PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle charges increased POP Airport

gmalet
11-15-2009, 12:29 PM
The vehicle charges have increased at Gregorio Luperón (Puerto Plata) airport. Where drivers used to pay 5 pesos to enter their cars at the airport, this has recently been increased to 35 pesos. This amounts to a 700% increase! Jeeps and minibuses are also charged at 35 pesos. Lorry drivers must pay 40 pesos. Bus drivers/large lorries are charged at 50 pesos, while taxi drivers pay just 20 pesos.
People working at the airport are still allowed to enter their cars free of charge. I guess that's something.

Jimmydr
11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
The vehicle charges have increased at Gregorio Luperón (Puerto Plata) airport. Where drivers used to pay 5 pesos to enter their cars at the airport, this has recently been increased to 35 pesos. This amounts to a 700% increase! Jeeps and minibuses are also charged at 35 pesos. Lorry drivers must pay 40 pesos. Bus drivers/large lorries are charged at 50 pesos, while taxi drivers pay just 20 pesos.
People working at the airport are still allowed to enter their cars free of charge. I guess that's something.

Well I guess they will raise the $25 taxi fee to $30 now.

SeaWeed
11-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Well I guess they will raise the $25 taxi fee to $30 now.

paying $25 now is ridiculous from the POP airport ......though mi only paid $20 last reach.....and even that is way too much......in Jamaica they'll drive you all the way from Montego Bay to Negril which can be an hour and a quarter drive for that same $20-25 and their petro is almost as high as the DR's.....go figure

psriches
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
paying $25 now is ridiculous from the POP airport ......though mi only paid $20 last reach.....and even that is way too much......in Jamaica they'll drive you all the way from Montego Bay to Negril which can be an hour and a quarter drive for that same $20-25 and their petro is almost as high as the DR's.....go figureIts cheaper to rent a car, if only to use it to and from the airport!!!

gmalet
11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
If you use my Avis discount with a cheap KIA it almost is cheaper.

SeaWeed
11-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Its cheaper to rent a car, if only to use it to and from the airport!!!

you are right about that!

MrHappy
11-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Wow, that really pisses me off. Now parking is almost a whole dollar??? That's fucking outrageous.

It reminds me when they raised the toll booth fair from 5 pesos to 10. That took a lot of nerve. And now it's 30 pesos!

That's like a 600% increase from what it used to be.

Can you imagine that? That's almost 83 cents, for petes sake!!!

Give me back the seventies.....

SeaWeed
11-16-2009, 08:57 AM
yeah........like when wi had to wait in line for gas or no gas in the 70's........and one day it was 33 cents and then the next it went up to 75 cents......lol

psriches
11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow, that really pisses me off. Now parking is almost a whole dollar??? That's fucking outrageous.

It reminds me when they raised the toll booth fair from 5 pesos to 10. That took a lot of nerve. And now it's 30 pesos!

That's like a 600% increase from what it used to be.

Can you imagine that? That's almost 83 cents, for petes sake!!!

Give me back the seventies.....But you do agree that $25 to go down the road into Sosua is a bit much???

MrHappy
11-17-2009, 06:24 AM
But you do agree that $25 to go down the road into Sosua is a bit much???

Of course it is. It's a union driven monopoly. It sucks. That's one of the reasons I live here, to avoid paying unreasonable taxi fees.

The same distance trip in Santo Domingo in a regular taxi would be 150 pesos.

But remember, taxis at the airport have to wait in line to get a fare, just like hotel taxi drivers in Santo Domingo.

Usually, they are lucky to get one fare a day. Would you like to be a taxi driver, and wait all day for just one 150 peso fare? Of course not.

Try to understand their point of view.

psriches
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Of course it is. It's a union driven monopoly. It sucks. That's one of the reasons I live here, to avoid paying unreasonable taxi fees.

The same distance trip in Santo Domingo in a regular taxi would be 150 pesos.

But remember, taxis at the airport have to wait in line to get a fare, just like hotel taxi drivers in Santo Domingo.

Usually, they are lucky to get one fare a day. Would you like to be a taxi driver, and wait all day for just one 150 peso fare? Of course not.

Try to understand their point of view.They wait their turn at big supermarkets and other venues as well.

$25 is way too much no matter how you spin it. :wink:

BlueDevil
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Taxi fares are the only negative thing that sticks in my mind from my one trip to POP.

Gutter Meat
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
To avoid raising the fare , the driver can drop me off right before that little toll booth and I'll walk the 25 yards. Everyone should start doing this and piss them off.

the_Jayman
11-18-2009, 08:05 PM
The Taxi fee goes up $.50 US and they charge us an extra $10.00 US ? ?

Sounds about par for the course . . . :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

SrSuerte
12-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I am cheap. I walk outside the gate and catch a ride for less. You can rent a public car for 200 pesos or the taxis are 400 pesos out side of the gated entrance. 50 peoso if you are willing to ride with the locals. 25 pesos for you and 25 pesos for your bag.