PDA

View Full Version : DR Warning!

afroski
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone I’m here in Sosua for the week of Thanksgiving and decided to take a road trip today. Although I’m staying here in Sosua I’ve done no mongering here in town, most of my time has been spent over in Puerto Plata and points in between, but I’ll go into that in an upcoming trip report.

This message is a warning to folks traveling thru the DR! I had read a lot online about gringos living and hanging out over in Luperon so I decided to go over and see for myself what the attraction was plus I like getting out into the countryside. For those that don’t know, Luperon is on the coast a little further west of Puerto Plata. You just stay on highway 5 and right before you get to Imbert you turn off the road and head towards Luperon. But on the way going and coming back I got stopped twice by police with makeshift roadblocks trying to shake down motorists for money. On the way going the policeman had me pull over to the side and then typed out on his cell phone the amount of $1000 pesos, just the way the chicas do. He said that he needed money for lunch. On the way back from Luperon the same thing happened but this time the policeman didn’t specify an exact amount he just wanted me to give him money. Both times I said no but it was a bit unsettling.

I don’t know if they were just targeting tourists, there is a hotel resort in Luperon and this is a main road into and out of the area, or if I got stopped because I am Black and a tourist, I just thought I would post this and let others know what’s going on. Also, I noticed that in Sosua and Puerto Plata the police are handing out more tickets for not wearing a seatbelt, something I hadn't seen much of before in all of the years I’ve been coming down here. On 2 different nights this week I saw police flagging down motorists between Sosua and Puerto Plata. Maybe the global recession is hurting the locals a lot harder than I know.

Tickets for not wearing a seatbelt is legit but the money shakedowns can end up being very dangerous. I wonder is the DR becoming another Mexico with all of the corrupt police and all? Until now I’ve always felt fairly safe here and since I keep my nose clean while here I never expect to have any contact with the authorities but now I’m starting to wonder.

Sorry for the long post.

Jimbo44
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I hope u did not cave in and pay them. I know I make sure to wear a helmet now everytime i take my moto out for a spin, that is a 1000 fine also. There is a thread somewhere with police official names and US Embassy phone numbers to show them that u will call to question there demands for $.

woody514
11-27-2009, 07:22 PM
The same thing happen to me and a friend in May, coming back to Sosua from Nagua. Except they made us get out of the vehicle while they searched it, and our bags. These guys were in military vehicles and uniforms. They held my keys until i gave them 300 peso. It is indeed a frightening experience.

tomgueguen
11-27-2009, 07:34 PM
The same thing happen to me and a friend in May, coming back to Sosua from Nagua. Except they made us get out of the vehicle while they searched it, and our bags. These guys were in military vehicles and uniforms. They held my keys until i gave them 300 peso. It is indeed a frightening experience.

What where they doing with you keys in hand??

Everyone must know that ther's law in this country and that the cops have to respect them.

Every cop who want to search in your vehicule must have an authorization from the procuror (fiscal).

If you're sure you have commited no infraction you have to satnd firm and they will let you go.

No cop is crazy enough to kill a tourist...

psriches
11-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone I’m here in Sosua for the week of Thanksgiving and decided to take a road trip today. Although I’m staying here in Sosua I’ve done no mongering here in town, most of my time has been spent over in Puerto Plata and points in between, but I’ll go into that in an upcoming trip report.

This message is a warning to folks traveling thru the DR! I had read a lot online about gringos living and hanging out over in Luperon so I decided to go over and see for myself what the attraction was plus I like getting out into the countryside. For those that don’t know, Luperon is on the coast a little further west of Puerto Plata. You just stay on highway 5 and right before you get to Imbert you turn off the road and head towards Luperon. But on the way going and coming back I got stopped twice by police with makeshift roadblocks trying to shake down motorists for money. On the way going the policeman had me pull over to the side and then typed out on his cell phone the amount of $1000 pesos, just the way the chicas do. He said that he needed money for lunch. On the way back from Luperon the same thing happened but this time the policeman didn’t specify an exact amount he just wanted me to give him money. Both times I said no but it was a bit unsettling.

I don’t know if they were just targeting tourists, there is a hotel resort in Luperon and this is a main road into and out of the area, or if I got stopped because I am Black and a tourist, I just thought I would post this and let others know what’s going on. Also, I noticed that in Sosua and Puerto Plata the police are handing out more tickets for not wearing a seatbelt, something I hadn't seen much of before in all of the years I’ve been coming down here. On 2 different nights this week I saw police flagging down motorists between Sosua and Puerto Plata. Maybe the global recession is hurting the locals a lot harder than I know.

Tickets for not wearing a seatbelt is legit but the money shakedowns can end up being very dangerous. I wonder is the DR becoming another Mexico with all of the corrupt police and all? Until now I’ve always felt fairly safe here and since I keep my nose clean while here I never expect to have any contact with the authorities but now I’m starting to wonder.

Sorry for the long post.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210970&highlight=shake

woody514
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
What where they doing with you keys in hand??

Everyone must know that ther's law in this country and that the cops have to respect them.

Every cop who want to search in your vehicule must have an authorization from the procuror (fiscal).

If you're sure you have commited no infraction you have to satnd firm and they will let you go.

No cop is crazy enough to kill a tourist...
They took my key from the ignition , while searching the vehicle. When i ask where my keys were , he told one of the people with me that i would get them after i paid the 300 peso to the lady officer sitting in the jeep. I was returning from a wedding of a Doctors daughter. The doctor and his wife were in the car behind me. He told me to just give them the bribe and let's be on our way. HE ALSO PAID 300 PESOS. After we returned to his house in Puerto Plata ,with the rest of the family, he said that that is one of the things that give his country a bad image to tourist. He took fotos of them to report the incident . But we all know how far up the chain that went !!!

swiggy
11-28-2009, 12:58 AM
I just leave 200 pesos in the ashtray in case i get pulled over. tell them its all you have, they will take it. One time i was taking my chica to the doctor (she had a bad pain in her stomach) I didnt have my seat belt on and the cop at the light by playero on the main road in sosua saw and motioned for me to pull to the side of the road. i went in the ashtray to give the 200 pesos i had in there to the cop but she had grabbed it in the morning for a moto. all i had was a bunch of 500 peso bills stuck together in my pocket because i went in the water.I wasnt giving him that , and i wasnt pulling it out to give him one. He wanted my id which he knew i didnt have because i had a wet swimsut on but i said i didnt have it. told me to pull in the police station and was babbling about me breaking the law, i knew what he wanted but i didnt give in , just kept pretending i didnt understand. told him i need ambulance for her if hes gonna take me in because is an emergency... he just let me go. just hand him the 6 bucks and shrug... he will walk away. Its just the way it goes there, dont be intimidated or scared or they will want more.

Drjetman
11-28-2009, 04:34 AM
It sucks when you get pulled over for a shake down. It happened to me once. I used to rent a car all the time but now I do only if I'm going to be travelling to another city when I am there. Having a vehicle adds a whole new dimension to your vacation but it is also somewhat of an anchor. You have to worry about where you park it and in SD there are all these self appointed "parking attendant" guys who offer to watch your car for a tip. And if you don't give him the tip will he scratch it up? And, of course, you have to worry about the cops too.

prtyr2
11-28-2009, 06:49 AM
I don’t know if they were just targeting tourists, there is a hotel resort in Luperon and this is a main road into and out of the area, or if I got stopped because I am Black and a tourist, I just thought I would post this and let others know what’s going on.
Sorry for the long post.

Definitely will get stopped more for being a tourist. Being black will not lead to getting pulled over more, in fact the opposite may be true as some may think you are dominican.

Even amet is stepping things up. I was with my taxista last week leaving pricemart and he got pulled over by AMET and given a no seat belt ticket. He WAS wearing a seatbelt.

I was confused as there was no attempt whatsoever for a bribe and you do NOT try and bribe AMET. So why would they write tickets to people that do not deserve it? I told my buddy the capt at the station will probably take the cash and give the officer a cut. He said, no. . . . he can pay the ticket in a bank so the AMET officers will never see it.

It certainly appears that AMET may have instituted a quota program on traffic tix to raise more revenu.

psriches
11-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Definitely will get stopped more for being a tourist. Being black will not lead to getting pulled over more, in fact the opposite may be true as some may think you are dominican.

Even amet is stepping things up. I was with my taxista last week leaving pricemart and he got pulled over by AMET and given a no seat belt ticket. He WAS wearing a seatbelt.

I was confused as there was no attempt whatsoever for a bribe and you do NOT try and bribe AMET. So why would they write tickets to people that do not deserve it? I told my buddy the capt at the station will probably take the cash and give the officer a cut. He said, no. . . . he can pay the ticket in a bank so the AMET officers will never see it.

It certainly appears that AMET may have instituted a quota program on traffic tix to raise more revenu.The problem is not AMET. It's the Policia!!!!!

I used to get stopped every month in the Capital until Mr Happy gave me a different route to take. Now i just avoid the entire City to begin with.

For the others that don't know their way around, there are numbers you can call for assistance and suggestions on how to deal with this in my thread.

Like afroski said, it's just an unsettling feeling to be stopped in the middle off no where (alone) and surrounded by Policia in military uniforms demanding cash payments!!

givengo440
11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Also, I noticed that in Sosua and Puerto Plata the police are handing out more tickets for not wearing a seatbelt, something I hadn't seen much of before in all of the years I’ve been coming down here. On 2 different nights this week I saw police flagging down motorists between Sosua and Puerto Plata. Maybe the global recession is hurting the locals a lot harder than I know.

Sorry for the long post.

During my last trip the seat belt situation was going on but also they were handing out more tickets for not wearing helmets when riging bikes. I was stopped once on the main road but when the guy looked at me he said go on. I was later told I look Dominican so he let me go by my friends driver. IDK how true this is or not but the cops are cracking down. I think it is the economy but lets be honest it's never been great I just think its more so for safety death are rising.

prtyr2
11-28-2009, 03:35 PM
During my last trip the seat belt situation was going on but also they were handing out more tickets for not wearing helmets when riging bikes. I was stopped once on the main road but when the guy looked at me he said go on. I was later told I look Dominican so he let me go by my friends driver. IDK how true this is or not but the cops are cracking down. I think it is the economy but lets be honest it's never been great I just think its more so for safety death are rising.

Nah. . . .it gets worse EVERY year. . . .right before xmas. . . .

MrHappy
11-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Nah. . . .it gets worse EVERY year. . . .right before xmas. . . .

What an AMAZING coincidence, huh?

Corrado
11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
In my own experience with AMET:

they will shake you down in Puerto Plata on Cicunavalacion at the stop lights if you are the 1st, 2nd or 3rd car at the intersection.

In Santiago and La Capital I have never seen it or experienced it. Buy they will ticket you for any small thing......like any other traffic police.

Policia Nacional:

They will shake you down at any place or time in La Capital.

I have never been shaken down by them in any other place but I know people who have been in POP and Santiago.

Military:

They can search your vehicle in the Zona Militar......if the National police are with them they will jointly search. Apart from this they do not usually have regular police powers EXCEPT at checkpoints that are targeting trafficking.....persons, weapons, and narcotics specificly .....but that really covers everything the police would be looking for anyway.

strykoutking
11-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, Corrado, good thing they didn't realize I had that baggie of coke up my culo when they stopped us at the light in PP, eh?:rofl:

swiggy
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM
The Police are worse than 99% of the other natives. You could be standing in the middle of the disco, get punched in the face and kicked while you are on the ground and you are getting arrested. Then they are gonna talk about fines at the police station. Your gonna pay if you want to get out, its that simple. If you end up in the tank in Puerto Plata , your probably gonna fight whether you want to or not. I rented a car one time and an acquaintance asked me to drive him and his friend to help another friend. By the time we got to Puerto Plata he was in 2 fights. I doubt he was there much more than an hour. I let everything roll of my back in Sosua. I always see newbies thinking they own the place.

I cant see not renting a car as there are so many things to do besides what is widely discussed here. Driving is different because the people are very selfish and it shows in their driving habits, you just have to be careful. You get out of Sosua and the Dominican people you will meet are much different. My best experiences have been while ive had a car and was driving around. Girls still hitchhike there, all the time. The place is much more than Sosua, I would say most people in Sosua dont like gringos that much because of what goes in their town. You get out of Sosua and the Dominican people you will meet are much different.

Corrado
11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Corrado, good thing they didn't realize I had that baggie of coke up my culo when they stopped us at the light in PP, eh?:rofl:

At times there are just one to many details divulged on this board. I could go my entire life and never need this picture in my mind.....I have been mentally violated:dontknow: . But the next time you can be sure I will have a chica with big hands and long arms to verify there is no contraband in the car.

Corrado
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The Police are worse than 99% of the other natives. You could be standing in the middle of the disco, get punched in the face and kicked while you are on the ground and you are getting arrested

Unfortunately this is very true, as in most developing/3rd world countries that have economies dependent on aid to stay in the red........... modern and professional police and fire services are not going to exist.

Dragonlorde
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks big time man. This is good to know. I suspect that like everywhere else cops are stepping things up for the holiday season. This includes shakedowns like you experienced. I was thinking about renting a car the next time I am down there, but this makes me wonder if it is better to just keep using my standard taxi driver to go on excursions.

dunedain
11-29-2009, 02:45 PM
the method that has worked for me every time is to simply talk to them.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/106324a9c8fdd71201.gif

Passport Playa
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks big time man. This is good to know. I suspect that like everywhere else cops are stepping things up for the holiday season. This includes shakedowns like you experienced. I was thinking about renting a car the next time I am down there, but this makes me wonder if it is better to just keep using my standard taxi driver to go on excursions.

Dragonlorde,

I can definitely understand/identify with your concerns because it wasn't until my last trip (which was trip #6) that I decided to take a chance and rent a car. However, based upon that experience, I have already reserved a car (using the 50% off promo code that GMalet was so gracious to provide) for the entire time that I will be in Sosua for the "StewFest!" For the record, I did express some of the reservations/concerns that I had with Joanna (whom I rented the jeep from @ Hispaniola) and she cautioned me just to wear my seatbelt and things would be fine.

I must admit that I felt a tad-bit more comfortable using the Hispaniola-issued jeep as it had plates on it that identified it as being such.

The Mac Man

rushdog34
12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
i laughed when i seen him chop him in the throat and then said wait a minute.. lol his ass grabbed the ticket in one swoop

the method that has worked for me every time is to simply talk to them.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/106324a9c8fdd71201.gif)