PDA

View Full Version : South America to DR!

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Oddly enough, as I sit here in Salvador, Bahia Brazil (been here since Jan. 31st) on this last day of Carnival, I am pondering ways to get to Sousa DR TOMORROW, as I don´t have to be back in the office until Feb. 15th!

no such luck as of yet!

Jimmydr
02-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Oddly enough, as I sit here in Salvador, Bahia Brazil (been here since Jan. 31st) on this last day of Carnival, I am pondering ways to get to Sousa DR TOMORROW, as I don´t have to be back in the office until Feb. 15th!

no such luck as of yet!

American Airlines thru Puerto Rico.

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Thing is, i`m on TAM, which is a partner of American Airlines.. I am supposed to leave Bahia tomorrow, back into Miami, then to Washington, DC..

Why go back home to the cold, when I can go to DR for a few nights, and go home MONDAY, since I dont have to be back in the office til Tuesday..

*sigh*

I really need to go upstairs and call TAM

Jimmydr
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Thing is, i`m on TAM, which is a partner of American Airlines.. I am supposed to leave Bahia tomorrow, back into Miami, then to Washington, DC..

Why go back home to the cold, when I can go to DR for a few nights, and go home MONDAY, since I dont have to be back in the office til Tuesday..

*sigh*

Miami to Sosua then. (POP)

el_papi_chew_low
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM

*sigh*

1) Its 58 degrees in DC

2) Why not shoot down to Rio, Sao Paulo or up to Colombia or Venezuela if the DR flight doesn't work. All are closer.

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I´m literally exhausted, i´ve put down 17 since my arrival in Salvador, and I gave Rio some thought, but i´ve been there 3 times and know what to expect..

I´ve never been to the DR, so I wanted to try something different..

Thanks for all the info, I will try to go from Miami early Friday morning since I go through Sao Paulo into Miami and get there early in the AM..

I hope the change is no more than $300, anything like $500 and i´ll have to decline.

Now I need recommendations on places to stay.. The Palace is out, any other options??

After nearly 2 weeks of fun and you can guess what else, i´m nearly spent.. I want to keep my weekend in the DR under a grand atleast... (closer to $700)..

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Call me impulsive, but I was on WorldSexGuide.org reading DR reports and said `what the hell, youve got the time, why not just GO´

and here I am today, trying to stop over in the DR from Brazil.. Life is great like that..

el_papi_chew_low
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Europa is decent you can try that. About $30 a night.

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah, and please keep in mind, I speak NO SPANISH.. :oops: :oops:

Would this be a trip wasted?

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Europa, I saw that online... I figured it´d be pretty dry there this time a year, being as Valentines Day is Monday and all, many mongers are home planning things for wifey..

I´m a single impulsive black male, travelling alone, with no spanish skills, 2 credit cards, and about $1300 US Cash... :oops: Im a walking target so to speak!! (good thing, i´m 6´4 250 Solid.. so that sometimes proves as a deterance factor)

This is getting more and more interesting.. I´ve been looking at some DR women pics and i´m just about SOLD!!

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Sorry Admin.

Thanks for the move and title change. :oops:

Jimmydr
02-09-2005, 03:05 PM

I think they are up to $40 now?

Jimmydr
02-09-2005, 03:06 PM

There are 10 members from here in Sosua now. You are never ALONE!

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Alright, going up to my room now to contact TAM and find out what the prices to change my flight are. If the members from here log on, tell them that a NEWBIE is on the way, and would like to learn the ropes.

I will log on later with my findings, and I also took a look at the Europa website, it doesnt tell you if its booked solid or not, so i´m just going to show up with my bags.

$40 a night is GREAT.. I could actually pay up to $75 a night on the room, but $40 is certainly more money towards other things.. :twisted:

the_Jayman
02-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Then I have you by about 20 spanish words.

Sosua is never a wasted trip although I'm usually wasted when in Sosua :wink:

BROOKLYN_357
02-09-2005, 04:05 PM

quite a few go down with no spanish skills, but sex is a universal language...just pick up the basics and you'll be aiight!!!

BROOKLYN_357
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Europa, I saw that online... I figured it´d be pretty dry there this time a year, being as Valentines Day is Monday and all, many mongers are home planning things for wifey..

I´m a single impulsive black male, travelling alone, with no spanish skills, 2 credit cards, and about $1300 US Cash... :oops: Im a walking target so to speak!! (good thing, i´m 6´4 250 Solid.. so that sometimes proves as a deterance factor)

This is getting more and more interesting.. I´ve been looking at some DR women pics and i´m just about SOLD!!

is he trying to give us his stats???...ummmm, we are all straight here!!!, lol....save that for Sosua

BigTrick
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM

You wont have any problem in Sosua. It's alot smaller and less dangerous than Rio. You can get a cheap AA flight from MIA to Santiago $169 using AA Netsaver. Then take a bus 2 hour bus ride from STI to Sosua

Silent Assassin
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
So then its settled (man do I hate this Portuguese keyboard)...

got a flight out of MIA Friday at 12:58PM and into POP at 3:57PM
out of POP Monday at 5:15PM and into MIA at 6:26PM

total came in at $350.05 (American Airlines - the AASavers was 7 days in advance, so I could have booked for $169 for NEXT WEEK into Santiago, but I have major work when I get home, and wont be able to sneak away for atleast 2 or 3 months)

not a bad deal at all, now i´m about to TRY to make some reservations at Europa´s..

Wish me luck!!

I assume I can just tell TAM Airlines that I want to put a break in my flight, as I am supposed to fly from Salvador, to Sao Paulo, to Miami, to Washington... I will try to break the flight on Friday morning in Miami and resume it on Monday night... They may try to hit me with a $200 International Flight Change Fee, but it´d be well worth it if things go as planned in the DR..

Thanks for the impulsive motivation fellaz, you guys are going to be the downfall of a somewhat beginner monger (although, 6 trips to Brazil might qualify me as a bit more than a ''beginner'')

gdogg
02-09-2005, 07:49 PM
You will be amazed at how well you do. You're going to have a great time. Make sure you read this board some more before you get there. You'll find out where to hang and even pick up some Spanish phrases. Have fun and be sure to report back!
:twisted:

bigfroggy1
02-09-2005, 07:50 PM
from 1 dr newbie to another see you in sousa
I am staying at the palace

el_papi_chew_low
02-09-2005, 07:54 PM

I think they are up to $40 now?

I paid in dollars in Jauary and it was about $33 for me.

el_papi_chew_low
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Is this guy real?

gdogg
02-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Is this guy real?

I believe so. He seems to be.

BrooklynBeas
02-09-2005, 08:50 PM
silent assasin... do u speak portuguese? if so then its not that much different then spanish... either way u would be fine... someone will help u out there... when r u going back to brazil... ive done DR 8 times and hoping to go to colombia next month... maybe brazil later in the year....

BROOKLYN_357
02-09-2005, 09:08 PM
brazil is DEFINITELY in my immediate future

Pana
02-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Silent you are the man , :D :shock:Brazil than DR , I still think the chicas in Brazil are more better than DR but enjoy your self, I wish I knew website was around 4yrs ago when I was in the man, I went all over South America a Mongers dream but it was a free trip the only thing is i gave signed my life away to the :evil: govenment :evil: for 4yrs

el_papi_chew_low
02-09-2005, 09:47 PM
A pocket full of money and time off ... I wish I had those problems.

Don Tomas
02-09-2005, 10:43 PM

You been to Brazil 6 times and you are worried about being a target in the DR?

In the DR a 11 year old kid might follow you for two blocks wanting to shine your shoes, in Brazil he would of sliced you with a knife after 500 feet!

On the serious side, glad you found a flight.

If the Frat House atomsphere of the Palace is not to your liking, then the Europa will be perfect though for a new person expect the full US$50-55 rate.

Silent Assassin
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
silent assasin... do u speak portuguese? if so then its not that much different then spanish... either way u would be fine... someone will help u out there... when r u going back to brazil... ive done DR 8 times and hoping to go to colombia next month... maybe brazil later in the year....

This is my 6th time in Brazil, and my portuguese is minimal at best, I was touching down in Rio, where the chicks speak the international language of money, so I really didn't view it as a real necessity to learn, but my trip to Fortaleza, and this one to Bahia has learned me that a little portuguese is necessary off the beaten path..

I'll fare well in Sousa I guess, if not, i'll just ask for the chicken... 8)

Silent Assassin
02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, I ran into another slight problem...

Now, American (TAM's US Partner) can't get me back to DC from Miami until sometime on Tuesday, so it looks like I may have to stay an extra night in the DR.. :twisted:

not a problem for me, but my job isn't going to like hearing how my passport was stolen (then subsequently turned in to the US Embassy) in Brazil (or atleast that's the lie i'm going to use).. LOL

Life is good... not being able to get me back home is never a problem for me, I can see if I was stuck in Minnesota or some shit...

psriches
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM

I think they are up to $40 now?Just got off the phone with Diego. $35 for main building. Less at guesthouse rooms across the street.

gdogg
02-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I'll fare well in Sousa I guess, if not, i'll just ask for the chicken... 8)

I like this guy. He definitely has a great attitude! SA, have a great time and let us know the rates the hotels charge you. I leave in three weeks, and STILL don't have lodging. Welcome to the board!!
8)