a fact as I have bailed out 3 people so far! Now your credit card and insurance company will probably reimburse you

So if you rent from Budget buy insurance or rent from someone that includes insurance

Also, when renting from Budget be patient... the rental process takes about an hour and so does the return. When you bring the car back I seem to always get hit with a gas charge (3/4 out 5/8 in) EXPENSIVE

Also if you rent for the week that is 7 days don t try to bring it back in 6 days or you get the daily rate

Now... you can stand there and argue about how you read the gas gauge or 6 days and 3 hours is 7 days... but if you are like me you get to the airport rarely enough time to make your flight!

For me Budget doesn t work out so well. I like Jeepeta and Budget is way over priced.

I personally rent from Adventure Rent Car (Jason or Gipsy) I get a Jeepeta for 45 to 50 a day including Insurance. They have an Office at POP and STI with no drop off charges. They deliver the car to you if you want. If you break down they dispatch another car ASAP. Happened to me on the Moca road

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ...

If you rent from a major car rental (Budget, Alamo, National, Hertz) they won't honor the insurance? Can't you request something in writing in advance that the rental agency will honor the CC Insurance?

gmalet
06-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I have used them before. The $148.00 rate is for a Fiat Polo.... not bad but stay on the main roads. Some words of caution

Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ... and you will get a free stay at Casa Miraflores.... That is the Green Building to the left of the Playero (POLICE STATION). I know this for a fact as I have bailed out 3 people so far! Now your credit card and insurance company will probably reimburse you

So if you rent from Budget buy insurance or rent from someone that includes insurance

Also, when renting from Budget be patient... the rental process takes about an hour and so does the return. When you bring the car back I seem to always get hit with a gas charge (3/4 out 5/8 in) EXPENSIVE

Also if you rent for the week that is 7 days don t try to bring it back in 6 days or you get the daily rate

Now... you can stand there and argue about how you read the gas gauge or 6 days and 3 hours is 7 days... but if you are like me you get to the airport rarely enough time to make your flight!

For me Budget doesn t work out so well. I like Jeepeta and Budget is way over priced.

I personally rent from Adventure Rent Car (Jason or Gipsy) I get a Jeepeta for 45 to 50 a day including Insurance. They have an Office at POP and STI with no drop off charges. They deliver the car to you if you want. If you break down they dispatch another car ASAP. Happened to me on the Moca road

I agree Adventure is the way to go. A buddy of mine fucked up a Jeepeta really bad. Had local insurance and they brought him another. Just like that. Credit Card insurances only reimburse you. Your on vacation. Don't go the cheap route when it comes to cars. I've seen too many accidents happen down there. Driving on the roads kill the small economy cars. Get a beefy vehicle.

milone
06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
If you rent from a major car rental (Budget, Alamo, National, Hertz) they won't honor the insurance? Can't you request something in writing in advance that the rental agency will honor the CC Insurance?

I called the credit card companies on this, and it turns out the CC insurance only covers collision and comprehensive, not liability. So you definitely need the local liability insurance from the rental agency. I already said a few posts back that I was planning to get that.

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 06:37 PM
I called the credit card companies on this, and it turns out the CC insurance only covers collision and comprehensive, not liability. So you definitely need the local liability insurance from the rental agency. I already said a few posts back that I was planning to get that.

Right now that is not my concern as I found the same information on Visa.com. What I don't understand is in the event of an accident does the CC pay the bill or reimburse you. That is a major factor to consider.

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Try going to Budget.com. The rate does not include the fees. Using your CC for CDW the cost will be $238.17 for a 1.1 litre manual ship matchbox.

Don Tomas
06-25-2006, 07:26 PM

I second TB here. They even came out to me & Reel Deal to fix a flat because while the Jeepeta had a jack, spare, and tire iron, the tire iron didn't fit the lugs! :lol: Only in the DR!

They will work with you price wise if you visit often, but don't look for a discount on your first trip. Jason mans the POP office and Gipsy is in STI and she is the half owner of Adventure.

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 07:47 PM
DT the website says they have an office at SDQ but I can't get any price quotes. Does the SDQ office still exist?

Don Tomas
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM

The major car rental places are in name only, franchises, not answering to the home office, except when their franchise fee is late.

You can read some horror stories on DR1 about renting.

Don Tomas
06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
DT the website says they have an office at SDQ but I can't get any price quotes. Does the SDQ office still exist?

No there is no physical office but they are willing to drop a car off there, they charge a fee, forget how much.

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 08:15 PM
The major car rental places are in name only, franchises, not answering to the home office, except when their franchise fee is late.

You can read some horror stories on DR1 about renting.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand why Alamo and National rent the exact same cars and have the same address to drop off.

I have read some of the horror stories. That is what keeps me from making the move to rent a car. One thing to have a freak accident in the states but in the DR???????

tampabukkake
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Herb
In the case of a friend, AMEX Gold would pay the charges directly to the rental agency!
All he had to do was get an estimate from the rental agency and send it in. AMEX would proccess the payment. No problem right? Just had to enjoy his stay at Hotel Miraflores (Police Station) and wait for the transfer. AMEX told him they would due their best to have it all wrapped up within 72 hours! Or he could post a deposit equal to the damages.

Well my friend decided it was better to put $1500.00 for the damages on his Credit Card and for me to loan him $500.00 to pay for the damages to the other car than sit in jail. Top it off, I still don t believe it was my friends fault.

I tried calling in some favors and the best we could arrange was instead of jail, he would be held in the office of the Politur Major.

By the way.... imagine what a Fiat looks like when it runs into a horse or a cow?

DT is right Adventure has somewhat of a satellite office in SDQ. Once they couldn t send me a car, they had another rental agency waiting for me at arrivals with my name. I used it for a couple of days then when I got to Santiago dropped it off at Adventure and they gave me another Jeepeta! Now that is service!!!

I think DT is the King of Rentals and Repairs in the DR!!!

Bug Boy
06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Herb
In the case of a friend, AMEX Gold would pay the charges directly to the rental agency!

All he had to do was get an estimate from the rental agency and send it in. AMEX would proccess the payment. No problem right? Just had to enjoy his stay at Hotel Miraflores (Police Station) and wait for the transfer. AMEX told him they would due their best to have it all wrapped up within 72 hours! Or he could post a deposit equal to the damages.

Doesn't seem like it's worth it. So CC CDW is a scam. I think I will email visa and see what they say. I will put them on the spot and see how they wiggle out of it.

So am I correct to say the only safe way to rent a car is to get the rental agency's insurance?

moshy2k
06-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Tampa,

They couldn't just charge it all to his AMEX then let the car place and Amex work it out later??? Amex told me let them charge whatever they want on it and call them afterwards to straighten it out.

moshy2k
06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
I guess I will go back to getting both of their insurance. Tampa, if you have both the rental companies insurance are you then covered ( no time spent at police station)?

tampabukkake
06-26-2006, 01:35 AM
That is exactly what he did, figured they would work it out later..... but by agreeing to the charge AMEX gave him a bit of a hard time saying it was over priced, in the end he settled with AMEX for 750 each

As far as getting both insurance, I will say I am no expert.... but I would rather have them on my side

In two cases where Adventure was involved, Gipsy ( Jason once) came to the scene talked to the Policia and everybody went on their merry way (with a little pay off I am sure)

I have also heard the their is a guy in Caberrete ( Prestige I think) who gives the same service

Only thing is I don t think he is in Santiago

Don Tomas
06-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I think DT is the King of Rentals and Repairs in the DR!!!

Hey now some of the issues were out of my control like the windshield meeting "una roca loca" and a side window meeting a fucking ladron!

Don Tomas
06-26-2006, 01:51 AM
In two cases where Adventure was involved, Gipsy ( Jason once) came to the scene talked to the Policia and everybody went on their merry way (with a little pay off I am sure)

There was a similar thread on DR1 about Gipsy who came to the police station in the middle of night to argue the renter's case. The Dominican rear-ended the gringo and at first it was the gringo's fault until Gipsy showed up.

Seriously I highly recommend Adverture over anyone else, a local company that is professional! And all I am is a customer.

I have a second story to share, I never elaborated in my trip report because I was on "family" business. But I was litterally going up a mountain offroad, seriously offroad, ask gdogg! 4x4 only, all red clay about 5,000 ft up the side of the mountain, one hour past the nearest town to a coffee plantation, just describing it so you get an idea of what I was putting this rental through. While we (7 of us, Dominican style) were headed a familar face came by on a dirt bike, a real dirt bike a moto never would make it. It was the other owner of Adventure!!!!!! He stops and asks "What are you doing here? You are in trouble!", I was at a loss for words at first since he was absolutely the last person I ever expected to see! Then he sees Reel Deal a few trucks back and goes to him, also I couldn't just stop and chat or I would start sliding backwards, I am talking serious offroad. So the relatives in the back tell me he is a distant cousin, thank god! So when he came back around I started fucking with him. He asks again what am I doing here with his jeepeta. So I reply "¿Dónde está la playa?", "¿Dónde está las putas?" he tells me Just turn right here and go down the mountain until I hit water! Well we finally meet up at the family reunion and he tells me, "I had a feeling you needed an upgrade this trip, I must by psychic". Nothing was ever said when I returned the car.

gdogg
06-26-2006, 04:29 AM
DT, I remember that like it was yesterday. Talk about a small world. Was that the greatest weekend or what!!

thunderstar
06-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I have only rented once on our last visit last month - however I would fully recommend them.
I admit - I had no accident, no damage to the car and didnt need to use a jack - i guess you can only tell how good a company is when things go wrong. If things dont - MELODY rentals were cheap, cars of a average standard, cheap and the team a pleasent bunch.
Location - With Playa Dorada on your right go along the road past Cafe Cito - then you come to a small row of shops. At the end of this row you will find Melody.
I will definately rent from them again when we return in January.

Dan

BlueDevil
06-27-2006, 12:06 AM
I am renting a car from Alamo for a week upon my arrival at STI in October. After reading this post last night, I felt compelled to make a few phone calls to AMEX and Alamo to clear up some of the mystery behind car rental insurance.

I have premium car rental insurance from AMEX which provides complete CDW/Theft Protection coverage...meaning no money out of my pocket for any damage to my rented vehicle. It is automatically activated once I use my AMEX card to rent the car... and a one-time charge of $24.95 per rental is billed to my account. If I elect CDW/Theft Protection from the rental agency, it cancels and supercedes the AMEX policy. The AMEX plan, however, does not provide any liability coverage for damage to a third-party vehicle. The AMEX people advised me to contact Alamo to see if Primary Liability Insurance (PLI) could be applied separately to the rental period.

When I called Alamo, they checked my reservation, and informed me that I would not need their CDW/Theft Protection, if I used the AMEX coverage, and that liability insurance in the DR is already included in the basic rental agreement...no additional coverage from Alamo is required. (I will make it a point to have this confirmed in the written agreement when I rent the car.)

I always carry a paper copy, and store an electronic copy in my e-mail account, of my AMEX premium rental car policy (with phone numbers) whenever I rent a car.

psriches
06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Very true Blue Devil but this means nothing when you get rear ended in POP and you suddenly are surrounded by 9 motoconches demanding that you cover the damage of the car that HIT YOU. Then you relax when the Policia arrive but quickly tense back up when they take you to jail for failure of payment. Then you relax again when you reach Rocky and Tampa on the phone. Then tense back up when they tell you they will be there with the money on Monday and it is only Thursday. Then you relax again when the Policia offer you a cell by yourself. Only to tense back up on Saturday when the jail is overcrowded and Homicide Jose from Charimicos is placed in your private cell. Hope you don't mind platano in the butt! Jail in DR is not a fun place! Maybe a little extra insurance is not such a bad thing. Trust me, i don't always follow my own advice but maybe i should. Maybe WE should!

Rocky
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Very true Blue Devil but this means nothing when you get rear ended in POP and you suddenly are surrounded by 9 motoconches demanding that you cover the damage of the car that HIT YOU.
I hesitate to continue on from here with the following advice, as it sounds so wrong, but the truth of the matter is...
If you're in an accident in the DR, at fault or not, and it looks like you can clearly get away and make a run for it (not to be attempted in downtown Puerto Plata), then you should.
If it's a rented car, take it right back to the rental joint, tell them what happened, explain to them that you had a previous bad experience with all the motoconchos gathering around you, wanting to beat you up and take all your money.
They WILL understand, and so will the police, if they ever happened to catch you.
I know this sounds totally illegal, but it can save you oodles of money, a load of trouble, and can save you from Homicide Jose and his giant platano.

tampabukkake
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I hesitate to continue on from here ... Jose and his giant platano.

I totally agree with Rocky... the Policia will understand and so will the Renatal Agency.... BTW .... moto conchos won t give a rats ass about your Visa or AMEX insurance and neither will a local policia who never has seen one before!

I will never tell a person what they should do.... I will only offer advice in a situation that seems to work for me

I don t want a matchbox with 13 in wheels and 5 lbs of air in the DR !!!

I rent a Jeepeta from Adventure ... service has been great and worthwhile to me.

milone
06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I hesitate to continue on from here with the following advice, as it sounds so wrong, but the truth of the matter is...
If you're in an accident in the DR, at fault or not, and it looks like you can clearly get away and make a run for it (not to be attempted in downtown Puerto Plata), then you should.
If it's a rented car, take it right back to the rental joint, tell them what happened, explain to them that you had a previous bad experience with all the motoconchos gathering around you, wanting to beat you up and take all your money.
They WILL understand, and so will the police, if they ever happened to catch you.
I know this sounds totally illegal, but it can save you oodles of money, a load of trouble, and can save you from Homicide Jose and his giant platano.

What about bribery? (I assume the only issue is how much is going to be effective, not whether it will).

Rocky
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
What about bribery? (I assume the only issue is how much is going to be effective, not whether it will).Well, yes, I guess, if that's the word of choice.
When I'm facing 10 motoconchos, feeling my life is threatened if I don't fork over lots of money, I think of it as extorsion, but, quite frankly, if it were just a matter of working out a fair price, I would not be giving the advice I gave above.
It's about personal safety and not visiting the inside of a Dominican jail.
What really pumps me up, is when they are unquestionably at fault, and not only do they want YOU to pay, but the police support them.
So, back to square one, if you can, get the hell out of there. do so.
If you cannot, try to settle up quick, otherwise, the price keeps going up.
Don't tell them who you are or where to find you.
The next day, after talking to their friends & relatives, they may feel you owe them more.

Don Tomas
06-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Call me an asshole but going on Rocky's advice I might not even go to the rental place or police. But I do know a few shops in Santiago; glass repair, transmission shop, body & paint shop, and even a couple tow trucks, so the car would look perfect the next day.

Hmm what did TampaBukkake say I was the king of again? ;)

Rocky
06-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Call me an asshole but going on Rocky's advice I might not even go to the rental place or police. But I do know a few shops in Santiago; glass repair, transmission shop, body & paint shop, and even a couple tow trucks, so the car would look perfect the next day.
If you're not properly insured, that's the best way to go, because you KNOW you will get the work done, from 25% to 50% the price the rental agency will want to charge.
If you're 100% covered, then you might as well bring it to the rental joint and ask for a replacement.
Of course, they would need a police report to make the claim, so you tell them it happened in another town, go to that police station, tell them it was a hit & run, end of story.
I know this all sounds like I'm suggesting for y'all to be dishonest, but when it comes to one's personal safety, or even being ripped off by some whacko maniac motoconcho who hit you, then all rules of the game are off.
There is no Geneva convention when a person declares war on you, be it to do you bodily harm, or to rob you.

Don Tomas
06-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Adventure has a deductible of RD$10,000 iirc. And like Rocky says your costs would be 25-50% of the charge from the rental place. So if I can get a windshield installed in Santiago for RD$3000, I sure will do it! (2 times)

BlueDevil
06-29-2006, 02:38 AM
I appreciate Tampa, DT, Rocky & psriches sharing their advice/experience with car rentals in DR. It causes me to have some second thoughts about renting a car during my first trip to the DR.

I have driven all over Costa Rica in a rented SUV...the Ticos are nutty drivers...and CR roads are deplorable to say the least. Although I had a run in or two with the CR Transitos (like shaking me down for a bribe instead of issuing me a double ticket), I never had to deal with a looming "double jeopardy" (e.g. going to jail) in the event of a minor fender-bender.

psriches wrote:

"Maybe a little extra insurance is not such a bad thing. Trust me, i don't always follow my own advice but maybe i should. Maybe WE should!"

Does "a little extra insurance" purchased from a local car rental agency keep a driver out of jail in the event of an accident? Or is the gringo tourist driver phucked, regardless? True, the odds against having an accident are in my favor, but when I am on vacation, I don't need the hassle of a "Sword of Damocles" over my head. Hanging around the beach, enjoying my rented condo in Costambar with a chica or two and partying at Black Beard's during my week in paradise sounds like a much better plan. If I feel the need to visit Puerto Plata or Sosua, I probably will catch a cab. I believe after my first visit to DR, I will be in a much better position to decide whether a rented vehicle fits into my next DR vacation plans. Thanks, for your input! :bigthumbup:

Rocky
06-29-2006, 05:07 AM
Does "a little extra insurance" purchased from a local car rental agency keep a driver out of jail in the event of an accident?
As a rule, yes.
Once you have called the rental agency, they will be anxious to get over to the cop shop to settle the problem and retrieve their vehicle.
At that point, you can sit back and watch the show, as they discuss it all in Spanish, and most likely be on your way in another vehicle in a short period of time.

Don Tomas
06-29-2006, 05:34 AM
I appreciate Tampa, DT, Rocky & psriches sharing their advice/experience with car rentals in DR. It causes me to have some second thoughts about renting a car during my first trip to the DR.

I have driven all over Costa Rica in a rented SUV...the Ticos are nutty drivers...and CR roads are deplorable to say the least. Although I had a run in or two with the CR Transitos (like shaking me down for a bribe instead of issuing me a double ticket)...

...Hanging around the beach, enjoying my rented condo in Costambar with a chica or two and partying at Black Beard's during my week in paradise sounds like a much better plan. If I feel the need to visit Puerto Plata or Sosua, I probably will catch a cab. I believe after my first visit to DR, I will be in a much better position to decide whether a rented vehicle fits into my next DR vacation plans. Thanks, for your input! :bigthumbup:

I must have missed that this is your first trip to the DR! Hell no should you rent a car, CR is not even close to the DR!

I have never driven in CR, but the DR was just voted one of the worse places to drive by an independant study of accidents, etc!

Read this thread I wrote see if any applies to CR:
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276&highlight=rules+road

The only condolence I can give you is you wouldn't be shaken down by AMET (guys in green with Smokey the Bear hats) they are the traffic police and just write you a ticket and take your license. So if you do drive a car, drive with a laminated color copy of your DL, or carry an expired DL and just give them that and forget about the ticket.

Polica National try to write traffic tickets but they just shake you down for money. The only bonus, if you aren't doing anything wrong they won't push the issue. So either get out your phone and say you are calling the embassy because you don't understand their "tango hombre" Spanish, or give them RD$50-100 ($1-3) and leave.

Now since you are in Costambar you might regret that decision, read here: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6232

Rocky
06-29-2006, 07:22 AM
I must have missed that this is your first trip to the DR! Hell no should you rent a car,
Now since you are in Costambar you might regret that decision, read here: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6232 It is a bit dangerous to rent on the first trip, before having a chance to see how they drive around here, but in this case, as inconvenient as it is, being in Costambar, so far away from everything, the construction that is going on right now, along the highway and through POP on the main road, make it a nightmare.
If you can find a decent taxi driver who has a cellphone, who you can call when you need transport, you'd avoid those ripoff Costambar taxi drivers, mentioned in Don Tomas' thread above, and avoid all the perils of driving yourself.

BlueDevil
06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
I will try to follow the logic contained in the past few posts:

DT wrote:

"I must have missed that this is your first trip to the DR! Hell no should you rent a car, CR is not even close to the DR!"

and Rocky wrote:
"It is a bit dangerous to rent on the first trip, before having a chance to see how they drive around here..."

I pretty much arrived at that conclusion in my previous post:
"True, the odds against having an accident are in my favor, but when I am on vacation, I don't need the hassle of a "Sword of Damocles" over my head. Hanging around the beach, enjoying my rented condo in Costambar with a chica or two and partying at Black Beard's during my week in paradise sounds like a much better plan."

However, if I ever choose to rent a vehicle in DR, it should be from a local agency (like Adventure)...

Rocky wrote:

"As a rule, yes.
Once you have called the rental agency, they will be anxious to get over to the cop shop to settle the problem and retrieve their vehicle.
At that point, you can sit back and watch the show, as they discuss it all in Spanish, and most likely be on your way in another vehicle in a short period of time."

however, Advantage has a RD$10,000 per DT:
"Adventure has a deductible of RD$10,000 iirc. And like Rocky says your costs would be 25-50% of the charge from the rental place. So if I can get a windshield installed in Santiago for RD$3000, I sure will do it! (2 times)"
Since I have the AMEX Premium auto rental coverage (which indemnifies me from all damage and theft to my rental vehicle), I should be able to walk away from the accident with no cash out of pocket.

DT later on implies that I will be phucked since I will be in self-imposed exile:

"Now since you are in Costambar you might regret that decision, read here: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ead.php?t=6232" that says:

I normally rent a car but didn't this trip, thinking back (hindsight is 20/20) I should have rented.

Friday:
Taxi $50 for 7 of us to Blackbeards-El D paid
Hitched a ride to Frank's FREE
Taxi from Frank's to La Canita RD$300
Taxi from La Canita to Blackbeards RD$300
Total: RD$600 (US$20) but could have been more with taxi from airport.

Saturday:
Trip to PP FREE
Trip back RD$100 (moto)
Taxi to PP RD$400
Taxi to BB RD$300
Total: RD$800 (US$27)

Sunday:
Taxi to PP RD$500 (pitched in more for people to Sosua)
Caribe Tours to Santiago RD$80
Taxi to casa de novia RD$100
Taxi to Caribe Tours RD$100
Caribe Tours to PP (for 2) RD$160
Taxi to BB, to PP, to La Canita, to Cabana RD$1,000
Total: RD$1940 (US$65)

Monday:
Cabana to BB to Caribe Tours RD$600
Caribe Tours to Santiago for 2 RD$160
Caribe Tours to casa de novia RD$100
Casa to Kelvins RD$100
Kelvins to Rancho Tipico RD$80
Rancho Tipico to Pasions RD$200
Pasions to Cabana RD$200
Total: RD$1440 (US$48)

Tuesday:
Cabana to Casa to Caribe Tours RD$200
Caribe Tours to PP for 1 RD$80
PP to BB RD$300
BB to Sosua to Airport (Escort King was out of cash) RD$1,100
Total: RD$1680 (US$56)

Total in taxis: RD$6460 (US$216)

If I rented a jeep: 4 days * US$48/day = US$192! Minus 6% for paying cash = US$180.50

Yes I need to move around a lot and the Costambar taxis are THIEVES!!

I should have rented a car, I am positive Jayman & El D would have chipped in for gas especially for the the trips to Sosua and from the airport to BB.

Oh well Live & Learn!

I happened to read this post before I booked a car at STI. However, after reading it...I was motivated to rent a car, so that I would not be among the mobility-impaired. Now, I've pretty much accepted the fact that I will spend most of my week chilling in tranquil Costambar...with frequent jaunts to Black Beard's...and judiciously-chosen taxi rides into Puerto Plata and Sosua. I believe I can live with that. :wink: Who knows... I may meet some other like-minded gentlemen at BBs who are willing to split the cost of a cab fare with me.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas...I learned a lot about DR car rentals and taxis in this thread!:rofl:

PS: Does anyone have the name of a reliable driver in Costambar who won't try to rip me off :yelquestion:

milone
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
I happened to read this post before I booked a car at STI. However, after reading it...I was motivated to rent a car, so that I would not be among the mobility-impaired. Now, I've pretty much accepted the fact that I will spend most of my week chilling in tranquil Costambar...with frequent jaunts to Black Beard's...and judiciously-chosen taxi rides into Puerto Plata and Sosua. I believe I can live with that. :wink: Who knows... I may meet some other like-minded gentlemen at BBs who are willing to split the cost of a cab fare with me.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas...I learned a lot about DR car rentals and taxis in this thread!:rofl:

PS: Does anyone have the name of a reliable driver in Costambar who won't try to rip me off :yelquestion:

Yeah, based on what everybody here and on DR1 are saying, I made the same decision - this isn't my first trip to the DR by a long shot, but I figure if I'm just going from BB to Frank's, cabs will be pretty close to the same cost as a rental, and a lot less risky. The ride to Sosua will be a lot more, but I'll probably only be going there two or three times, and hopefully I can find a few more guys at BB to share the ride.

BlueDevil - when are you going to be there? I'm there from the 3d to the 11th. The one day I definitely want to go to Sosua is Tuesday, for the BBQ at Lou's.

Rocky
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
PS: Does anyone have the name of a reliable driver in Costambar who won't try to rip me off :yelquestion:I'm trying to locate one, but haven't managed to yet.
Will let you know if I come up with something.

Rocky
06-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, based on what everybody here and on DR1 are saying, I made the same decision - this isn't my first trip to the DR by a long shot, but I figure if I'm just going from BB to Frank's, cabs will be pretty close to the same cost as a rental, and a lot less risky. The ride to Sosua will be a lot more, but I'll probably only be going there two or three times, and hopefully I can find a few more guys at BB to share the ride.

BlueDevil - when are you going to be there? I'm there from the 3d to the 11th. The one day I definitely want to go to Sosua is Tuesday, for the BBQ at Lou's.If you can get a motoconcho out to the highway, you can take public transport to Sosua for very little money, if you don't mind subjecting yourself to the ordeal.
Often, you can convince a public car driver to drive just you to a destination, for less than half the taxi rate.

milone
06-29-2006, 09:45 PM
If you can get a motoconcho out to the highway, you can take public transport to Sosua for very little money, if you don't mind subjecting yourself to the ordeal.
Often, you can convince a public car driver to drive just you to a destination, for less than half the taxi rate.

Yeah, guagua to Sosua and cab back wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I've never taken a guagua, tho - how often does the one from Costambar to Sosua run? Does it stop right at the Costambar cutoff on the main road? Is there just one route that goes all the way to Sosua, or is there a chance of getting on the wrong one?

Thanx,
MrNat

Beads
06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Hrmm sounds like if you get into an accident it could be better to "accidentally" run over any persons involved especially a motoconch. This way no problems.

tampabukkake
06-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Expanding on Marco... who has much more knowledge on the North Coast than most... the Guaga (Publico) charge 30 pesos for each passenger between Sosua and Puerto Plata... you get into a Toyota Corolla with 6 people and the driver, you can buy all six seats for 180 pesos for the ride.

Rocky
06-30-2006, 03:25 AM
By definition, a guagua is the public van.
They are a bit cheaper than the public cars, and 100 times more dangerous, as they are fleet vehicles, driven by juvenile delinquent maniacs, whereas the public cars are driven by the owner, or his brother/cousin/uncle, etc.
As they care for the vehicle, the people inside are generally safer than in guaguas.
I think that 25% of the highway head-on collisions in this country, involve guaguas.
As for the inconvenience, from POP itself to Sosua, it's not too bad, but from Costambar, you would have to take a public car, aka "publico", to the center of town, then get on another to Sosua.
If it were me, I would get into the publico at Costambar, and as it was emptying out in the center of town, before turning around to go back from whence it came, I would then propose to the driver to take me, and me alone, straight to Sosua, for 300 pesos, which I'm sure he would accept.
The problem is, that I speak the lingo, and you might not, so it makes it doubly difficult.
He may not understand you, and he will have you pegged as a rich tourist, so it's a hard deal to make.
The upside to the publico is that you might get crammed into the back seat with 4 other passengers, and be squeezed up against a beautiful large breasted chica.
On the other hand, you might be jammed up against a fat old ugly toothless hairy granny.....

milone
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Hablo espanol, pero pienso que es demasiado complicado. Creo que sea mucho mas facil y no que mucho mas caro buscar otro hombre que queria viajar a Sosua para compartir un taxi al BBQ.

Rocky
06-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Hablo espanol, pero pienso que es demasiado complicado. Creo que sea mucho mas facil y no que mucho mas caro buscar otro hombre que queria viajar a Sosua para compartir un taxi al BBQ.
Good stuff.
BTW: I just came back from Puerto Plata and the construction going on in town, on the main highway is worse than a nightmare.
It takes longer to get through town, than the part after all the way to Sosua.
At night time, it would be a lot better.