PDA

View Full Version : help--STI to Sosua transport questions

strykoutking
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey all,

I'm taking a new travel route because it's real cheap for me for December. I fly from Boston via Spirit Air, but I arrive in Santiago at 3am.

Where do I find Caribe Tours bus in relation to airport? I guess I will have some time to kill before busses start running to Puerto Plata later that morning?

Also, on return, flight is 4:37am out of Santiago, so I will have to return the night before and stay at a hotel in Santigo. Never been there so I have no idea where to find hotel for night to fly out at 4:37 am, how close will the hotel be to the airport, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also considering renting a car, though again I have never driven in the DR, and I imagine car rental will be closed at 3am arrival anyhow so may be just as well to wait for the busses to run later that morning?

Thanks in advance.

Strykout

Jimbo44
11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a Red Sawx fan to me.....

givengo440
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

I'm taking a new travel route because it's real cheap for me for December. I fly from Boston via Spirit Air, but I arrive in Santiago at 3am.

Where do I find Caribe Tours bus in relation to airport? I guess I will have some time to kill before busses start running to Puerto Plata later that morning?

Also, on return, flight is 4:37am out of Santiago, so I will have to return the night before and stay at a hotel in Santigo. Never been there so I have no idea where to find hotel for night to fly out at 4:37 am, how close will the hotel be to the airport, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also considering renting a car, though again I have never driven in the DR, and I imagine car rental will be closed at 3am arrival anyhow so may be just as well to wait for the busses to run later that morning?

Thanks in advance.

Strykout

Unless you have a cheap place to stay in Santiago or want to sit at the bus terminal for a few hours, your only alternative is to take a taxi. A negotiated price is RD1500.00 but expect them to ask for 2000.00+, Taking everything into consideration, it's probably your best option. Hotel will cost you RD1000.00+. The taxis to hotel (Looking for one), from hotel to bus terminal in the AM etc.

Jimbo44
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I am sure there are others on the plane heading to Sosua, strike up a convo with some at the terminal in Boston, on the plane, etc.

mikelodge
11-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I am sure there are others on the plane heading to Sosua, strike up a convo with some at the terminal in Boston, on the plane, etc.

I would also check with wherever you are going to be staying in Sosua. They may have someone who can pick you up for the same price or less than a cab ride which I was told by many is $70. A advantage there would be perhaps having some good personal contact on the ride to Sosua to bring you up to date first hand on many things. Just a idea I would try.

Trib
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Strykout

Is this for schedule, cost savings or some 0ther thing?

if the ride is over 50 1 way and hotel or some other costs its not cost effective unless the delta is 200 US.

If its time the gymnastics getting back and forth make this suck. Consider flying into another US city (NY, DC, Balt, Mia) that has direct to POP if its scheduling.

if it for some other reason consider a hotel in santiago then some booty and wake up rested for the trek to Sosua/pop

robo-dick
11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Strykout

I'm doing this same route in 3 days and again in December. Since Caribe Tours doesn't open until 5am, your best bet is to hang out at the airport untill 4:30 am, then take a taxi to Caribe, take take the 6 am bus to Charmicos, then a taxi the rest of the way to Sosua. Should be about 28 bucks total. If you take a taxi to Caribe Tours as soon you get your luggage, you may find yourself waiting for an hour or so for Caribe to open up, not sure how safe that is. I actually found a Canadian in Santiago that I've used before that will make the trip to Sosua for 50 bucks, which puts you in Sosua at 4:30 am instead of 7:30 by bus and taxi.
To me its well worth the hassle because for 1, it saves me several hundred bucks on airfare. Secondly, that red eye flight allows me to leave after work and gets me there in the morning, versus later in the day or evening.

Beads
11-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Good luck with the $50 taxi expect to pay closer to $100 for a taxi ride to Sosua from STI airport.(if not more) Its a good 1hr to 1hr and 20 mins ride and the taxi driver has to go to Sosua and come back as he probably doesnt live in Sosua. Gas aint cheap on the island!

If the flight was better for leaving at night like one guy above said I would come in through STI but leave from POP and a 1hr 20 min ride to the airport leaving can be horrible. You dont want to hang out in STI airport too long and you dont want to be late because of hitting traffic or getting stuck someplace.

Some guys dont mind but for me to use STI airport would have to be like a $300 savings to even consider.

strykoutking
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks a million, robo dick, that is exactly the kind of info I needed. For others who missed it, reread my first 2 lines, YES it is for economic reasons, to fly from Boston other times/airlines is double that, to fly from Providence which is where I'm at is over $1000 right now for December. I got a $346 flight to Santiago.

Plus same as robo said, I can work all day in Boston, head over to airport for 7pm flight. Also, return arrives in Boston 10:30am, I have all day to make way home via public transit and I get a nice long night's sleep before work next day.

I don't mind hanging at the airport a couple hours then getting taxi over to Caribe Tours for 6am bus for Charamicos.

Just have to figure the going back for 4:30am flight part.

robo-dick
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks a million, robo dick, that is exactly the kind of info I needed. For others who missed it, reread my first 2 lines, YES it is for economic reasons, to fly from Boston other times/airlines is double that, to fly from Providence which is where I'm at is over $1000 right now for December. I got a $346 flight to Santiago.

Plus same as robo said, I can work all day in Boston, head over to airport for 7pm flight. Also, return arrives in Boston 10:30am, I have all day to make way home via public transit and I get a nice long night's sleep before work next day.

I don't mind hanging at the airport a couple hours then getting taxi over to Caribe Tours for 6am bus for Charamicos.

Just have to figure the going back for 4:30am flight part.

Yep, as the other ISOC'r mentioned, this part isnt as easy and POP is much better for departures, but if you leave at 12:30 or 1am out of Sosua that will put you at the SDQ airport in time and traffic isnt going to be that big of an issue at that time of night like it would be during the day. Worse case scenrio is, if you can't find someone that will take you for a decent price, pay the 70-80 bucks and have fun all day in Sosua.
In my case, even if the flights were the same cost in regards to POP or SDQ, i'd still fly into SDQ because I gain 2 afternoons out of it. Just my 2 cents worth.

mikelodge
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Yep, as the other ISOC'r mentioned, this part isnt as easy and POP is much better for departures, but if you leave at 12:30 or 1am out of Sosua that will put you at the SDQ airport in time and traffic isnt going to be that big of an issue at that time of night like it would be during the day. Worse case scenrio is, if you can't find someone that will take you for a decent price, pay the 70-80 bucks and have fun all day in Sosua.
In my case, even if the flights were the same cost in regards to POP or SDQ, i'd still fly into SDQ because I gain 2 afternoons out of it. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you meant to say STI not SDQ each time above but anyway he has a plan to wait for a taxi and then take a bus for say $28 to Sosua when he could rent a car for this same amount but let's say you don't want a car for your entire stay.

Do it your way with the bus to Sosua then the day before you leave Sosua rent a car from Avis that you can drop at STI airport like me and others have done. There is an Avis office at POP airport and on the highway to Puerto Plata.

Use Gmalet's half price code and book the car for the required 2 or 3 day minimum they may have or not and enjoy the countryside and the freedom of a car for a day or two. Take the 10 minute ride to Cabarete ect.

Then save the $70 cab fare or more as Beads said drive yourself to STI and relax at your own pace or do like me and others are doing and stay the night before in Santiago and see something else and still save money.

DCIronman
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I also usually fly into STI or SDQ because it's usually $200 to $300 cheaper for me than flying into POP. Though i gotta admit, that 3 a.m. arrival time is ridiculous.

I'd forget taking a Taxi at that hour. It's normally a $75 flat rate (according to the taxi sign) from STI to Sosua. But good luck getting a driver to take you for that price at 3:30-4am. And seriously, why would you be in a rush to get to Sosua at that time in the morning anyway. I mean, realistically, you wouldn't be leaving the airport until 3:30 or 4am. Which puts you in Sosua around 5 am. There's nothing going on in Sosua at 5am but sleepin and fuckin, mostly sleepin. And any chica you see out will probably have just left another monger, and on her way home to get some sleep. Not worth the taxi ride to Sosua in my opinion.

But you have another option. While I wouldn't pay for a full night in a hotel at that hour, there are many cabanas in Santiago. Some pretty nice, and all cheaper than a hotel room. Negotiate a rate for 3 or four hrs and get some rest before catching the early bus to Sosua for a few pesos.

And here's the kicker, you can still get some ass in Santiago at four in the morning because Illusions will still be open!:D And there will still be a good number of chicas there, willing to make some money before calling it a night. Just remember not to pay the regular rate for TLN, since in this case, TLN is really only about three or four hours.

My flight to STI was delayed Aug. last year, and I ended up getting to STI at 3am (fuckin AA). The only reason that I didn't go to a cabana is because I already had a reservation at a discounted rate at Aloha Sol. But I did hit Illusions though.:iconTU:

robo-dick
11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I think you meant to say STI not SDQ each time above but anyway he has a plan to wait for a taxi and then take a bus for say $28 to Sosua when he could rent a car for this same amount but let's say you don't want a car for your entire stay.

Do it your way with the bus to Sosua then the day before you leave Sosua rent a car from Avis that you can drop at STI airport like me and others have done. There is an Avis office at POP airport and on the highway to Puerto Plata.

Use Gmalet's half price code and book the car for the required 2 or 3 day minimum they may have or not and enjoy the countryside and the freedom of a car for a day or two. Take the 10 minute ride to Cabarete ect.

Then save the $70 cab fare or more as Beads said drive yourself to STI and relax at your own pace or do like me and others are doing and stay the night before in Santiago and see something else and still save money.

Yep, your write, STI not SDQ. Thax for that correction and info.

strykoutking
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
DC Ironman,

Good solid advice from experience, thanks. Ok, so I get a taxi and tell him take me to a cabana near Illusions? Stash my luggage in the cabana (will it all be there when I come back, no safe, etc., carry all money on my person??????) grab an Illusions girl on a discount for a 3 or 4 hour fling and a bit of rest.

How far is Illusions from the airport? How far is bus station from Illusions?

Anyhow, thanks for ideas. If I knew how to secure all my belongings and luggage I'd take this approach...

Another point I'm aware of, too, taking taxi OR 6am bus into Sosua, then what, I get to Sosua and have to sit on street until I can check into hotel at 3pm.

So yeah, I want to do the Illusions and cabana in Santiago suggestion if I can figure it out and my belongings will be safe somewhere.

Strykout

mikelodge
11-12-2009, 09:08 PM
DC Ironman,

Good solid advice from experience, thanks. Ok, so I get a taxi and tell him take me to a cabana near Illusions? Stash my luggage in the cabana (will it all be there when I come back, no safe, etc., carry all money on my person??????) grab an Illusions girl on a discount for a 3 or 4 hour fling and a bit of rest.

Anyhow, thanks for ideas. If I knew how to secure all my belongings and luggage I'd take this approach...

Another point I'm aware of, too, taking taxi OR 6am bus into Sosua, then what, I get to Sosua and have to sit on street until I can check into hotel at 3pm.

So yeah, I want to do the Illusions and cabana in Santiago suggestion if I can figure it out and my belongings will be safe somewhere.

Strykout

All Right I will solve this problem for you about the luggage and cabana safety since I Have Asked More Questions Than Damn Near Anybody and it is only fair to give back.

If you want cheapest way to go with a bit more safety for your luggage have cab take you to Hotel Colonial they have rooms starting at $14 including the tax and you only need it for hours not days. They have a much better newer section for more and better rooms with AC for more ect but this is all you need.
Ok I know you can't find it online that one took me about a week to find.
www.sunnybookings.com (http://www.sunnybookings.com) and click on Santiago and it is there.

Good Luck
PS the guy and his son that run it seemed nice but I did not stay there but I did walk in with a friend and they were happy to talk to us even though it was for future reference.

sicpup71
11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
DC Ironman,

Strykout

where are u staying?? this isn't the states where u have to wait till 3pm to check in.

KoKi9290
11-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I also usually fly into STI or SDQ because it's usually $200 to $300 cheaper for me than flying into POP. Though i gotta admit, that 3 a.m. arrival time is ridiculous.

I'd forget taking a Taxi at that hour. It's normally a $75 flat rate (according to the taxi sign) from STI to Sosua. But good luck getting a driver to take you for that price at 3:30-4am. And seriously, why would you be in a rush to get to Sosua at that time in the morning anyway. I mean, realistically, you wouldn't be leaving the airport until 3:30 or 4am. Which puts you in Sosua around 5 am. There's nothing going on in Sosua at 5am but sleepin and fuckin, mostly sleepin. And any chica you see out will probably have just left another monger, and on her way home to get some sleep. Not worth the taxi ride to Sosua in my opinion.

But you have another option. While I wouldn't pay for a full night in a hotel at that hour, there are many cabanas in Santiago. Some pretty nice, and all cheaper than a hotel room. Negotiate a rate for 3 or four hrs and get some rest before catching the early bus to Sosua for a few pesos.

And here's the kicker, you can still get some ass in Santiago at four in the morning because Illusions will still be open!:D And there will still be a good number of chicas there, willing to make some money before calling it a night. Just remember not to pay the regular rate for TLN, since in this case, TLN is really only about three or four hours.

My flight to STI was delayed Aug. last year, and I ended up getting to STI at 3am (fuckin AA). The only reason that I didn't go to a cabana is because I already had a reservation at a discounted rate at Aloha Sol. But I did hit Illusions though.:iconTU:

Colonial is cheap but way downtown. Try the Excelsior Cabana - decent enuff and not far from Passion. Most of the cabanas are on the autopista near the airport. Illusions is quite a ways away. Exclesior has special deals after ten or eleven at night. Midnight to 10 a.m. should run you about 700-800 pesos. Just tell them when you want to leave in the morning when you check in. Take a radio taxi from apt and get a phone number to call in the a.m. or have the cabana call for you.

mikelodge
11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Colonial is cheap but way downtown. Try the Excelsior Cabana - decent enuff and not far from Passion. Most of the cabanas are on the autopista near the airport. Illusions is quite a ways away. Exclesior has special deals after ten or eleven at night. Midnight to 10 a.m. should run you about 700-800 pesos. Just tell them when you want to leave in the morning when you check in. Take a radio taxi from apt and get a phone number to call in the a.m. or have the cabana call for you.

Great info on those cabana's. I saw them on my driving to find the airport then the hotel then missing Vidal twice coming back from town (not really well marked). How far is this Passions from both the cabanas and more importantly to me and another who was looking at Century earlier to Century. I will expand on that, if I didn't bring a nice one from Sosua and wanted local what is closest to Vidal Rafael and the Autopista Durarte chica wise. I eye balled some across the street from Century but was polite being with someone.

DCIronman
11-13-2009, 06:08 AM
DC Ironman,

Strykout

I went straight to Illusions from the airport, kept my luggage in the cab and invited the cabbie in for a beer or two. I wouldn't advise this if you plan on spending a while picking your chica because some cabbies will be keeping the meter going, so to speak. Your luggage should be safe at the cabana. Don't forget, cabanas are institutions that thrive on discretion. I highly doubt that anyone will be entering your room while you're gone.

The Colonial is downtown and far from everything. Everything will be closed in that area of town.

And while Pasions is closer to the cabanas and the airport, it won't be open at 4am (at least it wasn't the last time that I was there). In fact, quite a few of the chicas go to Illusions after Pasions closes. Unless things have changed, Illusions will be your only option at that time of night. Ask your cabbie. That's how I found out that Illusions had extended their hours. Maybe the other brothels have wisened up and followed suit.

Report back and let us know.

DCIronman
11-13-2009, 06:57 AM

That midnight to 10am rate is pretty good. That's 10 hours for about $20USD. Good to know. That'll give you plenty of time to fuck and get some rest before taking the noon bus to Sosua. Good info.

Is Pasions open at at 4am now? Because it wasn't the last time I checked. Granted, I last checked Aug of '08, so things could have changed since then.

strykoutking
11-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm staying at ground zero Sosua, the New Garden of course. They won't let me check in till mid day, but I solved that, for $50 I booked the night before and will have the security guard give me my key when I arrive if I don't end up staying a few hours in Santiago for some fun before heading to Sosua by bus later in the day.

strykoutking
11-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks to all for excellent info and advice.

Strykoutking

DRCowboy
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
To get a feel for locations here is an interactive map. It shows the airport, Pasions, Illusions and the rest of the city. http://www.maplandia.com/dominican-republic/airports/santiago-intl-a-airport/