PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again with the closing times!!!

Gutter Meat
01-23-2010, 01:57 AM
FROM SOSUA NEWS!!!

Sale of alcohol in colmados no longer allowed?

The Minister of the Home Office, Yadira Peña, announced at a recent press conference that the closing times for colmados will be changed.

This means that (on weekdays) they may only remain open, and thus sell alcohol, until 11pm, and (at weekends, i.e. Friday and Saturday) until midnight. According to the minister, studies have shown that most criminal activities, such as robberies, take place in colmados, and he thinks that earlier closing times will ensure that these locations are no longer interesting for criminal activity. The closing times for discos will also be changed, and owners that do not keep to these new rules will be fined. The minister could not say exactly when these new measures will come into force, or whether they will also apply to tourist towns such as Sosúa.

gdogg
01-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Wasn't that the time they closed in Sosua anyway?

psriches
01-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Wasn't that the time they closed in Sosua anyway?Negative!!!! Classico, Sosua Life and El Flow(calmado) were open very late. At least to 2 or 3am.

Speaking of El Flow, one night last weekend i saw 3 Hummers and 1 Mercedes jeep parked out front. WTF!!!!!!! :eek:

eldorob
01-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't understand these people, do they actually think that changing closing times every six months is a good idea? I mean come on, do something usefull like promoting education and bringing in some industry for your crummy little island. :confused:

Speaking of El Flow, one night last weekend i saw 3 Hummers and 1 Mercedes jeep parked out front. WTF!!!!!!! :eek:

Yeah, that always baffles me too. Who's driving those things? Driving a hummer elsewhere is one thing. But I couldn't flaunt it like that in a place like sosua.

And I have seen Dominicanas driving expensive SUV's around Sosua, but I look at that a little differently. It's their country, if they want to drive an $80K car in front of other dominicans that are making two bucks a day, that's one thing.

But as a foreigner, I couldn't do it. When I'm in town I rent my beat up little suv or toyota and BLEND BABY. :rolleyes:

gdogg
01-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Negative!!!! Classico, Sosua Life and El Flow(calmado) were open very late. At least to 2 or 3am.

I thought he was talking about the colmados. I know the clubs stay open past then. I missed the last sentence. I proved my own point....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/34444b58d0774522b.jpg

JD426
01-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Must be the rash of recent KIDNAPPINGS that is causing this high level of alert.

gdogg
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
They probably wanted to do this for the longest, and the earthquake gave them an excuse. Definitely kickback related.

Hemp
01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Peter any thoughts on this??

Beads
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't understand these people, do they actually think that changing closing times every six months is a good idea? I mean come on, do something usefull like promoting education and bringing in some industry for your crummy little island. :confused:

Yeah, that always baffles me too. Who's driving those things? Driving a hummer elsewhere is one thing. But I couldn't flaunt it like that in a place like sosua.

And I have seen Dominicanas driving expensive SUV's around Sosua, but I look at that a little differently. It's their country, if they want to drive an $80K car in front of other dominicans that are making two bucks a day, that's one thing.

But as a foreigner, I couldn't do it. When I'm in town I rent my beat up little suv or toyota and BLEND BABY. :rolleyes:

As both a tourist or a Dominican driving around in very expensive cars and flaunting you have money is probably not a good idea.

Someone with nothing to lose sees you as a TARGET!

shredder
01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Must be the rash of recent KIDNAPPINGS that is causing this high level of alert.

Did I miss this on the news? What kind of kidnappings and where?

shredder
01-23-2010, 01:15 PM
In Colombia when I saw over the top expensive cars I always assumed they belonged to people that EVERYONE knew you don't mess with...As in "Are you sure you want to mess with Pablo Escabar? I don't think that's a very good idea."

Beads
01-23-2010, 01:19 PM
In Colombia when I saw over the top expensive cars I always assumed they belonged to people that EVERYONE knew you don't mess with...As in "Are you sure you want to mess with Pablo Escabar? I don't think that's a very good idea."

While to the average person with a sane mind your correct. To someone who is hungry and thirsty and has nothing or needs thier next fix hes the perfect target. Maybe not to rob straight ahead at gunpoint and be outmatched but to rob his car while its parked or go through his pockets.

Hell hes got so much money he probably wont even notice it gone is the mentality.

psriches
01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought he was talking about the colmados. I know the clubs stay open past then. I missed the last sentence. I proved my own point....And on a side note to others, El Flow is a calmado!!

Beads
01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
And on a side note to others, El Flow is a calmado!!

Good point wonder how or if this will effect them. Im sure the other bars in the area would love El Flow to be forced to close early.

gdogg
01-23-2010, 05:30 PM
And on a side note to others, El Flow is a calmado!!

Man, don't make me come up there!!
:lol:

Haven't been to El Flow...thought it was a bar. Learn something new every day.

prtyr2
01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
While to the average person with a sane mind your correct. To someone who is hungry and thirsty and has nothing or needs thier next fix hes the perfect target. Maybe not to rob straight ahead at gunpoint and be outmatched but to rob his car while its parked or go through his pockets.

Hell hes got so much money he probably wont even notice it gone is the mentality.

Depends who is driving. I have seen lots of early twenties dominican yols driving escalades.
It doesn't take a lot of brains to figure where they go the cash to buy one. if I see a bunch of tigres with rocking jeepetas. . . .I move on. When some dude wants to take them out. . . .they are not very concerner about collateral damage.

SeaWeed
01-23-2010, 06:06 PM
And on a side note to others, El Flow is a calmado!!yes it is.......they probably would be the most affected by the new hours.......though for mi sitting der having mi Presidentes before mi head to Classicos won't affect mi in the least.......

WickedWillie
01-23-2010, 07:21 PM
FROM SOSUA NEWS!!!

Sale of alcohol in colmados no longer allowed?

The Minister of the Home Office, Yadira Peña, announced at a recent press conference that the closing times for colmados will be changed.

This means that (on weekdays) they may only remain open, and thus sell alcohol, until 11pm, and (at weekends, i.e. Friday and Saturday) until midnight. According to the minister, studies have shown that most criminal activities, such as robberies, take place in colmados, and he thinks that earlier closing times will ensure that these locations are no longer interesting for criminal activity. The closing times for discos will also be changed, and owners that do not keep to these new rules will be fined. The minister could not say exactly when these new measures will come into force, or whether they will also apply to tourist towns such as Sosúa.

This was in all the national papers a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty sure that this was retracted as a misunderstanding or mis-reporting a couple of days later.

So it ain't gonna happen.

WickedWillie
01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
As both a tourist or a Dominican driving around in very expensive cars and flaunting you have money is probably not a good idea.

Someone with nothing to lose sees you as a TARGET!

Possibly true, but another school of thought is that if you drive such vehicles then it may well be that you are well connected and not to be fucked with.

Dominicans certainly give respect to nice wheels.

JuanElGriego
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Possibly true, but another school of thought is that if you drive such vehicles then it may well be that you are well connected and not to be fucked with.

Dominicans certainly give respect to nice wheels.

Can't speak on the DR, but so often around here the young guys driving around in the nicest cars are only leasing them, a.k.a. Rent-a-Center playas.

givengo440
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
During my last trip my boy and his wingman stayed at Casa Linda just out side of Sosua and one night as I rode the motorcycle to his villa there was a big party. My future tour guide Johny told me that a young drug dealer just brought the villa and was celebrating. To make a long story short they had some nice toys (cars) out there Benzes, and a few suped up street racers right out front and in the yard. Johny walked me to the villa and I stopeed to check out this car (not sure what it was) with suicide doors, lights, and a crazy system. The guy came out to inspect me I can't recall his name Johny explained who I was and he said cool and actually invited me in. I will tell you this some of the baddest chicas I had seen maybe a few I saw on the strip but for the most part I had never seen these chics before. But these dudes looked like babies 18-30 tops and I think I am stretching it and most were packing steel. Anyway to say the least I am sure there will be lots of flashy shit around town in my opinion the town is evolving and the the young guys gaining power are heavily influenced by what they see on TV.

ralphie1
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
During my last trip my boy and his wingman stayed at Casa Linda just out side of Sosua and one night as I rode the motorcycle to his villa there was a big party. My future tour guide Johny told me that a young drug dealer just brought the villa and was celebrating. To make a long story short they had some nice toys (cars) out there Benzes, and a few suped up street racers right out front and in the yard. Johny walked me to the villa and I stopeed to check out this car (not sure what it was) with suicide doors, lights, and a crazy system. The guy came out to inspect me I can't recall his name Johny explained who I was and he said cool and actually invited me in. I will tell you this some of the baddest chicas I had seen maybe a few I saw on the strip but for the most part I had never seen these chics before. But these dudes looked like babies 18-30 tops and I think I am stretching it and most were packing steel. Anyway to say the least I am sure there will be lots of flashy shit around town in my opinion the town is evolving and the the young guys gaining power are heavily influenced by what they see on TV.

man, you are playing with fire there. why get caught in the crossfire?