PDA

View Full Version : Club X is now Club Miami

WickedWillie
11-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Club X opposite Classicos has just re-opened as Club Miami. Haven't been in there yet but the entrance fee is RD$80 which includes your 1st drink. Beers are RD$80.

Apparently there are cage dancers and events planned such as live music this week.

To co-incide with the opening and to just to underline the business mentality here, Classicos raised it's entrance fee for Friday and Saturday nights to RD$150 which also includes your 1st drink. Beers thereafter are still RD$100. Entrance on all other nights is still RD$100

DCIronman
11-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I've seen Club X open and close more times than I can count. They just can't seem to find a winning strategy. I've been over there a handful of times, mainly out of curiousity, and I've never seen a lot of people there.

Maybe they'll be able to attract more people with the reduced entrance fee. But I doubt it. Classicos is King of the strip. Club Miami is going to have to offer something quite unique to compete.

Live bands and planned events might draw more of the local crowd. And that's a good thing IMO. But mongers don't care about live music. Hell, a good percentage don't even know how to dance to the local stuff. Mongers go where the chicas are. Maybe Club Miami needs to find a way attract the chicas, and give them some incentive to stick around. The mongers will follow.

Tiger
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Club X opposite Classicos has just re-opened as Club Miami. Haven't been in there yet but the entrance fee is RD$80 which includes your 1st drink. Beers are RD$80.

Apparently there are cage dancers and events planned such as live music this week.

To co-incide with the opening and to just to underline the business mentality here, Classicos raised it's entrance fee for Friday and Saturday nights to RD$150 which also includes your 1st drink. Beers thereafter are still RD$100. Entrance on all other nights is still RD$100

That doesn't make any sense. New competition.......raise prices???

Jimmydr
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

It opens and closes over and over and over since 2000. There is room for only 1 disco there.

Jimbo44
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Everytime i ever went into Club X, I ended up turning around and walking out, as it was always empty, no matter waht time I tried. I will report what I see beginning the following weekend.

Beads
11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Classicos looks like they are trying to weed out stragglers who dont want to spend money. Plenty of people will just stay downstairs. Chicas wait downstairs and try to get a gringo to pay their entrance. Maybe it will hurt business sending some customers across the street maybe not. As a tourist if I wanted to go inside Classicos an extra 50 pesos would not deter me.

SeaWeed
11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Live bands and planned events might draw more of the local crowd. And that's a good thing IMO. But mongers don't care about live music. Hell, a good percentage don't even know how to dance to the local stuff. Mongers go where the chicas are. Maybe Club Miami needs to find a way attract the chicas, and give them some incentive to stick around. The mongers will follow.I love live music!
and the one thing I miss when going to the DR is how few places actually have live music.........and for the most part if you go out dancing in Jamaica they usually have live music........huge business der.....

the largest dance club in Jamaica is called the Jungle and it's located in Negril........Jamaicans and tourist drive hours every night just to go to this club.........upstairs has live bands........and downstairs has a Disco.....plus VIP lounge and multiple bars spread throughout.......beautiful ladies(tourist and Jamaicans) dressed to the hilt in dem high heel shoes.....quite an amazing place.....makes Classico look like a closet......and then some

prtyr2
11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I love live music!
and the one thing I miss when going to the DR is how few places actually have live music.........and for the most part if you go out dancing in Jamaica they usually have live music........huge business der.....

the largest dance club in Jamaica is called the Jungle and it's located in Negril........Jamaicans and tourist drive hours every night just to go to this club.........upstairs has live bands........and downstairs has a Disco.....plus VIP lounge and multiple bars spread throughout.......beautiful ladies(tourist and Jamaicans) dressed to the hilt in dem high heel shoes.....quite an amazing place.....makes Classico look like a closet......and then some

There is plenty of live music in DR, just not so much in Sosua. Santiago has a bunch of places that play tipico and the car washes in smaller towns have lots of live Bachata.

DCIronman
11-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I love live music!
and the one thing I miss when going to the DR is how few places actually have live music.

That's because Sosua is a tourist town. Dominicans love live bands and dancing. In fact, one of the things I noticed when I was taking spanish classes in Santiago is that Dominicans will take the smallest venue, and stick a live band in it. Carwashes, restaurants, and even the brothels, all regularly have live bands. I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble finding one if you go up to Puerto Plata.

Sosua caters mostly to tourists and ex-pats. The only time I've seen a live band was at that car wash that used to be on route 5 going towards Cabarete, right at the exit that you take to get to Pedro Clisante. And that joint has been closed for a minute.

Maybe that's what Club Miami is aiming to do. Instead of competing with Classicos for the tourist dollars, maybe they're attempting to create a venue that locals will want to frequent as well. Kinda like how El Flow used to be. Having live bands, especially the Tipico groups, would accomplish that.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I wouldn't mind having a spot on the strip where I could listen to a live band and get my merenque and bachata on.

BUENISSIMOOOOOOO!!!!!!

JD426
11-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Pull a chica from Classicos, and then take her across the street for some real live music and dancing more to HER taste rather than what the tourists listen to.
The dance floor at Classicos is too crazy it seems.
So this makes sense. Isnt that what Jimbo does already ? Sounds like they stole his idea.
lol

Jimbo44
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Don't get me wrong I love all of todays music, but when I am in the DR, I rather hear their music, especially bachata, merengue, salsa and I like cumbia cause i go to Colombian joints with the GF and her friends. Otherwise, I get enough of all the other music here in NY.

weyland
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Kinda like how El Flow used to be.
Why do you say that? Has El Flow changed? (I don't get to Sosúa much).

DCIronman
11-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Why do you say that? Has El Flow changed? (I don't get to Sosúa much).

The last time I was there (early Oct.), I noticed that there were way more mongers than locals hanging out there. It was the exact opposite when El Flow first opened last year. In fact, some of the local ex-pat business owners were kinda leery about the high number of young locals that were frequenting El Flow at that time.

That's changed now since tourists and mongers have discovered the place and it's cheap beer.

chitownpimp
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with Tiger, why charge more prices because of competition? Club Miami needs a business plan or a marketing plan, I swear I will be a millionaire consulting in the D.R., At the end of the day Sousa's lifeline depends on mongering, I think is always room for competition with the right model and plan, Classicos is not the IPOD.

Club Miami as a name does not work, the last thing I want to see or hear in the D.R. is anything related to the U.S., how about a simple name like Dream or something catchy like the "Twilight Zone" I do not care if its in English or Spanish, how about nice branding outside and inside and a field plan to target chicas because I will not count on the internet for the masses. Back back the most important item...Chicas. I am back in Sosua Friday, I will check the place out and give a review on my trip report.

SrSuerte
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
a winning strategy. Maybe they'll be able to attract more people with the reduced entrance fee. Classicos is King of the strip. But mongers don't care about live music. Mongers go where the chicas are. Maybe Club Miami needs to find a way attract the chicas, and give them some incentive to stick around. The mongers will follow.

That doesn't make any sense. New competition.......raise prices???

Chicas wait downstairs and try to get a gringo to pay their entrance. Maybe it will hurt business sending some customers across the street maybe not.

The dance floor at Classicos is too crazy it seems.
So this makes sense. lol

I believe the only reason we go to Classicos is for the girls. Why do the girls go? Us? This amount will not break the foreigners that frequently go to classicos. Why pay if you don't need to? If the girls are down stairs then I will also be down stairs. The potiential is there for another club to pull customers from classicos. I wonder if they can afford to put on something like a Reggaeton dance contest were the girls can win some money. We would be there with our cameras because some girls would go to the limit to win. I have not seen swim suit contest yet. I would like to see a Reggaeton Dance contest.

SrSuerte
11-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe they will follow us.

Jimbo44
11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Maybe some local bands will play some local music for a diff theme. Possibly get paid as per head count of the night.

JuanElGriego
11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Chicas wait downstairs and try to get a gringo to pay their entrance.

I think girls have to pay an entrance fee at Classico only on Friday and Saturday nights, otherwise it's free for them.

vagabond
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
They just added Miami. The name is Club X Miami. About the price policy at Classico, was there on saturday, and it's still so crowdy that it's uncomfortable to be up there.

Blackarcher
11-24-2009, 11:00 PM

I'll have to check it out this weekend and see what is going on there, see how many chicas are there.

Mr. Smooth
11-25-2009, 04:38 AM
A little competition can't hurt. Hope this new place is going strong when I return in March. Classicos can get very crowded and you can hardly walk around on many nights. After a half hour or so, I'm ready to head back downstairs for some elbow room. There is another thread advising guys to watch out for pick pockets in Classicos. With all the bumping and jostling going on just to establish a little space to stand or lean against one of the bars or railings, I'm sure things like that are a common occurance. A lot of the chicas that hang out there are nothing more than petty thiefs who probably deserve a shot to the chops. I hope this new place can thin the herd a bit and draw some interest from both chicas, mongers and other tourists. If it can give us all a different place to party while on the hunt, then I hope it is a successful enterprise.

bronxbomber
11-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I was just at Club Miami when I got back from my trip Nov 15. A local hip hop singer was there Lapiz Conciente. Now here in NY to the dominican group, they love him. So when he played I thought it would be crazyy. But, it was totally corny. Absolutley no mongers or tourists were there, only locals and the chics were awful. That was only one day but I can imagine on a slow day. I stood there for about an hour then went to classicos.

Ingus_Khan
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Damn. I would have loved to see that. His first album was hot.

I was just at Club Miami when I got back from my trip Nov 15. A local hip hop singer was there Lapiz Conciente. Now here in NY to the dominican group, they love him. So when he played I thought it would be crazyy. But, it was totally corny. Absolutley no mongers or tourists were there, only locals and the chics were awful. That was only one day but I can imagine on a slow day. I stood there for about an hour then went to classicos.

Si_Poppi
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe Club Miami needs to find a way attract the chicas, and give them some incentive to stick around. The mongers will follow.
I believe the only reason we go to Classicos is for the girls. Why do the girls go? Us?If they were smart, they would do whatever it takes to get the chicas in there and the guys will be sure to follow which would attract more chicas which would attract more guys ..............

If I was running that place, I would never charge a chica to enter or if they wanted a first drink included I would charge them 40 pesos.

Have a bell ring every now and then where the chicas in there get a free shot or chocolate or sucker/gum .......

I would have a manager in there who is on top of what's going on and throw some free rounds and shooters at good customers.

Have some free munchies like nuts, pretzels, popcorn, chips, etc.....

There are plenty of inexpensive things that can be done to get the ball rolling and the party started and it will snowball from there. :iconTU:

carolinajack
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
You make some great points Si Poppi...

...there is no way Classicos should totally dominate the club scene the way they do. It can get insanely overcrowded in there.

If management at Miami is determined to keep it for the locals...then its doomed to fail; especially in this economy. The DR men aren't going to pay what we pay to drink at a club...and the women aren't going anywhere there's not men willing to ply them with drinks and then take them back to their respective hotels.

Some sexy go-go girls dancing might help to get the crowd? going...

...I've always loved bars/clubs that had the sexy bargirls roving the floor with whistles - offering shooters.

If they find someone who knows club mgmt & promotion via NY - Miami - Vegas then it might work.

JuanElGriego
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
If they find someone who knows club mgmt & promotion via NY - Miami - Vegas then it might work.

Those people would be way OVER-qualified for something like Club Miami, lol. If you told them there's a disco in a small town packed with hoes and mongers and locals right across the street from a successful disco that overflows but this one can't make a dime, they'd laugh.

The hardest part is getting people to come to you and they've already had that handed to them by way of location. This isn't some out-of-nowhere club on some random New Jersey Turnpike exit you have to promote the fuck out of so people know where the hell it is. Club X already has the people literally standing outside!!! Most of the rest is just common sense and just a little imagination, nothing extravagant. This isn't Vegas. Si Poppi just threw out a bunch of little ideas that would work and there's a thousand more that wouldn't take a professional promoter or lots of money to work.

carolinajack
11-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Those people would be way OVER-qualified for something like Club Miami, lol. If you told them there's a disco in a small town packed with hoes and mongers and locals right across the street from a successful disco that overflows but this one can't make a dime, they'd laugh.

Club X already has the people literally standing outside!!! Most of the rest is just common sense and just a little imagination, nothing extravagant. This isn't Vegas. Si Poppi just threw out a bunch of little ideas that would work and there's a thousand more that wouldn't take a professional promoter or lots of money to work.

I'm not suggesting a top NY or Vegas promoter by any means...

...lets just say a miscommunication on my part...but I believe not so long ago there was a member on this site looking to work as a DJ in Sosua.

I would bet that he could do more to generate biz for Miami than what they have going now...as you said yourself "Club X already has people literally standing outside!!!...

...if I'm the mgmt - fuck them standing outside!!! - get me someone who can generate the traffic inside my place so I can sell my inventory of booze & beer.

Big D is a perfect example of what I'm talking about...here's a guy who was a successful personal chef in NYC and the ATL for quite a few celebs...opens a simple chicken & ribs shack on the beach and is now expanding to be on the strip - outside of a solid product - he knows how to cater to and entertain the average American monger...

...that's the mentality Club Miami needs - there are busboys in Vegas and NYC that can turn that spot around.

daddyooo
12-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I just talked to the woman who worked the entrance at Club X.....She is looking for a new job now because they closed up today....for good.

Jimmydr
12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I just talked to the woman who worked the entrance at Club X.....She is looking for a new job now because they closed up today....for good.

I am shocked!

psriches
12-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I am shocked!I'm shocked too!!

Once they re-opened, i figured they'd close within 3 days but they lasted 9 :eek:

3somefan
12-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I am shocked!

I'm shocked too!!

Once they re-opened, i figured they'd close within 3 days but they lasted 9 :eek:

:rofl: You guys would be great as Positive Motivational Speakers!! :lol: :D

JD426
12-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Who was that guy on SNL, hes now your Senator I believe.
Daily Positive affirmations With Jack Handy ?? or some shit.
he looks in the mirror and says "because im good enough, im smart enough, and gosh darn it , people LIKE me"
LOLLLLL

let this be another lesson to any of you who think you can just move to the DR and open a Busi ness. Puhleassee...
this place failed, ON THE STRIP...

Jimmydr
12-01-2009, 10:18 PM

If you can´t succeed in your home country, you will fail in all other countries. Thats a fact.

Jimmydr
12-01-2009, 10:18 PM
he looks in the mirror and says "because im good enough, im smart enough, and gosh darn it , people LIKE me"
LOLLLLL

let this be another lesson to any of you who think you can just move to the DR and open a Busi ness. Puhleassee...

There can only be 1!

daddyooo
12-01-2009, 11:05 PM

That would be Al Fraken, I think.

WickedWillie
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

While it may well have failed in due course for a multitude of reasons actually the club closed due to major differences between the owners and partners culminating in a knife fight between 2 of them.

The down side is that the principals have left town leaving a string of pissed off creditors behind. The staff got paid 500 pesos each.

Businesses can succeed here but please choose your partners and associates very carefully indeed!

Summit
12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
That would be Al Fraken, I think.

Actually, it's Al Franken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken

yayow
12-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Maybe they will follow us.

The chicas will go where the mongers (money) go, that isn't the problem. The problem is that most mongers are creatures of habit, and therefore only go to places that they know and have been successful in before. As such; most have heard about Classicos, Passions etc. and that is where they will frequent (most are like cattle and where ever the first one goes the rest will follow). I will exclude the breathen here, in that because of this site, there is always new and up to-date info. But the vast majority of the mongers in Sosua would not be privy to the information that you find here.

MrHappy
12-03-2009, 06:01 AM
There's a few golden rules that have been mentioned here that I have told folks over and over again.
One is: Do whatever it takes to get the girls in, and the guys will follow.
Two is: If you can't do it alone, don't do it. Making a friend a partner is the quickest way to lose a friend.
Three is: Keep reinventing the place.

The biggies. Do that, add cold beer and good music, and you've got it made.

Roy
12-26-2009, 03:53 PM
......club closed due to major differences between the owners and partners culminating in a knife fight between 2 of them.

Does it surprise anyone that there was a knife fight? Maybe I'm a little surprised that there wasn't a broken bottle glass cut fight...... Live music and cheap entrance fees, locals (dominicans?), drunk, carrying knives and guns combined with drunkeness and in some cases stoned on some sort of chemical .... thats all I saw at Club X as well, and never was in there someone didn't come up and offer me drugs. Mingling with the locals IMHO is not a good idea.

Now, for Classico. 150 pesos is TOO MUCH to get into a place that once the dancing starts is so FREAKING HOT you can't breathe. I had a bit of an illness last trip so I had to drink water, and a 20 peso water costs 100 pesos there. People still flock to the place. Why? Because all the hottest hard core nastiest girls are there, shaking their ass and creating the fantasy we are all looking for. In addition, Dominicans are creatures of habit, unless the place falls in or is destroyed somehow, it will always be THE place, even if they choose to charge 250 pesos entry.

If you're looking to hang with the "locals" you might try Latino disco late, that's all I ever saw in there.