PDA

View Full Version : The New Simply Red-- great choice

mikelodge
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
One Martinez up from Bologna and Don Andres. Or say from PC turn on street heading to Romonoff then at Martinez go right toward Coco and it is just up in first block on right.

All New, 5K US coffee, cappucino machine, pizza ovens, steam table all brand new completely covered top of the line equipment. EVen my US standards

Owner is Swiss and a chef seemed like nice guy. they offer nice service with quality example filets Migon many different ways for like 10 bucks and nice wine seleciton along with Belgium beer and much much more.

Check it out it was the best meal I had last trip. More to come on it with photos.

gdogg
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that red-headed guy could really sing. Really soulful. Wait...you're talking about a restaurant, aren't you. Never mind....
:rolleyes::lol:

mikelodge
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that red-headed guy could really sing. Really soulful. Wait...you're talking about a restaurant, aren't you. Never mind....
:rolleyes::lol:

Hey now, the guy is sort of light redish brown hair but seriously nice menu with reasonable prices. Some of you guys will like this.

I had steak and I will try pizza next trip because Bologna special Bologna pizza for 10 bucks was soggy in the middle but that is common on a loaded pizza and had some yellow shit like summer squash on the loaded one, yuck. I filled the ass (ash) tray with that shit off one 12 inch pizza. But it was still good except that yellow summer squash on there.

gdogg
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
"Ass tray"? That must have been one kinky chica!

ralphie1
01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

guess you use that for the chunks. ewwwwww

mikelodge
01-18-2010, 10:33 AM

I had a touch of the Absolute yesterday. :lol:

Ass tray was funny and I didn't even see it. I must have a psychological need for more ass, deep seated in my brain and look it is even hidden in there perhaps spelled different in the DR but Chulo, Cholo whatever I need some and never did climb Mt. Kimberly after Medic said she said no to Chulo.

What the hell can a guy count on anymore:rofl: I did get a taste of fucking chulo later and it wet my appetite.

DCIronman
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I had a touch of the Absolute yesterday. :lol:

What the hell can a guy count on anymore:rofl: I did get a taste of chulo later and it wet my appetite.

*Gasp* YOU TASTED A CHULO?!?!

God, Mike. There's not enough Absolute in the world. I think you should've taken that one to the grave with you.

Did he pay you? Or did you do it for free? I hope you at least charged him.

Damn!!!

gdogg
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess we SHOULD cut him some slack. He must've had a real tough night with all the Absolut, chulo tasting, and whatever that "ass tray" sex act is. Next time Mike, take a wingman with you!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yayow
01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
ML we kid you cause we enjoy you, we never know what the hell may come off your keyboard, but I tell you I can't wait to read what's next. :eek::corky:

mikelodge
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
*Gasp* YOU TASTED A CHULO?!?!

God, Mike. There's not enough Absolute in the world. I think you should've taken that one to the grave with you.

Did he pay you? Or did you do it for free? I hope you at least charged him.

Damn!!!

I thought Chulo is a putas ass nothing to do with a guy :confused:

DCIronman
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM

That's a "culo". The term "chulo" is often used when referring to a guy who gets his money from chicas who fuck gringos. He usually demands sex from them as well, and a huge percentage of Sosua have one.

I knew what you meant Mike. I just couldn't resist yanking your chain. You're always such a good sport about it.

And thanks for the restaurant review.

WickedWillie
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM

A 'chulo' (chew-low) literally means a 'pimp', or in the Dominican context can be used to mean 'boyfriend' who lives off or enjoys the money that his chica earns. He does not neccessarily 'pimp' her out in the usual definition.

They all usually have them.

A puta's ass (or anyones') is a 'culo' (coo-low) or 'culito' (coo-lee-toe)and literally means 'asshole' although in the Dominican context has come to cover the whole ass area.

I hope you fucked the latter not the former, but hey I'm liberally minded!!!

JD426
01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
culito is her ass. Culo is her ass hole...

jeeeshhhhh

never mind, Willie beat me to it...

mikelodge
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
That's a "culo". The term "chulo" is often used when referring to a guy who gets his money from chicas who fuck gringos. He usually demands sex from them as well, and a huge percentage of Sosua have one.

I knew what you meant Mike. I just couldn't resist yanking your chain. You're always such a good sport about it.

And thanks for the restaurant review.

This explains why I had such a hard time getting girls to agree to the ass.

I must have looked like a dumb ass saying to girls Chulo and pointing to them and saying Mi want Chulo. They must have thought I wanted to Pimp them.
I got some serious eye rolls and funny looks. :lol:

I don't care they will have forgotten when I get back next month. :rofl:

Next time I will remember Culo and increase my ass number.

JD426
01-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Please tell me you're not serious...

mikelodge
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
culito is her ass. Culo is her ass hole...

jeeeshhhhh

never mind, Willie beat me to it...

I will remember CooLOW now it is time to drive to town and download some pics onto my laptop at Starbucks for posting. I found one of the two SM cards I hope I didn't lose the other one it had some funny shit on it. :lol:

Beads
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
No wonder these chicas got confused he kept asking for their pimp :rofl:

I wonder how many chicas went back to their chulos and said I had this potential customer that kept asking for you last night! :rofl:

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
No wonder these chicas got confused he kept asking for their pimp :rofl:

I wonder how many chicas went back to their chulos and said I had this potential customer that kept asking for you last night! :rofl:

No shit, and JD asked if I was serious :lol:

I will always be the first to laugh at myself just as easily as laughing at others. :p
It is all about having fun and staying safe. :corky:

Jimbo44
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
To be honest with you, I really do not think a large percentage of these chicas running loose in Sosua have pimps,, chulos, etc. I think I would have noticed by now. Pimps like to hang out in the background, and I have yet to see one in all my travels. I have taken many a chica back to her pad in Charamichos and even further off the beaten path on my rented motos many mornings. Even been up into some of their casas.

PapiQueRico
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Just to continue the Spanish 101. There is a term for ass cheeks which can be used in relatively polite company. That would be Nalgas

Jimmydr
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
To be honest with you, I really do not think a large percentage of these chicas running loose in Sosua have pimps,, chulos, etc. I think I would have noticed by now. Pimps like to hang out in the background, and I have yet to see one in all my travels. I have taken many a chica back to her pad in Charamichos and even further off the beaten path on my rented motos many mornings. Even been up into some of their casas.

I agree with you.

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Just to continue the Spanish 101. There is a term for ass cheeks which can be used in relatively polite company. That would be Nalgas

And the Beer from Belgium and the wine at Simply Red was very good. :lol:

Jimbo44
01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Somenone needs to go and take some pics of the food, the outside and inside of this place. I ride my moto past that area every day on my trips to just get away from it all....

DCIronman
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM

They're not really pimps in the classic sense of the term. Like Willie said, more of a boyfriend that hangs around and leeches off them, taking their money and demanding sex.
And you don't really think that such a guy would make his presence known to you, do you? They know how most gringos feel about such things, and they're not about to mess up their meal ticket. But they are one of the reasons that most of these chicas never get ahead, no matter how much money we give them. Of course, a lot of them have family to take care of. But a lot of them also have a chulo that takes their money. I've actually seen and talked to a few. And I've had frank talks with some of these chicas. They'll open up and tell you some shit once they realize that you know the game and aren't about to buy into the gringo fantasy.

We may not like to acknowledge them. But chulos are a part of the mongering scene. Especially in the tourist areas.

Jimbo44
01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Perhaps you have a valid point, but as long as they do not get in my way, all is good!!!

SeaWeed
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
most of the Chicas that I know don't have a 'chulo' in the DR......if they do they are in the minority.......most Chicas are freelancers.......as is most of the Caribbean.....

I didn't even see mi first pimp in Jamaica till about 5 years ago.......for years and years the Prosts have always freelance........ and all the money goes for personal expenses and then to Grandma who is usually taking care of all the Prosts pickney's(kids) stuff.........and the fathers have all run off.........having more pickney's with more women......and fathers never support the pickneys........it's always up to the mother and grandmother......sad mon

DCIronman
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
And the Beer from Belgium and the wine at Simply Red was very good. :lol:

Lol! Sorry mike. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll definitely check this place out when I'm there in a few weeks.

Did you make it to Big D's on this trip? I've been thinking about those ribs and beer can chicken. Is he in his new spot yet? It'd be great to be able to get his food after hours.

DCIronman
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
In the interest of preserving Mike's thread, I'm gonna start another on the subject of "chulos".

It's an interesting (at least to me) subject. And I have some specific examples of chicas (some of whom are quite popular on this board) who I know have or have had chulos. They're much more common than people think.

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Lol! Sorry mike. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll definitely check this place out when I'm there in a few weeks.

Did you make it to Big D's on this trip? I've been thinking about those ribs and beer can chicken. Is he in his new spot yet? It'd be great to be able to get his food after hours.

Tiger wanted to eat there if there was an all u can eat but I asked alot of people and everyone said no.

I never made it down to the beach since it rained everyday. I did make it to Simply Red.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414b56444ac707a.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=69708)

SeaWeed
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
we haven't heard anything yet from Tiger.......wonder if him had to dodge any flying beer bottles at SeaCrets this trip.......lol

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
we haven't heard anything yet from Tiger.......wonder if him had to dodge any flying beer bottles at SeaCrets this trip.......lol

I think he and his 2 wingman friends can take care of each other just fine. :)

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Tiger wanted to eat there if there was an all u can eat but I asked alot of people and everyone said no.

I never made it down to the beach since it rained everyday. I did make it to Simply Red.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=69708)

Tiger if you are reading this and still there I figured ( found ) out where the all u can eat bbq is on Thursday. I told you about La Rocas on Friday but I think you knew that. PS I owe you a beer from Central before your friends bailed at LP.

Jimbo44
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=69708)

Black Box has a good All u can eat every Thursday at 5pm.. It has been mentioned several times in several threads!!

mikelodge
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Black Box has a good All u can eat every Thursday at 5pm.. It has been mentioned several times in several threads!!

Thanks for not letting my drama build for an hour or two Jimbo. :p:rofl:

I was going to tell Tiger that and everyone else in a hour or so.

Should have known the legendary Jimbo would have known that.

Do you know about the all U can eat sushi place? :p

vagabond
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I've been there 2 times, and think the food there is excelent, it's realy good. I'm not agree that it's so inexpensive though, when they add the 26 % to the bill.
He should change the waitress thoug. The two haitians working there is totally useless, one of them must be his girlfriend, that can be the only reason shes there. Last time he also had a Dominican girl there, and she wasn't to bad.
I had a taste of the pizza there, and think thats the only thing I won't reccomend, it wasn't good at all, but the rest of the food there is realy realy good and delicious. The salad dressing he has is the best I ever tasted.

mikelodge
01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I've been there 2 times, and think the food there is excelent, it's realy good. I'm not agree that it's so inexpensive though, when they add the 26 % to the bill.
He should change the waitress thoug. The two haitians working there is totally useless, one of them must be his girlfriend, that can be the only reason shes there. Last time he also had a Dominican girl there, and she wasn't to bad.
I had a taste of the pizza there, and think thats the only thing I won't reccomend, it wasn't good at all, but the rest of the food there is realy realy good and delicious. The salad dressing he has is the best I ever tasted.

Someone said one of those Haitians is his wife and several posted on DR 1 that those 2 don't know how to serve also that the loud music sucks (merengue) but when he plays Simply Red :confused:they like it but to repetitive :confused:

nnjdave
01-29-2010, 12:55 AM

I tried Big D's several times on my 1/10-1/16 trip, he wasn't open once, but I think it was just because it rained every day.

I also walked over to Simply Red, but it wasn't open, about 6PM on Friday. Ended up having a pretty decent meal at Bologna. Then beer at Lou's. Some how, the beer at Lou's happened every night.

Jimbo44
01-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Mikelodge, no I have not heard of the all u can eat sushi, donde esta??

mikelodge
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Mikelodge, no I have not heard of the all u can eat sushi, donde esta??

That would be anywhere you wanted to eat all the tuna fish you can keep down like in between the lips of this

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_160414b4e0fe1ea485.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=69535)

It was meant as a joke :biggrin:

Jimbo44
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I will pass on her, but I certainly enjoyed this piece of sushi!!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/68524ace00872cf56.jpg

mikelodge
01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I tried Big D's several times on my 1/10-1/16 trip, he wasn't open once, but I think it was just because it rained every day.

I also walked over to Simply Red, but it wasn't open, about 6PM on Friday. Ended up having a pretty decent meal at Bologna. Then beer at Lou's. Some how, the beer at Lou's happened every night.

Owner who told me he was Swiss and a chef said they open everyday by 11am and are open late. That week we were both there he was closed a few times when the rain ruined everything. I will be going back.

Medic and I each had the pizza at Bologna and it was ok except for on the one named Bologna (there loaded one) it was heavily hit with yellow squash or a type of yellow zucchini which I picked off and there was enough to fill the ash tray.

It was good enough although a bit soggy in the center but that is common on a loaded pizza. The worst thing was the service. We asked for Parmesan cheese when we ordered and had to ask two more times.

Medic asked for napkins twice and I said Serviettes on the second try and finally we got some when he saw us get up to get 2 off another table.

Jimbo44
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I can trully say that the 1st time I ever got the shits in Sosua out of the 3 times I unfortunatly came down with them, was eating a salad at Bologna. I was with 3 guys, I think Beads and Jimmy were there, and I was the only one who had a salad.

mikelodge
01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I can trully say that the 1st time I ever got the shits in Sosua out of the 3 times I unfortunatly came down with them, was eating a salad at Bologna. I was with 3 guys, I think Beads and Jimmy were there, and I was the only one who had a salad.

Did you toss your salad?? :rofl::rofl:

Sorry Jimbo I couldn't resist that one. :D

Nothing worth than the shits when you are trying in the middle of a good session.

Apos
01-29-2010, 06:48 PM
I had dinner there very recently with friends and we all enjoyed the meal very much. We had 3 entrees: Spaghetti Bolognese, Grilled chicken with Curry Sauce, with a side of veg, and Fillet de Res (a decent basic steak)...sorry no pictures of the food this time! :D

The menu is entirely in Spanish and one of my friends could not read it. The waitress attempted to assist until the Owner, a great guy from Belgium, quickly came over to introduce himself. He was a great help and offered some excellent suggestions as well. We had an interesting conversation with him while waiting for the food.

Dinner was prepared to order and did not take long to arrive, with a basket of very good garlic bread arriving quickly. We ate leisurely, and were not disturbed by overly attentive staff, but they were available when we wished.

The total bill, for 3 people, drinks and tax included in the pricing, was just under $1000 pesos and we left a generous tip. :wink:
We skipped coffee and desert...and went to the clubs instead! :lol:

Overall I would rate it highly at 3/4 stars :iconTU: and recommend it to friends. It's somewhat comparable to Baily's Restaurant with perhaps a smaller menu. We arrived nineish and were the only customers although I bet this will soon change.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and there is a large club to the side and rear. It's the old "La Canoa" disco/tipico redone. They have have live bands and plan to continue to. I will definitely come to see the bands and eat here regularly.

mikelodge
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I had dinner there very recently with friends and we all enjoyed the meal very much. We had 3 entrees: Spaghetti Bolognese, Grilled chicken with Curry Sauce, with a side of veg, and Fillet de Res (a decent basic steak)...sorry no pictures of the food this time! :D

The menu is entirely in Spanish and one of my friends could not read it. The waitress attempted to assist until the Owner, a great guy from Belgium, quickly came over to introduce himself. He was a great help and offered some excellent suggestions as well. We had an interesting conversation with him while waiting for the food.

Dinner was prepared to order and did not take long to arrive, with a basket of very good garlic bread arriving quickly. We ate leisurely, and were not disturbed by overly attentive staff, but they were available when we wished.

The total bill, for 3 people, drinks and tax included in the pricing, was just under $1000 pesos and we left a generous tip. :wink:
We skipped coffee and desert...and went to the clubs instead! :lol:

Overall I would rate it highly at 3/4 stars :iconTU: and recommend it to friends. It's somewhat comparable to Baily's Restaurant with perhaps a smaller menu. We arrived nineish and were the only customers although I bet this will soon change.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and there is a large club to the side and rear. It's the old "La Canoa" disco/tipico redone. They have have live bands and plan to continue to. I will definitely come to see the bands and eat here regularly.

How are the bands? There wasn't any the week of the rain when I was there. The steak was decent though at about $10 like 350RD. Did he stop charging the tax seperate like many posted on DR1. I never noticed if we paid it additionally or not because we had alot of drinks and our tab was much higher.

Apos
01-30-2010, 07:49 AM
There was live music advertised for they grand opening but I did not attend but will post after the next one assuming I go.

The tax was definitely included in the menu pricing and was also brokenout on the bill so you could see exactly how much it was.
How are the bands? There wasn't any the week of the rain when I was there. The steak was decent though at about $10 like 350RD. Did he stop charging the tax seperate like many posted on DR1. I never noticed if we paid it additionally or not because we had alot of drinks and our tab was much higher.

mikelodge
01-30-2010, 10:00 AM
There was live music advertised for they grand opening but I did not attend but will post after the next one assuming I go.

The tax was definitely included in the menu pricing and was also brokenout on the bill so you could see exactly how much it was.

Great Thanks, I always hate that 16% plus 10% surprise at the end. Even if I know they do it like Baileys and choose to still eat there anyway because I like it the tax bugs me. I think most of us are smart enough to divide an amount say for simplicity by 4 and figure that if our dinner is 400 pesos they will add a 100 but it seems to piss me off to see it. :mad:

I would prefer they just put the total on the menu. Then bringing that lame ass treasure chest with your bill like you are going to fill it up with a big tip cracks me up. :lol: I will visit Simply read in just over a week again.

The owner told me he was Swiss and you and someone else said Belguim Guy so being he has a lot of beer from Belguim I am guessing a Swiss guy who is from Belguim not that it matters. They both have great chocolates :lol: