PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the shrimp guy at the beach?

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I have seen pictures of a guy carrying a tray of shrimp around on the beach. Are they just boiled shrimp? Any good? How much for da camarones?

Jimmydr
02-10-2005, 11:36 AM
If I was you I would pass. My Dominican GF had some and got sick. They look good but stick to the restaurants. Maybe if you catch up with me one night, you can join us for fried breaded shrimp at my place. :D

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I would also like to try Cafe Central in Los Charamicos. I was told that the lobster is inexpensive and good there.

Don Tomas
02-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I would also like to try Cafe Central in Los Charamicos. I was told that the lobster is inexpensive and good there.

Yeah I told you that! :wink:

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM

Yeah I told you that! :wink:

Eh fucker. You live in my old hometown. I used to live off of 152nd and 19 in those shitty apartments next to the Chevy dealer. I miss it down there. Too damn cold here.

the_Jayman
02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/the_jayman/189598.jpg

Be afraid . . .

BE VERY VERY AFRAID ! !

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Same picture that made me ask. They sure do look tasty.

Jimmydr
02-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Talk about the ice cream or shrimp man, poof, his picture gets posted. WOW! :lol:

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 02:13 PM
So what about the oysters? Any good or possibly deadly too?

Jimmydr
02-10-2005, 02:39 PM

Save yourself the trouble, just shoot yourself now. :D

I can see I will be making my fifth trip to the hospitals in April with you. Please, have about 3,000 pesos handy to cover the doctors.

Black Adder
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Bought one for a lovely lady and could not refuse when she gave half a shrimp to me. With just a little lemon juice they taste rather well.

Never got ill, I am still alive but realise I took a risk. Personally I think the guys at the beach sell good food but it is not worth the risk.

But when the lady smiles I never can say no. Can't help it.
One day this will be my death, i know. But I'll die smiling !

freakaccident
02-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Save yourself the trouble, just shoot yourself now. :D

I can see I will be making my fifth trip to the hospitals in April with you. Please, have about 3,000 pesos handy to cover the doctors.

Dont worry. Ill stay away from the street food. I don't wanna wake up in the hospital with a kidney missing orsomething.

Gladiator
02-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Now that I’ve seen that picture I’ve remembered there are some funny characters walking around Sosua beach…

What about the magician? That guy in a suit carrying a briefcase and walking up and down the beach all day in the heat. That guy is quite intriguing and he doesn’t seem to work much, other than walking up and down.

Black Ghost
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Now that I’ve seen that picture I’ve remembered there are some funny characters walking around Sosua beach…

What about the magician? That guy in a suit carrying a briefcase and walking up and down the beach all day in the heat. That guy is quite intriguing and he doesn’t seem to work much, other than walking up and down.

I was really enjoying a BBBJ by a pair of spicy prima chicas, when all of a sudden a dark guy in a suit, suitcase, sword and, BLONDE HAIR walked by staring and smiling :shock: !!!!! Wonder if its the same guy :?:

psriches
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM

I was really enjoying a BBBJ by a pair of spicy prima chicas, when all of a sudden a dark guy in a suit, suitcase, sword and, BLONDE HAIR walked by staring and smiling :shock: !!!!! Wonder if its the same guy :?:Take a picture of him and he will cast a spell on you....... :twisted:

psriches
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
So what about the oysters? Any good or possibly deadly too?I always get the oysters from the Hatian man walking around town. Always fresh, never got sick.

psriches
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Yeah I told you that! :wink:Tell us more about this place. How much for lobster? is it fresh? location?

Don Tomas
02-11-2005, 12:43 AM

Yeah I told you that! :wink:Tell us more about this place. How much for lobster? is it fresh? location?

My favorite place in Sosua.

It's in Los Charamicos, it closes around 8pm so get there early. It is a blueish-green house with the porch opened up but covered on the "Main" street of Charamicos. Everyone knows where it's at and not far from the beach enterence so definitely walkable. As I mentioned it was a house so don't mind the bathtub in the bathroom.

I pay RD$400 per pound but the menu doesn't have a price. For that "pound" I get 4-5 whole lobsters, the tail meat alone on a spiny lobster is 5-8oz usually. They serve it like 6 different ways, always delicious!

PS. Bring your own liquor, all they got is pop.

psriches
02-11-2005, 12:50 AM

It's in Los Charamicos, it closes around 8pm so get there early. It is a blueish-green house with the porch opened up but covered on the "Main" street of Charamicos. Everyone knows where it's at and not far from the beach enterence so definitely walkable. As I mentioned it was a house so don't mind the bathtub in the bathroom.

I pay RD$400 per pound but the menu doesn't have a price. For that "pound" I get 4-5 whole lobsters, the tail meat alone on a spiny lobster is 5-8oz usually. They serve it like 6 different ways, always delicious!

PS. Bring your own liquor, all they got is pop.DAMN!! This sounds good. Hope i can find it......

Don Tomas
02-11-2005, 01:04 AM
DAMN!! This sounds good. Hope i can find it......

It is listed on a map in the Yahoo group Sosuadominicanrepublic.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sosuadominicanrepublic/files/MAPS/

File = SosuaMap[1].doc

travelman
02-11-2005, 06:53 AM

PS. Bring your own liquor, all they got is pop.DAMN!! This sounds good. Hope i can find it......

Sounds incredible! I will try it next weekend!

gdogg
02-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Did you say 4 or 5 WHOLE lobsters for 400 pesos? I'm definitely hitting that place up! If I find it, I'll take pics so future brethren will be able to recognize it.

Don Tomas
02-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Did you say 4 or 5 WHOLE lobsters for 400 pesos? I'm definitely hitting that place up! If I find it, I'll take pics so future brethren will be able to recognize it.

Yes 4-5 WHOLE lobsters! That's why I put "pound" in quotes, you get way more then a pound!

freakaccident
02-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I cant wait! Im going to get tired of lobster.

the_Jayman
02-11-2005, 11:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/the_jayman/DSC00215.jpg

freakaccident
02-11-2005, 11:49 AM

WTF is wrong with that guy? I should email him and ask him.

passasabe
02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I saw this dude there!!! He looks like a rapper back from the 80s named Kwame that wore polka dots all the time. I saw the shrimp guy to. I don't think I would eat the shrimp if you had a gun to my head. It looked like the shrimp had been sitting on the tray for weeks.

BrooklynBeas
02-12-2005, 04:27 AM
i feel like these guys are part of my extended family.... if you have never seen the magician do his work you are missing out... he wanted like 1500 pesos from us to do the full show... me and 2 other friends gave him 300 pesos each... if u have a video camera it is reallly really worth it... hes a fuckin nut!... we had about 40 people watchin him give us a show a couple months ago

gdogg
02-12-2005, 08:17 AM
That dude was tripping me out. He was lighting cigarettes through his nose. I figured that was the guy that was being described. I never saw him when I was carrying a camera.

BrooklynBeas
02-12-2005, 09:41 AM
u need to videotape him... thats really the only way its worth it... he is really amazing....

BROOKLYN_357
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM

WTF is wrong with that guy? I should email him and ask him.

oh shit...that's the guy i was told that swallow flaming swords and shit

RickRock
02-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Anybody ever see the puppeteer? Last Sunday afternoon he was hanging out right at the entrance to Sosua beach. He was hilarious.

dapanz1

freakaccident
02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Anybody ever see the puppeteer? Last Sunday afternoon he was hanging out right at the entrance to Sosua beach. He was hilarious.

dapanz1

Cant wait to see these wierdos.

Black Ghost
02-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Thats him!!!....Thats him!!!!!....Where's his swords :?:

El Drunko
02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Go ahead, watch the majician, but if ya eat those shrimp while you watch, YOU have bigger balls than me. Those things spend all day out in the sun.

freakaccident
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Definitely have to check these wierdos out.

BROOKLYN_357
02-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Definitely have to check these wierdos out.

you'll enjoy it...just adds to your trip

knotty
02-24-2005, 08:06 PM
you'll bump into a few of them. the one that gets me all the time is that grandmother who walks around with her granddaughter. I can't look at her cuz she gives you one of the saddest looking faces.

vagabond
02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
She is an extremly proffessional beggar, they also walks around in Puerto Plata.

Dark Knight
02-24-2005, 11:03 PM
I beg to differ ,but I had shrimp on the beach chillin with this local .He sat a peeled them for me 8 shrimp and wanted 200 pesos!!I paid the suka like a fool cause of being with this fine chica,never again.

vagabond
02-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Thats maybe the most scary part, that they peel them for you. Guess those guys scratch their ass from time to time without washing their hands.

moshy2k
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Although the lobster and sea food sounds appealing I will have to pass. I couldn't bear the thought of having food posioning ruin my trip. also, I heard to be careful of the salad as it can be equally dangerous.

freakaccident
02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Although the lobster and sea food sounds appealing I will have to pass. I couldn't bear the thought of having food posioning ruin my trip. also, I heard to be careful of the salad as it can be equally dangerous.

Especially if you arent the one tossing it.

D_W_
02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Man, I just don't get why some mongers eat on the cheap. You are just playing Russian Roulette with your intestines. Stay away from the street vendors and the beach walkers. I will never understand this.

freakaccident
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Man, I just don't get why some mongers eat on the cheap. You are just playing Russian Roulette with your intestines. Stay away from the street vendors and the beach walkers. I will never understand this.

Taking risks is ok. Apparently eating those shrimp isnt a risk. Its almost definite.

vagabond
02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
It's not cheap either, isn't it 100 pesos for about 5 or 6 shrimps ?

David Smash
03-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I have seen pictures of a guy carrying a tray of shrimp around on the beach. Are they just boiled shrimp? Any good? How much for da camarones?

That guy has been on that beach for eons. So have the shrimp....

RearWindow
03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
We have the same scene in BC. Guys walking the beach with great looking shrimp. I've bought a few early in the day, and they were good, but muy caro. Also, the guys with pulpo and whatnot are the biggest ripoff around. Their trick is to get you to eat one and then they keep cutting it up and putting it on your plate.After a while (like five minutes) they are hitting you up for a mille.As soon as a vendor whips out a plate, send him away.

CaseOne
03-06-2005, 07:25 PM
ROFL@ dude wearing a blue jay shirt :D

JDR
03-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Welcome Case1

Apos
03-06-2005, 08:06 PM

Welcome Case1

you from Toronto? :lol:

CaseOne
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
yep

im from Toronto :D Going to DR April 3rd:D:D:D:D:D

Apos
03-11-2005, 08:21 AM
yep

im from Toronto :D Going to DR April 3rd:D:D:D:D:D

Lucky Guy! There is atleast 1 other Guy from Toronto that is also going in April. Might be good to hook up. We met Wednesday night at the Cannonball. Too bad you missed it!

Beachlover69
04-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I had them every day - my novia could not get enough of them - and it did do me no harm.
Never thought of it as could be risky, guess its as clean and fresh as in the restaurants - never tried the oysters though.
I'd say compared to the food you get on Thai beaches, the variety and quality in Sosua is under average.
BUT THE GIRLS ARE BETTER THERE - I prefer latinas to the asians. More passion, more fun, better looking (but more greedy and stubborn as well)

freakaccident
04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I had them every day - my novia could not get enough of them - and it did do me no harm.
Never thought of it as could be risky, guess its as clean and fresh as in the restaurants - never tried the oysters though.
I'd say compared to the food you get on Thai beaches, the variety and quality in Sosua is under average.
BUT THE GIRLS ARE BETTER THERE - I prefer latinas to the asians. More passion, more fun, better looking (but more greedy and stubborn as well)

I watched the shrimp and oyster guys walk around in the hot sun for hours upon hours with them. Hell no!!

eldorob
03-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I watched the shrimp and oyster guys walk around in the hot sun for hours upon hours with them. Hell no!!

Back to the Shrimp.... Never been there (20 days and a wake up) but I do some Mexican cooking on the patio, and I have one recipie that I guess is popular on some Mexican beaches, kids catch shrimp off of the pier, marinate, make a small fire on the beach, boil them in SEAWATER, and serve with lemon or something and then sell to beachgoers.....

Now the Cooking in the Seawater is bad enough, but I seem to remember another post here that suggested PEEING IN THE OCEAN to save money while on your DR trip.

Hmmmmmm, I will pass on the Beach shrimp...