PDA

View Full Version : Johnny to the rescue

NewsWhore
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Merengue legend Johnny Ventura is worried about the state of the genre of merengue, saying that many musicians are composing music that doesn't deserve to be labeled merengue. This is the reason Ventura is putting the final touches on a typical merengue album (merengue tipico) in order to "rescue" the genre he helped make famous. Ventura says that instead of a dying genre, merengue tipico is a genre that needs attention. Ventura commented on the need to innovate and move forward, but he also said there is a difference in mixing genres and staying close to the genre's musical roots. Ventura is also experiencing renewed success with his holiday album, "Llego la Navidad" which he composed with a variety of local artists, including Elvis Crespo, Fernando Villalona, Los Rosarios, Hector Acosta, Ramon Orlando and Jose Pena Suazo, among others. Expect Ventura to be in the spotlight, saying, " if I am going to be here I will here completely, and not part-time, like I had been doing. Ventura recorded 104 albums during his 54-year career.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#13)