PDA

View Full Version : Italian killed in La Union

WickedWillie
01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm hearing that an Italian gringo was murdered in La Union on Weds. night by his Haitian girlfriend and her chulo.

A domestic apparently but I've been told he was dismembered.

Politur did a huge round up of Haitians in Sosua and Cabarete yesterday.

SeaWeed
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
things are out of control on the North Coast......isn't that like four gringo murders over the last couple months......

never known four tourist/expats to get killed in Negril, Jamaica and that is close to 30 years of traveling and living der...

MrHappy
01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm hearing that an Italian gringo was murdered in La Union on Weds. night by his Haitian girlfriend and her chulo.

Hmmm, strange.. I haven't read anything about it in any of the dailies.

I wonder if I missed it? It surely would have been front page news.

bigtittylicker
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately most of the murders of gringos in the Cabarete, Puerto Plata including torre alta, and Sosua is when people wear too much jewelry and flash too much cash and from what I have read or seen on the news has been mostly Haitians, however several times in Sto. Dmgo, La union which is a small poor village near the airport, and other bad neighborhoods just b/c I have on a pair of Nike Air Jordans people be staring like they want to rob my sneakers.(They were all Dominican) As far as most of the recent gringo murders in the north coast area having to do with Haitians maybe it has something to do with their national religion being Vodoo.

Do not trust anyone. If that is your #1 rule, you should be ok. MOst of the time, gringos place too much trust in strangers and then have them as maids and gardeners, let them have too much access. Then they cut them up and hide them in the well and it takes 2 weeks for the police to find them al lfor a little cash. Case in point in torre alta last year, again 2 haitian butlers, gardeners, etc. puerto plata.

USe your heads please. Rule #2 try to look like an average joe and do not flash flex or floss, no gold jewelery or diamonds.

Rule #3 Stay in the tourist areas, be extra careful if you go to Cabarete Personally I do not like the one street strip. I was there a few times in the day, and do not feel safe, hardly any tourist police and too many criminal looking types, anyone can walk up to back of your hotel from the beach. Did not see any police on the beach. Stay away from Santo Domingo (too many theives), Boca Chica - you are out of your mind to go there - if security outside the hotels and beach need machine guns to protect gringos, why are you there in the first place. I know 4 differenet people different times who were robbed or managed to run away, and Santiago (a big city - again many ladrones). I know I am going to get some heat for saying to stay out of SD santiago and cabarete, in the light of the recent murders of gringos, my rules will keep you safer.

Sosua has many tourist police outside the clubs protecting the gringos and at the beach, etc. Other places not so many. There are dozens of robberies of people and bodegas going on in Sto. Dmgo. and Santiago since July if you watch the news over there. THe economy is bad and worsening. Some police and involved in kindnapping families for ransom until the next day or 2 days later they are "found" and those police are fired and arrested when the presidents special police team is sent to find them. You are in a 3rd world country where many times in Sto. Dmgo. the police date a woman, fall in love although she is married, then shoot the esposo, husband, novio, boyfriend plant a gun and say he tried to rob someone and the cop shot him in defense. There is much corruption at every level in the gov't.

#4 Be in your hotel before 2am. Again stay out as late as you want, I have seen things go on late at night that possibly could keep you from making it home for good. The tourist police leave the main calle pedro clisante strip around 2-3 am. Then you are on your own. Every criminal in the Dr and many others all have illegal guns or some legal. IF you know where and how to look many have them in the waistband. Classicos pats them down and wont allow it, but that is why many locals stay downstairs at the other bars outside. Just like back home in the states after 2am, in the bad neighborhoods, the creeps come out. The burglars, murderers, more drug dealers then early day, etc. ITs like that everywhere. After 2am you have no business being in the street unless you are willing ot invite problems. The locals in the area know when the tourist police leave the area in Sosua. MOst of them are good people and will not mess with tourists b/c they will be shot on sight when found by police never to have a trial. But when people are poor and desperate and depressed and start using drugs, like cocaine, common sense goes out the window.

I have seen a lot over there and I know what I am talking about. If you live there you need a legal gun to carry at all times and A shotgun under your bed when you sleep and good security, iron gates and bars, and a loudass alarm system. and maybe a good guard dog.

These rules should be followed especially if you are solo. If in a group ok its better, but they just killed a gringo for $4,000 pesos. About $140-$150 US, wake up.

I truly believe the reason many of the gringo murders where the Haitians dismemembered them is they practive Voodoo. I personally avoid them at all costs. Yes I know they are not all like that, but most of em I have run into including the chicas in Sosua, I do not care for company nor conversation. Completely different culturally, not my taste. Was with a few Haitian chicas in past, they think they are gangsta. They have no idea what Gangsta is. I almost hung one of them over the balcony by her ankles.

However, the vast majority I've run into whether it be motoconcho drivers, street vendors, etc. are rude as hell.

Rule #5 only carry enough money in pesos for what you need for your journey to the beach, discoteca, etc. and put half in each pocket. This way should you have trouble like a robbery, you can give up your money in one pocket, and not lose that much. worst case if they go in your pockets, you still only lose so much. dont fight give it up and keep your life. its only money.

Rule #6
Do not drink so much that you lose awareness or are careless of who is around you. Maybe at bb's you can afford to get really wasted b/c its secure. But out in the street before you get to your hotel no. Also do not trust the chicas, you do not know them.

rule # 7 do not stay anywhere that does not have a safe for your money. or armed security.

rule #8 beware of the chicas, more beware of the hardcore ones, not only the Haitians, many of the girls have chulos or boyfriends that allow them to work b/c they are lazy and the girls give them the money. some of the chulos are drug dealers. Try to stick to sweet innocent non hardcore types that are not too aggressive. Be wary when the chicas is pushy to get you out of the bar/club with 3 of her friends to your room and says to leave your friends at the bar if they want to stay.

rule #9, rent a car to drive out of Sosua, and to Sto Dmgo or other places at your own risk. BE careful where you stop to pee and get a drink. Unfortunately some people may be watching you. And if you do not know where you are going, be careful where you stop for directions. Do not drive at night, its dark as all hell, in some places and more dangerous, many drunk drunk drivers. many deaths due to this. I have driven through santiago to Sto Dmgo many times. never had problem. But the odds get worse, eventually something is bound to happen. especially with the bad economy worsening.

Only my experience. But ive been there like 20 something times in the last 4 years. what do i know?

Hopefully these "rules" help everyone stay safe, nothing is foolproof.

weyland
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
As far as most of the recent gringo murders in the north coast area having to do with Haitians maybe it has something to do with their national religion being Vodoo.

I truly believe the reason many of the gringo murders where the Haitians dismemembered them is they practive Voodoo.
Totally stupid comments. Do you have the slightest knowledge of the Haitian Vodou religion other than what you may have picked up from that erudite scholar Pat Robertson? Obviously not!

I personally avoid them at all costs. Yes I know they are not all like that, but most of em I have run into including the chicas in Sosua, I do not care for company nor conversation. Completely different culturally, not my taste. Was with a few Haitian chicas in past, they think they are gangsta. They have no idea what Gangsta is. I almost hung one of them over the balcony by her ankles.

However, the vast majority I've run into whether it be motoconcho drivers, street vendors, etc. are rude as hell.

That is your prerogative. Each to his own taste. But I would say exactly the opposite myself and so do many of my friends, including some who have lived on the North Coast for up to 17 years. We generally seek out the company of Haitians as being more genuine, more hard-working, more honest and more cultured than Dominicans (not that that is saying much, I agree).

As ever I except the hardcore clique of Haitians who hang out near the Merengue Bar. They have become totally dominicanized. Also it is impossible to say how the present Haitian Holocaust will affect the mood and behaviour of Haitians. Many of them must at their wit's end nowadays worrying about their loved ones and their homes.

swiggy
01-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately most of the murders of gringos in the Cabarete, Puerto Plata including torre alta, and Sosua is when people wear too much jewelry and flash too much cash and from what I have read or seen on the news has been mostly Haitians, however several times in Sto. Dmgo, La union which is a small poor village near the airport, and other bad neighborhoods just b/c I have on a pair of Nike Air Jordans people be staring like they want to rob my sneakers.(They were all Dominican) As far as most of the recent gringo murders in the north coast area having to do with Haitians maybe it has something to do with their national religion being Vodoo.

Do not trust anyone. If that is your #1 rule, you should be ok. MOst of the time, gringos place too much trust in strangers and then have them as maids and gardeners, let them have too much access. Then they cut them up and hide them in the well and it takes 2 weeks for the police to find them al lfor a little cash. Case in point in torre alta last year, again 2 haitian butlers, gardeners, etc. puerto plata.

USe your heads please. Rule #2 try to look like an average joe and do not flash flex or floss, no gold jewelery or diamonds.

Rule #3 Stay in the tourist areas, be extra careful if you go to Cabarete Personally I do not like the one street strip. I was there a few times in the day, and do not feel safe, hardly any tourist police and too many criminal looking types, anyone can walk up to back of your hotel from the beach. Did not see any police on the beach. Stay away from Santo Domingo (too many theives), Boca Chica - you are out of your mind to go there - if security outside the hotels and beach need machine guns to protect gringos, why are you there in the first place. I know 4 differenet people different times who were robbed or managed to run away, and Santiago (a big city - again many ladrones). I know I am going to get some heat for saying to stay out of SD santiago and cabarete, in the light of the recent murders of gringos, my rules will keep you safer.

Sosua has many tourist police outside the clubs protecting the gringos and at the beach, etc. Other places not so many. There are dozens of robberies of people and bodegas going on in Sto. Dmgo. and Santiago since July if you watch the news over there. THe economy is bad and worsening. Some police and involved in kindnapping families for ransom until the next day or 2 days later they are "found" and those police are fired and arrested when the presidents special police team is sent to find them. You are in a 3rd world country where many times in Sto. Dmgo. the police date a woman, fall in love although she is married, then shoot the esposo, husband, novio, boyfriend plant a gun and say he tried to rob someone and the cop shot him in defense. There is much corruption at every level in the gov't.

#4 Be in your hotel before 2am. Again stay out as late as you want, I have seen things go on late at night that possibly could keep you from making it home for good. The tourist police leave the main calle pedro clisante strip around 2-3 am. Then you are on your own. Every criminal in the Dr and many others all have illegal guns or some legal. IF you know where and how to look many have them in the waistband. Classicos pats them down and wont allow it, but that is why many locals stay downstairs at the other bars outside. Just like back home in the states after 2am, in the bad neighborhoods, the creeps come out. The burglars, murderers, more drug dealers then early day, etc. ITs like that everywhere. After 2am you have no business being in the street unless you are willing ot invite problems. The locals in the area know when the tourist police leave the area in Sosua. MOst of them are good people and will not mess with tourists b/c they will be shot on sight when found by police never to have a trial. But when people are poor and desperate and depressed and start using drugs, like cocaine, common sense goes out the window.

I have seen a lot over there and I know what I am talking about. If you live there you need a legal gun to carry at all times and A shotgun under your bed when you sleep and good security, iron gates and bars, and a loudass alarm system. and maybe a good guard dog.

These rules should be followed especially if you are solo. If in a group ok its better, but they just killed a gringo for $4,000 pesos. About $140-$150 US, wake up.

I truly believe the reason many of the gringo murders where the Haitians dismemembered them is they practive Voodoo. I personally avoid them at all costs. Yes I know they are not all like that, but most of em I have run into including the chicas in Sosua, I do not care for company nor conversation. Completely different culturally, not my taste. Was with a few Haitian chicas in past, they think they are gangsta. They have no idea what Gangsta is. I almost hung one of them over the balcony by her ankles.

Rule #5 only carry enough money in pesos for what you need for your journey to the beach, discoteca, etc. and put half in each pocket. This way should you have trouble like a robbery, you can give up your money in one pocket, and not lose that much. worst case if they go in your pockets, you still only lose so much. dont fight give it up and keep your life. its only money.

Rule #6
Do not drink so much that you lose awareness or are careless of who is around you. Maybe at bb's you can afford to get really wasted b/c its secure. But out in the street before you get to your hotel no. Also do not trust the chicas, you do not know them.

rule # 7 do not stay anywhere that does not have a safe for your money. or armed security.

rule #8 beware of the chicas, more beware of the hardcore ones, not only the Haitians, many of the girls have chulos or boyfriends that allow them to work b/c they are lazy and the girls give them the money. some of the chulos are drug dealers. Try to stick to sweet innocent non hardcore types that are not too aggressive. Be wary when the chicas is pushy to get you out of the bar/club with 3 of her friends to your room and says to leave your friends at the bar if they want to stay.

rule #9, rent a car to drive out of Sosua, and to Sto Dmgo or other places at your own risk. BE careful where you stop to pee and get a drink. Unfortunately some people may be watching you. And if you do not know where you are going, be careful where you stop for directions. Do not drive at night, its dark as all hell, in some places and more dangerous, many drunk drunk drivers. many deaths due to this. I have driven through santiago to Sto Dmgo many times. never had problem. But the odds get worse, eventually something is bound to happen. especially with the bad economy worsening.

Only my experience. But ive been there like 20 something times in the last 4 years. what do i know?

Hopefully these "rules" help everyone stay safe, nothing is foolproof.

Half of your comments are common sense, the other half are really strange. If this is the way you see things you shouldnt bother going there.

Roy
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Anybody checked or know the FACTS on this?

1) Italian Killed
2) Dismembered
3) Hatiana
4) Chulo

Dismemberment is a sign of violent anger, not just something over a few dollars... or is it?

DMV
01-29-2010, 11:39 PM
As far as most of the recent gringo murders in the north coast area having to do with Haitians maybe it has something to do with their national religion being Vodoo.

Do not drive at night, its dark as all hell, in some places and more dangerous, many drunk drunk drivers. many deaths due to this.

I have driven through santiago to Sto Dmgo many times. never had problem. But the odds get worse, eventually something is bound to happen. especially with the bad economy worsening.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but you come off sounding.....
I would like to know, do you live in a major city in a developed country?

I don't know you but that voodoo statement disturbers me.

JD426
01-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Anybody checked or know the FACTS on this?

1) Italian Killed
2) Dismembered
3) Hatiana
4) Chulo

Dismemberment is a sign of violent anger, not just something over a few dollars... or is it?

I dunno, thats a good question. But from what I have read (not seen in person even once though) The Haitians seem to have this thing for Machetes, and dismembering peoples hands and other body parts. Its a very strange thing, or maybe just because they dont have Guns, but machetes are available eveywhere.
They even use dismemberment as punishement for relatively MINOR crimes. For example now, the Looters after the quake who are starving and just trying to feed their families, would have had their hands chopped off before the eathquake for the same crime. Their culture seems very different from anything WE can relate to. Again, only from what I have READ.

blacksultan
01-30-2010, 05:01 AM
I know you are trying to be helpful, but you come off sounding.....
I would like to know, do you live an a major city in a developed country?

I don't know you but that voodoo statement disturbers me.

Maybe he should concentrate on lickin' big titties instead of giving out advice and commentary.

weyland
01-30-2010, 07:05 AM
The Haitians seem to have this thing for Machetes.
Haïti has always been a very poor country and a rural country. People usually cannot afford to own more than one tool. Haitians have owned machetes for thousands of years (stretching back into their African past) and have become amazingly skilful with them. The design has evolved over that period to an optimum. They can use that one tool for its primary purpose of clearing land and harvesting crops, but also for pruning, for cooking, for leverage, for peeling (which they can do surprisingly delicately with what looks to us a clumsy tool), as a bottle opener, a tyre lever, a hammer, for smoothing plaster or mortar, and of course as a war weapon, and a hundred other uses. Therefore it is always likely to be the weapon at hand if they want to defend themselves or to attack anyone.

continentalmike
01-30-2010, 08:52 AM
BTL,

I believe you only try to help...

However, the tips you give do border on the very, very cautious... suited for people with very little experience outside a village community in a Western country.

The comments about people's motivations and/or religion might have better been ommitted to get your real message across..

I've been to all the places you mention, day and night, driving in my own car... never experienced anything untoward... that's not to say that some of your advice is not valid..

Bottom line:

1. Always keep your wits about you
2. Don't act in ways that would not be accepted back where you're from
3. Don't show off wealth
4. When in doubt, leave the area

WickedWillie
01-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Hmmm, strange.. I haven't read anything about it in any of the dailies.

I wonder if I missed it? It surely would have been front page news.

Mmm me too. But as you know not everything gets into the news media here.

Censorship perhaps on the sensitive issue of Haitians in the DR, especially at this time? There has been many occassions of retribution against Haitians.

WickedWillie
01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Whilst it may not be in the news media yet, my sources were first from a few Haitianas I know from Sosua and then confirmed by a contact in Politur.

Apparently this guy had a very stormy relationship with this chica over the last few months. Always fighting and arguing. I guess the breaking point was reached.

MrHappy
01-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Haïti has always been a very poor country and a rural country. People usually cannot afford to own more than one tool. Haitians have owned machetes for thousands of years (stretching back into their African past) and have become amazingly skilful with them. The design has evolved over that period to an optimum. They can use that one tool for its primary purpose of clearing land and harvesting crops, but also for pruning, for cooking, for leverage, for peeling (which they can do surprisingly delicately with what looks to us a clumsy tool), as a bottle opener, a tyre lever, a hammer, for smoothing plaster or mortar, and of course as a war weapon, and a hundred other uses. Therefore it is always likely to be the weapon at hand if they want to defend themselves or to attack anyone.

Watching a Haitian peeling an orange with a machete is something everyone should watch once.

On a related note, I met a Haitian girl on the beach in Boca Chica yesterday. She's one of the prettiest girls I've seen in a looong time.

Told me she had a boyfriend, and supports him doing manicures and pedicures. I asked if she does massages, and she said yes, but not in private, and no "funny business".

Note the "she supports him"... I'll never figure out why any woman supports ANY man..

Sorry for the hijack.

weyland
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
... supports him doing manicures and pedicures.
I wonder if she does those with a machete as well?

bentwire
01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Watching a Haitian peeling an orange with a machete is something everyone should watch once.

On a related note, I met a Haitian girl on the beach in Boca Chica yesterday. She's one of the prettiest girls I've seen in a looong time.

Told me she had a boyfriend, and supports him doing manicures and pedicures. I asked if she does massages, and she said yes, but not in private, and no "funny business".

Note the "she supports him"... I'll never figure out why any woman supports ANY man..

Sorry for the hijack.

what is funny is you rarely see a ungly woman supporting a man, its normaly a beautiful hot chick supporting a Xbox playing lazy ass

WickedWillie
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Update: it's now in the local papers.

Apparently a German not Italian and strangled not sliced and diced.

Anyone know Nancy?????

On Wednesday Bruno Netterdon, 60, was found strangled in an apartment in Villa Liberacion, La Union, Sosua. He had apparently been living in Room 11 at Hotel Orchidee, Sosua. The resident of the apartment in Villa Liberacion is a Haitian woman called Nancy, who has apparently gone on the run together with her boyfriend. A number of people have been detained.

http://www.periodicoelfaro.com.do/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1286:estrangulan-comerciante-aleman-y-dejan-su-cuerpo-abandonado-en-apartamento-&catid=1:ultimas-noticias&Itemid=54 (http://www.periodicoelfaro.com.do/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1286:estrangulan-comerciante-aleman-y-dejan-su-cuerpo-abandonado-en-apartamento-&catid=1:ultimas-noticias&Itemid=54)

http://www.hoy.com.do/el-pais/2010/1/28/311696/Hallan-cadaver-de-un-aleman-estrangulado (http://www.hoy.com.do/el-pais/2010/1/28/311696/Hallan-cadaver-de-un-aleman-estrangulado)

Beads
02-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Not too smart of this guy hanging out in Villa Liberaction especially at night its not a very safe place.I do not consider it a very safe location after dark let alone during the day.

Very little police presence is usually a good sign of who is in control of a specific area. Sometimes we have to use our heads for more than holding up our hats.

MrHappy
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Hello,
at this german web site you can see a photo of nancy
(click the first photo "DIESES MÄDEL IST ...")

geraldox

Cute............. but deadly

I doubt she strangled the guy, it was probably one of her male friends.

jensenspecial
02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
where is the link with the pic?

Cute............. but deadly

I doubt she strangled the guy, it was probably one of her male friends.

jensenspecial
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
found it, that is the killer-bitch

http://cid-0251566ed7abdaab.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/DIESES%20M%c3%84DEL%20IST%20VERANTWORTLICH%20F%c3%9cR%20DEN%20MORD%20AN%20MEINEM%20FREUNDeste%20chica%20es%20responsable%20del%20asesinato%20cruel%20en%20mi%20amigo/NANCY.jpg%202.jpg?ct=photos#resId/251566ED7ABDAAB!9246

tomgueguen
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
found it, that is the killer-bitch

http://cid-0251566ed7abdaab.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/DIESES%20M%c3%84DEL%20IST%20VERANTWORTLICH%20F%c3%9cR%20DEN%20MORD%20AN%20MEINEM%20FREUNDeste%20chica%20es%20responsable%20del%20asesinato%20cruel%20en%20mi%20amigo/NANCY.jpg%202.jpg?ct=photos#resId/251566ED7ABDAAB!9246

She's cute, so bad!!!

tomgueguen
02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
When you're 70 old having sexual relation for money with a 20 yo isn't without any risk....

weyland
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
When you're 70 old having sexual relation for money with a 20 yo isn't without any risk....
Luckily I'm only 69!

You guys have all missed the main lesson here. Never go with chicas who have piercings.

tomgueguen
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
You guys have all missed the main lesson here. Never go with chicas who have piercings.

That's not untrue

weyland
02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
That's not untrue
Piercings, tattoos, dyed hair indicate brain-dead trash.

I have been with a few with tattoos because you cannot always spot those until the clothes come off.

MrHappy
02-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Um.. 60... he was 60... 9 yrs. less than our good friend here.

blacksultan
02-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Piercings, tattoos, dyed hair indicate brain-dead trash.

I have been with a few with tattoos because you cannot always spot those until the clothes come off.

Dumb ass statement and your opinion. You have a right to both.

weyland
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Dumb ass statement and your opinion. You have a right to both.
Damn! Only one mild response? Jimmy likes me to stir up controversy. It is good for the post-count.

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM

What is with all the murders, attacks, robberies, kidnappings and just over all crime in Sosua and POP?

I just copied this from a Moderator on another board named Frank the Tank posted last week

Why are they bad mouthing our favortie destination there. Maybe the good thing is it will scare off some pussies afraid of a little street crime and without the easy victims the punk ass wanna be gangsters will leave to go to where they go instead.:confused: Here it is below

http://www.dr1.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
Is it just me that there has been a lot troubling and bad news coming out of Sosua and the north coast lately? I certainly think in the last 5 years the quality of that town has gone down the toilet. I can't see myself visiting or reccomending it to anyone. Even for a daytrip to the beach from Santiago. There are better beaches without the nonsense. Couple this with the shenanigans at the POP airport and why would anyone go?

ROVER
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Here is an interesting article from Dominican Watch Dog related to this thread :

Violent crimes up in Decemberhttp://dominicanwatchdog.org/th.php?p=upload/pages/240/murder-scene.gif&w=300&h=200Although December is known as a time for family gatherings (http://topics.forbes.com/family+gatherings/#referrer=GEXVGFIOMU) and the festive spirit, this December in the DR was marred by an increase in violent deaths. As of Sunday, the National Forensics Department registered that 145 people died violently, of whom 124 were men, and with gun violence (http://topics.forbes.com/gun+violence/#referrer=GEXVGFIOMU) being the number one cause of death. A total of 70 deaths were caused by bullet wounds. Of the victims, 117 were Dominicans, 23 were foreigners and 6 have yet to be determined. The week between the 7th and the 13th was the most violent, with 44 deaths, of which 25 were caused by guns.

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Here is an interesting article from Dominican Watch Dog related to this thread :

Violent crimes up in DecemberClick to see pic (http://dominicanwatchdog.org/th.php?p=upload/pages/240/murder-scene.gif&w=300&h=200)Although December is known as a time for family gatherings (http://topics.forbes.com/family+gatherings/#referrer=GEXVGFIOMU) and the festive spirit, this December in the DR was marred by an increase in violent deaths. As of Sunday, the National Forensics Department registered that 145 people died violently, of whom 124 were men, and with gun violence (http://topics.forbes.com/gun+violence/#referrer=GEXVGFIOMU) being the number one cause of death. A total of 70 deaths were caused by bullet wounds. Of the victims, 117 were Dominicans, 23 were foreigners and 6 have yet to be determined. The week between the 7th and the 13th was the most violent, with 44 deaths, of which 25 were caused by guns.

That is very troubling. Dangerous place to travel to if you don't have some serious training or a large group of tough guys willing to mix it up and get into it.

WickedWillie
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
The killers, Nancy and her Haitian chulo, were apprehended late last week in Santiago using the victims card at an ATM machine.

Mr Hillbilly
02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I was in La Union last September when that carnaval was there.Will be the last.LOL

Weyland I will be happy if I am still alive at your age let alone if my weiner is still working!LOL

Who's cooking for you when Billy's gone?

weyland
02-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Who's cooking for you when Billy's gone?
I have many devoted handmaidens.